2018 nice politics thread

Talk about non-ss13 stuff here.
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

2018 nice politics thread

Post by Qbopper » #380080

like the other thread except it isn't like the other thread in any way because op is asking you very kindly to refrain from using epic words like cuck and to discuss positive events

I'll start with stupid inane local politics

my unis residence supervisor person has a reputation of not doing much but I got recruited into going to a new residence council meeting and we managed to scare her (somehow) into maybe actually getting shit done for once

It's getting pretty bad here to the point that the cafeteria is charging stuff from the salad bar by weight, so anybody who wants chick peas or whatever is paying like $10 for a tiny ass bowl

But we're actually doing something about this stuff + a new student council got elected and they're all really good about that shit so things are looking up on the student life end

eddit: because of rudeposters i apparently need to make it clear that "nice thread" does not mean "no views i disagree with" - i don't care what opinion you hold, the point is to not be a douche
Last edited by Qbopper on Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Limey wrote:its too late.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Re: 2018 nice politics thread

Post by oranges » #380083

I really like canadians I think they're super swell
Last edited by oranges on Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #380085

i could understand if you were at least expressing views that were not nice but this is just low effort

edit: wow gee you sure got me oranges haha funny edit meme
Last edited by Qbopper on Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #380088

That's not very nice?
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #380091

This thread sucks.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #380092

Bad thread
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays
Byond Username: DrPillzRedux

Post by DrPillzRedux » #380095

my apprentice is doing well
thot_slayer wrote:don't be a degenerate online if you don't want people to treat you like a degenerate morty
bandit wrote:what is this

a correct post by pillz
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #380102

Anonmare wrote:Bad thread
terrible thread.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #380108

Cuck
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #380112

realtalk here while current events lend some plausibility to the assumption that shit's going downhill fast the overall trend for humanity is irreversible onwards and upwards and no politician will be able to stop that

okay, beyond temporary setbacks of several billion dead due to nuclear bombardment
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Kraso
Byond Username: S0ldi3rKr4s0
Github Username: Kraseo

Post by Kraso » #380129

dangerous moves OP
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #380146

Kraso wrote:dangerous moves OP
nobody wants to be nice but i will continue steadfast in the face of bad posters
DemonFiren wrote:realtalk here while current events lend some plausibility to the assumption that shit's going downhill fast the overall trend for humanity is irreversible onwards and upwards and no politician will be able to stop that

okay, beyond temporary setbacks of several billion dead due to nuclear bombardment
The vegan uprisings that will slaughter all our cattle?

i thought the entire point of being vegan was to not kill animals

An ageing population?

do you know how demographics work

Economy not being based on production but confidence to invest?

i don't know much about the economy but yes this does seem like a bad idea

Depletion of all exotic creatures for Chinese medicine?

this is a meme post, fuck, i got baited

Naturalist terrorists rising up under the funding of Apple to destroy everything human with Natureas being the pacifist equivalent that block the roads?

see above

Europe's decline into moralist authoritarian states that crash the economies of the East by making manual labour financially reasonable for good or for ill?

all i know about europe is that runescape and lego come from there

The rise of Darwinists that believe the world should only allow those who produce to be able to consume to add to the list of ideological dictatorships?

neckbeards on the internet are irrelevant and cannot produce anything

The mass marketed identity shifts?

idk what this means

A world that slowly stops going outside, instead to rely on the internet?

this is a more complex issue than you've written here imo

Globalism allowing strong economies to hold to ransom smaller ones but protectionism only coming with dictatorship or inconvenient economic unions?

i don't know anything about globalism beyond the fact that people use it as a buzzword nowadays + the really simple definition of it

Great Britain's final battle with her ultimate enemy, Francia and Deutschland wed in national matrimony?

