Re: 2k18 /pol/

Post by Malkevin » #412115

Bottom post of the previous page:

Wilders has no chin.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #412522

You can use statistics to misrepresent anything.

hell you can use statistics to say that Vatican city has 2.3 Popes per square mile. I don't trust percentages for the same reason unless there is an actual value given, percentages rarely mean jack shite without them,
ColonicAcid
Byond Username: ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #412527

get me statistics for the 18-21 demographic which is the most common university age and what percentage of those youth are white/black/asian/whatever and then compare that with the amount in uni.

also oxbridge stats for ethnicities are skewed heavily towards asians for "minority students" which is why people are complaining about having very little people of colour even though it is near the national average.
crack is whack but smacks got your back
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #412575

So... Antipope...
Zladko Vladcik?
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #412691

monaco police uniforms never fail to be dangerously sexy, cloaks/capes falling out of fashion was such a mistake
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
Sometinyprick
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: STP

Post by Sometinyprick » #413012

CosmicScientist wrote:Flipped on prime minister's questions, Theresa said Labour said they were going to remove capitalism, got very confused because this isn't the low brow I'm used to.

Something about Ukraine getting more anti tank weapons from Murica because of bribery.

Spit/bite hoods have come up again with the new banker home secretary upset not everywhere in England & Wales has them.

Labour MP uses twitter, outcome polarising and easy to make a news article about:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44221469 wrote:The proportion of Oxford students identifying as black and minority ethnic was 18% in 2017, up from 14% in 2013. However, that figure still falls below the UK university average of 25%.
The most recent UK census showed 14% of the UK population identifies as black or minority ethnic.
Data in the university's report showed that, of the students that achieved three 'A' grades or higher in their A-levels nationwide, 20% identified as black and minority ethnic.
Or in other words,
>a higher proportion of minorities are applying than exist at the university
>a higher proportion of minorities exist in the university than the UK
>the national average for all universities is higher still
This is an odd one. Apartheid has been referenced because of course it has. North-south divide has been referenced but is window dressing. The article doesn't explain if there were extra seats for these black people or if others were chosen over them. The article also doesn't explain if the MP is being wacist since the students of even oxford are under representing whoites:
"It's very elitist, very, very white," student Taiwo Oyebola said. "For me, applying for Classics, I was very aware I'd be the only black person or one of a few people of colour."
In the last UK census I can grab from wikipedizzle, 2011, black people, so African-Carib & African, make up 3.0% of the nation so I'm very much not surprised it's very, very white. Oxford itself appears to have the usual fast tracks in if you're a minority and given that the statistics are saying it's working at a bigger proportion than the national population, I don't see what's wrong unless the MP is complaining the wrong kind of minority (not black) is getting in.

Also fishing rubbish is no joke:
Lammy never fails to impress with some of the nonsense he comes out with. He is one of the labour MPs that you have to take with a grain of salt.
i play leo bonhart, feel free to grief me
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #413100

Long live space race.
Long live Molvania.
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #413166

I was wondering why the natives were driving extra cuntish the past week, I'd forgotten it was that time of the moon again

Happy Ram-A-Van everyone!
May you soon be visited by a Truck of Peace.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #413245

Can I have data from a reputable source, please, with comparisons for the rest of the year and statistics of previous years?
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
XSI
Byond Username: XSI

Post by XSI » #413246

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/mussels-te ... get-sound/
Mussels off the coast of Seattle test positive for opioids

Enough Seattle residents are now taking oxycodone for the chemicals they excrete to register in shellfish out in Puget Sound
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #413249

Why does the German media always do this

I guess they never really got over that crushing 2-0 defeat in the 2006 WC semifinal
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #413250

Tommy Robinson was arrested yesterday and sent straight to jail, told not to pass Go and not to collect £250 quid from the community chest for 'breaching the peace' for reporting outside the court on a trial for a muslim rape gang.

