2018 nice politics thread

Talk about non-ss13 stuff here.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Re: 2018 nice politics thread

Post by Anonmare » #381993

Bottom post of the previous page:

For those who want the detailed explanation:-

"Instant-runoff voting (IRV) is a voting method used in single-seat elections with more than two candidates. Instead of voting only for a single candidate, voters in IRV elections can rank the candidates in order of preference. Ballots are initially counted for each elector's top choice, losing candidates are eliminated, and ballots for losing candidates are redistributed until one candidate is the top remaining choice of a majority of the voters. "

There's also Single Transferable Vote:

"The single transferable vote (STV) is a voting system designed to achieve proportional representation through ranked voting in multi-seat organizations or constituencies (voting districts). Under STV, an elector (voter) has a single vote that is initially allocated to their most preferred candidate and, as the count proceeds and candidates are either elected or eliminated, is transferred to other candidates according to the voter's stated preferences, in proportion to any surplus or discarded votes. The exact method of reapportioning votes can vary (see Counting methods).

The system provides approximately proportional representation, enables votes to be cast for individual candidates rather than for parties, and—compared to first-past-the-post voting—reduces "wasted" votes (votes on sure losers or sure winners) by transferring them to other candidates."
Takeguru
Byond Username: TakeGuru

Post by Takeguru » #382053

The electoral college as a whole was a mistake but it's so ingrained in our nation's politics it'd basically require a revolution mk II to get rid of
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #382132

Pretty much that

Neither party would ever do it because the electoral college hugely benefits them both by ensuring that some theoretical third party would have to have such a slam dunk victory to push them out that it would virtually never happen..
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #382908

laughing at malk losing his shit in this thread
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #383052

I honestly think preferences voting is a bare minimum for an actual modern democracy, I also like mandatory voting tho.

Without actual alternative options to keep major parties on their toes about the remote possibility of being completely replaced they don't actually need to represent the people.

It's so easy to twist a fpp system into a win win for the more savvy influencers it might as a well be Spartan acclamation voting, in which who was the loudest was judged by the council of old fucks.
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #383127

Any voting system that leads to tactical voting is a bad system

if your system forces people to try and game it by writing anything other than their actual preference on the ballot, it is flawed
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #385705

oranges wrote:laughing at malk losing his shit in this thread
he's on my ignore list so i can't see his posts but it's truly a shame i can't see him getting angry over this thread existing
Screemonster wrote:Any voting system that leads to tactical voting is a bad system

if your system forces people to try and game it by writing anything other than their actual preference on the ballot, it is flawed
agreed

you should not have to be deciding between what you feel is best for the country as a whole and what you think is best for you locally, to use canada as an example

but like takeguru said it would require a significant change for anything to happen, in america or otherwise, so i have no idea what to think at this point

like, when the government says "yeah we're gonna try and fix this shit" and everybody has issues with every proposal made to fix it what are you supposed to do
Limey wrote:its too late.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #385732

Qbopper wrote:
Screemonster wrote:Any voting system that leads to tactical voting is a bad system

agreed

you should not have to be deciding between what you feel is best for the country as a whole and what you think is best for you locally, to use canada as an example
I mean in the US at least that's what voting for state representatives and mayors and such is for. The president runs the country, the governor runs the state, the mayor runs the city. Dunno if shit's different in Canada though.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #385933

is it the UK that has the parliament where everyone is mentally ill
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #385964

Yee haw
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #386016

CosmicScientist wrote:Mentally ill? No, it's mostly just children, serious people, MPs who cry their tears out over personal issues and... I think that's it. The devolved parliaments seem to have an air of "I don't want to be here"
oh yeah i coudln't remember if it was the UK or australia or whatever who had the parliament where people literally got into screaming matches and called names and shit
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #386021

Qbopper wrote:
CosmicScientist wrote:Mentally ill? No, it's mostly just children, serious people, MPs who cry their tears out over personal issues and... I think that's it. The devolved parliaments seem to have an air of "I don't want to be here"
oh yeah i coudln't remember if it was the UK or australia or whatever who had the parliament where people literally got into screaming matches and called names and shit
It's both. Believe it or not, the US is comparatively civil in regards to government proceedings.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #386164

Actual political representatives fight like cats US government proceedings are eerily civil it really is creepy how they don't fight, I guess being corporate puppets aping democracy is less stressful.
XSI
Byond Username: XSI

Post by XSI » #386166

Dutch politicians also do not fight
Probably also because they don't really have anything they truly disagree on
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #386200

Yea. We haven't had a good fight in congress since our corporate masters took over. We do get filibusters still sometimes.
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #386318

ThanatosRa wrote:Yea. We haven't had a good fight in congress since our corporate masters took over. We do get filibusters still sometimes.
No, US government proceedings have always been very civil. The further back you go they get even more so, people were expected to be extremely polite to each other.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #387992

What's so civil about war anyway?
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #388047

it destroys a lot of the infrastructure giving you a chance to rebuild modern and improved versions.