2k18 /pol/

Talk about non-ss13 stuff here.
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Re: 2k18 /pol/

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #407824

Bottom post of the previous page:

oranges wrote:americans are utterly deranged when they try to defend their gun laws

just say
>it's our constitutional right and I don't agree with gun control because I like using firearms.

Then we all nod that you're crazy and move on
Expecting american's to forcefully conform to your standards that disbands their opinion and legal rights.

Spoiler:
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #407833

Rustledjimm wrote:Try minimum alcohol pricing. Absolute rage about it up here.

Doesn't bother me mind, I don't really drink ASDA own brand lager.
Get yourself a big bucket and some yeast

they can't charge you alcohol duty if it isn't alcohol until after you buy it
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #407841

>moonshine

enjoy your blindness
XSI
Byond Username: XSI

Post by XSI » #407870

All this gun control stuff is ultimately pointless anyway

If people start shooting eachother just because they have guns, they sure as fuck will shoot the cops coming to take their guns.
You can convince cops to try that for maybe two or three days, but after that they'll be tired of getting shot at

Regardless of what people think of them, guns are there to stay. Especially with upcoming 3d printing letting people print guns. Not amazing guns, but still guns
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #407873

You don't send cops to confiscate guns, you send FBI SWAT teams, the army or the national guard, it would be a military operation coordinated between combined arms supporting each other to minimize fatalities and guarantee speed and efficiency.

But this is an old chestnut, "the army wouldn't fire on fellow american citizens yadda yadda" (despite the fact they are sworn to defend the US against all enemies both foreign and domestic)
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #407914

XSI wrote:All this gun control stuff is ultimately pointless anyway

If people start shooting eachother just because they have guns, they sure as fuck will shoot the cops coming to take their guns.
You can convince cops to try that for maybe two or three days, but after that they'll be tired of getting shot at

Regardless of what people think of them, guns are there to stay. Especially with upcoming 3d printing letting people print guns. Not amazing guns, but still guns
Are you really that certain that people would irrationally shoot at the police without a deathwish (rather than "alright guvenor a slap on the wrist for you and a cell with a TV for the next 10 years for killing a quarter of the local police force and handfuls of innocent bystanders" aka: Anders Behring Breivik closer to home and in living memory) and that by walking in and taking the guns away you're creating a major constitutional crisis in a country besides your own.

This week, multiple people have been knived and gunned down in England outside London in a country with a incredibly high level of intolerance to personal weapons and level of monitoring of the public, If you really want a gunless society then either accept people have guns and veto those who use them in bad faith utmost severely while working with the community who own guns who are likely to be pro-law abiding citizens or follow Japan with ultra strict gun laws to express competency and reason (though thiers works mainly because there was not a lot of gun ownership in the first place and it bureaucratizes the process of obtaining fresh new guns to be hard.)

The western world's relation with guns is mostly through antiques and those either bought illegally or literally handed down between generations,

Spoiler:
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #407921

Grazyn wrote:You don't send cops to confiscate guns, you send FBI SWAT teams, the army or the national guard, it would be a military operation coordinated between combined arms supporting each other to minimize fatalities and guarantee speed and efficiency.

But this is an old chestnut, "the army wouldn't fire on fellow american citizens yadda yadda" (despite the fact they are sworn to defend the US against all enemies both foreign and domestic)
You want a civil war? That's how you get a civil war. You'd have to deploy the millitary across the entire country and invade every single person's privacy known gun owner or not since a ton of guns in the country the government doesn't know about. It'd be fucking hysterically unpopular.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #407926

The US government has contingency plans for everything. I'd be surprised if they don't have a plan to deal with such a scenario (mass police action backed by the army with nation-wide unrest)

Also it wouldn't be like "every single gun must be confiscated or the operation is a failure", if a bunch of farmers who live off the radar in the middle of nowhere get to keep their guns, so be it, they'll get to them eventually
Screemonster

Post by Screemonster » #407927

ShadowDimentio wrote:
Grazyn wrote:You don't send cops to confiscate guns, you send FBI SWAT teams, the army or the national guard, it would be a military operation coordinated between combined arms supporting each other to minimize fatalities and guarantee speed and efficiency.

