JOB GENERAL

Talk about non-ss13 stuff here.
MAGiC

JOB GENERAL

Post by MAGiC » #49108

You guys are employed or unemployed?

Christmas is approaching and I'm looking to work somewhere busy (in christmas) to earn some cash. I'm applying everywhere but it's like my first time so I don't know if I'm doing it right or anything

JOB GENERAL, COME OVER AND TALK ABOUT JOB, GIVE ADVICE ABOUT JOB, OR WHINE ABOUT JOB
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Re: JOB GENERAL

Post by Ikarrus » #49114

VIDEO GAMES

People like to talk about it like it's a horrible career akin to slavery but I'm having a fucking blast and I love it. We're spoiled, if anything.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
MAGiC

Post by MAGiC » #49117

Ikarrus wrote:VIDEO GAMES

People like to talk about it like it's a horrible career akin to slavery but I'm having a fucking blast and I love it. We're spoiled, if anything.

In what are you working specifically, video-game wise?
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #49118

I am a professional 3D artist. Modelling and texturing, lighting and layout design.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
MAGiC

Post by MAGiC » #49119

Ikarrus wrote:I am a professional 3D artist. Modelling and texturing, lighting and layout design.
that's cool
ColonicAcid
Byond Username: ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #49121

Just worked 12 hours today.
Going to have to work 14 hours every day @ Christmas week atleast it's double pay.
fucking warehouse work in christmas sales is literally death.
i'm legit pretty much a QM irl
i should work, come home and then play quartermaster 24/7 for those german feels.
crack is whack but smacks got your back
Hornygranny
Horny Police
Byond Username: Hornygranny

Post by Hornygranny » #49130

IT
i do it at great expense so i can afford to do it for free
ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #49132

>he does it for free
TheWiznard
Github User
Byond Username: TheWiznard
Github Username: TheWiznard

Post by TheWiznard » #49172

link
Last edited by TheWiznard on Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
miggles
Byond Username: Miggles

Post by miggles » #49175

wait for the old people to die and steal their jobs
dezzmont wrote:I am one of sawrge's alt accounts
dezzmont wrote:sawrge has it right.
Connor wrote:miggles is correct though
fleure
Byond Username: Fleure

Post by fleure » #49181

Software engineer at a Fortune 500 tech firm. I've done test, support and development for data storage virtualisation solutions, mostly involved in the latter two these days.
Ex-/tg/station maintainer for being a lazy shit.
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #49185

Trying to get my MSc in CompSci so all I do are part time jobs, usually assisting at a course at my college (stuff like grading assignments and answering questions at programming practicals).
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
nsos
Byond Username: NOSENSEOFSELF

Post by nsos » #49192

right now i 'm still in univ but as part of my major, i work/co-op part time as a copy editor/proofreader/whatever at a city newspaper. o

the shittier city newspaper. you know the kind.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #49237

Currently unemployed. Got a degree that should have got be into research laboratory work but glorious aus government decided to cut research funding right after I finished my degree. Not that I wanted to work for them but they dumped a ton of experienced researchers on the job market also Aus economy rotting because we expected raw resources to solve all our problems like a cargo cult.
Snake2512
Byond Username: Snake2512

Post by Snake2512 » #55905

>All these cunts that went to Uni

Wheres me dropping out at year 11 and workin' for the family lads at?
4:08 PM - Maccus: you touched me as a kid remember
miggles

Post by miggles » #55931

family business isnt a thing anymore jake
ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #55933

australians are backwards
they started with massive conglomerates and evolved into family and home businesses.
Loonikus
Byond Username: Loonicus

Post by Loonikus » #55957

I'm what the call a lineman at the international airport. I do general labor around the maintenance bays like refueling, cargo transfer, moving aircraft around, stuff the actual mechanics can't be assed to do. I also perform actual maintenance when mechanics need a hand, but legally I can't work on aircraft without their direct supervision.

I'm also in school to get my aeronautical maintenance technician certification.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #55964

Was working for a game company (very tg related) but got out because their marketing budget literally didn't exist. So that's 5-6 months down the tubes for nothing. Looking for work now that's closer to family and closer to a city over the size of 10k.
WeeYakk
Byond Username: Yakk

Post by WeeYakk » #56080

HVAC apprentice. It's like I'm a real life atmos tech in that I sometimes get to lay pipes and control air quality but more so in that I have very little to do but people think I'm a wizard.

>Travel along with one of the older dudes going to inspect an oil tank
>Get out of the van
>"Is it wet on the top?"
>"No."
>"Are there any leaks?"
>"No."
>"Is it an oil tank?"
>"Yeah."
>"Okay, look busy for 9 more minutes and I'll go charge these people $300."
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #56104

That's like IT for people who can't use computers weeyakk

Also mortician master race, basically free money if you're male because the business is still rather archaic

I'm with you on that one snake, working for family is awesome.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Maccus
Byond Username: FrowningMaccus

Post by Maccus » #56120

paprika wrote:That's like IT for people who can't use computers weeyakk

Also mortician master race, basically free money if you're male because the business is still rather archaic

I'm with you on that one snake, working for family is awesome.
You work with dead people? How often do you hook up with a client?
Spoiler:
Snake2512
Byond Username: Snake2512

Post by Snake2512 » #56180

i heard its not very lively
4:08 PM - Maccus: you touched me as a kid remember
WeeYakk
Byond Username: Yakk

Post by WeeYakk » #56211

Seems like a dead end job to me.
miggles

Post by miggles » #56302

working for a mortuary is a grave mistake if you value your social life
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #56315

I sell computers and computer accessories.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #56347

miggles wrote:working for a mortuary is a grave mistake if you value your social life
most of it is pretty underground
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
Big Faggot
Byond Username: Floof5467

Post by Big Faggot » #56410

i turn tricks behind 7/11 24/7
rook

Post by rook » #56691

I WORK AT A SKI RESORT ON THE WEEKENDS IT'S WHATEVER BUT I GET FREE LIFT TICKETS.

SHARE THE GNAR BRO :rockon:
nsos

Post by nsos » #56728

i maintain and run this page on facebook for monetary gain.

i cannot disclose who i am receiving payment from
srifenbyxp
Byond Username: Srifenbyxp

Post by srifenbyxp » #56753

I am a red shirt in real life, both armed and unarmed. I'm in school for vidya and got a paid intership lined up. Going for Modeling, Texturing, Rigging, and Level Design in that order. Once my skill and autism is maxed out I plan on doing a short series of Dwarf Fortress - Adventure Mode. I already have a storyboard made for the first episode.
To be robust is not about combat prowess, it is the state of readiness for the situation at hand.
fleure

Post by fleure » #56789

nsos wrote:i maintain and run this page on facebook for monetary gain.
You're p weird
nsos

Post by nsos » #56812

i make six figures from dank memes dude
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #56837

I work at McShittles and am in school. I hate the shit out of my job but the hours are good.
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Reyouka
Byond Username: Reyouka

Post by Reyouka » #57202

Retail at Family Dollar. Not the worst job ever, but not something I plan on making a career of.
[img]http://steamsignature.com/status/english/76561197966737024.png[/img][url=steam://friends/add/76561197966737024]Image[/url]
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #57868

I'm an IT Technician, I help people that bitch and moan because they're too dumb to work out how to turn on a computer.

A laptop started smoking the other day, that was fun.
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #57882

Malkevin wrote:I'm an IT Technician, I help people that bitch and moan because they're too dumb to work out how to turn on a computer.

A laptop started smoking the other day, that was fun.
cigarettes or tobacco pipe?
Spoiler:
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #57884

A Li-Ion battery.
kosmos
Byond Username: Kingofkosmos

Post by kosmos » #57885

I'm a civil engineer. Currently designing roads and surroundings to a bus terminal and shopping mall, making sure the old people can cross roads safely while the other traffic goes smoothly.
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #57886

Malkevin wrote:A Li-Ion battery.
lithium is really bad for your lungs, tell it to switch to nicotine plasters
Spoiler:
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #58334

How about this, which station job is your real life job (or what you are studying in school) most like?
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
certified good poster
QuartzCrystal
Byond Username: QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #58349

I'm currently underemployed, graduated philosophy major from uni. Mostly have work doing writing/journalism stuff and non-profit/political organizing. Working currently for very little pay in the prelude to the Canadian federal election this year which should be leading to an actual paying job during the election, probably until then to pay the bills I'll be doing non-profit fundraising for a local group I've worked for a lot in the past few years.

If what I'm actually good at and ideally like doing was a job on the station it'd be most like HoP or rev-head, lolz.
alterpanda

Post by alterpanda » #58357

I work at a Car Dealership, technically i'm part of the Body Shop, but im a gofer/IT, i know nothing about IT but someone has to set up the computers for the sales guys, most of my day is spent listening to Impacts and paintguns, every now and then i have to move/order/prep parts for the shop,
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #58359

I am in my 4th year of my bacherlors degree in biotech, so probably xenobiology or genetics for me
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #58369

>not mustard race biochem
youll never make it brother.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #58393

Did a few years of biochem, it was all biochemical pathway memorization. I was okay at it but didnt like it much. Organic chemistry on the other hand is the funnest shit. If i had coder skillz i would try a chem revamp with cool glassware and chemical synthesis beyond just mixing shit
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #58472

I'm guessing roboticist or scientist or something if I were to work at SS13? To be honest, "are you insane enough to travel to a metal death trap in deep space for what little we will pay you" is a more important question during Nanotrasen's job interviews than "can you actually do this job".
Spoiler:
fleure

Post by fleure » #58631

Wyzack wrote:How about this, which station job is your real life job (or what you are studying in school) most like?
Probably robotics since /tg/ doesn't have any computer engineering role really.

AI is a pretty fascinating subject but I kind of put myself off after studying it and finding AI has had a pretty underwhelming history. Which in retrospect was a mistake, I think it's starting to take off again with things like big data and analytics. I work in data so I could use it as a stepping stone for AI work.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #58634

Artificial intelligence is basically a huge myth, no shit it has an underwhelming history. It's a science fiction boogyman almost exclusively. In smaller forms, sure, it might be advanced to the point where it can replace most minimum-wage jobs, but artificial intelligence to the point of having personality is basically impossible. Even the AIs and cyborgs in ss13 aren't true AIs, they're fueled by a human brain, showing just how complex our grey matter is.

As soon as the DoD gives you funding to rip out people's brains and put them in killer machines though, lemme know.

I would be a janitor. A riveting job on a space station, ignored by most threats in space, but able to defend yourself with mops and bear traps.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
fleure

Post by fleure » #58637

paprika wrote:Artificial intelligence is basically a huge myth, no shit it has an underwhelming history. It's a science fiction boogyman almost exclusively.
Our expectations have definitely been misaligned to our capabilities due to science fiction, but I don't think the idea of "true" AI is completely out of the realms of possibility. It's certainly clear we need to change expectations and how we approach the problem, it's never going to be done by a Turing machine. And this is without entertaining the idea of dualism or the idea that human personality and thought is affected by organs other than the brain.

Ripping out and canning brains would be p cool though. Transhumanist immortality ahoy!