Ban?
8%
IC decapitation?
27%
IC kicking out of airlock naked?
33%
literally nothing?
22%
Maybe someone should do something about it (but not me)?
10%

Total votes: 60

BONERMASTER
Byond Username: BONERMASTER

HOP and AA (Non-binary edition)

Post by BONERMASTER » #589120

This one is for the smooth brain jannies in policy discussion, that shut Xivi's thread down in a record time of 20 minutes. Maybe when you're older, you can actually start handling your fucking appeals in that speed too.

So, we got the HOP and his funny circus antics of handing out all access to the crew. Some people love it, some hate it. Personally, it always pissed me off, I think it adds so much chaos that the game becomes worse for everyone, and it only further empowers shitters that are already well versed in exploiting the game. But I also hear people bringing up other points like unique rounds and situations, having that right be that freedom that defines so much of SS13 (like blowing up the station with your supermatter setup), and the general bottom line that you cannot be banned or punished for not being good at your job.

We got quite a few opinions on this, and it has been done ever since the game was created. Question is, do we recognize this as a grievance, aka something that is generally harmful to us or the game? And if we do, what would be the fair response to this? I listed a few suggestions in the poll, but you can always bring other possibilities to the table.

PS: Since this is the non binary edition, you get two votes.
SIGNATURE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

*YOUR ADVERTISEMENT COULD BE HERE* - Contact BONERMASTER & Associates for further information
XivilaiAnaxes
Byond Username: XivilaiAnaxes

Re: HOP and AA (Non-binary edition)

Post by XivilaiAnaxes » #589124

Wow it really was only 20 minutes what the fuck lmao
Stickymayhem wrote:Imagine the sheer narcisssim required to genuinely believe you are this intelligent.
Kel
Byond Username: Jaraxxus

Post by Kel » #589131

banning for hop AA because of the potential butterfly effect is an awful ground to make your argument on, considering nobody has ever gotten banned for announcing wires and that is well and truly info almost always used for illicit activities that result in larceny, dismemberment and death. a lot of actions can casually snowball into mass destruction, like healing the wrong person, leaving a door open, talking too much shit... the list goes on. if you play as a MD who without fail will bring back anybody from death, you are practically guaranteed to end up reviving antags, which obviously results in more bad things happening. do you really ban the MD for healing too good, or do you baton his ass for being negligent/uncooperative?
Malkraz
Byond Username: Malkraz

Post by Malkraz » #589132

The most important thing for an admin to do is sanitize the round to ensure nothing interesting happens
BACK TO YOUR STATIONS
wesoda24: malkrax you're a loser because your forum signature is people talking about you
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #589158

rounds being ruined by aa spread is a code issue that can be easily solved if someone would finish the id rework we already have a doc for

i would rather the code issue be fixed rather than admins feel the need to play darkrp rooftop phys gun superman player model on duty

(this includes me too, the first part)
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
BONERMASTER

Post by BONERMASTER » #589159

How would that ID rework look like? Why couldn't the hop give you access to everything then?

*YOUR ADVERTISEMENT COULD BE HERE* - Contact BONERMASTER & Associates for further information
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #589162

Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.

FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #589166

Imagine over-engineering a new system to a problem based behaviorally

A) HOS and Command requires a medium RP response doctrine to spiralling out of control situations, its only appropriate and on lower RP it can be chalked down to a more succinct culling of non-complicance given arrangement and further ass-covering preperations. Once the HOP is (preferably) trialled, stripped of rank and detained the ID's are recalled working down the list records until they're all reset.

B) Repeat offenders need to be discouraged, this ban does nothing because the admins are the same meek-geeks who fail to make a impact on the station because it inflicts as much hurt onto them to knock a HOP out for a dayban and get mad that the player didnt listen to them to continue to do it again. Many security players actually quit because greytiders want to be caught and waste your time catching them in the arbitary timing system. Do something different, drag them off cams and beat them into a inch of their life, swirlie them, generally discourage their lack of a parental figure with a good hiding until they learn that your presence threatens what they do.

(edit: hang on, crossed trains of thought) I literally shot out Greytider Emily's kneecaps until they stopped logging on to grief which was the whole of their character (and they removed kneecap shooting, you cowards).

C) Not a single person denied the AA, and said admin could have just played along to chime in as a brassed off centcomm official to make the round more interesting.

Spoiler:
Rohen_Tahir
Byond Username: Rohen Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #589167

FantasticFwoosh wrote:Imagine over-engineering a new system to a problem based behaviorally

A) HOS and Command requires a medium RP response doctrine to spiralling out of control situations, its only appropriate and on lower RP it can be chalked down to a more succinct culling of non-complicance given arrangement and further ass-covering preperations. Once the HOP is (preferably) trialled, stripped of rank and detained the ID's are recalled working down the list records until they're all reset.

