Monsters of the Multiverse D&D 5th edition hate thread.

Talk about non-ss13 stuff here.
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Monsters of the Multiverse D&D 5th edition hate thread.

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #642376

God it sucks really bad. Didn't they already simplify the game enough? Who are we even marketing the game to anymore?
All the species features are either poorly designed or poorly implemented.

And oh, we better gut all mentions of species of humanoids being "evil" wouldn't want people to think we are racist towards fucking minotaurs.

There is nothing really new in this book aside for a few new playable and poorly designed humanoids, as well as a bunch of changes to monsters that make them simpler meatbags instead of interesting creatures with options that interface with the system the same way the players do. WOULDN'T WANT ANY TACTICS IN OUR COMBAT NOW WOULD WE?

Seriously every mention of "monstrous races" from MTF and VGM has been replace with "fantastical races."
Can't have sadisticly driven orcs anymore because the 2017 movie Bright staring Will Smith used orcs as an allegory for ethnic minorities in the US.

"Oh but I don't want to play an evil character"

Well then don't play an orc, or make up a reason why your orc in particular isn't the murder-y and pillage-y type. REJECTS ARE FUN CHARACTERS.

Where as other books gave us paragraphs on a species lore and traditions. Now all we get it height, weight, languages spoken, and life span.
Its not like they are even trying to gut all lore to make a more "setting independent" sourcebook, it's just specifically any lore that paints humanoid species in a negative life because Wizards of the Coast has lost their damn spine ever since they had a twitter presence.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Re: Monsters of the Multiverse D&D 5th edition hate thread.

Post by Stickymayhem » #642378

5e is a platform to do whatever you want with and the old books didn't just disappear off the face of the planet

not a big deal do what you want
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Itseasytosee2me

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #642379

As an example of this bullshit

The original description:
Lizardfolk possess an alien and inscrutable mindset, their desires and thoughts driven by a different set of basic principles than those of warm-blooded creatures. Their dismal swamp homes might lie hundreds of miles from the nearest human settlement, but the gap between their way of thinking and that of the smooth-skins is far greater.
New description:
Gifted by the gods with remarkable
physical defenses and a mystical connection to the natural world, lizardfolk can survive with just their wits in situations that would be deadly for other folk. Because of that fact, many lizardfolk myths state that their people were placed by the gods in the Material Plane to guard its natural wonders. Lizardfolk have colorful scales and exhibit a wide array of scale patterns. Their individual facial features are as varied as those of lizards.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
Itseasytosee2me

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #642380

Stickymayhem wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 9:32 pm 5e is a platform to do whatever you want with and the old books didn't just disappear off the face of the planet

not a big deal do what you want
True. but it means I won't get any more decent content :cry:
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #642381

You already weren't getting decent content

You were getting 5e
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #642382

did anyone else think this thread was about the new marvel movie
► Show Spoiler
Itseasytosee2me

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #642386

hobgoblin.PNG
hobgoblin.PNG (43.96 KiB) Viewed 10836 times
"Typically lawful neutral"
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (196.52 KiB) Viewed 10836 times
This reads like shit.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
Itseasytosee2me

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #642388

They are charging 60$ for this piece of shit half assed recycled garbage hardcover.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
Rohen_Tahir
Byond Username: Rohen Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #642398

Shadowflame909 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 9:38 pm did anyone else think this thread was about the new marvel movie
you are stupid
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #642422

Itseasytosee2me wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 9:35 pm As an example of this bullshit

The original description:
Lizardfolk possess an alien and inscrutable mindset, their desires and thoughts driven by a different set of basic principles than those of warm-blooded creatures. Their dismal swamp homes might lie hundreds of miles from the nearest human settlement, but the gap between their way of thinking and that of the smooth-skins is far greater.
New description:
Gifted by the gods with remarkable
physical defenses and a mystical connection to the natural world, lizardfolk can survive with just their wits in situations that would be deadly for other folk. Because of that fact, many lizardfolk myths state that their people were placed by the gods in the Material Plane to guard its natural wonders. Lizardfolk have colorful scales and exhibit a wide array of scale patterns. Their individual facial features are as varied as those of lizards.
Now that's a disappointing tonal shift, though not an unsurprising one given recent trends in D&D marketing.
► Show Spoiler
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #642458

Itseasytosee2me wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 9:51 pm They are charging 60$ for this piece of shit half assed recycled garbage hardcover.
you can pirate it
Boot
Byond Username: B00t

Post by Boot » #642588

I think that the leap from errata to we're basically gonna make the old books you bought get phased out because the woke brigade showed up is a shame.

However if you wanna look for the worst change done is has to be the Drow. "Oh that whole Lolth worshiping that we hammered home in every single book? Well that's just Menzoberranzan thing you can find plenty of neutral/good drow all over the place! Some Drow have never even heard of Lolth!" I remember losing my mind over that.

In all honesty the worst change was removing the shades of red dark vision from Fire genasis' and making them just the normal shades of grey.
Image Image
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #642676

makes sense the people complaining here would complain, seeing as they're incapable of experiencing someone elses point of view.
IkeTG
Byond Username: LizardDreams

Post by IkeTG » #642699

I never got people complaining about WOTC removing cultural stuff. People before always tend to prefer setting-agnostic systems to stuff with baked-in setting fluff.

I'm at the same place I was when they started to move away from racial attribute bonuses - Either the setting book should inform this stuff or the party / gamemaster should. The less of Faerun in the system, the better lmao
IkeTG

Post by IkeTG » #642702

Doubleposting to say something with more substance. D&D 5e is good for what it is, a stepping stone into the wider world of ttrpgs. Literally all of your complaints mean nothing because the game will continue to go in the direction of simplification and polish for the money brought in by critical role. Instead seek the warmth and shelter of OSR. If you like power fantasy stuff hit up Godbound, otherwise Worlds Without Number is a really good system in development, or Troika which is a lot more fantasy stuff that tries to be less like D&D.

Also play Lancer RPG!!! I fucking love lancer
Itseasytosee2me

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #642708

IkeTG wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 11:57 pm Doubleposting to say something with more substance. D&D 5e is good for what it is, a stepping stone into the wider world of ttrpgs. Literally all of your complaints mean nothing because the game will continue to go in the direction of simplification and polish for the money brought in by critical role. Instead seek the warmth and shelter of OSR. If you like power fantasy stuff hit up Godbound, otherwise Worlds Without Number is a really good system in development, or Troika which is a lot more fantasy stuff that tries to be less like D&D.

Thanks for the suggestions

Edit: I'm pretty aware of why its happening, and the thought process the designers are going through. I just think they are a bunch of scumbags for doing so. its not so much a problem of gutting lore, but charging 60$ to replace prexisiting content with shittier versions (there IS new lore by the way, it just sucks)
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #642740

Boot wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 10:28 pm I think that the leap from errata to we're basically gonna make the old books you bought get phased out because the woke brigade showed up is a shame.

However if you wanna look for the worst change done is has to be the Drow. "Oh that whole Lolth worshiping that we hammered home in every single book? Well that's just Menzoberranzan thing you can find plenty of neutral/good drow all over the place! Some Drow have never even heard of Lolth!" I remember losing my mind over that.

In all honesty the worst change was removing the shades of red dark vision from Fire genasis' and making them just the normal shades of grey.
Don't pretend that literally tens of thousands of people haven't played Drow PCs that weren't Lolth worshipping wacko if you genuinely think the "Drizzt so cool because he's the only one that escaped being an evil cult!" is epic storytelling you probably find Qanon a compelling and convincing narrative as well. The books are just following actual player behaviour on that front.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #642741

Itseasytosee2me wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 12:57 am
IkeTG wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 11:57 pm Doubleposting to say something with more substance. D&D 5e is good for what it is, a stepping stone into the wider world of ttrpgs. Literally all of your complaints mean nothing because the game will continue to go in the direction of simplification and polish for the money brought in by critical role. Instead seek the warmth and shelter of OSR. If you like power fantasy stuff hit up Godbound, otherwise Worlds Without Number is a really good system in development, or Troika which is a lot more fantasy stuff that tries to be less like D&D.

Thanks for the suggestions

Edit: I'm pretty aware of why its happening, and the thought process the designers are going through. I just think they are a bunch of scumbags for doing so. its not so much a problem of gutting lore, but charging 60$ to replace prexisiting content with shittier versions (there IS new lore by the way, it just sucks)
I can't believe that they pushed the button triggering the microexplosive in every previous copy of the books and deleted all references to them online how could they do this.

This isn't a video game where you lose access to the previous version, and it's not like the whole point of 5e isn't to use it as a platform to build whatever you want on top as well. If you only ever played RAW you were always going to get an inferior experience
Itseasytosee2me

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #642761

I'll admit i'm not personally affected, and my feelings in this thread are blown out of proportions. Its not like any of it even matters, but all the same I express my displeasure. This thread was written for the purpose of !FUN!
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #642857

IkeTG wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 11:49 pm I never got people complaining about WOTC removing cultural stuff. People before always tend to prefer setting-agnostic systems to stuff with baked-in setting fluff.

I'm at the same place I was when they started to move away from racial attribute bonuses - Either the setting book should inform this stuff or the party / gamemaster should. The less of Faerun in the system, the better lmao
Preach it, anything more than basics of lore should be kept in sourcebooks since its always shooed away by half the non faerun settings anyway
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Boot

Post by Boot » #642891

Not-Dorsidarf wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:25 pm Preach it, anything more than basics of lore should be kept in sourcebooks since its always shooed away by half the non faerun settings anyway
So when SpellJammer comes out and they still don't got the alignments or ASI's. When they still gut what makes the races cool because "Oh no we don't want the Githyanki seem like nazis." You're taking the bait of "oh we just don't want everything to be automatically assumed to be the forgotten realms setting XDDD." They already took the scissors to Barovia, I swear to god they'll do the same to SpellJammer.
Image Image
IkeTG

Post by IkeTG » #642899

Boot wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:07 pm So when SpellJammer comes out and they still don't got the alignments or ASI's. When they still gut what makes the races cool because "Oh no we don't want the Githyanki seem like nazis." You're taking the bait of "oh we just don't want everything to be automatically assumed to be the forgotten realms setting XDDD." They already took the scissors to Barovia, I swear to god they'll do the same to SpellJammer.
Starting off weak as heck complaining about lack of alignments or racial scores, it makes me really concerned about what you consider important to make settings or races 'cool'. It's like /tg/ posters who complain about stuff I basically agree with only to figure out down the line they spend four out of the seven days of the week playing super maid girls 5e with their quad-chinned racist friends over discord or shit and five years are shaved off my lifespan out of sheer embarrassment
Boot

Post by Boot » #642901

IkeTG wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:43 pm Starting off weak as heck complaining about lack of alignments or racial scores, it makes me really concerned about what you consider important to make settings or races 'cool'. It's like /tg/ posters who complain about stuff I basically agree with only to figure out down the line they spend four out of the seven days of the week playing super maid girls 5e with their quad-chinned racist friends over discord or shit and five years are shaved off my lifespan out of sheer embarrassment
The story of the Half-Orc that does good dispite being pulled towards evil because their very soul is entwined with the evil orc god is a cool story. Drizzt was cool because he was the exception. If the evil men from the Mongolian underwater basket weaving really bother you that much then I would stop lurking on a 2d spessmen atmos-sim bearing its name.
Image Image
IkeTG

Post by IkeTG » #642906

Boot wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:12 pm Drizzt was cool
opinion discarded. No such thing as a "cool" elf
Boot wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:12 pm If the evil men from the Mongolian underwater basket weaving really bother you that much then I would stop lurking on a 2d spessmen atmos-sim bearing its name.
If that's your takeaway from what I said I'm going to assume the maid girl comment struck a nerve...
Ziiro
Byond Username: Ziiro
Github Username: Ziiro

Post by Ziiro » #642934

I played enough 5e to not like that your character never feels competent at what they should be good at. You can play to your strengths and build a great character and then eat shit at everything you do.

Because of this fundamental failure, you suddenly can't play your character roleplay wise as "I am going to act with confidence/bravado at this thing because my character is good at it", because you're going to keep falling down all those stairs, bro.

I stick to Shadowrun 5e these days where you can play to your strengths while being intelligent in playing around your character's weaknesses. It's a lot more engaging.
Itseasytosee2me

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #642984

Ziiro wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:11 am I played enough 5e to not like that your character never feels competent at what they should be good at. You can play to your strengths and build a great character and then eat shit at everything you do.

Because of this fundamental failure, you suddenly can't play your character roleplay wise as "I am going to act with confidence/bravado at this thing because my character is good at it", because you're going to keep falling down all those stairs, bro.