[youtube]OD-BRJdnUsM[/youtube]
DemonFiren wrote:Can I have data from a reputable source, please, with comparisons for the rest of the year and statistics of previous years?
No
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #413252

Grazyn wrote:Image

Why does the German media always do this

I guess they never really got over that crushing 2-0 defeat in the 2006 WC semifinal
>frankfurter allgemeine
aaaahahahahhhhha

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #413260

It's either that or Der Spiegel, also I read that the Italian ambassador himself complained about the picture
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #413261

Spiegel at least know what the fuck they're doing.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #413263

Rustledjimm
Byond Username: Rustledjimm

Post by Rustledjimm » #413264

>get told not to do something or breaking probation and will be jailed
>does thing

???????????
So uhh, I'm an admin. Please leave feedback! Oops took me a while to strike that through.

Will Baker
Suzu Suzaku
TBC
Spoiler:
Personal Ban Length Record: 2.1024e+006 minutes
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #413342

Rustledjimm wrote:>get told not to do something or breaking probation and will be jailed
>does thing

???????????
Maybe so but anyone else would be given a slap on the wrist and maybe a fine, but because Tommy is a political dissident they've been waiting for any excuse to chuck him in gulag. Just like they did a few years ago with that mortgage fraud thing.
Rustledjimm

Post by Rustledjimm » #413343

Malkevin wrote:
Rustledjimm wrote:>get told not to do something or breaking probation and will be jailed
>does thing

???????????
Maybe so but anyone else would be given a slap on the wrist and maybe a fine, but because Tommy is a political dissident they've been waiting for any excuse to chuck him in gulag. Just like they did a few years ago with that mortgage fraud thing.

>Get given a suspended sentence
>Do thing that gave you suspended sentence in first place again
>?????????????????????????????
So uhh, I'm an admin. Please leave feedback! Oops took me a while to strike that through.

Will Baker
Suzu Suzaku
TBC
Spoiler:
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #413348

Fascism
Sometinyprick
In-Game Game Master

Post by Sometinyprick » #413382

Malkevin wrote:
>does thing

???????????
Last I checked most members of the CPS and CJS do not really care about political disposition unless you can show me otherwise? He was given a harsh sentence because he is a repeat offender and was already on a suspended sentence which entailed him being a good boy and not doing things he knows he isn't supposed to be doing.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #413386

>following laws

Wtf
XSI

Post by XSI » #413389

Thats the entire thing basically
The law is unjust -> Lets break it to make a political point -> I'm being oppressed for being punished!

Regardless of who it is and what laws,
"A righteous man will not suffer injust laws."
But that doesn't mean he can convince the court that the law is injust and thus he shouldn't be punished. So when he does get punished there's a whole lot of shit about it and everyone who agrees it's an unjust law will call it evil
Like that recurring case where the British legal system keep a dying boy in the hospital and refuse to let the parents take him out, and punish the parents and others for trying to get the kid out to treatment outside of Britain. Clearly something is going wrong here, but the law doesn't give much of a shit and it never will either

In the end, Britain is still fucked regardless of whether that guy is in jail, and because the courts ordered the press to not report on it, we can expect a Streisand effect
XSI

Post by XSI » #413466

Nope, latest one had foreign governments offer free citizenship and treatment

But the UK courts decided it wasn't allowed and the kid had to die in Britain. Mostly because they didn't think the treatment would work, but then the question and moral thing becomes why they get to decide that and not the parents.
And when the parents disagreed, they tried to 'protect' the child from 'abuse', with abuse defined as further treatment because the child was in pain. and protect defined as 'keep here to die in our hospitals' by unplugging life support and then letting it slowly starve to death

There's a whole lot of stuff going on in the UK that is kinda at the point that I wonder just what the citizen's relationship with the state is, because from everything I can find it seems the state treats the citizens like children who should not be allowed to make their own decisions at any point, and its a miracle they have something resembling a democrasy at all
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #413469

If you really wanna get technical, it's a constitutional theocracy since the head of state is also technically the head of church

And the answer to the last question is: A bad one. Few people like parliament and they seem to be more out of touch with their constituents than ever, but what can you do - it's a two-party, FPTP system and nothing will ever change as long as that remains true.
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #413480

Italy offered free citizenship and transfer in a Roman hospital (for life support). Granted, we only did it because the Pope asked to, and I wish he also did that for foreign children who actually have a chance to be treated and cured in our country, not just the terminally braindead ones, but I guess they don't offer the same media exposure.