B) Repeat offenders need to be discouraged, this ban does nothing because the admins are the same meek-geeks who fail to make a impact on the station because it inflicts as much hurt onto them to knock a HOP out for a dayban and get mad that the player didnt listen to them to continue to do it again. Many security players actually quit because greytiders want to be caught and waste your time catching them in the arbitary timing system. Do something different, drag them off cams and beat them into a inch of their life, swirlie them, generally discourage their lack of a parental figure with a good hiding until they learn that your presence threatens what they do.

(edit: hang on, crossed trains of thought) I literally shot out Greytider Emily's kneecaps until they stopped logging on to grief which was the whole of their character (and they removed kneecap shooting, you cowards).

C) Not a single person denied the AA, and said admin could have just played along to chime in as a brassed off centcomm official to make the round more interesting.
Sec players being le funny police brutality THE LAW every round is at least as cancer as tiders mugging people or stealing AA.
gum disease
Byond Username: GUM DISEASE

Post by gum disease » #589169

don't like aa randomly being handed out because it usually leads to some non-antag ape detonating borgs for the most frivolous shit, and as a villain borg main, it's annoying.

however, if the hop gives out aa to people who've done things to earn it, like get stamps or w/e, i don't care.
i've seen HoPs put out quests in exchange for aa, like gathering all the different types of clown-suit, etc. it's funny to watch.

if someone's repeatedly giving out aa round after round "just because", it does become a problem because it can shit up rounds.
irresponsible conduct like that would probably lead to me issuing them a headban (if they've already been spoken to about it) or something.
i could only see a server ban being issued if they were still giving out aa as a non-antag in spite of the headban.
Image no aim, smooth brain, i'm a borg main.
BONERMASTER

Post by BONERMASTER » #589170

This looks really cool, then these would be almost like passports and you'd check them if all the things are correct, aka Papers please. So you'd have all the information that you need to know, and the ID levels and all that fancy stuff keeps it gamey enough so it doesn't turn into pure bureaucracy. And possibly, you'd have something to do as hop for once.

I do sort of agree with fwoosh that the more fundamental problem is the behavior of the people, they do it because they know they won't get punished for it. But I think what plays a big role in that is, that being funny with access right now only takes 1 click. If the process becomes a bit more involved and you have to spend maybe a minute tuning and trimming the card to get to that access level, and it doesn't even hold space to get clearance for the entire station, it could discourage hops and just make them lazy instead. Chances are, they might not even have enough wrinkles to figure this shit out, end up gravitating to other roles, and then you'd be more likely to have hops that don't take it just to hand out AA to everyone they can see.

TheWiznard
Github User
Byond Username: TheWiznard
Github Username: TheWiznard

Post by TheWiznard » #589172

please don't post ss13 related questions in off topic this is against off topic board rules number 2
BONERMASTER

Post by BONERMASTER » #589174

How about I take my baseball bat and start engaging in a destructive analysis of the underlying rules with you?

Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #589179

as a hop main, just rule zero the people who dont stop doing it all the time after a couple warnings.
hops handing out AA when its not a nuke ops round are literally always dealt with IC
if you dont like it, take AA, implant yourself, make yourself a sec officer and deal with it. that took me all of ten seconds to figure out an IC way of dealing with it.

this is an administration issue not a coding one
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #589184

BONERMASTER wrote:
I do sort of agree with fwoosh that the more fundamental problem is the behavior of the people, they do it because they know they won't get punished for it.
player issues are often design issues in disguise, which
But I think what plays a big role in that is, that being funny with access right now only takes 1 click. If the process becomes a bit more involved and you have to spend maybe a minute tuning and trimming the card to get to that access level, and it doesn't even hold space to get clearance for the entire station, it could discourage hops and just make them lazy instead. Chances are, they might not even have enough wrinkles to figure this shit out, end up gravitating to other roles, and then you'd be more likely to have hops that don't take it just to hand out AA to everyone they can see.
it looks like you agree with ?

chocolate_bickie
Byond Username: Chocolate_bickie

Post by chocolate_bickie » #589186

How will Heads if Staff be able to change the 'trims' of IDs, will they get ID painters for their department only?

What should crew do when AA becomes important, e.g. nuke ops?

What are your thoughts on sechuds showing a 'trim' around job symbols with a gold trim for command access?
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #589188

chocolate_bickie wrote:
How will Heads if Staff be able to change the 'trims' of IDs, will they get ID painters for their department only?

What should crew do when AA becomes important, e.g. nuke ops?

What are your thoughts on sechuds showing a 'trim' around job symbols with a gold trim for command access?
Yes

They should go fuck themselves

No
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #589438

I voted literally nothing
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

TheWiznard
Github User
Byond Username: TheWiznard
Github Username: TheWiznard

Post by TheWiznard » #589587

BONERMASTER wrote:How about I take my baseball bat and start engaging in a destructive analysis of the underlying rules with you?
ok i love baseball
BONERMASTER

Post by BONERMASTER » #589598

TheWiznard wrote:
BONERMASTER wrote:How about I take my baseball bat and start engaging in a destructive analysis of the underlying rules with you?
ok i love baseball
Oh, you're about to! I also brought one of my friends, he wants to say hello:
Spoiler:

cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #589599

*destructive analyses ur bat*
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW: