Dungeons and Dragons 5th Edition

Talk about non-ss13 stuff here.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Dungeons and Dragons 5th Edition

Post by Timbrewolf » #31933

So there's this Dragon Queen thing that's out. So the game is mostly playable now.

Anyone have any impressions?

I've just created a character for the first time to see how that works. Ahh, that return to the mish-mash of compiling the results of different tables like 3.5 was.

The new system for subraces is pretty cool. and the game seems to be really generous in making each race cool with tons of stuff to do again. Humans are strong as shit holy fuck. +1 to all attributes goddamn.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
nsos
Byond Username: NOSENSEOFSELF

Re: Dungeons and Dragons 5th Edition

Post by nsos » #31936

there a chargen software anywhere i can use
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #31939

Nope. It's a little more bookkeeping than 3.5 or Pathfinder because you now have a background and some roleplaying traits you need to hammer out. Your background isn't an optional fluff bit like before, it gives you some proficiencies and other important effects.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Raven776
Byond Username: Raven776

Post by Raven776 » #32207

I don't like the whole background thing personally. It removes the whole feat tax for going different directions with your character, but it also forces you into a few predesignated roles or requires you to homebrew something up with a DM who may or may not be able to agree with you on certain things.

It's simpler, it plays better, but I find character creation is less fun than 3.5 or Pathfinder. Pretty much every decision you make in making your character is choosing between two roads when you come to a fork. Because of this though, combat and roleplay and rollplay are expeditious and easy to manage even at higher levels. I figure it's a good trade off.

I've never actually USED inspiration points and I figure good roleplaying should be a reward to itself. Trying to herd people into 'good roleplaying' just never works for me anyways. Let the barbarian murderhobo sit behind the rest of the party waiting to murder everything, don't make him engage in the teaparties and shout defiantly to the gods at every chance he can get.

All in all, I like it but it doesn't replace Pathfinder to me.

7/10, would play gladly, but if I can choose I'll pick another system.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #32215

Nothing will replace Pathfinder.

That being said, I like 5E so far as a comrpomise between 3.5's long-winded clunkyness and 4's blunted MMO.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #32259

I suppose I can deal with that sorta.

Is it easy to houserule and custom content you think?
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Raven776
Byond Username: Raven776

Post by Raven776 » #32290

Pretty easy. Most magic items will likely be houserule and custom content just because of the direction they're taking for them.