Also the British situation would've never happened here because when there's disagreement between doctors and parents, Italian law says that parents have the last word, while in Britain they hand it over to a judge and he decides (which is a really weird way to deal with it)
Takeguru
Byond Username: TakeGuru

Post by Takeguru » #413486

As an outside observer

It looks to me like the UK government read Orwell, and instead of taking him as a warning, they took it as a guidebook
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #413488

Speaking of Italy, yesterday things went south really really fast. The national populist alliance was stopped in its tracks when the President vetoed their pick for minister of finance (a pro-Italexit, anti-EU guy who is on record comparing Merkel to Hitler) and they refused to provide a different pick. Now the leader of 5 stars is threatening the President with impeachment and nationalists are saying that Germany and the banks pressured him to stop them (remember, together they have the majority in both Houses). Meanwhile, SocDems and Berlusconi are rallying around the President "in defense of democracy"

Most likely scenario: the President will appoint a provisional government to ferry the country to another round of elections in a few months and this time Lega (the nationalists) will gain enough votes to form a stable government with Berlusconi (who in their eyes is more reliable than 5 stars)
XSI

Post by XSI » #413535

That sounds to me like the president disagreed with the eurosceptic's policies and wanted him vetoed so that his own (Probably pro-EU) policies wouldn't be wiped away, and the other side told him to get fucked

Wouldn't put it past the banking groups and EU officials to pressure the guy into stopping them either, they've done that before with a simple "You must do this or we won't give you that cushy lobbyist/EU official job you've been hoping to get"
And then a few people who displeased them were left without any such job and then their political career is pretty much just dead
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #413549

Well the Italian president is mostly a figurehead, he doesn't have "policies" of his own and has a few powers that are usually cerimonial. Basically the same powers the old King used to have. He appoints the Prime Minister (who is usually the leader or someone else from the majority parties), the PM gives him a list of ministers and he approves it. It is very rare for him to refuse a minister pick, it only happened like 2 times in the last 30 years, and both times the PM just picked another name. This time they just gave up and the appointed PM resigned.

I think it was a poor decision by the President because now the national populists are in full swing and Lega's approval rates especially are skyrocketing. They could win the next elections in a landslide and pick the same name, what will he do then?
XSI

Post by XSI » #413776

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/tech/2 ... 49598.html

I'm going to just mention a few bulletpoints on this one
1. Pubg is trying to sue Epic Games over Fortnite, saying they "Copied items and user interface" and "core elements"
2. Pubg has copied these things almost 1-1 from Arma
3. Pubg uses Unreal Engine
4. Epic Games may revoke the licence to sell games made with Unreal Engine at any time, for any reason
5. Epic has in the past revoked such a licence and forced the dev to destroy all unsold copies of the game in question and cease all future developments using the Unreal Engine
6. If pubg wins, that means they're open to an international lawsuit by the arma devs
7. Win or lose, Epic Games may force them to stop using the Unreal Engine for any commercial use, sales or future development. Uncertain if this includes operating the servers running existing copies

Get the popcorn, it's going to be good
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #413779

if they get shut down, remember that tgstation is still a perfectly viable substitute for pubg
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #413788

It pains me that to this very day I still do not have an image of a lizard eating popcorn.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #413805

DemonFiren wrote:It pains me that to this very day I still do not have an image of a lizard eating popcorn.
it's a good thing you don't, because it kills them
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #413807

I thought that was rice and birds?

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #413811

AFAIK popped corn sucks up their juices and expands clogging up their digestive tract
Rustledjimm

Post by Rustledjimm » #413814

to be fair popcorn isn't exactly good food for most animals, humans included.

