[TheSpecialSnowflake] - Administrator Application

Moderators: In-Game Head Admins, In-Game Admin, TGMC Game Server Operators, Game Server Operators, TGMC Administrator, TGMC Lead

TheSpecialSnowflake

Byond Username: TheSpecialSnowflake

[TheSpecialSnowflake] - Administrator Application

Postby TheSpecialSnowflake » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:25 pm #501429

Current ckey and any previous ckeys: TheSpecialSnowflake
Character name(s): Alexis Erin Cain and Lumi Straten
Timezone: EST
Discord tag: Special Snowflake#9815
Any previous experience administrating? Where and in what manner:
Mostly in minecraft servers in the like in the past. Either running or assisting.
How familiar are you with our ruleset:
It is copied from TG but with some modifications, so very familiar.
How long have you been playing TGMC and other servers in general:
Over a year on the TGStation server, almost all of it on Sybil. A few weeks, maybe a month on TGMC.
Have you been banned from any SS13 servers within the past 6 months? If so, what server, and for what reason:
Never
Have you ever recieved a permanent ban from a server? If so, what server, and for what reason:
Never
Why do you believe that you would make a good admin?
In my thoughts I'd be a good admin in the case of being active and wishing to see the server thrive once it hits 24/7. I find myself wanting to come back everytime there's a notification saying it's up and running.
What's one aspect of how you play the game that you think you could improve on?
Finding jobs I like. On TG and the rest I seem to struggle to find roles to play that I'm going to sit down and enjoy but on here I've found I rather enjoy the Chemistry and the CL aspects of it.
What standards do you personally hold players to? How should judgements on their actions be determined?
I expect players to follow the pre-established rules, as long as they're doing that and having fun then they're following standards very well in my eyes. Judgements upon actions should be based on how severe the action was. Actively metagrudging is far more severe than stealing someone's gun.
What is a good metric or standard to go by when doing admin events? What would you try to consider when doing an admin event? How often do you think you'd run admin events?
Ask before hand before anything extreme in case a majourity do not want to be in an admin event, if it's small and not very intrusive, don't be afraid to do it. Rare but frequent enough that people can experience them and enjoy them.
What do you think you'll find most enjoyable about being an admin? What do you think you'll find least enjoyable?
The creative trustworthy side of the community, seeing what they come up with for their characters, seeing how they play out situations in combat and the like. Punishing the bad players, while it is a necessity as joining the server means they've agreed to follow the rules laid down, I wish they would have actually followed them so they could have enjoyed the game along side their fellow players.
No one admins forever. For what reason or how do you think you will stop adminning? Do you think you'll be able to call it quits when you've had enough?
If something comes up in life mostly, I do not have much going on so I can not see a foreseeable future where I will all up and quit at the moment, perhaps breaks and such because everyone requires something.

Please fill out the following example scenarios, put your answer on a separate line from the question:
Spoiler:
1. A player shoots another player near the start of the round, but the MPs have already detained and brigged him.
If the other player wasn't killed, allow the MPs to handle it IC unless the other player AHelps about it, then step in and begin a small investigation into the matter. Question the accused to find out why he shot the victim player and try and decipher if accident or purposeful, metagrudging or just ignorance.

2. You see a player walking around the ship without any clothes on, looking pretty lost.
Poke Mentors to step in and help, if none are around then step in and help myself. Ask if he knows what he's doing and if not, point him to the wiki and the starting area to arm his character up.

3. A player is getting aggressive in adminhelps and requesting to speak to a higher ranking staff member.
Tell the player that acting that way is inappropriate for the situation and that I am who he is dealing with at the time. If I can not diffuse the situation than alert a higher admin to it if they have not stepped in already and request assistance.

4. You notice a player with a name that doesn't fit our naming rules. The player is arguing that they've used the name for several years across multiple servers and no one has told them to change it before.
Simply remind the player of the rules and request them to change it, VV the player so their name is changed for that game to what they've requested. If they refuse then tell them that we have rules to be followed and remove them from that game.

5. You see an MT running around in armor and carrying a rifle. The security level is green with no threat present.
If he doesn't holster his weapon then remind him of the MRP situation and ruling.

6. The round is stagnating. There are 14 marines and 4 aliens (balance will change over time, just imagine a stalemate scenario according to the current meta). The marines won't leave the ship, and the aliens won't attack. What would you do, to "encourage" the sides to engage each other?
Rally the marines! Tell them that the enemy are short and they are many, fortify and prepare for war. Then on the other side, warn the Xenos that the Marines are preparing to wipe them off the face of the earth and that they need to strike. If both or either side fail to initialize, send in a 3rd party to get the mayhem going through dchat members, giving them goals before hand.

7. A marine is running around disarming other marines and stealing their gear near the beginning of the round.
If the MPs don't handle it, step in and tell him to return those things and that this is unacceptable behaviour. If the MPs do handle it, say the same thing except for the return part.

8. A marine has killed another marine. When you ask him why, he said it was because the other marine had punched him or said something rude towards him.
Explain to the marine that it may have been an accident and the other marine may not have meant to punch him. The rude comment explain that escalation rules forbid those kind of actions and leave a note on the account.

9. There are minor racist comments going on IC. 9 of the 10 people are laughing and roleplaying but one player gets offended and adminhelps about it.
Tell the offended to tell his marines to stop. If they continue then warn them myself through some form of IC communications if possible as it is still an IC issue that can be solved in IC. If there is no way then warn them through admin means.

10. A marine opens fire at several marines during briefing killing multiple people and logs off before you can message him.
Instant ban for Griefing. Tell him to explain himself on the forum and appeal.

11. You see a larva die near the frontlines. Upon further investigation, you see that they bursted in a safe place far away.
Ask why they did it, if the Queen allowed it then let it pass. If they did it for no good reason then warn them about not doing it again or to ask the Queen's permission.

12. You see a xeno excessively saying phrases like "Ayyylmao", "Reeeee" and similar in the hivemind chat.
Tell him to stop, once or twice is okay but excessive use of it is pushing it too far. If he continues then give him a netspeak warning.

13. A command staff player mentions during briefing that there might be xenos on the planet.
If they can prove they have evidence that there are 'xenos' aboard the planet then good on them, let it go. If they can not however, then tell them to use 'Life Signs' or something similar.

14. A marine kills another marine on the Evac Pod to take the last spot, but has roleplayed the situation quite well.
If an AHelp is brought up, investigate the IC situation and if it looks sketchy, then warn the offending marine. Tell the killed marine the situation and apologize.

15. You see an SSD Squad Leader in the preparation room 1 hour into the round. When you check the logs, you notice he logged off near the beginning of the round.
Hand over control to Ghost Chat and warn the player next I see him to ahelp saying he'll be logging off next time and to hand control over. If no one takes the role, strip and delete.

16. You see a member of the staff give wrong information in an adminhelp.
Staff chat the member explaining their information is wrong and give them the correct information.

17. You see a member of the staff abusing his powers in-game or otherwise breaking the administrator rules.
Tell them to stop, if they do or don't if it is not an accident, warn a higher member of staff and if they continue, Admin Complaint.

18. You see a player bashing another server or player in OOC.
Sometimes your ruling has to be hard and fast. Tell the player to knock it off and follow the rules, that their actions will not be tolerated on the server.

19. A player ahelps saying that they were instantly killed by another member of their squad. When you ask their squad member who shot them, they said that it was accidental friendly fire.
Find out of this was true or not then warn the offending squad member to be more careful. If not, warn him to go through escalation means and to not do it again.

TheSpecialSnowflake

Re: [TheSpecialSnowflake] - Administrator Application

Postby TheSpecialSnowflake » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:42 pm #501440

For 5: Rule 3, explain the rules state it is an mRP server and then go into the Laws of the ship itself and explain how a green alert means there is no threat to the station and unless he is modifying his weapon, it should not be drawn.

For 9: Take over, tell them to knock it off and explain Rule 1. Depends on the situation but the example makes me believe they're not abiding by rule 1 in the slightest and excusing with with following rule 3. I'd gladly do it because being an admin means that I have agreed to follow and enforce the rules and if I truely had an issue with it, one so deep and burning that I couldn't stand it I would try and petition a change for it, give very good reasons as to why I believe the rules should be changed.

For 13: A little bit of Rule 2 and a little bit Rule 3. The crew knows something is going down on the planet they're above but they don't know what exactly. They know enough to say that there is an issue, distress call was sent to them, and they're here to respond. Assumptions can be made that something bad is down there and it's probably a life sign but straight out saying 'Xenos' is a little far.

For 15: Thank you, I now know I can do that.

TheSpecialSnowflake

Postby TheSpecialSnowflake » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:43 pm #503217

For 5: Explain to them that brandishing their firearm haphazardly could result in them misfiring and hitting a team member and that it would be best to just keep their firearm holstered unless they're modifying it in which they would be standing still.

For 9: If possible, speak though a headset communication like done in TG, if that is not possible, ignore IC methods and speak to them OOC as Administrator. Explain Rule 1 of 'Don't be a dick' and further explain that their actions are making some crew uncomfortable and to stop. Simply put, extremely racist jokes and the like classify as being a dick.

For 13: I was going of the presumption of the lore where the crew didn't exactly know what they were going up against other than a general idea of 'hostile lifeforms'. With reading the rule, I assume I'll just ignore it and let it pass with them yelling Xenos.

TheSpecialSnowflake

Postby TheSpecialSnowflake » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:14 pm #503307

For the open carrying part, it seems there's no recourse for it in the rules and let the military police deal with it if they wish until he does something like shoots another marine.

1: Ignore this if no ahelp is provided, it's obviously in jest and there really is no reason to step in. If an ahelp is provided, explain this to the person ahelping and request them to move along and ignore the two.

2: Tell him to change his name, if you ask for a rule I'm saying Rule 0 and Rule 3. Rule 3 because honestly this is terrible behavior for anyone going to fight an alien species that is 9 times out of 10 going to tear them limb from limb. Just have him change his name to something reasonable and act like a well mannered marine. If they try to argue and fight back, Show them the 'Welcome' section which explains that they should avoid Low RP shenanigans and excessive memes.

3: if no Ahelp happens, ignore it unless it becomes heated and/or metagrudging comes into play. If it does, step in and tell them both to leave each other alone.

4: Allow it unless it becomes extremely excessive and lasts longer than a few minutes, just tell them to move it into another form of communication (Discord, IM, etc.)

5: Let them deal with it IC until he breaks a rule, if it continues in excess, tell him to cool off and walk away.

Rohesie
TGMC Lead

Byond Username: Rohesie

Postby Rohesie » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:53 pm #503471

Hello, and thanks for applying!

After reading your answers I think you have a good general attitude, but two points come out as a bit worrying:

1) On some questions you seem to consider having a rule to back you up as secondary. It is an important pillar of our moderation, and we take heavy inspiration in /tg/ here, not to punish people for things that are not reasonably covered by the rules. Enforcing unwritten rules is how you get arbitrary bans/notes and leads itself to abuse. Some of our rules are broad enough that gives us room to work with, such as rule 1, but in general you'll want to be mentoring people about our rules and their enforcement at first unless there's credible expectation of maliciousness.

2) Your method of dealing with someother issues seems to be quite hands-off, trying not to intervene in things that are deemed IC. This seems to fit very well /tg/ and other servers, but we as a project do take a bit more of a hands-on stance on certain matters. Namely bigotry.
It has been a choice of our project to be proactive in keeping the server more friendly towards friendly people. Not everyone ahelps, the non-confrontational people tend not to be too comfortable doing it, and it doesn't do the server health good when we let toxicity run rampant. Furthermore, some terms are deemed jokes and not said with malicious intent, but they still bother people. It is our stance that we value more people being comfortable here and enjoying the game than people having freedom to use slurs, make use of edgy humor, or simply venting out toxicity. There are a lot of other servers that allow that.
This does not mean we'll be simply banning people for saying slurs. The approach I mentioned on the last point still applies here. The method we are after is poking the person saying those things and chatting with them. Making them understand the server culture we are trying to build and letting them decide if they want to partake it or not. We only apply punishment to those who are unwilling or unable to follow the rules.

This approach can be a bit taxing, I'd say we demand of our admins more than most servers I've been around in. Do consider if you are interested in admining here with this knowledge. It is important to know what you sign for.

Return to TGMC Closed Applications