Philosophy problem that genuinely keeps me up at night

Talk about non-ss13 stuff here.
Whoisthere
Byond Username: Whoisthere

Re: Philosophy problem that genuinely keeps me up at night

Post by Whoisthere » #401660

Bottom post of the previous page:

Anonmare wrote:the thought experiment posits that it is for the sake of argument
Exactly. It posits a bunch of stuff to arrive at a bunch of conclusions. The assumptions have no basis. So the conclusions that result from the assumptions have no basis. It's irrelevant to our reality. They could've assumed that souls are real and thus it follows that Allah will send the consciousness of those who commit the sin of suicide by teleport booth to hell and the conclusion would have the same value as the current one. IIRC stuff like this was originally a bunch of hypothetical situations to test how you perceive consciousness, and now apparently some angry WASP or jinn rewrote it to push the global Zionist agenda and here we are issuing a fatwa on oranges for destroying mass transit systems of NZ and Austria.
Sad elegy
Highly suitable for use in funerals
Whoisthere

Post by Whoisthere » #401661

btw I might be missing the point here because reasons
Sad elegy
lntigracy
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Intigracy

Post by lntigracy » #401769

The person coming out on the other end is not you, but for all intents and purposes will believe they are you.

Haven't you played SOMA?
in advance of my eventual forum ban, I just wanted to say
you are mom is gay
SpaceInaba
Byond Username: SpaceInaba

Post by SpaceInaba » #401773

who cares if I am not them I will die anyways so I wont get to care
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
fuck,
John_Oxford
Github User
Byond Username: John Oxford
Github Username: JohnOxford

Post by John_Oxford » #402050

the point being nothing we say here can be proven until we can duplicate the human body on a molecular level.

once we do that and it comes out dead, god is real and conciousness is tied to the soul, which now become the biggest energy source and the current planetary research goal. (assuming armagedon hasn't already occured, which based off of my understanding of religion, should definitely occur before we perfect human cloning)

if it comes out alive, there is no god and we are just a bunch of carbon atoms that through billions of years of chance became what we are today and the big bang was tied to string theory and hawkins was right and the heat death will be the true collapse of the universe

EDIT:

the entire argument can literally be tied to if we have a soul or not. if we don't its reasonable to assume everything stated above just like its reasonable to assume that if we do everything stated above is also true.

until then we'll never know and there is no amount of hypothezizing or experiments that will ever get us closer to an answer than more research into human cloning
Bill Rowe - Used for everything // SYS-OP - AI // SYS-USR - Cyborg
https://gyazo.com/07cbe7219ba24366c1f655ad6c56a524

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

TechnoAlchemist wrote:you where always right john, you where always right
>implying the admin conspiracy wasen't just confirmed by a admin.
see, i told you motherfuckers.
NikNakFlak wrote:this isn't a game you can't just post whenever you want
I don't even know what the fuck tg is.

Whoisthere

Post by Whoisthere » #402138

What if we build a human body on the molecular level and it comes out alive and starts preaching atheism and then it turns out it was possessed by a jinn to tempt Muslims?
Sad elegy
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #402149

I'll do it again
Whoisthere

Post by Whoisthere » #402162

You have to lrn how is babby formed by natural means first
Sad elegy
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #404532

At its core, a computer is just a big bunch of electrical components that guide little bits of electricity around. But those patterns of electricity translate into math, which describes a world and how to draw that world on a screen. If you translate that world into patterns that you can store into a more permanent state, such as the magnetic charge of a hard drive, you can always reload it later into the exact same state. But if you then change the world, it will no longer match the one stored onto the hard drive.

In the same way, the pattern of your neurons and the electrical currents that run through them describe the world of your consciousness. Consciousness is something higher than just the neurons and electric charges themselves, but at the same time it is fundamentally rooted into whatever patterns you use to express it with. If at some point you branch the consciousness into two copies, I think that in that single moment you have the same consciousness in two different locations, but as soon as the patterns diverge, the consciousnesses diverge too. So I guess that to me, consciousness is not a single state, but rather a line that you can draw through a set of those patterns.

I'm not as worried about the idea of having my mind copied into another body while I am still alive myself. Even though my consciousness may branch at that point and I'm in the "doomed" branch, another branch of my consciousness will continue, someone with the exact same properties as me up to the point where we branched. For all intents and purposes, that person is me.

And if the multiverse theory is correct, your consciousness is branching all the time. Hell, maybe the theory that if you die your consciousness just jumps to a more fortunate branch and that is why people have deja vus and premonitions is correct. Who knows?
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #404606

Life only has what meaning you give it.
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Rustledjimm
Byond Username: Rustledjimm

Post by Rustledjimm » #405444

I'm not going to read all of this so I'm just going to give my thoughts on the matter.

What makes you, you?
Do you think it is the atoms themselves? No, they do not care or matter. Atoms are constantly being removed and added to your body, recycled. Those atoms were once in a star, they will probably end up in some rock for millenia. If it was the atoms that made us who we are then we would be constantly changing every single microsecond.

So what does make up you?
The *combination* of the atoms makes up you. Your brain, your memory, your thoughts. They are all caused, held and done via combinations of atoms do not kid yourself and make the world less interesting by saying some higher power gives us consciousness, revel in the amazing reality that atoms have combined in such a way to give us our existence. It's also what makes you unique. Atoms have never combined in such a way to form you. So if such a teleporter was capable of existing would the being that stepped out of Teleporter B with the same combination of atoms be you?

Yes it would be.
So uhh, I'm an admin. Please leave feedback! Oops took me a while to strike that through.

Will Baker
Suzu Suzaku
TBC
Spoiler:
Personal Ban Length Record: 2.1024e+006 minutes
SpaceInaba
Byond Username: SpaceInaba

Post by SpaceInaba » #405446

in space Station thirdteen it's the same soul after you teleport so thats all u need 2 kno tb h
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
fuck,
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #405466

Rustledjimm wrote:I'm not going to read all of this so I'm just going to give my thoughts on the matter.

What makes you, you?
Do you think it is the atoms themselves? No, they do not care or matter. Atoms are constantly being removed and added to your body, recycled. Those atoms were once in a star, they will probably end up in some rock for millenia. If it was the atoms that made us who we are then we would be constantly changing every single microsecond.

So what does make up you?
The *combination* of the atoms makes up you. Your brain, your memory, your thoughts. They are all caused, held and done via combinations of atoms do not kid yourself and make the world less interesting by saying some higher power gives us consciousness, revel in the amazing reality that atoms have combined in such a way to give us our existence. It's also what makes you unique. Atoms have never combined in such a way to form you. So if such a teleporter was capable of existing would the being that stepped out of Teleporter B with the same combination of atoms be you?

Yes it would be.
It would be you, in the same you that entered the teleporter and the same you that would choose the same options as you but you still die. it's not the same consciousness until you're moving the brain.
Rustledjimm
Byond Username: Rustledjimm

Post by Rustledjimm » #405473

That is suggesting that consciousness is something "other" that is inherently attached to the human brain somehow.

It's just a unique combination of atoms and electrical pulses. If you make the exact same combination there would be no difference between the two in that single moment. They are essentially the same.

Think in terms of A.I. If they develop a consciousness but then move all their data and said consciousness to another core is that not moving the consciousness even if the original core is not moved?
So uhh, I'm an admin. Please leave feedback! Oops took me a while to strike that through.

Will Baker
Suzu Suzaku
TBC
Spoiler:
Personal Ban Length Record: 2.1024e+006 minutes
lntigracy
Confined to the shed

Post by lntigracy » #405593

If teleporters that could do this were invented, do you think the company behind them would hide how they function?
you are mom is gay
somerandomguy
Byond Username: Astatineguy12

Post by somerandomguy » #405613

lntigracy wrote:If teleporters that could do this were invented, do you think the company behind them would hide how they function?
Yes

They would probably also try to use it to clone people but keep it secret to not lower sales on the original product
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #405653

that kind of invention would immediately be reverse-engineered and there probably would have to be scientific publications on it, too
so good luck hiding that shit
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
somerandomguy

Post by somerandomguy » #405703

DemonFiren wrote:that kind of invention would immediately be reverse-engineered and there probably would have to be scientific publications on it, too
so good luck hiding that shit
Consumers don't usually read scientific publications or reverse-engineer things
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #405720

what is news reporting
what is government regulation

besides, it's not like consumers would be able to afford that shit, anyway

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
somerandomguy

Post by somerandomguy » #405740

DemonFiren wrote:what is news reporting

News: I mean yeah but eh
Regulation: not an issue unless it actually kills the user permanently (I.e. failing to assemble clone)

Also it could be like airports, consumers can't afford planes but they can still use someone else's.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #405757

somerandomguy wrote:

so that's the issue right
somerandomguy

Post by somerandomguy » #405761

Armhulen wrote:
somerandomguy wrote:

so that's the issue right
It's not like the company wouldn't try to pay to cover it up

That or they gloss over it in ads
lntigracy
Confined to the shed

Post by lntigracy » #406308

somerandomguy wrote:

Regulation: not an issue unless it actually kills the user permanently (I.e. failing to assemble clone)

Also it could be like airports, consumers can't afford planes but they can still use someone else's.
Yeah it'd probably be a travel agency, not people having their own personal pods.
you are mom is gay
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #406328

In that case it'll have to be approved by the government, won't it.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
somerandomguy

Post by somerandomguy » #406338

DemonFiren wrote:In that case it'll have to be approved by the government, won't it.
No? Air travel has to be partially run by the government because they don't want another 9/11, and that can't happen with this.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #406345

What kind of weird-ass government do you have that does not regulate public transportation?

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
somerandomguy

Post by somerandomguy » #406353

DemonFiren wrote:What kind of weird-ass government do you have that does not regulate public transportation?
Teleportation isn't public though. All it involves are two separate machines.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #406371

so how are corporations going to make money teleporting people if they don't make it accessible to the public?

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
lntigracy
Confined to the shed

Post by lntigracy » #406375

They aren't using government space for the traveling.

It's not on the roads or airways. It's walking into a private building and exiting a private building.
you are mom is gay
somerandomguy

Post by somerandomguy » #406376

DemonFiren wrote:so how are corporations going to make money teleporting people if they don't make it accessible to the public?
What I mean is, it doesn't go through public areas like every other form of transportation has
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #406378

lntigracy wrote:They aren't using government space for the traveling.

It's not on the roads or airways. It's walking into a private building and exiting a private building.
somerandomguy wrote:
DemonFiren wrote:so how are corporations going to make money teleporting people if they don't make it accessible to the public?
What I mean is, it doesn't go through public areas like every other form of transportation has
I mean, sure, but that doesn't change the fact that the tech itself has to be approved for human transportation.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler: