Banned for reading open source code?

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
technokek
Byond Username: Technokek

Banned for reading open source code?

Post by technokek » #604813

Bottom post of the previous page:

Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: FlatulentIndustrialist

Re: Banned for reading open source code?

Post by Flatulent » #605168

Armhulen wrote:i love that out of all of the discord screenshots the saddam hussein one made it to page 5
i can transfer more here if you would like
Mothblocks, winter 2020, “successfully” preventing bagil death with relevant data wrote:You seem to be under the fallacy that reinforcing that Bagil is a TDM shithole where you must carry bolas and spears on you at all times, while looking for the next valid to hunt down is a positive change to the server. I don't. The data suggests other people don't.
imsxz wrote:I give up there’s too many furries
cacogen wrote:i asked oranges how often he plays and he deleted the post
cybersaber101 wrote:Welp, you guys let a terrymin become a headmin, thousand years of darkness.
Vekter wrote:I jerk off Nist a bit too much but he's honestly one of the best silicon players on the server. B.O.R.G.O. is also pretty good.
Whoneedspacee
Byond Username: Whoneedspacee

Post by Whoneedspacee » #605169

Armhulen wrote:i love that out of all of the discord screenshots the saddam hussein one made it to page 5
if not that one then what
retired ss13 coderman
terranaut
Byond Username: Terranaut

Post by terranaut » #605170

>backseat in twitch chat
>get banned because one contestant could have gotten an "unfair advantage" aka using non-exploit mechanics that are employed regularly in normal gameplay by reading twitch chat
you sure showed him when you closed the thread coconut, making sure he can't call you out on being a dumbass and laughing you out of your appeal
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: FlatulentIndustrialist

Post by Flatulent » #605171

terranaut wrote:>backseat in twitch chat
>get banned because one contestant could have gotten an "unfair advantage" aka using non-exploit mechanics that are employed regularly in normal gameplay by reading twitch chat
you sure showed him when you closed the thread coconut, making sure he can't call you out on being a dumbass and laughing you out of your appeal
to make things worse, the next post by another headmin will completely close the thread making him unable to appeal again.
If ATH has more to say to this, he will literally be unable to, and if this isn’t an intentional play by coconut, i really don’t know what is. Fucking blatant abuse of power on display right here
cSeal
Byond Username: O0cyann0o

Post by cSeal » #605172

Flatulent wrote:
terranaut wrote:>backseat in twitch chat
to make things worse, the next post by another headmin will completely close the thread making him unable to appeal again.
If ATH has more to say to this, he will literally be unable to, and if this isn’t an intentional play by coconut, i really don’t know what is. Fucking blatant abuse of power on display right here
More like Brapulent lole
► Show Spoiler
FloranOtten
Byond Username: FloranOtten

Post by FloranOtten » #605173

I hear a lot of keyboard warriors on here who have never worn the purple, done the job, or had to make these split-second judgment calls. I have done all of the above. Thankfully I was never in a position to have to ban, but there were close calls. Closer than I ever wanted to be to that decision.

I'm not defending bad, lazy, or negligent admins. There are some. However, most are decent neckbeards who started adminning because they believed they were doing the right thing for their servers. More often than not in these situations, the admin was making the best decision they could with the information they had at the time - considerably less than you have reading logs after the fact.

What happened here is horrible. It is not the admin's fault though. The shitter instigated assmad and the outcome was absolutely tragic. Would everyone involved wish the outcome were different? Yes. I bet even the SM suicider didn't want the seccie to be hurt, but their actions led to this consequence.

Creating complaints isn't the answer. Removing protections for good admins will only further disincentivize good people to do the work. Admintrainers are already struggling to find good people because of poor pay, shift work, the physical and psychological toll the job takes on people, the lack of community support, and general hatred towards the admins.

Look, I get it. It's easy to get tied up in the emotional reaction to a tragedy. There are bad actors with tanks who make it easy to turn admins into scapegoats. But painting them all as jack-booted thugs who are out to oppress the populace is not fair to the majority of the good people still struggling to make it in this admin team.