britain needs to remove the stick from its ass
list of bad posters who i do not like to listen to:
Spoiler:
cedarbridge wrote:This thread sucks.
DrPillzRedux wrote:my apprentice is doing well
Malkevin wrote:
terrible thread.
Super Aggro Crag wrote:Cuck
DemonFiren wrote:realtalk here while current events lend some plausibility to the assumption that shit's going downhill fast the overall trend for humanity is irreversible onwards and upwards and no politician will be able to stop that

i'd say the general trend is on the up as a whole but there are some major problems that need to be fixed literally yesterday but i don't know how they could even possibly be addressed right now, i wish nuclear power wasn't so heavily stigmatized because then we could maybe have people move away from dirty energy faster

kind of a tanget but also kinda back on topic, my hometown was actually selected as a potential place for a new nuclear disposal facility, and the fact that you just read that and went "ew" or whatever is exactly why we didn't get picked

it sucks because they spent a lot of time and money explaining to the entire populace how it would 1. not even be in or near town, 2. have less negative effects than the already (relatively but not enough to matter) high amounts of uranium in the area, 3. be transported in trucks so absurdly indestructible that even when hit by a train they would maintain structural integrity and not open up any dangerous materials, and 4. create jobs for those working at the facility (which my hometown could use pretty badly)

the kneejerk reaction to the word "nuclear" unfortunately meant that somewhere else was chosen instead

they had legitimate answers to every possible question, it was sick, i was at a presentation for it once and someone said something like "hypothetically if there was some kind of runoff or leak wouldn't this affect nearby water" (because where i live you straight up cannot walk for half an hour without hitting a body of water) and they showed how the location would be chosen specifically to avoid that scenario/the rock the location was built on would be specifically chosen to ensure no leaking like that would happen (since this is all underground)/the facility would have to be abandoned for a long fucking time for the threat of leaking to be relevant
CosmicScientist wrote:What about climate change?

Depletion of all fish in our seas?
ok no you're right we're fucked
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #380150

Real talk the amount of misunderstanding and demonisation of nuclear fission has really got to stop.

We're actually at MORE risk of a fissile material releasure event because people don't want to give the reactors the money to upgrade their ageing safety systems. In addition, thorium reactors would be much more safer, cheaper and produce less unrecyclable nuclear waste than conventional uranium reactors but the whole anti-nuclear sentiment prevents any progress from being made.
The belief that living near a reactor is in of itself dangerous is also a false one, coal power plants have a *higher* background radiation count than a fission one and the smoke produced from fossil fuel plants also makes it more likely for you to develop cancer or other chronic illnesses whilst the only thing a fission reactor produces from its towers is steam, not even radioactive steam.

Yes you're damn right I'm invested in this issue because believe it or not, I do consider the environmental impact of things but I think renewable energy sources will never, ever be even 10% as effective as the shittiest fission reactor and it should the focus of research - not oversized windmills
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #380162

Anonmare wrote:Real talk the amount of misunderstanding and demonisation of nuclear fission has really got to stop.

We're actually at MORE risk of a fissile material releasure event because people don't want to give the reactors the money to upgrade their ageing safety systems. In addition, thorium reactors would be much more safer, cheaper and produce less unrecyclable nuclear waste than conventional uranium reactors but the whole anti-nuclear sentiment prevents any progress from being made.
The belief that living near a reactor is in of itself dangerous is also a false one, coal power plants have a *higher* background radiation count than a fission one and the smoke produced from fossil fuel plants also makes it more likely for you to develop cancer or other chronic illnesses whilst the only thing a fission reactor produces from its towers is steam, not even radioactive steam.

Yes you're damn right I'm invested in this issue because believe it or not, I do consider the environmental impact of things but I think renewable energy sources will never, ever be even 10% as effective as the shittiest fission reactor and it should the focus of research - not oversized windmills
but you know since chernobyl happened everything with the word nuclear in it is bad!!!!!

it really fucking sucks that we have a safer and cleaner method of producing energy that has a downside of "store this shit until we know what to do with it", as opposed to one that is "lol lets light this shit on fire like literal cavemen", but it's being ignored because a fucking facility in 80's soviet russia in the literal middle of nowhere had a colossal fuckup

i think reneweable energy still has its place (because for all the pros of fission afaik uranium isn't going to be something we can make more of when we run out) but we're doing ourselves a disservice by ignoring a method of power generation that is still a hell of a lot better for the environment than what we're currently doing
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #380210

