"Tell me" - elaborate language discussion

Talk about non-ss13 stuff here.
miggles
Byond Username: Miggles

Re: Tell me

Post by miggles » #28699

Some weird obscure website called Google wrote:Freedom is a state of being capable of making decisions without external control.

Liberty, on the other hand, is freedom which has been granted to a people by an external control.
dezzmont wrote:I am one of sawrge's alt accounts
dezzmont wrote:sawrge has it right.
Connor wrote:miggles is correct though
ColonicAcid
Byond Username: ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #28738

Yes that's called semantics.
It's part of all modern linguistic studies worldwide.
Even polish.
crack is whack but smacks got your back
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #28741

From what I've been told, mostly Asian languages are the hardest languages for English speakers to learn. I think Japanese is the hardest language to learn of the bunch.

English is a great language for a bunch of reasons, such as having the greatest versatility of any other language due to English having the largest vocabulary of any other language, the fact that English is usually seen as the dominate 'internet' language and a whole bunch of other historical and practical reasons.

English may be simple, but that makes it very effective.
QuartzCrystal
Byond Username: QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #28744

How is that a pointless separation?

The concept of liberty has sources in the vast majority of human development in which freedom was hampered but not in a literal way. Being physically chained is a limiting of my literal freedom, yet social norms, laws or even simply power of any kind (particularly authoritative) do not limit my freedom, but do limit my liberty. The entire question of how much liberty ought to be afforded to individuals has been the basis of countless wars, revolutions and political and philosophical treatises.

English just has two separate words for it, while other languages do as well some require a bit more context for the two separate concepts to be conveyed.
ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #28745

liberté égalité fraternité
bockman22
Byond Username: Bockman22

Post by bockman22 » #28747

English is hardest to learn with all teh rules and stuff. Japanese is hard aswell with all the characters, but my mom says English is alot harder to her.
ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #28764

Violaceus wrote:Don't tell me about polish, language too hard for any english speakers. We have like 8/24 words for every single english word (it depends if its related with gender or not), our language is far more subtle and you know what?
>

English also has 8 to 24 words for each word as well.
A thesaurus isn't just used in your country y'know.
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #28772

bockman22 wrote:Japanese is hard aswell with all the characters
Steelpoint wrote:I think Japanese is the hardest language to learn of the bunch
Japanese really isn't that hard.
The only hard part is Kanji, cos they're like 2000+ in active usage.

Kana is easy, there's only 52 characters, each character is 2 latin/english letters.
Then you just have to remember what letters turn into different letters,
Like T becomes D and H becomes B etc.

and then all the rules of where you place things.
oh and extended vowels and consonants.
私は完璧
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Re: "Tell me" - elaborate language discussion

Post by Ricotez » #28785

English is really fucking hard because for every grammatical rule, there's two dozen exceptions and special cases.
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #28817

ColonicAcid wrote:
Violaceus wrote:Don't tell me about polish, language too hard for any english speakers. We have like 8/24 words for every single english word (it depends if its related with gender or not), our language is far more subtle and you know what?
>

English also has 8 to 24 words for each word as well.
A thesaurus isn't just used in your country y'know.
Also dialectal differences.

There are a dozen different names for this:

In Yorkshire alone
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #28833

A dozen different names for a loaf of bread.
A
LOAF
OF BREAD
QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #28843

>thread starts with OP asking for the difference between two concepts
>disregards answer, assumes there's no difference and attributes it to language
>philosophy graduate (me) comes in and further explains it
>LOL LANGUAGE IS SO WEIRD AND HARD GUYS

This isn't a fucking language distinction. It's two different concepts.

UGH YOU NON PHILOSOPHERS ALWAYS GET BOGGED DOWN WITH STUPID IDEAS.
ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #28846

Levo ergo sum.
Big Faggot
Byond Username: Floof5467

Post by Big Faggot » #28884

hey buddy, friend, can i ask you a question?

whats it like to be the niggers of europe polack.
Munchlax
Byond Username: Lobstercake

Post by Munchlax » #28888

i would say the greek are the real niggers of europe but whatever
miggles
Byond Username: Miggles

Post by miggles » #28890

are you serious
slavs are the niggers of europe
greece is like the south of europe
dezzmont wrote:I am one of sawrge's alt accounts
dezzmont wrote:sawrge has it right.
Connor wrote:miggles is correct though
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #28895

You know Quartz, philosophy is a fake qualification, like basket weaving
kosmos
Byond Username: Kingofkosmos

Post by kosmos » #28896

Violaceus wrote:I am not talking about synonims, but... instances.

For example, in english there is word Pole, describing member of my nation (not fucking pollack)

One word.

In polish it is:
polak
polaka
polakowi
polaka
polakiem
polaku

And female:
polka
polki
polce
polkę
polką
polko

12 words.
In Finnish language that number is 2253. Seriously you can bend a word in 2253 different ways and they're all valid, although most very rare, but recognizable to all Finnish speakers. For example "kauppasikin" (kauppa-a-si-kin ILL SG SG2 KIN) would be "your shop also".
QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #28931

Malkevin wrote:You know Quartz, philosophy is a fake qualification, like basket weaving
What does that make linguistics?
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #28944

kosmos wrote:
Violaceus wrote:I am not talking about synonims, but... instances.

For example, in english there is word Pole, describing member of my nation (not fucking pollack)

One word.

In polish it is:
polak
polaka
polakowi
polaka
polakiem
polaku

And female:
polka
polki
polce
polkę
polką
polko

12 words.
In Finnish language that number is 2253. Seriously you can bend a word in 2253 different ways and they're all valid, although most very rare, but recognizable to all Finnish speakers. For example "kauppasikin" (kauppa-a-si-kin ILL SG SG2 KIN) would be "your shop also".
Sure, but you can do that in English, change a words inflection, or the subtext due to previous or preceding words and a word such as "Fuck" can have so many different meanings. It's just we don't change a word ending to show this in written text (hence why sarcasm is incredibly hard to notice/say in text form).
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #28959

QuartzCrystal wrote:
Malkevin wrote:You know Quartz, philosophy is a fake qualification, like basket weaving
Linguistics is the study of nuances and history of written and spoken languages, a bit of a mixture history, archaeology, and psychology.

Philosophy is for tweed jacket wearing oddballs that aren't smart enough for a real science
QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #28977

Malkevin wrote:
QuartzCrystal wrote:
Linguistics is the study of nuances and history of written and spoken languages, a bit of a mixture history, archaeology, and psychology.

Philosophy is for tweed jacket wearing oddballs that aren't smart enough for a real science
lolok
Whoisthere
Byond Username: Whoisthere

Post by Whoisthere » #29372

I wish I could speak using :b in real life.
It would make everything so much easier.
Sad elegy
Highly suitable for use in funerals
Kavaloosh

Post by Kavaloosh » #29394

We are thinking in that language, you simple minded people who think in engrish.
>says english has pointless words
>that whole post
Confront them with annihilation, and they will then survive; plunge them into a deadly situation, and they will then live. When people fall into danger, they are then able to strive for victory.