You want a civil war? That's how you get a civil war. You'd have to deploy the millitary across the entire country and invade every single person's privacy known gun owner or not since a ton of guns in the country the government doesn't know about. It'd be fucking hysterically unpopular.
That is a point. If you wanted to get rid of the 2nd amendment in any meaningful way, it'd also be necessary to trample the 4th - and try getting that past groups like the ACLU.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #407935

Grazyn wrote:The US government has contingency plans for everything. I'd be surprised if they don't have a plan to deal with such a scenario (mass police action backed by the army with nation-wide unrest)

Also it wouldn't be like "every single gun must be confiscated or the operation is a failure", if a bunch of farmers who live off the radar in the middle of nowhere get to keep their guns, so be it, they'll get to them eventually
I sincerely doubt they have such a plan since the army would almost certainly be backing the citizenry in such a scenario unless the situation was actually so dire that it warranted it.

And I'm not talking about bumblefuck farmers, I'm talking about the vast majority of guns being untracked and untrackable. Guns are given away as gifts are sold off the market all the time, the only way you'd figure out where they were is either someone telling you or by searching everything and hoping you find one.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Rustledjimm
Byond Username: Rustledjimm

Post by Rustledjimm » #407941

The first civil war was over slavery MUH STATE RIGHTS. The second civil war will be over guns MUH FREEDOM.

You heard it here first kids.
So uhh, I'm an admin. Please leave feedback! Oops took me a while to strike that through.

Will Baker
Suzu Suzaku
TBC
Spoiler:
Personal Ban Length Record: 2.1024e+006 minutes
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #407942

I mean only if the government actually somehow passes a ban on guns despite it being a hysterically unpopular issue
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #407945

Rustledjimm wrote:The first civil war was over slavery MUH STATE RIGHTS. The second civil war will be over guns MUH FREEDOM.

i mean yeah, but that's only gonna happen if they actually try to forcefully take guns
the fact is that gun control is just too hard/laughably impossible to actually fully implement due to the scale of the US and the spread of guns being so wide
as i already posted, whether guns are good or bad is really irrelevant, because the fact is at this point we just can't implement any meaningful method of removing guns. we can make future guns harder to acquire, but that's about it, and illegal weaponry would still be largely unaffected.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Rustledjimm
Byond Username: Rustledjimm

Post by Rustledjimm » #407958

CosmicScientist wrote:So no headpat?
Sorry was phoneposting

Of course you can get a headpat.

*gives many headpats to cosmic*

you headpat slut
So uhh, I'm an admin. Please leave feedback! Oops took me a while to strike that through.

Will Baker
Suzu Suzaku
TBC
Spoiler:
Personal Ban Length Record: 2.1024e+006 minutes
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #407960

Kor wrote:
Kor wrote:Jumping off a bridge takes significantly more planning than picking up an object in your home and applying 5lb of force to a trigger. Strangling yourself also takes quite a bit more work and is less likely to succeed.

Most suicide attempts are very impulsive and most people who try it don't do it again afterwards, so if they're talked down or live through the attempt it gives you a chance to treat them.

If you want to make a "freedom vs security" argument or whatever, go ahead, I'm not gonna get into the philosophical weeds with you, but "suicidal people are unstoppable Terminators bent on self destruction, we are helpless" is one of the dumber talking points that keeps popping up in gun debates.

Doubt you'll click through to either link but they'll make my post look nicer so

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21034205 IDF suicide rates drop after restricting access to firearms on the weekends

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/means-matter/ Citations for the stuff about suicide being impulsive + the methods mattering
Quoting this so david can again quietly drop out of the argument then go back to saying the same disproven nonsense a couple months later
Operation "emptyquote" is a go
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #407963

tbh I have literally zero interest in the gun debate.

The only thought I have on the topic is that the media needs to stop over-reporting every incident because in most cases it leads to encouraging other shootings, much how people imitate serial killers in copycat killings.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #407982

Grazyn wrote:they'll get to them eventually
Imagine actually wanting to live in this flavor of dystopia, but unironically.
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #407991

PKPenguin321 wrote:
Rustledjimm wrote:The first civil war was over slavery MUH STATE RIGHTS. The second civil war will be over guns MUH FREEDOM.

i mean yeah, but that's only gonna happen if they actually try to forcefully take guns
the fact is that gun control is just too hard/laughably impossible to actually fully implement due to the scale of the US and the spread of guns being so wide
as i already posted, whether guns are good or bad is really irrelevant, because the fact is at this point we just can't implement any meaningful method of removing guns. we can make future guns harder to acquire, but that's about it, and illegal weaponry would still be largely unaffected.
It wouldn't happen out of the blue. If I wanted to achieve full gun control, that's how I'd do it. It would be a slow, multi-phase approach