I stick to Shadowrun 5e these days where you can play to your strengths while being intelligent in playing around your character's weaknesses. It's a lot more engaging.
Shadowrun player spotted. Admiration given.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #643178

i like dwarves
Itseasytosee2me

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #643184

Cool thing i found out, since the release of Monsters of the Multiverse, the price of the dnd 3.5 box set on amazon has gone up nearly 100 US dollars. Guess wizards of the coast knows how to make demand.
motm.PNG
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #643261

Itseasytosee2me wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 9:29 pm God it sucks really bad. Didn't they already simplify the game enough? Who are we even marketing the game to anymore?
All the species features are either poorly designed or poorly implemented.

And oh, we better gut all mentions of species of humanoids being "evil" wouldn't want people to think we are racist towards fucking minotaurs.

There is nothing really new in this book aside for a few new playable and poorly designed humanoids.
Once again, another game staple alongside SS13 ruined by the suspiciously wealthy furries.

Spoiler:
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #643284

Stickymayhem wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 7:41 am if you genuinely think the "Drizzt so cool because he's the only one that escaped being an evil cult!" is epic storytelling you probably find Qanon a compelling and convincing narrative as well.
Boot wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:12 pm Drizzt was cool because he was the exception
I literally laid the trap in front of you did you critfail your perception check
Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #643290

Ziiro wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:11 am I played enough 5e to not like that your character never feels competent at what they should be good at. You can play to your strengths and build a great character and then eat shit at everything you do.

Shadowrun is an awesome game with really solid lore. I tried to run it with some friends years back and it imploded. No one’s had the courage to run it since.

I guess I’ll have to settle with playing a troll decker in the video games.
► Show Spoiler
Ziiro

Post by Ziiro » #643430

Farquaar wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:26 pm Shadowrun is an awesome game with really solid lore. I tried to run it with some friends years back and it imploded. No one’s had the courage to run it since.

I guess I’ll have to settle with playing a troll decker in the video games.
Avoid 6e. Sucks dick. 5e is still good, and it has really good support on the digital side:

Foundry has a really good 5e module that handles a lot of the rolling/grunt work and Chummer5 is a really, really good character creator (And it can import in to Foundry!)

Honest to god if it wasn't for the level of automation I have, I probably wouldn't bother. The fact that every attack takes 3 rolls (Attack/Dodge/Soak) and initiative is rerolled constantly means that the general bookkeeping sucks ass, but modern day innovation really makes it shine.
Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #643456

Ziiro wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:03 pm Avoid 6e. Sucks dick. 5e is still good, and it has really good support on the digital side:

Foundry has a really good 5e module that handles a lot of the rolling/grunt work and Chummer5 is a really, really good character creator (And it can import in to Foundry!)

Honest to god if it wasn't for the level of automation I have, I probably wouldn't bother. The fact that every attack takes 3 rolls (Attack/Dodge/Soak) and initiative is rerolled constantly means that the general bookkeeping sucks ass, but modern day innovation really makes it shine.
Does Chummer automate dicechecks too? I thought it only automated character creation.
► Show Spoiler
Ziiro

Post by Ziiro » #643546

Farquaar wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:58 am Does Chummer automate dicechecks too? I thought it only automated character creation.
Chummer for chargen, Foundry for actually playing the game. (Which prompts and auto-calculates dicerolls - you say "I want this token to attack this using this gun", and it pops up the dice calculated for the attack, and then the defending token's defense roll pops up based on that, and then the soak prompt pops up takes the results of that...)

Anyway I'll stop talking about Shadowrun in the D&D thread now.
Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #643939

when things are dumbed down hard enough, for long enough, people will eventually believe that's the way it's always been. its how history gets replaced with new versions

this is, a bad thing.
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #644227

Boot wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:12 pm The story of the Half-Orc that does good dispite being pulled towards evil because their very soul is entwined with the evil orc god is a cool story. Drizzt was cool because he was the exception. If the evil men from the Mongolian underwater basket weaving really bother you that much then I would stop lurking on a 2d spessmen atmos-sim bearing its name.
Boot wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:12 pm Drizzt was cool because he was the exception.
Boot wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:12 pm Drizzt was cool
question.jpg
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
Itseasytosee2me

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #644248

Drizzt was cool (at least in the first 3 books, haven't read past)
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later