PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Re: John Wick Chapter 3: Parabellum

Post by PKPenguin321 » #495452

fortnite
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #495459

Was it though? Because 1st was great, but 2nd was so mindnumbingly dumb I didn't even finish it.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #495460

Lumbermancer wrote:Was it though? Because 1st was great, but 2nd was so mindnumbingly dumb I didn't even finish it.
i like 1 and 2 and 3

if you dont like seeing John Wick goes to Beautiful Setpiece and Fights Guys then i dunno what to tell you dude cuz there's some of that in there.
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #495471

First movie was tight in scope and character driven. It could have been an independent production. I don't quite remember the second, but it was something like ACTION ACTION DUMB WORLDBUILDING MUH ASSSASSINS, and third one appears to be more of it.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #495473

don't watch it then
SaveVatznick
Byond Username: SaveVatznick

Post by SaveVatznick » #495481

I just saw it and loved it. It was better than I expected. It's an action-comedy. Every single fight scene is superbly executed AND has some kind of visual comedic gimmick or theme to it. The characters have become conscious that they're in a universe that revolves around John Wick killing things and have accepted it fully.

I seriously wonder if John Wick 3 is some kind of commentary on modern-day action movies. They have to compete with big CGI action figures fighting purple man and worlds exploding and shit, and so John Wick 3 responds by making everything gratuitously over-the-top and then turning to the audience and winking. The movie is self-conscious and plays for comedy.
For Example - There is a scene where John Wick gets hit by a car, and it's what you'd expect from "man-gets-hit-by-car-in movie". A big black SUV plows into him, and he rolls up the hood then falls to the ground. He starts to get back up. Pretty standard stuff, right? Immediately after he gets up, he is hit by ANOTHER SUV. Just getting hit by one car doesn't compete with Iron Man anymore. It is hilarious because it goes over the top both in smart and ridiculous ways. Spoilering more instances of genuinely funny gags the film pulls:
Spoiler:
-He's not just kicked into a glass case, he's kicking into literally EVERY GLASS CASE THAT EXISTS in a room made of glass things. Even John Wick stepping into the glass room is funny in the first place, because the audience knows he's going to utterly destroy it. The fact that they make a point to continue to set up people getting kicked into glass cases one of the other gets funnier the more it happens.
-He doesn't just chuck one knife at one guy, it's a roomful of guys throwing cases and cases of knives at each other. In the end, Wick casual tosses a fucking axe across the room just to double-tap someone.
-The panic room in the hotel has a giant switch dedicated to setting all the lights in the hotel to "Rave murder party" mode".
-John Wick has to fight people wearing some kind of uber armor and he just shoots them so many fucking times it's comical.
-The leader of the assassin society or whatever is in the middle of bumfuck nowhere in a desert LARPing as a fucking islamic prince or something and John Wick follows the stars to get to him.
-The gag of the dogs constantly coming flying in from out of frame and latching onto some bad guy's dick
-The horse kick. it happens the first time and I spit out my drink. It happens the second time and you can see it coming and it makes it that much funnier.
-The bald guy stands up and says in Japanese "We are both masters of death, mister Wick!". He can speak perfect English, but he still pronounces it "Misteru Wicku!" That has got to be intentional.
-The way the ninja motorcycle assassins fall off their bikes is slapstick. The ninjas rolling around and double/triple teaming people in general was funny.
I only have a few complaints:
1. Halle Berry's character took a bit too much screentime for my liking and just disappears when she's done. She was good in the big fight she was in, but I kinda just wanted to see more Keanu Reeves killing people.
2. Where's the blood? People get butchered and impaled, bopped in the nose, smashed into walls, there's no blood. There's only blood if it's being shown really up close. It makes a difference, I wanted to see the rooms get painted red.
3. I thought this would be the last movie in the series and apparently it isn't. I think 4 Wick movies is pushing it and I don't want it to become a proper franchise. At this rate, John Wick 4 needs to be Crank-2 levels of over the top.

Other than that, I really enjoyed how they injected a much-needed shot of levity into the John Wick formula, and look forwards to 4. I rate it 7.5 / 9, definitely go see it.
Leora Fleebish is every bad part of me stuffed into a 32x32 sprite.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #495488

SaveVatznick wrote:I just saw it and loved it. It was better than I expected. It's an action-comedy. Every single fight scene is superbly executed AND has some kind of visual comedic gimmick or theme to it. The characters have become conscious that they're in a universe that revolves around John Wick killing things and have accepted it fully.

I seriously wonder if John Wick 3 is some kind of commentary on modern-day action movies. They have to compete with big CGI action figures fighting purple man and worlds exploding and shit, and so John Wick 3 responds by making everything gratuitously over-the-top and then turning to the audience and winking. The movie is self-conscious and plays for comedy.
For Example - There is a scene where John Wick gets hit by a car, and it's what you'd expect from "man-gets-hit-by-car-in movie". A big black SUV plows into him, and he rolls up the hood then falls to the ground. He starts to get back up. Pretty standard stuff, right? Immediately after he gets up, he is hit by ANOTHER SUV. Just getting hit by one car doesn't compete with Iron Man anymore. It is hilarious because it goes over the top both in smart and ridiculous ways. Spoilering more instances of genuinely funny gags the film pulls:
Spoiler:
-He's not just kicked into a glass case, he's kicking into literally EVERY GLASS CASE THAT EXISTS in a room made of glass things. Even John Wick stepping into the glass room is funny in the first place, because the audience knows he's going to utterly destroy it. The fact that they make a point to continue to set up people getting kicked into glass cases one of the other gets funnier the more it happens.
-He doesn't just chuck one knife at one guy, it's a roomful of guys throwing cases and cases of knives at each other. In the end, Wick casual tosses a fucking axe across the room just to double-tap someone.
-The panic room in the hotel has a giant switch dedicated to setting all the lights in the hotel to "Rave murder party" mode".
-John Wick has to fight people wearing some kind of uber armor and he just shoots them so many fucking times it's comical.
-The leader of the assassin society or whatever is in the middle of bumfuck nowhere in a desert LARPing as a fucking islamic prince or something and John Wick follows the stars to get to him.
-The gag of the dogs constantly coming flying in from out of frame and latching onto some bad guy's dick
-The horse kick. it happens the first time and I spit out my drink. It happens the second time and you can see it coming and it makes it that much funnier.
-The bald guy stands up and says in Japanese "We are both masters of death, mister Wick!". He can speak perfect English, but he still pronounces it "Misteru Wicku!" That has got to be intentional.
-The way the ninja motorcycle assassins fall off their bikes is slapstick. The ninjas rolling around and double/triple teaming people in general was funny.
I only have a few complaints:
1. Halle Berry's character took a bit too much screentime for my liking and just disappears when she's done. She was good in the big fight she was in, but I kinda just wanted to see more Keanu Reeves killing people.
2. Where's the blood? People get butchered and impaled, bopped in the nose, smashed into walls, there's no blood. There's only blood if it's being shown really up close. It makes a difference, I wanted to see the rooms get painted red.
3. I thought this would be the last movie in the series and apparently it isn't. I think 4 Wick movies is pushing it and I don't want it to become a proper franchise. At this rate, John Wick 4 needs to be Crank-2 levels of over the top.

Other than that, I really enjoyed how they injected a much-needed shot of levity into the John Wick formula, and look forwards to 4. I rate it 7.5 / 9, definitely go see it.
Spoiler:
i like when he shoved a wakizashi in the spokes of the motorcycle to cause it to flip over and when he had the guy in the armlock and tried to shoot the other and both were out of ammo, so all three of them stood up and had a fight to see who could reload fastest
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #495515

SaveVatznick wrote:2. Where's the blood?.
First one had digital blood added in post and it looked disgusting. What happened to the good old squibs? Do I really have to wait from one Tarantino to the next Tarantino to get real non-cgi effects?