Netrunner LCG

Talk about non-ss13 stuff here.
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Netrunner LCG

Post by Ikarrus » #323766

Just getting into it now, it's really fun.

Set in a cyberpunk dystopia, it's an asymmetric card game designed by MTG creator Richard Garfield where players either play as a Corporation trying to advance its agendas or a Runner trying to stop them.

Sign-up google doc https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0
Last edited by Ikarrus on Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Drynwyn
Byond Username: Drynwyn

Re: Netrunner LCG

Post by Drynwyn » #325821

Hit up Timbrewolf sometime on Discord. He plays this.
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
XSI
Byond Username: XSI

Post by XSI » #330847

I've tried to figure out how to start this but I've got no clue
XSI

Post by XSI » #331089

Actually played one
It's good
Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Post by Nabski » #331229

Terminal Directive is a good followup if you're playing in paper and have a partner, which you said you're doing. Past that the big boxes offer a large amount of tools to specific factions.

Jinteki.net is THE place to play online. Pick one between online play and paper play and you'll have a bit of a better time unless you want to just massively buy in like I did. Trying to go back and deckbuild with limitations can be a struggle.

As a side note the original one was made by Garfield. This is actually a reboot of the franchise. Mechanics and many things are the same, but the LCG format is so nice.

We did shaper vs HB, and our campaign ended for shaper by literally one turn. Either they were going to advance and win, or I was going to steal it.
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #331275

I get consistently wrecked on Jinteki.net and I have a win rate of like 5-10%

I have a lot more fun playing with a more limited cardpool with friends. I feel like on Jinteki.net you start seeing a lot of the same decks over and over again.

Also the TD Campaign ended in Runner victory much like yours. HB (me) vs Shaper, and we both qualified for the final objective and just needed to win with our special campaign card, but he clutched it last second with a Medium run on R&D

Playing the campaign was fun, but the story was dogshit
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #331284

I've been playing this infrequently on OCTGN. I'd be down to play a few rounds and feasibly set up a local league if there's enough interest.
XSI

Post by XSI » #331287

Lets get something going then
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #331294

Oooh yeah, I'd love to play with you guys
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #331308

I went ahead and threw together a sign-up sheet. Its nothing fancy. Just names, timezones and a section to note if you use Jinteki.net or Octgn. Once we have a rough headcount we can set up a proper standing board, set up matches, maybe bracket out a couple tournaments or whatever. All of that depends on player headcount though. Otherwise it at least gives us a rough idea of who is available and when/where.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
XSI

Post by XSI » #331309

Signed up
Nabski

Post by Nabski » #331317

Yeah the actual writing of the story was super weak.

Ikkarrus are you struggling more with corp or runner? My biggest advice is that if you're clicking for single credits, you need more econ in your deck.
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #331323

Econ isn't really an issue for me.

I think I just need to be more brave when playing either side. I'm probably just too cautious.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Nabski

Post by Nabski » #331327

Yeah I struggle hard with runner because I tend towards building absurd monsters of board states.

You'd likely be amazed how often you just score naked 3/2s. The most important thing for naked scoring is having enough boring assets that it isn't worth checking everything.
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #331330

PAD campaign and ambush my ass up
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Nabski

Post by Nabski » #331336

If you haven't figured it out already, unless your deck is dedicated to it advanceable ambushes are bad, compared to something like snare. The issue is that with most ambushes can be played around by only running when it's safe to do. (Not last click with an empty hand vs snare, overdraw if it might be junebug).

Obviously you're running jackson right? Lesson one is that all deckbuilding starts with 3 hedge funds and 3 Jacksons.

That being said throwing in an off faction 1x snare can sometimes just win you games.
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #331338

The only advancement ambushes I have are in my Jinteki build.

I've mostly just been playing with the cards I physically have because I like to play with friends as well, but I'm probably going to start using whatever is out there for netplay soon.

Jackson is going to rotate out soon, isn't he?
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Nabski

Post by Nabski » #331346

He is, and limiting your collection is really a pain for online play. Most of the factions have gotten SOME kind of archives related cards which will likely replace him. (I'm torn between wanting to see friends in high places on the most wanted list, and just spamming the fuck out of it)
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #331350

Having a more limited cardpool in an LCG is what attracted me to Netrunner in the first place. I feel like the expanded cardpool is a bit bloated and can be a huge turn-off for newer players like me. For similar reasons I can't get into MTG anymore despite being a fan of it before, but at least in Netrunner you can guarantee you have specific cards.

I'll probably get used to it because I do love Netrunner, but it's been a painful uptake.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Nabski

Post by Nabski » #331351

Building for it's a pain and a half, but for a more limited cardpool check out the 1-1-1 format. It was popular a while back. One core, one big box, one pack. You almost always just pick a pack for the agendas it gives you.
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #331352

Neat.

Yeah, that sounds a lot more interesting to me
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Nabski

Post by Nabski » #331360

In actual talking about the game land.

I've been playing a sparks agency deck a bunch lately because Marilyn campaign. It has just so much more taxing ability now. Biggest complaint is I'll end up with them tagged, 50 credits in the pool and just go uhhhhhhh I didn't include anything else to take advantage of this.

I really like the console out of anarch that draws you as many cards as you access. Is it worse than the shaper one that just draws a card a turn? Maybe.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #331415

Is there a worse feeling than getting oneshot by a Project Junebug?
Nabski

Post by Nabski » #331457

Clearing all the tags from hard hitting news then they play it again.

Because the suffering continues.
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #331468

Damn, the core starter decks are actually pretty solid. Gave me a real tough time, actually.

Reveals a lot about my decks
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
XSI

Post by XSI » #331712

I've tinkered a little with my decks

Not all of them, and I still don't have a clue what to even alter in a runner deck, but I got some slightly upgraded corp stuff now
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #331713

What a difference a good economy does.

I packed my decks with ~2x more econ cards, and I finally started to win a couple of games.

Jinteki is absolutely hilarious to play as btw
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
XSI

Post by XSI » #331717

I noticed. I placed 11 remote servers and placed 2 tokens on every single one of them that could be advanced
9 of them were traps or not worth running on, and the runner got into exactly 3 of them.
I lost that round
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #331718

Imagine playing a Diversified Portfolio (+1 credit for every server you have) to take advantage of that asset spam

I even survived an Apocalypse run because all my traps got sent to the archives which the runner just had to check

And Junebug may not be as threatening as it seems, but I find much satisfaction into the runner hitting a thrice-advanced Cerebral Overwriter doing 3 brain damage.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Nabski

Post by Nabski » #331742

I TOLD YOU YOU NEEDED MORE ECON.

I feel so smugly justified right now.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #331744

XSI wrote:I noticed. I placed 11 remote servers and placed 2 tokens on every single one of them that could be advanced
9 of them were traps or not worth running on, and the runner got into exactly 3 of them.
I lost that round
That goes well until you hit a Crim runner that bleeds you dry through Archives runs.
XSI

Post by XSI » #331755

I have no idea what that is but I kind of want to know
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #331772

XSI wrote:I have no idea what that is but I kind of want to know

Combine that with a Criminal runner like Gabriel Santiago and you're going to be swimming in both money and uncontested HQ runs before the corp knows which way is up. Even droping the Sneakdoor and never activating it requires some response from the corp player which is usually more than enough to disrupt whatever their plan WAS for the turn.
XSI

Post by XSI » #331830

Why would you want to run on the hand of the corp guaranteed to have 3 snares in their deck?
Their agendas are safer on the board than in the hand already
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #331847

XSI wrote:Why would you want to run on the hand of the corp guaranteed to have 3 snares in their deck?
Their agendas are safer on the board than in the hand already
You make the mistake of thinking that every play is looking for agendas. I'm more than happy to make uncontested runs to snatch that Boom! or Celebrity Gift out of your hand before it hits me in the face. It feels a lot nicer and generally safer to be making Account Siphon runs when I know I'm not going to instantly eat a Scorched Earth on the following turn because I didn't have the free clicks to burn my tags. If there's an agenda in your hand instead of hiding in one of your zillion take remotes then that's just gravy.
XSI

Post by XSI » #331867

Had some good games. My corp decks need some work, but they both seem to have potential

Also made a runner deck, using what little experience I have to add good cards with synergy and generally good cards. It would be a very interesting one to try out
Munchlax
Byond Username: Lobstercake

Post by Munchlax » #332025

one a scale of no mans sky to the original sonic the hedgehog, how fun is this
Munchlax
Byond Username: Lobstercake

Post by Munchlax » #332026

oh nvm its a cardgame
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #332070

Martian Whizzmemes is one of the best things I've ever seen.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #332100

Reminder that its really hard to get games with guys from here if there's no means of contact. That means either using the main TGstation discord (easy enough) or joining us on the TGstation Gaming Discord here: https://discord.gg/RB2XHWG
Nabski

Post by Nabski » #332106

I sent you a pray while you were admining yesterday and got no response.

I proceeded to get 7-2'd as skorpios and my opponent had to remind me to fire my ID, so it was for the best.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #332109

Nabski wrote:I sent you a pray while you were admining yesterday and got no response.

I proceeded to get 7-2'd as skorpios and my opponent had to remind me to fire my ID, so it was for the best.
I was likely alt-tabbed and prays don't make sound. Not that pray is an ideal means of communication for that sort of thing, really.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #333119

Ikky kicked the shit out of me in a set.

I've been playing around with the Cache Refresh format. It's fun, it's like a good mix-up of classic Netrunner and new stuff. Bread-and-butter Netrunner with just the newest-of-the-new. If you're new to the game and don't want to deal with a massive cardpool from 5 years of printing it's a decent introduction to the game and I expect to see more people moving to it.

You can find info for how that cardpool works here: http://www.cache-refresh.info/

Even if you aren't playing Cache Refresh remember the first two cycles have officially rotated out. That means no more dealing with Jinteki RP, Whizzard, Chaos Theory, Andy, or Data Leak Reversal decks. Some straight-up utility stuff is out too. No more Jackson Howard. No more Plascrete Carapace.
Last edited by Timbrewolf on Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #333123

Oh one more thing:

There's a chrome extension called "Jankteki" that you can get which will let you add a friendslist for Jinteki.net

If you guys are having trouble coordinating games and meeting up you should add eachother on there and it should let you know when people are logged in looking for games or something.

Also:

Don't discredit yourself as a player for dropping games on Jinteki.net
You're playing against the lifers there. It's THE place to go play the game. The community and prize support for the game is still so small that there's no reason for the best players to turn up at their LGS every week. There aren't random events firing off like that, so outside of the annual tournament buildup and random store packages the best of the best just camp out on Jinteki and practice on whoever they get into games with.

It's kinda like when you log in to an old FPS or fighting game and get queued up in a random match against someone who never stopped playing it. Those are the players you're going to find when you jump into a game with a random opponent.

Take advantage of that, though. If you can get a sec to chat with someone before the game let them know you're still learning. If they hang around a second after the game ask them for some tips on how to get better. "Hey, anything you saw me do really wrong that game?" It's a pretty solid community and whenever I've asked that in person or online I always get a response that's actually helped me get better as a player. Even a few times now while streaming some matches I've had people show up in chat and give me really solid advice.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #333299

Timbrewolf wrote:Ikky kicked the shit out of me in a set.

I've been playing around with the Cache Refresh format. It's fun, it's like a good mix-up of classic Netrunner and new stuff. Bread-and-butter Netrunner with just the newest-of-the-new. If you're new to the game and don't want to deal with a massive cardpool from 5 years of printing it's a decent introduction to the game and I expect to see more people moving to it.

You can find info for how that cardpool works here: http://www.cache-refresh.info/

Even if you aren't playing Cache Refresh remember the first two cycles have officially rotated out. That means no more dealing with Jinteki RP, Whizzard, Chaos Theory, Andy, or Data Leak Reversal decks. Some straight-up utility stuff is out too. No more Jackson Howard. No more Plascrete Carapace.
Odd that J.net's builder is still showing decks with those cards as legal for tournament then.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #333370

Also confusing when I looked into it. Apparently rotation was supposed to happen in the spring of this year to line up with the release of an 8th cycle, but right now I'm counting 7 cycles (last being Red Sands.) Did I miss a cycle somewhere? There's also nothing on the FFG site about development or shipping for a new DP to start an 8th cycle.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #333406

Yeah word is FFG is focusing so much on L5R right now that it's taken resources away from Netrunner and slowed production of the next cycle to a crawl. I would expect us to see the first spoilers from some of the set, or at least a name or something by now.

RE: Source for rotation information

I'm not 100% on it myself really but people keep showing up when I stream the game and asking why we're playing with cards that should've rotated out and stuff.

Despite how much I love this game and how long I've been playing it I'm still pretty bad at it so I just defer to people who are better than me to keep me informed. I remember people saying 2017 would be the year sets would start rotating out so I just kinda assumed that combined with chat = THE TIME IS NOW

I'm guessing you also found and read this:
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/n ... e-the-old/

...which would imply the rotation wont actually hit until whatever this next 8th set is has its first pack go up for sale.

...but again, I dunno? People on Jinteki.net and twitch.tv tell me we shouldn't be running the first two cycles anymore but Netrunnerdb is still marking all that stuff as tourney legal soooooo I would assume I'm actually WRONG about the current rotation and these people are feeding me bullshit.

I guess they're still yet legal to play?

People are still running J.Ho and stuff in their Nationals decks so fuck it. It's all still legal I guess?
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #333419

Timbrewolf wrote:Yeah word is FFG is focusing so much on L5R right now that it's taken resources away from Netrunner and slowed production of the next cycle to a crawl. I would expect us to see the first spoilers from some of the set, or at least a name or something by now.

RE: Source for rotation information

I'm not 100% on it myself really but people keep showing up when I stream the game and asking why we're playing with cards that should've rotated out and stuff.

Despite how much I love this game and how long I've been playing it I'm still pretty bad at it so I just defer to people who are better than me to keep me informed. I remember people saying 2017 would be the year sets would start rotating out so I just kinda assumed that combined with chat = THE TIME IS NOW

I'm guessing you also found and read this:
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/n ... e-the-old/

...which would imply the rotation wont actually hit until whatever this next 8th set is has its first pack go up for sale.

...but again, I dunno? People on Jinteki.net and twitch.tv tell me we shouldn't be running the first two cycles anymore but Netrunnerdb is still marking all that stuff as tourney legal soooooo I would assume I'm actually WRONG about the current rotation and these people are feeding me bullshit.

I guess they're still yet legal to play?

People are still running J.Ho and stuff in their Nationals decks so fuck it. It's all still legal I guess?
Likely what's going on is people are working off the assumption that because rotation should have happened by now that you should just operate like it had (without the benefit of whatever our next DP is even supposed to be to staunch the bleed of losing two whole cycles of cards) and work from that because ~it could happen at any second~ and then you'll be high and dry for whatever the post-rotation meta is like. So there's some logic to it.

Its kinda stupid on FFG's part. FFG told people we'd have Cycle 8 stuff by Spring, but it never materialized and that was the trigger for rotation. No trigger, no rotation. They did something similar to this with UFS before they dropped the game and Jasco had to pick it up, but I doubt FFG could be stupid enough to lose Netrunner. They're just not very good at keeping up with dev cycles.

In any event, you should join the roster and join the gaming discord and play a few games with us.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #333787

I put my name on the list. I'll join the discord but if it seems like my presence is disruptive I probably wont appear much.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #335704

>Dig the 19 remaining cards in R&D with a sweet Counter Surveillance
>Score two points and lose the game
End me.