Will Baker
Suzu Suzaku
TBC
Spoiler:
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #413819

There was a similar case on the news here in Italy last week, a Pakistani girl was lured/kidnapped to Pakistan and forced to abort the baby she had conceived with an Italian man

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-44237095
Rustledjimm

Post by Rustledjimm » #413860

Very good blog post on the Tommy Robinson situation.
https://thesecretbarrister.com/2018/05/ ... -robinson/

Will Baker
Suzu Suzaku
TBC
Spoiler:
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #413863

Well this looks like this is going to a truly fair and unbiased piece!!
It can now be reported that Tommy Robinson, the former leader of the English Defence League, convicted fraudster, sometime-football hooligan and self-reinvented free speech advocate, was on Friday 25 May 2018 imprisoned for 13 months for contempt of court after livestreaming footage of participants in a criminal trial outside Leeds Crown Court.
Rustledjimm

Post by Rustledjimm » #413864

But he was guilty of fraud.

He pleaded guilty to two accounts of fraud.

His alias is from a well known member of a football hooligan group in Luton, the town he is from. I mean read the whole blog, it's actually a very well written account of the situation by someone who understands the law behind it.

Will Baker
Suzu Suzaku
TBC
Spoiler:
XSI

Post by XSI » #413881

That still points out the bias in the article, as it is drawing attention to a detail irrelevant to what is being reported to make the reader dislike the guy based on things other than what has actually happened in this case
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #413884

His political background should be enough to make the reader dislike him
Sometinyprick
In-Game Game Master

Post by Sometinyprick » #413888

CosmicScientist wrote:
Abortion's the stick, feminism is the handle, Northern Ireland's the arena, Labour's the hitter, Theresa's the hit. The Republic of Ireland voted for abortion. Norn Ire only allows abortion over permanent/serious risks to the mother. I don't know if they can circumvent that by going to Britain's doctors. Theresa's used feminism as a political stick so this is more or less Labour's turn to use the same stick. It's a calculated criticism because Theresa can't support abortion because of the coalition with the union party in Norn Ire who are against abortion last I checked and they already said the vote was in the Repub. stop asking if it matters here. I don't know if they allow abortions over rape babies.
The thing is at this point it's more of a concern that people who want an abortion here can easily get one anyway with only a small added cost. If you live in NI you have dual Irish/British citzenship, you have complete freedom of travel and if you want an abortion you can simply go to the mainland and you will get one, you can also go down south but healthcare isn't free there so thats a problem. Theresa may is in a bind though, she has no option but to support anti-abortion in Northern Ireland while simultaneously believing it's ok on the mainland.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #413891

And its got one of those crappy top banners thats massive and anchors to the top of the screen, making a ton of the screen useless. I hate this shite design and can't fathom why so many sites think it's a good idea.
Rustledjimm

Post by Rustledjimm » #413892

I'll take it as a win then that the only things you can complain about are cosmetic as you cannot dispute the facts in the content.

Will Baker
Suzu Suzaku
TBC
Spoiler:
XSI

Post by XSI » #413893

I don't know about you, but I didn't read

If they can't put effort into their site, I won't put effort into reading it
Rustledjimm

Post by Rustledjimm » #413898

tl;dr

In the UK you are not allowed to record inside court. You cannot take pictures inside a court, even the artist drawings must be done from memory and not while court is in session. Last year Tommy Robinson did this inside a court and was given a suspended prison sentence for being held in contempt of court (to which he pleaded guilty).

The current court case going on currently that Tommy Robinson reported on (he was live streaming about the court case outside the court) have a probation on being reported on because there are trials going on that are linked to it. This is normal procedure when different trials going on are linked so the juries are not affected by the reporting of the other court case. Robinson broke this probation and so was again found in contempt of court and his suspended prison sentence was activated.

Will Baker
Suzu Suzaku
TBC
Spoiler:
XSI

Post by XSI » #413899

Thank you, that is reasonable

I still think the UK has huge issues with their legal system and corruption but at least this bit is consistent
Takeguru
Byond Username: TakeGuru

Post by Takeguru » #413906

What XSI said

While I disagree with the law, at least it's being used consistently
Rustledjimm

Post by Rustledjimm » #413934

I'm curious, which law are you disagreeing with?

The fact that certain court cases cannot be reported on while they are ongoing to prevent them affecting linked court cases and ensuring justice is done properly?

Will Baker
Suzu Suzaku
TBC
Spoiler: