Philosophical problems and logical paradoxes

Talk about non-ss13 stuff here.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Philosophical problems and logical paradoxes

Post by Anonmare » #410123

I'm on a Philosophy kick lately so I will be dumping my philosophical trash here since it helps me to see how my thinking stands against other people's. I will state a problem or paradox, give an outline of it in practice and put my thinking in the spoiler warning.

Prisoner's Dilemma
The paradox of rationality
Alice and Bob are arrested by a police detective, they were caught in the act of committing a lesser crime after committing a more major crime, but the police cannot prove either one's guilt regarding the major crime. Alice and Bob are then placed into separate prison cells with no means of communicating with each other.
The lead detective separately tells both Alice and Bob that if they stay silent, they'll both go to prison for 3 years. If one of them decides to betray the other, they walk out free and their partner goes to jail for 9 years. He also informs that he has told them both and that if they both choose to turn on the other, they'll both be getting 6 years.

Both prisoners want to minimise the time they spend in prison, should the prisoners ally with one another? Or betray each other?
Spoiler:
The answer is that both prisoners should betray each other. From a purely rational self-interest point of view, betrayal is the only outcome that can be chosen, by betraying their partner they can either walk free and achieve the maximum reward if their partner allies and minimise their loss if their partner betrays them.

However, if you consider for a moment that each year in prison is a "point" and both prisoners are a team and want to minimise their points - the rational self-interest is the worst outcome possible with the most points gained, coming to a whole 12 points. If one of them betrayed and the other allied, their team point value would be 9. If both allied, they'd only get 6 points.

Thus the paradox, both prisoners won't cooperate because they know that the other knows that, while cooperation is to their mutual benefit, doing so would leave them at risk of being betrayed for individual benefit.
Schrödinger's Cat
The problem of measuring the Quantum
Schrödinger's Cat is a well-known thought experiment whereupon Schrödinger wanted to demonstrate the absurdity of applying the quantum to the macro scale in a way that was accessible to the average person.
In the experiment, a cat is placed within a container that is sealed off from outside observation by all conceivable mechanisms. Within the container is the titular cat, a small sample of radioactive material, a geiger counter and a jar of poison gas. The container will remain sealed and undisturbed for one hour, the radioactive material has a 50-50 chance of decaying enough to trigger the geiger counter. If the geiger counter is triggered, the poison will be released and kill the cat. The cat is excluded as an observer in its own quantum state.

In what state is the cat prior to opening?
Spoiler:
The answer is that it cannot be known. Prior to observation, the cat can be said to be both alive and dead with the wavefucntion collapsing into a binary state once the container is open and the experiment observed. Of course, the cat 'cannot' be actually alive *and* dead but you cannot know which is which until it is measured - the act of which affects the experiment and your measurements affect whether it was dead or alive all along.

Thus the problem of measuring the Quantum - the act of doing so alters the outcome.
The Chinese Room Argument
Is understanding the same as knowing?
Alice is a monolingual English speaker locked into a room, it is thoroughly sealed with no means of exit obviously apparent. Inside the room is a slot to the outside world, a pile of plates with a bunch of Chinese letters written on it and a book written in English with rules regarding to the usage of these plates. At regular intervals, a message is sent through the slot which Alice picks up and reads. Whenever a message is sent in through the slot, it is always written in Chinese which Alice cannot understand. She consults the book and notices that the book tells her which plates to put through the slot whenever she receives a particular message, even if she cannot understand the words - she recognises the symbols and their arrangement.

Despite not knowing or being able to speak Chinese, can it be said that Alice understands the Chinese language?
Spoiler:
There is no officially accepted or true answer to this question. In summary, it is an argument against Artificial Intelligence being able to exist by stating that any perceived understanding is merely programming to respond to particular stimuli.
However, my interpretation is that this argument fails to consider that it is assuming that other human brains are thinking and not operating in the same manner as Alice in the locked room, you certainly may think you are thinking and you may be probably be right about that, but, can you say the same for other people you know? Can you say for certain that they ARE thinking and understanding? Or perhaps are they merely just responding to stimuli, just like Alice?
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Re: Philosophical problems and logical paradoxes

Post by Stickymayhem » #410142

http://ncase.me/trust//

This game explains game theory better than anything else, is super interesting and kind of puts the prisoner's dilemma to bed in a way that doesn't depress me.

I really recommend it. I won't spoil the outcomes but it basically applies the prisoner's dilemma to larger groups to see which strategies are most successful.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #410145

Philosophical problem: SS13 is supposed to be a paranoia laden role playing game.
Logical paradox: TG station shuns role playing and keeps adding dumb memes instead.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #410532

Lumbermancer wrote:Philosophical problem: SS13 is supposed to be a paranoia laden role playing game.
Logical paradox: TG station shuns role playing and keeps adding dumb memes instead.
is this bait
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #410553

Maybe?
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #410560

Stickymayhem wrote:http://ncase.me/trust//

This game explains game theory better than anything else, is super interesting and kind of puts the prisoner's dilemma to bed in a way that doesn't depress me.

I really recommend it. I won't spoil the outcomes but it basically applies the prisoner's dilemma to larger groups to see which strategies are most successful.
thanks for showing me this it was pretty cool
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
ohnopigeons
Byond Username: Ohnopigeons
Github Username: ohnopigeons

Post by ohnopigeons » #410566

Prisoner's Dilemma
There is nothing wrong or paradoxical about the conclusion to betray each other. The prisoners are isolated from each other, and they cannot communicate. They are also playing this game only one time. To understand the conclusion of betrayal, you must think of another game, similar to the prisoner's dilemma. In fact it's exactly the same, only you play it multiple times with the same person. Playing the Prisoner's Dilemma over many times has lead to the following strategy: tit for tat.
Chris Bateman, concisely summing up Axelrod’s conclusions from his experiments with the Prisoner’s Dilemma, notes that the most successful strategy requires that a player “be nice (never the first to defect), [be] retaliating (willing to defect), [be] forgiving (willing to attempt to regain trust by breaking a defection cycle), and [be] non-envious (not specifically attempt to outscore individual opponents).”
So if the two players have played the prisoner's dilemma before, and they've reached an equilibrium state where they both cooperate (aka trust), then they cooperate in prison too after the bank robbery (or whatever crime). If the two literally just met and now their lives are on the line with significant amounts of jail time, then yeah you betray.

I just spoiled Sticky's game but the link still worth checking out.

Schrödinger's Cat
There is an interpretation, known Relational Quantum Mechanics (RQM) which is quite similar to the most popular Copenhagen interpretation, but with the difference of completely abandoning the classical notion that some absolute state exists, even on the macro scale. This neatly gets rid of any weirdness or inconsistencies and I've been unable to find a flaw with this viewpoint.
The relational interpretation makes no fundamental distinction between the human experimenter, the cat, or the apparatus, or between animate and inanimate systems; all are quantum systems governed by the same rules of wavefunction evolution, and all may be considered "observers". But the relational interpretation allows that different observers can give different accounts of the same series of events, depending on the information they have about the system.[19] The cat can be considered an observer of the apparatus; meanwhile, the experimenter can be considered another observer of the system in the box (the cat plus the apparatus). Before the box is opened, the cat, by nature of its being alive or dead, has information about the state of the apparatus (the atom has either decayed or not decayed); but the experimenter does not have information about the state of the box contents. In this way, the two observers simultaneously have different accounts of the situation: To the cat, the wavefunction of the apparatus has appeared to "collapse"; to the experimenter, the contents of the box appear to be in superposition. Not until the box is opened, and both observers have the same information about what happened, do both system states appear to "collapse" into the same definite result, a cat that is either alive or dead.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #412361

Suppose there is a clown that HONKs everyone who does not HONK themselves, and only those people.

Does the clown HONK itself?
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #412370

question invalid, clowns are HONK
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #418974

I am a clairvoyant and I can predict whatever someone is going to do.
In front of you are two boxes which shall be labeled A and B respectively. The rules are as follows: You may choose to take either both boxes, or box B only. Box A contains $100. you may not take only Box A.
I have already predicted your choice, but I will not tell you what I predicted until you have. If I have predicted that you would choose only box B, then I will have put $1000 in box B; if I predicted that you would choose both, or make your choice randomly, then there will be nothing in box B. What do you do? Take only Box B and risk getting nothing if I'm wrong or take both and walk away with $100 regardless of whatever I predicted?
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #419002

false premise tbh

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #419004

actually I'm trying to game the third phase right now and I keep getting to 48 out of 49
why
where's my last lousy point

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #420069

Alice volunteers to undergo an experiment and is told all of the following details: On Sunday she will be put to sleep. Once or twice, during the experiment, Alice will be awakened, interviewed, and put back to sleep with an amnesia-inducing drug that makes her forget that awakening. A perfectly-fair coin will be tossed to determine which experimental procedure to undertake:

- If the coin comes up heads, Alice will be awakened and interviewed on Monday only.
- If the coin comes up tails, she will be awakened and interviewed on Monday and Tuesday.

In either case, she will be awakened on Wednesday without interview and the experiment ends.

Any time Alice is awakened and interviewed she will not be able to tell which day it is or whether she has been awakened before. During the interview Alice is asked: "What is the probability that the coin we flipped was heads?"

Is the answer 1 in 2, or 1 in 3?
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #420073

The coin was only flipped once and there are only two possible outcomes based on it.

Where does the confusion of the 1:3 outcome stem from?
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #420074

Timbrewolf wrote:The coin was only flipped once and there are only two possible outcomes based on it.

It seems that way but you have to take into account that it's possible that you're not being woken up for the first time since Sunday. Since you don't retain knowledge between days, you have no way of knowing that today is Monday or Tuesday, if you did retain knowledge and this was your second interview, you'd know for certain the coin was tails. But since you don't, you have to allow for the margin of error. When you consider that, there are, in actuality, three possibilities:

Today is Monday, the coin was heads.
Today is Monday, the coin was tails.
Today is Tuesday, the coin was tails.

Knowing that, wouldn't it make sense that the actual probability the coin was heads, is 1 in 3?
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #420075

It's called the Sleeping Beauty problem and nobody is quite sure if the answer is 1 in 2, or 1 in 3. A perfectly fair coin can only have two outcomes as you correctly said, yet when you write down every possible scenario - the math clearly shows there's a higher chance the coin is tails than heads.

It's actually very similar to the Monty Hall problem, where changing your answer after one possibility is removed leaves you with a higher chance of success, despite it going against common sense.
Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Post by Nabski » #420086

I feel like you left out a very important sentence in that coin flipping one.
SpaceManiac
Byond Username: SpaceManiac
Github Username: SpaceManiac

Post by SpaceManiac » #420088

"Probability" is a misnomer here anyways; what the researchers are asking about is confidence. I think that's where a lot of the confusion stems from.

In the Monty Hall problem, there are three possible outcomes of the random event, which are equally weighted. The prize is behind A, B, or C. Picking randomly, you have a 1/3 chance to be correct. When the host, with knowledge of the location of the prize, eliminates one possibility, the prize does not move. The chance your original pick was correct has not changed from having been 1/3. Therefore, the chance your original pick was incorrect is 2/3. You can swap away from your original pick, to the only other remaining possibility, and get the prize 2/3 of the time.

In this problem, there are two possible outcomes of the random event, which are equally weighted. A given experiment will involve either one or two awakenings, with equal probability. In thousands of runs of this experiment, 50% will have one awakening (heads) and 50% will have two awakenings (tails). There are twice as many awakenings which follow a tails flip than that follow a head flip. Therefore in a given awakening you can answer "tails" and be right 2/3 of the time.
Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Post by Nabski » #420090

So yes, they just messed up their phrasing on it.
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #420116

CosmicScientist wrote:

I assume this was an introduction to game theory or a student's project because it relies on each actor's objective being to make as much money as possible to be successful and then makes its rules complex in a way that only serves the conclusions. Or put simply, trust and player behaviour is poorly modelled in that version of continuous game theory.
I learned to exploit to the different mindsets. Cooperate with copycat and grudger all the way until the last round and betray them so that they can't do the same to you. Copykitten would be even easier to exploit, its forgiving demeanour means you'd always get one "free" betray
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #420147

CosmicScientist wrote:tfw naturally played grudge and the game told me I was wrong because I didn't exploit anyone
Well you were playing it wrong Cosmic. It's the Prisoner's Dilemma, not the Prisoner's Soiree. You should be maximising your own reward and minimizing your risk, to do anything else is foolish.
Since I knew ahead of time what each participant was going to vote, I could manipulate the system to maximise my own points. In a real world scenario, I'm the guy who would choose betray every time unless I could guarantee your voting.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #420185

in a real world scenario you'd be the guy catching a real-time punch in the mouth for that kind of behaviour
just super saiyan

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #420193

DemonFiren wrote:in a real world scenario you'd be the guy catching a real-time punch in the mouth for that kind of behaviour
just super saiyan
*betrays your path*
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #420238

Anonmare wrote:
Timbrewolf wrote:The coin was only flipped once and there are only two possible outcomes based on it.

It seems that way but you have to take into account that it's possible that you're not being woken up for the first time since Sunday. Since you don't retain knowledge between days, you have no way of knowing that today is Monday or Tuesday, if you did retain knowledge and this was your second interview, you'd know for certain the coin was tails. But since you don't, you have to allow for the margin of error. When you consider that, there are, in actuality, three possibilities:

Today is Monday, the coin was heads.
Today is Monday, the coin was tails.
Today is Tuesday, the coin was tails.

Knowing that, wouldn't it make sense that the actual probability the coin was heads, is 1 in 3?
That's like some kind of observer bias though. You aren't thinking about the scenario empirically. There are three possible situations you could be in when asked the question but there are still only two results that could've caused this. If I flip the coin and only observe the heads result once and the tails result a million times it doesn't change the variables that the coin is only flipped once and only has two outcomes.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #420242

Really you're asking two different questions

The answer to the question "did the coin come up heads" will never change from 1/2
The question you are implying and getting the 1/3 result from is "Is this the first/only time you've been woken up?"

There's a cause and effect linkage between the two but they are asking different things of different numerical systems.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #420743

Anonmare wrote:It's called the Sleeping Beauty problem and nobody is quite sure if the answer is 1 in 2, or 1 in 3. A perfectly fair coin can only have two outcomes as you correctly said, yet when you write down every possible scenario - the math clearly shows there's a higher chance the coin is tails than heads.

It's actually very similar to the Monty Hall problem, where changing your answer after one possibility is removed leaves you with a higher chance of success, despite it going against common sense.
I'm glad this thread came about because it reminded me of the Python script I was going to write to show actual numbers for the monty hall thing, because I still didn't believe it despite Sticky explaining it to me a year ago...

Code:
Spoiler:

Code: Select all

"""
--------THREE DOOR MONTY--------
You're a contestant on a game show called 'THREE DOOR MONTY'.
The game is simple:
    * There are three doors
    * Behind one door is a car
    * The other two: goats
    * You get to pick a random door
    * Of the remain two doors, a door with a goat is removed
    * You have a choice of either switching or staying

Do you have a higher probability of winning if you switch or stay?
"""

from random import randrange, shuffle
from pypyodbc import *

#conn = connect('DRIVER={SQL Server};SERVER=MAIN-02\GAMETHEORY;DATABASE=ThreeDoorMonty;UID=con;PWD=nection')

vicCount_stayer = 0			            # victory counter for the stayer
vicCount_switcher = 0			        # victory counter for the switcher

for i in range(100):
    print()
    print("Loop Start: " + str(i+1))
    # what can be behind the door
    prizes = ['goat1', 'car', 'goat2']
    shuffle(prizes)

# the doors - choose randomly from list, remove answer from list
    doorA = prizes.pop(randrange(0, (len(prizes))))
    doorB = prizes.pop(randrange(0, (len(prizes))))
    doorC = prizes.pop(randrange(0, (len(prizes))))

doors = [doorA, doorB, doorC]
    print("Doors: " + str(doors))

# Sticker chooses a random door
    sticker = doors.pop(randrange(0, (len(doors))))
    print("Sticker: " + sticker)

# Eliminate an unpicked door that contained a goat
    while True:
        ind = randrange(0, (len(doors)))
        if (doors[ind] == 'goat1') or (doors[ind] == 'goat2'):
            eliminated = doors.pop(ind)
            break

# What the choice would be if the contestant switched
    # quick sanity check
    if len(doors) != 1:
        print("Too many choices left, exiting")
        exit(999)
    switcher = doors.pop()
    print("Switcher: " + switcher)

# Check who wins: the stayer or the switcher. Add 1 to relevant tally.
    # sanity check
    if(sticker == 'car') and (switcher == 'car'):
        print("There can only be one")
        exit(911)

if sticker == 'car':
        vicCount_stayer += 1
    if switcher == 'car':
        vicCount_switcher += 1

print()
print("Sticker Wins: " + str(vicCount_stayer))
print("Switcher Wins: " + str(vicCount_switcher))

Dump of 100 iterations:
Spoiler:

D:\Programming\Projects\PyCharmProjects\ThreeDoorMonty\venv\Scripts\python.exe D:/Programming/Projects/PyCharmProjects/ThreeDoorMonty/main.py

Loop Start: 1
Doors: ['goat1', 'car', 'goat2']
Sticker: car
Switcher: goat1

Loop Start: 2

Loop Start: 3
Doors: ['goat1', 'goat2', 'car']
Sticker: goat1
Switcher: car

Loop Start: 4
Doors: ['goat2', 'goat1', 'car']
Sticker: goat2

Loop Start: 5
Doors: ['car', 'goat2', 'goat1']

Loop Start: 6

Loop Start: 7

Loop Start: 8

Loop Start: 9

Loop Start: 10

Loop Start: 11

Loop Start: 12
Doors: ['car', 'goat1', 'goat2']

Loop Start: 13
Doors: ['goat2', 'car', 'goat1']

Loop Start: 14
Switcher: goat2

Loop Start: 15

Loop Start: 16

Loop Start: 17

Loop Start: 18

Loop Start: 19

Loop Start: 20

Loop Start: 21

Loop Start: 22

Loop Start: 23

Loop Start: 24

Loop Start: 25

Loop Start: 26

Loop Start: 27

Loop Start: 28

Loop Start: 29

Loop Start: 30

Loop Start: 31

Loop Start: 32

Loop Start: 33

Loop Start: 34

Loop Start: 35

Loop Start: 36

Loop Start: 37

Loop Start: 38

Loop Start: 39

Loop Start: 40

Loop Start: 41

Loop Start: 42

Loop Start: 43

Loop Start: 44

Loop Start: 45

Loop Start: 46

Loop Start: 47

Loop Start: 48

Loop Start: 49

Loop Start: 50

Loop Start: 51

Loop Start: 52

Loop Start: 53

Loop Start: 54

Loop Start: 55

Loop Start: 56

Loop Start: 57

Loop Start: 58

Loop Start: 59

Loop Start: 60

Loop Start: 61

Loop Start: 62

Loop Start: 63

Loop Start: 64

Loop Start: 65

Loop Start: 66

Loop Start: 67

Loop Start: 68

Loop Start: 69

Loop Start: 70

Loop Start: 71

Loop Start: 72

Loop Start: 73

Loop Start: 74

Loop Start: 75

Loop Start: 76

Loop Start: 77

Loop Start: 78

Loop Start: 79

Loop Start: 80

Loop Start: 81

Loop Start: 82

Loop Start: 83

Loop Start: 84

Loop Start: 85

Loop Start: 86

Loop Start: 87

Loop Start: 88

Loop Start: 89

Loop Start: 90

Loop Start: 91

Loop Start: 92

Loop Start: 93

Loop Start: 94

Loop Start: 95

Loop Start: 96

Loop Start: 97

Loop Start: 98

Loop Start: 99

Loop Start: 100

Sticker Wins: 27
Switcher Wins: 73
Results:

Sticker Wins: 27
Switcher Wins: 73 
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #420791

#blackboxlivesmatter

placeholder for a more intelligent comment in four years

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #429950

How many stars are out tonight?

Look at your keyboard. How many keys have singular alphabetical letters? 26, assuming you're English speaking, right? What if I told you there are 26 stars in the sky tonight?

Look at your clock on the wall, there are 12 numbered positions on it. Multiply that number by a factor of 5, divide it 3 then square it. From that number, we can say that there are 400 stars in the sky tonight.

Both of these answers are correct. Now, how can this be?
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #429971

That doesn't even make any sense. "Here are two different math problems with two different answers HOW CAN THIS BEEEEEE?"

Here's another free of charge: 1+1 = 2, but 2+2 = 4. HOW CAN THIS BEEEEEEEEEEEEEE?
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #429985

that has nothing to do with either philosophy or logic
it's just the rabbit thirsting for (you)s like it thirsts for lizard cum

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #430035

ShadowDimentio wrote:That doesn't even make any sense. "Here are two different math problems with two different answers HOW CAN THIS BEEEEEE?"

Here's another free of charge: 1+1 = 2, but 2+2 = 4. HOW CAN THIS BEEEEEEEEEEEEEE?
It's really easy ShadowDummy. I said:
"There are [Number] stars in the sky tonight."
The way I worded my answer is technically correct, there are indeed at least 26/400 stars in the sky tonight, but I never actually answered the question in bold. I only said how many stars I was willing to count. Since the actual answer is ever-changing, giving a direct answer to the question (I.E. Just a number) will always be wrong.

For example, you could say: "There are sixteen stars in the night sky tonight." This is technically true, as there are at least sixteen stars in the sky. As long as you don't answer the question (i.e. how many stars are there in the night sky tonight) directly, you can say whatever amount you want. Sixteen, forty-two, six to the power of two; they're all correct as long as you say the answer in the right format.

This is more of a problem of language than it is one of logic or mathematics.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #430074

Anonmare wrote:I only said how many stars I was willing to count. Since the actual answer is ever-changing, giving a direct answer to the question (I.E. Just a number) will always be wrong.
Wrong. Space is infinite but there's only a finite number of stars in it at one time, we just don't know how many there are.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #430132

ShadowDimentio wrote:Space is infinite
[citation needed]

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
leibniz
Byond Username: Leibniz

Post by leibniz » #430196

Anonmare wrote:
ShadowDimentio wrote:That doesn't even make any sense. "Here are two different math problems with two different answers HOW CAN THIS BEEEEEE?"

It's really easy ShadowDummy. I said:
"There are [Number] stars in the sky tonight."
The way I worded my answer is technically correct, there are indeed at least 26/400 stars in the sky tonight, but I never actually answered the question in bold. I only said how many stars I was willing to count. Since the actual answer is ever-changing, giving a direct answer to the question (I.E. Just a number) will always be wrong.

For example, you could say: "There are sixteen stars in the night sky tonight." This is technically true, as there are at least sixteen stars in the sky. As long as you don't answer the question (i.e. how many stars are there in the night sky tonight) directly, you can say whatever amount you want. Sixteen, forty-two, six to the power of two; they're all correct as long as you say the answer in the right format.

This is more of a problem of language than it is one of logic or mathematics.
But by saying that they are answers, it is implied that they answer the proposed question.
Semantics is really boring.
Founder and only member of the "Whitelist Nukeops" movement
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #489256

Anonmare wrote:It's called the Sleeping Beauty problem and nobody is quite sure if the answer is 1 in 2, or 1 in 3. A perfectly fair coin can only have two outcomes as you correctly said, yet when you write down every possible scenario - the math clearly shows there's a higher chance the coin is tails than heads.

Play the monty hall problem with a deck of cards instead of three doors and the way the math works becomes clear

I have a deck of 52 cards, ask you to draw one face down without looking at it, if it's the ace of spades then you win
After you draw, I select a card and place it face-down on the table, then show you the remaining 50 cards to confirm that none of them are the ace of spades
I then ask you if you want to swap

There is clearly a 51/52 chance that my card is the ace of spades compared to your 1/52, because you selected randomly from the large set while I did not select at random. Just like the doors in the monty hall problem, it's not a case of "there's two doors left so it's 50-50 whether it's mine or his", it's "there was a 2/3 chance of my initial guess being wrong and he's deliberately eliminated a losing door from the two I didn't guess, leaving only one door left in that set"
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #489516

The Chinese character one from the OP is absolutely idiotic. Is there seriously anyone actually arguing that Alice understands Chinese there? Anyone who does is probably too dumb to think properly. That's the only way I can possibly imagine anyone coming to such a crazy conclusion.

The only way to understand Chinese is to be able to link each character with what it represents. The form of that link doesn't matter. Alice fails to understand Chinese because there is no such link. An automaton could understand Chinese even if it's "just" a response stimulus because there is, in fact, such a link.

I think I'm getting tripped up because there's this weird philosophical argument that human brains and rational thought don't "follow the rules" of the rest of the universe, which is of course ridiculous on its face. This is how we come to stupid ideas like the brain is "being driven" by a soul which is separate from the brain entirely. Which is fun and cute in fiction or religion or even philosophy but scary when you consider fully grown adults actually believe this nonsense as a model of the universe, including people who should know better by going to college and becoming fucking scientists.
ShadowDimentio wrote:
Anonmare wrote:I only said how many stars I was willing to count. Since the actual answer is ever-changing, giving a direct answer to the question (I.E. Just a number) will always be wrong.
Wrong. Space is infinite...
Unknown if this is true AFAIK. The observable universe, on the other hand, is very much not infinite. So yes, there are countably many stars in the night sky. This also ignores cutoffs from brightness, which would cut down the number of stars to countably many even if it was literally infinite. Given enough distance, a star of any possible brightness would be too dim to see.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #489519

It's a common misconception. Space is boundless, but finite.
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #489536

does the trolley problem count because I like yelling about how its variations make my brain hurt
MisterPerson
Board Moderator

Post by MisterPerson » #489542

If I took all of the molecules that compose a human being, take them apart, and then put them back together in the exact same configuration, is this still the same person or a new person?

Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #489544

You wouldn't be able to put it in exact same configuration.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator

Post by MisterPerson » #489546

Very similar then, within a very small tolerance.

Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #489547

MisterPerson
Board Moderator

Post by MisterPerson » #489611

Hylas is a fucking idiot.