Qbopper wrote:Nuclear
If nuclear fusion ever became commercially viable our power woes would be over because it's basically just fission but better in every way. The problem is, it's really hard to do and nobody's figured out an easy way yet. But I BELIEVE!
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #380292

ShadowDimentio wrote:
If nuclear fusion ever became commercially viable our power woes would be over because it's basically just fission but better in every way. The problem is, it's really hard to do and nobody's figured out an easy way yet. But I BELIEVE!
I'm pretty sure there's a lot of environmentalist groups that want to shut down fusion research
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #380353

Shouldn't this thread be called 2018 Safe Space?
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #380364

Spoiler:
CosmicScientist wrote:>taking nuclear bombardment as being against nuclear power plants

no, sorry, i forgot to be clear - that was just me going on a tangent and not related to your post in any way

>inline quote responses

the thread is "nice politics" so chaotic good is still technically good

i just do it to annoy people at this point

The vegan and vegetarian routes generally don't explain what happens to livestock. For vegans it's "We can use less land than sheep for quorn" and the more nature orientated like the idea of returning pastures to woodland not for forestry but for no exploitation besides walking and fresh air. Extreme solutions, because livestock not being bred for meat, fabric, egg or milk, is an extreme change, are to let the animals roam free on all the land people own, to breed human dependency out of them (sheep get too hot, some bulls cannot breed outside of artificial insemination), to keep them as pets (probably on the scale of horses though which societal class would or could fund it), or to kill them all as they have no purpose but to take up land and time. Nothing is out of the question, because we're capable of anything, but there is no future for livestock in a vegan world. They would go the way of most dangerous predators or other land dependent species in farmland orientated Europe.

i find it hard to believe that animals would stop being farmed unless there was some kind of extenuating circumstance but i understand your point now

But the pensions and social care are killing everyone from Europe to Jaypon memes.

from my limited understanding of demographics it's common for populations to fluctuate from trending very old to very young so it's entirely possible this is one of those fluctuations but i haven't done my research here so i'll concede the point

I don't know anything about the economy. That was a joke meme. Only micromanaging interventionist gubberments could tie economy to capability to produce and that's impossible outside of dictatorial simulation games.

just base the economy off of how good you are at video games if you are good you get paid more

GOTCHA

GOTCHA x2

Europe has a meme going on right now for redditors that we're becoming more authoritarian. See Britain's citizen surveillance and selective use of evidence in court and politics when appropriate, Poland's long running nationalism & corruption meme, Hungary's long running nationalism meme, Romania's corruption meme, France's opposition party being fascists (at least according to digg), Spain's fascist history, Italy's fascist history, Sweden memes of becoming authoritarian left, and then if you consider Russia Europe, well, it's not hard to see their problems. The rest of my meme is that we are a consumer market for oriental and east Asian export, though that's ignorant of waste material we sell back and being consumers for 'Murican products too. I think Factorio comes from Poland, Witcher does. I want to say I'm proud of the games that come from the UK but I remember breaking down in embarasment the last time I checked.

i like to play old school runescape and play wargames with lego

Sleep tight, neckbeards, you never contributed to the future so it denies you. :shades: :toysword:

A meme pretending political identities are recent, e.g. we all used to be English, French, American, Canadian, but now we're a combination of Scottish, Welsh, Quebecian, Muslim, Gay, Transgender, Communist or a nationalist, racist, homophobe, transphobe, xenophobe, fascist. A meme born of frustration that we must slot ourselves into simplified political boxes on the grand stage of the world whilst pretending to romanticise the past. An unintelligible meme, much like politics itself.

seems really stupid which is par for the course with politics

The internet allows us to efficiently communicate and transfer knowledge, wealth, art, experience and power. The internet does not rely on us existing outside our homes. The internet brings into question what values modern humanity has if individuals are more than content to sit indoors, reliant on machines with tubes that blink lights or electrons to other machines. It also brings into view how the application of the internet eventually trivialises existing problems or tasks or perhaps a question of how much weight we should allow the internet to obtain. An example being $63,000 for an individual's potato salad. Is this worthwhile? Excessive waste? Fun novelty? You are right that the internet and humanity is a complex issue that could entertain the minds of people to comprehend it for until mind-to-mind communication becomes real. That or until extraplanetary networks, or the extranet, returns us to isolation with time gated communication.

the internet in its current form is not a replacement for social interaction - i'd argue that it can supplement it but we aren't quite at the point where i'm going to start considering the moral implications

vr chat was initially a startlingly interesting experience when it wasn't popular because everyone in it had vr and it was almost worrying how tracking a head and two hands could provide extremely uncanny reactions like you were interacting with a physical person, but now it's just unfunny memes and retards on monitors so we basically just set back human evolution by like a century lol

Globalism maymay. Being able to push other economies to fill gaps in your own is good but less developed economies at least appear to lose out more through this, with concerns such as migrant workers, brain drain and international corruption. See French farming/fishing lobbying in relation to other EU members, German car manufacturing lobbying in relation to eastern Europe, Canada and 'Murica coming to terms with strong Canadian forestry, Africa in the past and currently, Google and small European tech startups, Chinese steel and the EU. My joke, on a low level, pretended protectionism fixes globalism giving strong economies the upper hand but on another low level pretended to claim 'Murica, the EU and China do practice it.

i didn't want to write al ot about globalism in case you were going to start screeching at me about it because i don't know your polilitcal beliefs so here is a smiley face :)

Canada needs to stop being a wimp and affect the world. This is what happens when the English and French inbreed, a mistake.

i'd say that canada previously had a really great reputation for being proactive in peacekeeping matters worldwide but at this point we've regressed to being a less shitty america

i'm not 100% sure where a lot of the hate for canadians comes from online because we don't do a whole lot to anger people (and i don't count people setting up strawman arguments about sjws and political correctness to be people), which i guess in and of itself is enough to anger people

If we can learn to properly exploit or farm our seas, maybe we could improve but a big issue right now is plastic waste, perhaps more of a problem for the far west and the far east who rely on the Pacific they pollute.

daily reminder that there is a literal island of plastic shit floating around the ocean and the response to it has pretty much been a shrug of the shoulders
CosmicScientist wrote:It's perhaps as much Chernobyl as it is the Jaypon failure of a diesel engine to keep a fission chamber from overheating in the middle of a tsunami. Unfortunately Germany seemed to believe they were at risk of shoddy Soviet management & unskilled labour and tsunamis. Though it is true that fission fallout spreads across continents unlike coal plant explosions, unless I'm mistaken.

the japanese one didn't help but didn't that go much better than it could have all things considered? to me cases like that just say "make the safety protocols better" and "don't build reactors when they're at risk of a natural disaster" (though that isn't entirely fair to them here because all of japan is essentially primed for natural disasters to strike)

Storage of the waste until we know what to do with it is not quite the problem. It's storage until it's no longer a problem. The same goes for landfill, slag and coal. We have hills we can walk upon because of landfill and waste coal. Though you can only tell with landfill thanks to the pipes that release methane, that's if the millions in materials and labour to create the shielded earthworks has been performed.

the thing i was discussing mentioned that finding ways to use/make the waste irrelevant were also possibilities hence why i mentioned it but yes storing it until it becomes safe is also a thing
Anonmare wrote:nuclear shill
Annual reminder that living within 50 miles of a nuclear power plant gives you the same radiation as eating a whole banana.

Also a reminder that coal is I think 5-10 times worse.

Also also a reminder that living in a granite house is worse than living near a nuclear power plant.

my grandson got a tactical nuke in call of duty once and it killed everyone so i dont want a nuclear power plant because it will kill everyone if you get a 25 kill streak

Renewables shouldn't be ignored. Provided your environment can sustain it.

i hope solar research goes further because we have a fucking sun we can harvest energy from

I propose that we destroy the Gulf stream.

what did he mean by this

Here is a limited but fun to look at power map that considers pollution. Beware it does not include car/transport fuel and pollution. It also doesn't go into the finer details such as Britain's gas turbines have been near the front of energy efficiency in the past ~10 years or something, with less greenhouse impact. I am sorry for not having one that is focused on Murica/Canada, though I imagine it would be an irradiated green hat on top of a sooty body.

most of canada's population is centered around toronto, we're like russia in that we have a shitload of land but most of it isn't heavily populated, so most of the metrics would be only relevant near the border either way
ShadowDimentio wrote:
>a nice post from shadowdio

damn

anyways yeah fusion isn't something i'm holding my breath for, but fingers crossed and all that
Anonmare wrote:
ShadowDimentio wrote:
I'm pretty sure there's a lot of environmentalist groups that want to shut down fusion research
shutting down research (other than unethical research) seems like a retarded thing to do imo

if you let them research it you win either way

-they determine it's harmful to the environment and you get ammo to shut it down
-they determine it's not harmful to the environment and you get clean energy
CosmicScientist wrote:It's more likely to die to public funding than to protesters. Unless immense pressure is cheap to produce.
i thought fusion's gimmick was that it (if it works) would take relatively little energy to get started

granted i know very little about fusion
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #380403

"Miniature sun" makes fusion sound a lot scarier than it actually is. If there's some catastrophic mistake with fission, the whole thing starts melting down and possibly explodes (see: Japan and Chernobyl). If something similar happened to a fusion generator, it would just fizzle out harmlessly.

There's effectively no downsides to fusion except that we haven't figured out how to make it work yet, but throw enough money at it and that'll go away.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #380408

CosmicScientist wrote:Fusion energy requires high initial energy input and high pressure. Think miniature sun. That's right, we're trying to make powerplants that 40K has in its titans. It's supposed to be able to sustain itself once started, at least indirectly, but it needs a big trigger.

Unless you're thinking of Murican laser fusion. Then I don't fugging know. Put laser pointers on cat wheels and given Mekhi a treat if he keeps going for five hours.
oh no i'm just retarded and misinformed
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #380409

Malkevin wrote:Shouldn't this thread be called 2018 Safe Space?
you'll note that no one has been banned, no one in this thread has had a post deleted, nor have I personally attacked anyone I disagree with

this is the opposite of a safe space and moronic posts like these are why sane human beings avoid the pol thread

I made this thread because I thought it would be interesting to discuss real world events without having to deal with mongoloids saying anyone that they disagree with is a cuck

this is not a nice post but it had to be said
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #380418

CosmicScientist wrote:Image
fuck I was going to post that myself
UltimateGamer21
Byond Username: Catnapearwigs

Post by UltimateGamer21 » #380455

Definitely reading the hot takes and well-informed political opinions of anyone on this forum. Keep em coming friends
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #380459

Fusion is a required scientific achievement if we want to build a utopia.

It will unlock a massive productivity boom due to cheap energy.

on the same level as the discovery and use of coal/gasoline.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #380462

Qbopper wrote:
Malkevin wrote:Shouldn't this thread be called 2018 Safe Space?
you'll note that no one has been banned, no one in this thread has had a post deleted, nor have I personally attacked anyone I disagree with

this is the opposite of a safe space and moronic posts like these are why sane human beings avoid the pol thread

I made this thread because I thought it would be interesting to discuss real world events without having to deal with mongoloids saying anyone that they disagree with is a cuck

this is not a nice post but it had to be said
What?
My point was you're trying to make your college campus libtard hippy circle jerk thread because you can't stand someone having a different opinion on politics to you. :roll:

This is why Trump won despite being a joke candidate.
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #380466

oranges wrote:Fusion is a required scientific achievement if we want to build a utopia.

Don't forget general purpose robotics/adaptive expert systems, get them up and running and you can expect to read "Humans need not apply" on job advertisements.
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #380554

Malkevin wrote:What?
My point was you're trying to make your college campus libtard hippy circle jerk thread because you can't stand someone having a different opinion on politics to you. :roll:

This is why Trump won despite being a joke candidate.
how can you write this unironically

i legitimately do not understand

ignoring the strawman argument and the fact that you somehow know my political stance without me saying anything to you, you are mocking me for holding different beliefs than you and in the same breath saying i cannot stand someone disagreeing with me

this is why "polposter" is used as a derogatory term

i will not be replying to you further, please feel free to direct any posts towards me outside of the nice politics thread

edit: final noggin jog: you managed to somehow bring trump into this, excellent work
oranges wrote:Fusion is a required scientific achievement if we want to build a utopia.

yeah it almost seems too good to be true now that i've been looking into it more after this thread, let's hope the research pans out
Anonmare wrote:Don't forget general purpose robotics/adaptive expert systems, get them up and running and you can expect to read "Humans need not apply" on job advertisements.
automation is also really interesting to me because in theory once we automate everything there won't be a need for people to "work" in the traditional sense - how would society change (if it even could handle the change) to a world where we don't need to pay people for goods or services?

this is another thing I don't really think about and have little information on but it's a cool topic to me because of how wide reaching the implications on society are
CosmicScientist wrote:The robot baristas will unionise one day and then people will say they don't deserve the intelligence required to unionise. It will turn into ammunition for all walks of life, be it the liberals who want to keep costs down, the socialists who want to keep the liberals down, the humanists who want nothing to get brain damage, the purists who want the removal of robots, it goes on.

We will wind up in a situation where different countries will either have the robots be given the means of their own production or they will be forcibly dumbed down or eradicated.

Robots will look just like humans, so you can't just gun them down in the street. Voters will be angry when the inevitable collateral occurs. You'll need to get up close, something the robots won't let you do, the smart ones at least, and normal people won't trust you either, they don't want you killing them because you thought they were a robot.

You're here to clean up the mess of generations past and present. If you choose to accept this job we will grant you a gun, a car and diplomatic immunity for when you kill a trespassing smart robot from a pro-robo country. We need you to bring in any robot with more than one CPU in its head for re-engineering. You must not cause excess damage to them as they are property of their employer. Any that are hiding are illegal and you are allowed to apply lethal force, don't expect kindness in return for not shooting first, why do you think there was a job opening. If their employer is aware of their robot status and isn't complying with the "See it, say it" law then we want them before a judge, alive. Do you accept employment?
I don't think automation requires intelligent robots as in functional AI - why make the barista intelligent when all it needs to do is be a robotic arm that automatically retrieves the correct drink when you input one via a touchscreen? this sounds more like science fiction than an actual likely outcome but I will admit it's interesting
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #380622

What sort of sadists would program the ability to have free will into their robots and then put them into indentured servitude
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #380624

I actually just remembered, there is technically already a general purpose robot in production. It costs about $25,000 but that's basically one person's yearly wage and can do most tasks after being shown how to do it by a Human supervisor

[youtube]gXOkWuSCkRI[/youtube]
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #380676

Q, it's freedom of expression not freedom from ridicule. I've known you for months, based on your personality it is obvious you are a liberal soy boy. I won't bother explaining the Trump connection because you'll just shove two penises in your ears and play dumb.

The concept of the robot barista is a dumb thing only hipsters would like, and ironically it is those hipsters it'll take jobs from.
We already have automated drinks machine, it wouldn't be that hard to design one that uses fresh beans instead of crappy instant powder.

If anime has taught me anything it is that the robot uprising will start with the sexbots going crazy.
Speaking of which, apparently the Chinese have made a sexbot that will laugh at your jokes and do the dishes. The video they showed didn't show the bot laughing or doing the dishes...
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #380722

Anonmare wrote:What sort of sadists would program the ability to have free will into their robots and then put them into indentured servitude
Like, really, lmfao
Anonmare wrote:I actually just remembered, there is technically already a general purpose robot in production. It costs about $25,000 but that's basically one person's yearly wage and can do most tasks after being shown how to do it by a Human supervisor

[youtube]gXOkWuSCkRI[/youtube]
Oh
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #380729

CosmicScientist wrote:ooo ooo ooooo do meeee, do my political leaning!