Phase 1: creation of consent/public support
staged mass shootings, exploitation of mass shootings, media fanfare, protests, astroturfing - basically, what is already happening.
This phase wouldn't actually end but continue through the whole ordeal to guarantee constant support

Phase 2: reduction of access, traceability
gun tax, national gun registry, compile databases, ban private sales/gun show sales, crack down on the secondary market, background checks, exploit social media to acquire data on off-registry gun owners, increase bureucracy on sales, start school programs to encourage children to inform on gun owners, be their neighbour or their parents and family friends

Phase 3: soft bans, first gun reduction
nationwide buy-back programs, ban rifles/carbines (exceptions for specific hunting licences), don't touch handguns and pistols

Phase 4: all firearms banned
by now people are used to guns being a "hot" item, offer every kind of incentive to give up your gun, heavy astroturfing campaign to ostracize gun owners, start placing deadlines and threats of arrests. Most people in large liberal urban centers will comply without question

Phase 5: forced confiscation
the aforementioned "civil war" scenario, it wouldn't actually be a civil war but a complex and swift military action with very limited casualties, focused on uncompliant multiple-gun owners. Planning for this phase would start as soon as phase 1 with exercises and contingency plans (think Jade Helm) and will rely heavily on the accuracy of the tracking process in phase 2. Casualties will appear as traitors and criminals thanks to years of propaganda on the media, and the violent state action will prompt more people to comply and give up their guns in exchange of pardons.

Congratulation, now you should have reduced the number of privately owned weapons by 70-80% and can finally start every authoritarian reform you've always dreamed of but was afraid to do because of the armed populace! And they said it was hard...
Last edited by Grazyn on Mon May 07, 2018 9:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #407992

>staged mass shootings
>already happening
are you the new shadowdimentio?
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #407997

DemonFiren wrote:>staged mass shootings
>already happening
are you the new shadowdimentio?
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
ColonicAcid
Byond Username: ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #408000

>his byond name is david

:thinking:
crack is whack but smacks got your back
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #408005

ColonicAcid wrote:>his byond name is david

:thinking:
What did he mean by this
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #408093

Wyzack wrote:
Kor wrote:
Kor wrote:Jumping off a bridge takes significantly more planning than picking up an object in your home and applying 5lb of force to a trigger. Strangling yourself also takes quite a bit more work and is less likely to succeed.

Most suicide attempts are very impulsive and most people who try it don't do it again afterwards, so if they're talked down or live through the attempt it gives you a chance to treat them.

If you want to make a "freedom vs security" argument or whatever, go ahead, I'm not gonna get into the philosophical weeds with you, but "suicidal people are unstoppable Terminators bent on self destruction, we are helpless" is one of the dumber talking points that keeps popping up in gun debates.

Doubt you'll click through to either link but they'll make my post look nicer so

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21034205 IDF suicide rates drop after restricting access to firearms on the weekends

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/means-matter/ Citations for the stuff about suicide being impulsive + the methods mattering
Quoting this so david can again quietly drop out of the argument then go back to saying the same disproven nonsense a couple months later
Operation "emptyquote" is a go
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #408142

acceptable selfquote tbh

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #408152

Xsi's post on fixing society is about the only sane post. Imagine the creativity of grazyns post or energy from the furor from either side of the debate put to making people be able to be better people. What a shame.
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #408155

That is to say, in between the chilling conclusion of grazyns post and kors links, there must be a happy medium possible for any society which achieved a minimum of people who need to seek help.
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #408160

imblyings wrote:That is to say, in between the chilling conclusion of grazyns post and kors links, there must be a happy medium possible for any society which achieved a minimum of people who need to seek help.
I wish "we need to improve mental healthcare" was an actual statement with an actual follow-up and not just a sentence thrown in by politicians every time there's a mass shooting to switch the focus from gun control. This isn't just an american issue, the state of mental healthcare everywhere is abysmal
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #408162

as evidenced by people like you still having internet access instead of being institutionalised
lmao gottem

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #408201

I'm not even trying to argue about whether we should regulate/ban/whatever guns or not (because I know such a debate is pointless*), I just think it is perverse to spread harmful myths about suicide and throw sick people under the bus to try and win a political argument.

*The fact that multiple people assumed I wanted to ban all guns for even recognizing there are downsides to them shows how completely broken dialogue around the issue is.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #408214

In regards to suicide prevention and treatment mental health care "improvements" a lot of that is going to have to come from within the practice. It isn't like there are current laws or barriers preventing MHS from being "improved" but that the current practices implemented don't really allow for a wide range of interventions that allow for the sort of long-term treatment required. For instance, Canada (and I believe the US works on a similar model) really doesn't have much beyond the "Helpline" > voluntary psychiatric evaluation >involuntary commission model. This means that when the two layers below fail, the only thing the system knows how to do for a patient suffering from depression leading to suicide is to throw them into a psych ward with manics, psychotics and patients deluded with other severe abnormal psychological conditions (violent schizophrenia for example.) I've got a friend dealing with that currently.

This is mostly due to a lack of methodical research in the field, our general just unknowable quantities about how the human brain works even now, the fact that most drugs prescribed for MH patients are co-morbid with either the same or entirely different severe mental health issues (heance why so many newsmaking violent episodes you end up hearing about are on one flavor of SSRI or the other), and partly that people around sufferers really just don't know what to do to help because even MH professionals don't really know what to do in many cases.

The field is also becoming increasingly politicized from within, but its not really right to ascribe that to part of the failure of the MH apparatus as a whole.
XSI

Post by XSI » #408249

Grazyn wrote:
imblyings wrote:That is to say, in between the chilling conclusion of grazyns post and kors links, there must be a happy medium possible for any society which achieved a minimum of people who need to seek help.
I wish "we need to improve mental healthcare" was an actual statement with an actual follow-up and not just a sentence thrown in by politicians every time there's a mass shooting to switch the focus from gun control. This isn't just an american issue, the state of mental healthcare everywhere is abysmal
Alright, here we go
"we need to improve mental healthcare"

Step 1- Understanding the causes. Some mental problems are genetic, some are socially induced. People love saying the latter and then connecting it to their political view to make their side have the high ground and then just pound the other side calling them evil. Instead, do studies to figure out how the financial system, school system, and even things like what people do cause mental health damage. I can't be arsed to look them up right now, but I can tell you the ones I've found-
1.1 Financial system and debt places large amounts of stress on individuals, financial problems are the number 1 reason for failed marriages and stress among adults. Better help for people in debt and stronger rules against predatory finance will help create a healthier society. This also includes long work hours for little money, abusive bosses at the workplace, inflation eating away your income and savings, and abusive management at work
1.2 Neurologically, children are wired to get up late and spend their energy running around. Sending them to school early in the morning and forcing them to sit still in classrooms leads to children who are unhappy. Unhappy children are less tolerant of eachother, and bully eachother more. Greater pressure is put on conforming because they're all incredibly stressed and they do not want to deal with people being different
1.3 Adding on to this, teens especially are just much more vulnerable to stress and in general do not yet have the long term foresight that people at ages 23 and up have
1.4 Repression of all kinds- If someone feels like they are being repressed for something they can not help (Gay, nerd, FOOKIN WHITE MALE, etc), then that leads to large amounts of stress and a feeling of being 'other' to the group. This actively encourages the human brain to see the rest of society not as their home and their group, but as a competing tribe. This makes violence against society and especially groups that they feel are damaging or pushing them out them a lot easier to accept for the brain. This includes divisive politics, if someone spends years hearing that they are evil, the enemy of society, and bad people, then they will have no problem with not belonging to society and doing bad things to it and people in it.

Step 2- Solve the causes
2.1 For the genetic problems, provide screening for as little as possible or even free to make sure everyone knows what they and their children are at risk of. Knowledge is power, and people can find treatment easier that way.
2.2 The previously mentioned debt help and rules against financial predators. Attempt to raise living standards and reduce the financial pressure on people. This is amusingly probably the hardest thing to do because there are people who actively encourage these things for their own benefit, and getting this resolved would mean fighting them
2.3 School system redesign to fit modern knowledge. The school system across the west originated in Prussia to teach literacy to the peasants and factory workers. While it works great for teaching this literacy, it's not intended to be used as the glorified daycare for 10+ years that it is today. But with parents each working one or even two jobs, it's going to stay in use as such. Either solve the financial problem to give parents time to help their children so the pressure is off schools, or completely redesign school using neurological knowledge to encourage actual learning and avoid undue stress. This will likely reduce bullying and school incidents by a lot.
2.4 Politics! Everyone has a problem with politicians. Everyone blames the other side. Have we considered that maybe the system is the problem? For European politics, instead of voting on just a party and then the party deciding 'haha we won, now we're going to go form a government with our arch-enemies and piss away all our talking points', there needs to be a way to vote on government and their plans, rather than just voting for a group and then hope really hard that this group does what they said they'll do. For US politics, consider an alternative vote system where you can rank candidates by preference, so if Trump vs Hillary happens, you can vote Bernie as priority 1, then Libertarian party as 2, and then whoever of the big main candidates as 3. That way, first the votes are counted, and the least popular eliminated. If in this example Bernie loses, your vote goes to Libertarians, rather than just being lost and not counting. This will give you actual choices as opposed to half the population voting Trump because they hate Hillary and the other half voting Hillary because they hate Trump

It's not much, but it would be a start. Of course you can just pour more money into research and into the medical health system, but just throwing money at it doesn't help fix things. Research can help fix things eventually and is absolutely necessary for a true long term solution, and the money will help increase capacity until we get there, but we're going to need to find a way to solve what we've already found to be sources of the bad stuff(tm) in society if we want to really fix the problem
XSI

Post by XSI » #408339

It mostly avoids the existing support structures and instead I post a load of text I don't expect anyone to read about what brings people to need these services
A great many more things than just what I mentioned causes it, I just picked out the biggest ones
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #408359

[youtube]CH1Q738UEsQ[/youtube]

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
XSI

Post by XSI » #408364

Tl;dr version: Society is fucked because nobody gives enough of a shit to fix the problems, they just whack symptoms when they show up and call it good enough
XSI

Post by XSI » #408792

It was always a mess
But what has the orange pres been up to anyway?
XSI

Post by XSI » #408812

The middle east will be fucked as long as the Saudis and Israel keeps deciding US foreign policy. They do not want there to be peace

So whatever happens, expect the middle east to remain fucked until foreign policy changes dramatically
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #408865

There'll be peace in the Middle East when it stops being profitable for there to not be peace.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #408871

says the crusader
how interesting

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
ohnopigeons
Byond Username: Ohnopigeons
Github Username: ohnopigeons

Post by ohnopigeons » #408883

The profit comes from US neoconservative lobby and interest groups, based off of neoconservative memes, directly to the politicians themselves.

So no, it will never stop being profitable.
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #408930

The military-industrial complex is a machine that feeds on death. It's a massive, abhorrent Moloch that every once in a while requires a sacrifice to grant its gifts and politicians, either red or blue, are its trusted ministers. The time has come and once again, it must be fed. And it will be.
XSI

Post by XSI » #408934

They figured out a solution to going to war though

Why send your soldiers when you can just supply the guns to ISIS? They'll do the fighting, and you can sell your guns!
Screemonster

Post by Screemonster » #408937

DemonFiren wrote:says the crusader
how interesting
the crusades were about protecting a profitable trade route, all the religious stuff was just dressing to sucker people into it
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #408938

XSI wrote:They figured out a solution to going to war though

Why send your soldiers when you can just supply the guns to ISIS? They'll do the fighting, and you can sell your guns!
It sated the beast for a bit, but the prey has been chewed to the bone, and now it hungers for more.
The Clowns Pocket

Post by The Clowns Pocket » #408957

Politics in a nutshell NON NTR POO POST EDITION

Hey look what CRAAAAZY THING Donald "Hitler" Trump is doing today for whom is also a Russian spy who makes us REALLY ANGRY! Boy do we hate Trump! Something Meuller Probe and smoking gun!
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #408959

Hush, the grown-ups are talking
XSI

Post by XSI » #408969

I find it amusing that the only response to "Please stop bullshitting us, news networks" is "RUSSIAN EVIL TROLLBOTS!" and fearmongering

Really makes it hard to take any mainstream news serious
leibniz
Byond Username: Leibniz

Post by leibniz » #408975

It's really amusing to see US media sucking chinese dick just because they insulted drumpf after he made some retarded tweet.
Founder and only member of the "Whitelist Nukeops" movement
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #408991

excepting the heroic fox news, right?

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
leibniz

Post by leibniz » #408998

DemonFiren wrote:excepting the heroic fox news, right?
I wouldn't be sad if fox stopped existing
Founder and only member of the "Whitelist Nukeops" movement
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #409001

I would be, sad day for comedy.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
leibniz