The Comics Thread

Talk about non-ss13 stuff here.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

The Comics Thread

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #271067

Talk about comics with me fuckos

So Marvel in their quest for more money has decided to release variant covers with Mary Jane with super powers. Ain't that fucking great. After all last time this happened the house of ideas gave us such wonders as Spider-Gwen and Gwenpool. I look forward to MJayverine and Iron Jane! I'm being sarcastic. I wonder which of parkers sexual partners will get a variant next? How about Skip, the guy who molested him as a teen?
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Re: The Comics Thread

Post by Qbopper » #271112

one time I read Bone

That was alright
Limey wrote:its too late.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #271566

Why doesn't the hulk wear a shirt?
calzilla1
Byond Username: Calzilla1

Post by calzilla1 » #271568

Web comics?
Life is too short for anything meaningful and too long for anything memeingful
Super Aggro Crag wrote: The best shitpost youll ever be responsible for will be your obituary.
Quality debate brought to you by ColonicAcid wrote:imagine having this little empathy

do you have autism bud? does your brain not see these people as humans? are they just a faceless statistic to you?
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #271580

Super Aggro Crag wrote:Why doesn't the hulk wear a shirt?
sex appeal
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #272349

Best comic series ever.
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #272544

Ricotez wrote:(fuckhuge image)

Best comic series ever.
when I was in elementary school we had to do half the day in french because lol canada and we had this + tintin to read and it was fucking awesome

I never really got the french because it was written above my level but tintin especially was great
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #272599

Qbopper wrote:

Best comic series ever.
when I was in elementary school we had to do half the day in french because lol canada and we had this + tintin to read and it was fucking awesome

I never really got the french because it was written above my level but tintin especially was great
god i am SO DOWN WITH TINTIN
Knaive
Byond Username: Knaive

Post by Knaive » #272662

New Iron Fist show came out and it was dogshit. New Iron Fist comic came out and it looks promising.

also if we're gonna talk webcomics, nedroid and oglaf are cool
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #272815

I'm not an iron fist fan
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #272864

there was some tumblr whinging about iron fist and the like because "reee stereotypes"
Like they tried to make a comparison like "Auuugh you can't just have ninjas as baddies how stupid would bit be if a japanese hero went to investigate a corrupt american corporation's headquarters and cowboys just burst out into the room with lassos or a chinese guy crashed his plane in texas and returned to the east with the ancient art of gunslinging"

the general response was "I'd totally fucking watch that actually"
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #273186

Qbopper wrote:

Best comic series ever.

Asterix is chock-full of French inside jokes and puns, so even if you spoke French fluently most of the jokes would've still gone over your head.

But the translations all try to localize the jokes into their own languages, so I encourage you to just read the English translations instead. From what I've seen they're very good. I read the Dutch translations myself, which are divine.
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #273300

Remember the time jimmy Saville molested Minnie the minx?
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #273328

Donald Duck.

Look at those con men, jesus fucking christ I want to strangle each and every one of them.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #273338

truly a perfect example of the horrors of a capitalist society

scrooge taught those three well
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #273369

Lucky Luke is also a great French comic. Takes place in the 1800s in America, and follows the adventures of a Pony Express rider/cowboy/vigilante named Lucky Luke, and his deadpan snarker horse Jolly Jumper.
Spoiler:
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #273375

Why are you explaining Lucky Luke?
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #273440

why do people explain things
Spoiler:
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #275252

After months of blaming retailers for falling sales and mocking DC for being "regressive" with DC rebirth actually suceeding, marvel finally admits tumblario and huffpuigi doesn't buy comics and they shouldn't put all their eggs in that basket
InsaneHyena
Byond Username: InsaneHyena
Github Username: InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #275257

Suggesting the answer to the question of why people's tastes suddenly changed was better answered by Direct Market retailers, Gabriel told ICv2 that "What we heard was that people didn't want any more diversity. They didn't want female characters out there. That's what we heard, whether we believe that or not. I don't know that that's really true, but that's what we saw in sales."

Gabriel described what was no longer viable as "things that we had been doing successfully for the past three years..."

"We saw the sales of any character that was diverse, any character that was new, our female characters, anything that was not a core Marvel character, people were turning their nose up against," he explained. " That was difficult for us because we had a lot of fresh, new, exciting ideas that we were trying to get out and nothing new really worked."

Gabriel cited other factors for the market shift, including the economy, specifically events occurring in October/November that affected how consumers wanted to spend their money (with the unsaid implication of the U.S. presidential election), unease and lack of cash flow due to returns to Diamond Comic Distributors from DC's "Rebirth" initiative, a glut of product, and just a general sense of anger over all these issues.

"There was anger because of story reasons for all of us."

"It was the old things coming back in that time period, three books in particular, Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows, that had Spider-Man and Mary Jane married, that worked," he further explained. "The Venom book worked and the Thanos book worked. You can take what you want out of who might be enjoying those three books, but it is definitely a specific type of comic book reader, comic book collector that really liked those three series."
They still don't understand why the backlash happened.
Bring back papercult.

Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #275259

Boy I sure do hate brown people and women!
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #275271

i don't know what the context is here

did they make some new comics that happened to have minorities/women that were just kinda meh or something
InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #275273

>Captain America is now an evil nazi! New Captain America is a minority.
>Thor is now unworthy of his own name and hammer. New Thor is a woman.
>Tony Stark is gone (not that anyone seriously misses him). New Iron Man is a black loli. Also, Doctor Doom. Still trying to figure out which one is worse.
>Hulk is now an asian.
>Red Skull is now borrowing his rhetoric from Trump rallies.
>Just in case you weren't sure where Marvel stands on the elections, here's Trump as supervillain MODOK

And it goes on, and on, and on, and they keep shoving it down our throats. Don't get me started on this disgusting America series.

Thank god I'm not a Marvel fan!
Bring back papercult.

InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #275275

Sort of. Kind of. For example, former cap is now the center of Secret Empire story, while Thor has now the Unworthy Thor comic. Meanwhile, in the actual Thor series...

This is not edited in any way.
Bring back papercult.

InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #275279

Yes, you're out of touch. This is Marvel now.
Bring back papercult.

Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #275281

Don't forget that literally every black superhero in marvel shave a secret club they all hang out at to talk about how hard it is to be black. Edcept for Blade. He doesn't care about anything but draculas
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #275292

the censored meme panels are deadpool humor why are they spilling out of it

I mean it's obvious from some of my other posts where I lie politically but even I was shaking my head at that second image (though I did exhale air through my nose at the thor one)

no one wants that shit in their comics, jesus christ, do they really think people will read that and go "HAHA YEAH THIS IS GREAT"? people on the right will be feeling "wtf is this shit, why are they attacking me" and people on the left will think "why is this in a fucking comic book
InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #275298

WTF, I love Red Skull now
Bring back papercult.

Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #275301

ok can we talk about comics and not politics now

has anyone else read that one Archie spinoff with the zombies? found it really damn good, was fucking weird as hell to see them start to swear though
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #275473

Marvel had to face the fact that their readerbase consists largely of male crybabies who can't handle womyn or black people in their comics and will scream and cry about evil SJWs when someone even mentions the word "minority", but at least they tried.
Spoiler:
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #275480

cmon Rico after seeing the actual published examples in this thread you can not possibly think that only "muh sjw" is to blame for this failing can you?
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
TheColdTurtle
Byond Username: TheColdTurtle

Post by TheColdTurtle » #275487

^
There is diversity and then there is marvel. Just look at the examples in the thread and most of marvels new comics.
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #275491

it's hilarious how offended you guys get by those examples
Spoiler:
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #275495

I'm not offended in the slightest, but it is very clear they are trying to push a specific political agenda and calling people crybabies because they don't want to pay money to read that shit is retarded. I would think it was just as stupid if it was a right wing agenda. Quit trying to trivialise peoples opinions
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
certified good poster
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #275498

"I don't want to waste my time reading this tat so I'll spend my money on something I enjoy"
"BLUH BLUH BLUH SO OFFENDED TO BROWN PEOPLE OFFEND YOU BLUH BLUH CRYBABIES"
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #275512

i am curious Ricotez do you buy comic books?
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #275552

Ricotez wrote:it's hilarious how offended you guys get by those examples
dude even the most left of wing comicbook readers must think this is fucking embarrassing, no one is "offended"

also rip comic thread it turned into politics 2.0
Knaive

Post by Knaive » #275611

quick post webcomics
calzilla1
Byond Username: Calzilla1

Post by calzilla1 » #275654

Life is too short for anything meaningful and too long for anything memeingful
Super Aggro Crag wrote: The best shitpost youll ever be responsible for will be your obituary.
Quality debate brought to you by ColonicAcid wrote:imagine having this little empathy

do you have autism bud? does your brain not see these people as humans? are they just a faceless statistic to you?
InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #275734

Speaking of comics, here in Russia we don't really have Marvel or DC. At least if we have comic books, I haven't seen any. But we do have this.

Bring back papercult.

Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #275777

Cool covers! How are the internal?
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #275779

Is this a comic, I think it's a comic.
Spoiler:
InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #276207

Super Aggro Crag wrote:Cool covers! How are the internal?
I've only read the first few issues of each years ago, but they seemed pretty shitty to me - except for Major Thunder, it was decent.

Quick rundown on each:
Major Thunder is a russian cop with no superpowers, but crazy analytical mind. He's like Batman, but no mask or cape.
Red Fury is a spy/criminal. From what I can remember, she's literally Black Widow with serial numbers scratched off, and on her every cover she's barely clothed.
Enoch is a time-travelling priest. Judging from his first issue, his enemies are jews and catholics.
There's also Demonslayer (literally - Impfighter), essentially a Spawn/Hellboy character.

Major Thunder is getting a film adaptation, but since we're talking russian cinema here, it'll be shit. The trailer looks decent, though.

If there's interest, I can translate this to english, but I bet someone before me did it already.
Bring back papercult.

InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #276209

Oh shit, there are actually official translations. You can read first issues of each for free. They translated Enoch as "Friar" for some reason, though.
Bring back papercult.

Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #276212

Friars historically were kinda link monks with the church i think
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #276216

Yeah, I've had a brainfart.
Bring back papercult.

Knaive

Post by Knaive » #276985

It's Wednesday motherfuckers! New comics out today! Whatchu reading?

The new Iron Fist is like Mortal Kombat in comic form so I'm diggin it
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #277021

The new America Chavez book is so bad that its almost an example of Dadaism. Its practically incomprehensible.
InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #277024

Funny you should say that, because I was just reading it. At no point I had any idea what's going on.
Bring back papercult.

Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #277051

is it bad that I unironically want a modern reboot of the Doom comic