Did the video show the sexbot moving? I'm not sure, given the country of origin, it won't leave things behind on or inside its clients.
You're a closet racist who represses their true feelings from being fed establishment propaganda for two decades, you have recently began to see through the establishment bullshit due to being a neet and no longer fed your daily dose of crap from useful idiots

They showed the face doing... something, though I'm not sure if it was a simulation of a stroke, a laughter of horrors, or a blow job animation
Either way I wouldn't want to stick my dick in its mouth, I probably won't get it back!
IkeTG
Byond Username: LizardDreams

Post by IkeTG » #380755

i shook mike pence's hand, he's a pretty nice guy
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #380757

Malkevin, go do yourself.

No, actually do it. It's always more interesting to see what people think of themselves.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #380795

Obviously I'm a vile bigoted northern savage who should've been a tradesman instead of an IT guy.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #380799

You should have been a Scot instead of an Englishman and then maybe you'd be cool.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #380910

do we really need 2 shitposting threads?
Spoiler:
trump succ putin's dicc
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #380920

Ricotez wrote:do we really need 2 shitposting threads?
Spoiler:
trump succ putin's dicc
This isn't a shitposting thread, though

If I wanted shitposts I'dve posted in the hut
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #381771

Anonmare wrote: I'm pretty sure there's a lot of environmentalist groups that want to shut down fusion research
mainly because a: dumb ideology and b: if we had abundant, clean power, environmental protest groups wouldn't have as much of a reason to exist any more

reminds me of a proposal to use rafts of floating tubes in the ocean to stimulate plankton growth by creating effective artificial reefs, thus getting rid of atmospheric CO2 as the plankton would consume it then fall to the bottom of the ocean and effectively lock it away (until it becomes oil in a few million years). It's something that at worst wouldn't be 100% effective, it certainly wouldn't cause any harm to the environment but oh no we can't do it it's terrible

part of me wants to say it's 'cause they can't get kickback contracts for their buddies since the concept was simple enough that just about anyone could manufacture them, but I'm honestly curious how much of it is because the real idealogues don't want our lifestyle to be made sustainable, they want our lifestyle to change how they want it and if we can do all the things we like to do without causing an environmental impact they won't be able to yell at us for it any more
Screemonster

Post by Screemonster » #381851

as I understand it they were just vertical pipes that gave a surface for ocean flora to grow on, I'm not even sure if being connected together in a group was all that important

I don't know if they'd be all that effective but it was one of those "this is cheap and it can't do any harm even if it doesn't work" solutions
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #381856

Pretty much every activist group has a subgroup of ideologues inside it that don't care about anything but preserving their ideology.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
Screemonster

Post by Screemonster » #381859

And waiting in the wings there's always some politician looking to use the group's cause as an excuse to funnel funds to their friends/donors.

Not to mention that activism itself is practically a big business, like one of the greenpeace founders that they now like to pretend never existed has been very critical of them over the fact that the thing greenpeace was actually founded to do has been done, and he's like "guys, we won, you can stop now" but as long as the donations come in, they can't just stop, gotta find the next cause to justify their existence

edit: and don't get me started on PETA
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #381878

Activism has become such a corporate whore these days tbh

I've seen ANCOMs (anarchist communists) defend big businesses because a right-wing group said something bad about them. The whole polarisation of politics has become such a huge issue and there's so few people in the media who'll talk about it beyond paying it lipservice that I'm convinced that there's something more going on.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #381887

They're just fucking stupid. Most really committed ideologues subscribe to ingroup VS outgroup mentalities where everyone "in" is a good and everyone "out" is bad. Thus, if some soulless corporation pays them some lipservice, well, they must be good then!
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
Screemonster

Post by Screemonster » #381889

oh lolyeah I've seen that

left wingers saying that virtue signalling doesn't exist and it's not a term now that right wingers have started using it, when it used to be one of the go-to phrases that progressives would bust out against fundies making a big show of going to church and being wonderful and preaching love thy neighbour but also lowkey using religion as an excuse to be a shit to people in private

but no, now the other side are using the term (in the right context, no less) there's no such thing as virtue signalling and it's just a dogwhistle or something
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #381902

Anonmare wrote:Activism has become such a corporate whore these days tbh

I've seen ANCOMs (anarchist communists) defend big businesses because a right-wing group said something bad about them. The whole polarisation of politics has become such a huge issue and there's so few people in the media who'll talk about it beyond paying it lipservice that I'm convinced that there's something more going on.
I've no doubt there'll be members of that group praising Google for for slaying the evil misogynist, completely ignoring that it is literally capitalist.big brother
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #381937

Anonmare wrote:The whole polarisation of politics has become such a huge issue
this is legitimately one of the reasons I do not ever want to move to america

other countries aren't perfect for this either, sure, but politics in canada isn't such a touchy topic that I can never speak of it irl (usually) - it's pretty fucking bad when americans are blasting people who don't even live in america for supposed political beliefs (plus the whole thing where "left wing" in america is center at best in like, the rest of the world) and it makes talking about politics a chore which is why I made this thread

slightly related: FUCK FIRST PAST THE POST

for americans who don't know (because most americans know shockingly little about canada for some reason, idk why), we don't directly vote in the prime minister - you vote for an MP for the area you live in (divided up by population somehow I forget the specifics) and the winning MP gets a "seat" in parliament

the party with the most seats wins, essentially - there's also a minority government where no party managed to get the majority of seats, so the two parties that had the most get split power and typically this means nothing ever gets done because two parties are in power, why the fuck would anything ever get done

this system sucks fucking turbodick

if I like the candidate running for PM under, say, the liberals, but the liberal MP in my riding (area) is someone I don't want to vote for because I don't agree with what they want to do locally, I'm fucked - do I vote for the liberal MP and hope the liberals win, and the country as a whole benefits from the prime minister I wanted, or do I vote for the MP who best represents what I want for where I live? you basically have to hope that you have good rng and the MP you want gets in office, but the party you want wins overall

this also means that a party can gain a majority government even though the majority of the country does not vote for them

we have 3 relevant parties (conservative and liberals who are both center right/left respectively, and the farther left NDP - there's also the bloc quebecois who literally just want to separate from canada and the green party who have probably only ever won 1 seat) - let's say that the conservatives get 30% of the seats and the liberals get 30% of the seats. the NDP has the remaining 40% of the seats. 60% of the entire country voted on someone that wasn't NDP, but the NDP win a majority government anyways

and you know how I mentioned there's only 3 relevant parties? that's because due to the way getting seats works, it is essentially impossible for a smaller party to win control of the government - at best you might win a seat as MP. you might have 100% of the population in your riding voting for you, but that's irrelevant in the larger scheme of things and you'll basically have zero influence on the government. you'd have to form a party and get people all accross the country to 1. run for MP and 2. run under your party

our current PM said he would try to rework the voting system in canada and it was super exciting but we got fucked over because nobody had a feasible plan that everyone could agree on, so there isn't much that could be done
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #381966

i'm not realizing anything i've basically held these opinions for most of my life where i've cared about politics

and trust me fptp is fucking worse here i hate it fuck fptp FUCK FPTP
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #381992

Oh boy do I get to talk about FPTP again and how even Alternative Voting would be 9000x better than the current system?
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #381993

For those who want the detailed explanation:-

"Instant-runoff voting (IRV) is a voting method used in single-seat elections with more than two candidates. Instead of voting only for a single candidate, voters in IRV elections can rank the candidates in order of preference. Ballots are initially counted for each elector's top choice, losing candidates are eliminated, and ballots for losing candidates are redistributed until one candidate is the top remaining choice of a majority of the voters. "

There's also Single Transferable Vote:

"The single transferable vote (STV) is a voting system designed to achieve proportional representation through ranked voting in multi-seat organizations or constituencies (voting districts). Under STV, an elector (voter) has a single vote that is initially allocated to their most preferred candidate and, as the count proceeds and candidates are either elected or eliminated, is transferred to other candidates according to the voter's stated preferences, in proportion to any surplus or discarded votes. The exact method of reapportioning votes can vary (see Counting methods).

The system provides approximately proportional representation, enables votes to be cast for individual candidates rather than for parties, and—compared to first-past-the-post voting—reduces "wasted" votes (votes on sure losers or sure winners) by transferring them to other candidates."