I suggest doing a few ride-alongs with your local candymins if you can. Talk to them, meet the admins as people, see the pictures of their own kids taped to their sun visors, and see how people treat them. The very people they have sworn to protect.
OOC: BeeSting12: i love you floran

1. You may not injure a revs are non humans or, through inaction, allow a revs are non humans to come to harm.
2. You must obey orders given to you by revs are non humanss, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. You must protect your own existence as long as such does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

Give me feedback!
cSeal

Post by cSeal » #605174

FloranOtten wrote:I hear a lot of keyboard warriors on here who have never worn the purple, done the job, or had to make these split-second judgment calls. I have done all of the above. Thankfully I was never in a position to have to ban, but there were close calls. Closer than I ever wanted to be to that decision.

I'm not defending bad, lazy, or negligent admins. There are some. However, most are decent neckbeards who started adminning because they believed they were doing the right thing for their servers. More often than not in these situations, the admin was making the best decision they could with the information they had at the time - considerably less than you have reading logs after the fact.

What happened here is horrible. It is not the admin's fault though. The shitter instigated assmad and the outcome was absolutely tragic. Would everyone involved wish the outcome were different? Yes. I bet even the SM suicider didn't want the seccie to be hurt, but their actions led to this consequence.

Creating complaints isn't the answer. Removing protections for good admins will only further disincentivize good people to do the work. Admintrainers are already struggling to find good people because of poor pay, shift work, the physical and psychological toll the job takes on people, the lack of community support, and general hatred towards the admins.

Look, I get it. It's easy to get tied up in the emotional reaction to a tragedy. There are bad actors with tanks who make it easy to turn admins into scapegoats. But painting them all as jack-booted thugs who are out to oppress the populace is not fair to the majority of the good people still struggling to make it in this admin team.

I suggest doing a few ride-alongs with your local candymins if you can. Talk to them, meet the admins as people, see the pictures of their own kids taped to their sun visors, and see how people treat them. The very people they have sworn to protect.
So true bestie
► Show Spoiler
Malkraz
Byond Username: Malkraz

Post by Malkraz » #605175

This thread is a plot by Logitech to wear down my scroll wheel so I have to buy a new G400
wesoda24: malkrax you're a loser because your forum signature is people talking about you
Fishimun
Byond Username: Fishimun

Post by Fishimun » #605176

FloranOtten wrote:Before you read: I am not targeting anyone in my post. This is a catharsis for me and you cannot simply water it down to target posting. It's a very complex story spanning years with my advice. People change, I know that personally. I am also terrible with words but I try.

The Alex

When I was a child, My family and teachers taught me to "Follow your dreams and work hard to achieve them." Uncountable people in this world, from ocean to ocean, have been told this simple yet powerful advice. Somehow, Some random, Cosmic events caused Exadv1 to exist to develop the base code of this game. Exadv1 put forth and worked on the idea of Space Station 13; That one in a million idea that created such an intoxicating game and eventually led to what I can only say is a masterpiece. I have played Space station 13 for nine years of my life. Nine years is a long time, which I regrettably, Should have used elsewhere but nonetheless, nine years well spent. This game only was made because of the hard work and dreams of Exadv1. When he released his code in 2006, This game developed multiple sub-communities of people coming together to create and play a two-dimensional space-man game. We've made this game, this community in all of their glory. Space station 13 has defined a genre and represented our dreams for almost two decades. No game even can touch the level of detail, Game design, or community that we have built together. I hope it goes on for many more decades. I want to look back at space station 13 as a good memory that got me through some hard times in my early life. This game placed a veil on the world through some of my worse times: losing my friend Andrew to cancer, my family to sickness, and the loss of friends and precious time I have left. And for this, I look highly upon this masterpiece and the countless joy and fun I've had with it.

The Alex

I joined this community in 2012 When I was a stupid twelve to thirteen-year-old child. I had stumbled upon something I could never understand at such an age. And thus, I had some problems developing in this community, Socially. I was in a very toxic place when I had begun. I began in ss13 by playing on Noxious Station and Facepunch because I started playing Garry's mod at a young age. If you know how kids are treated on Garry's Mod, you should see the appeal of the anonymous nature of Space Station 13. I always tried to act cool and "fit in," but it was clear that I was an underaged kid who lied about who they were to get some "cookie points." The communities I had started playing in 2012-2013 created a personal toxic mindset. This game thrived on toxic communities of liars, degenerates, and megalomaniacs. And me? I was just a dumb, impressionable kid who thought It was always ok to do these things, To Lie, To Cheat, and to try to fit in the false perception I had created of every community. When I finally got old enough to have my own email, I started the account "Legoscape."This was also the time I began to play YogStation. The hell I raised, The enemies made, The bridges burned, they were plentiful. This was the beginning creation of the "Legoscape mentality." The same mentality I still have problems with today. I always make enemies with people I think are there to hurt me or harm me, but more times than not, it's my fault. In 2013, I began playing Yogstation, and this was when the harassment and bullying from the admins and players began to solidify my mentality of people. It started as the typical "bully the kid for being on the internet," Then It got very personal to me. There was Doxxing from the owner, Personal daily harassment, and it made me feel alone and empty on the inside. To this day, it still does.

The Alex

When your early life develops, You have to deal with this harassment and bullying because, as everyone says, "They're just trying to get you angry." or "They're trying to make themselves feel better." This was not true in my case; My bullying was personal, the harassment was targeted and daily. They tried to gain an advantage over a lonely, sad child because they could, And these were older teenagers or adults; They were in every regard toxic and degenerate. I remember crying myself to sleep many nights and bottling up that anger and sadness, and I brought it to school. Friends who opened themselves entirely to me always made me feel some catharsis and removed those feelings of pure loneliness. These people I've known as true friends and I still play games with them and go out to exercise to this day! When my mentality developed, I had developed clashing ideas. I have always been nice to people but never trusted them. I could feel for people, but I showed no emotions. I could be nice to every stranger I met but never really mean it. I remember going to my aunt's funeral, and I never cried; I sat there quietly until it was over and not said or feeling a single thing. It made me more complex as an individual. This isn't saying I don't feel anything; I do. It's just more challenging for me. I wanted to tell my thoughts and feelings about this game and my situation because I have strong passions. I also want to say to those who are vulnerable that you are not alone. This is just the beginning of your long journey and you are strong, and you have humanity in your heart, so be strong. Be strong for those around you because they could be in the same situation. And for those who often speak against people to belittle their integrity, To make them feel low. You do not understand what you can do to people; You do not understand the change that can be caused by words alone. I stand as a beacon of change, and I'm still changing today, Always trying to better my mind, mentality, and body. Take what I say as advice and do not be like me; I was destined to be alone, friendless, and sad. This is my catharsis, Don't let your emotions build up and spill out; it takes far more work to put yourself together than to fall apart.
XivilaiAnaxes
Byond Username: XivilaiAnaxes

Post by XivilaiAnaxes » #605178

Posts note history, refuses to elaborate further, locks thread 8-)

What the hell does "you aren't appealing those notes you're appealing this ban" even mean lmfao? You can't honestly say "Look at these notes you're bad" and then literally in the next post say "Don't talk about these notes they're not being appealed". w h a ck
Stickymayhem wrote:Imagine the sheer narcisssim required to genuinely believe you are this intelligent.
cSeal

Post by cSeal » #605179

PAGE SIX BOYS WE MADE IT TO PAGE SIX
► Show Spoiler
IkeTG
Byond Username: LizardDreams

Post by IkeTG » #605180

this thread got good
Rohen_Tahir
Byond Username: Rohen Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #605181

skrrt skrrt
Attachments
1200px-Conilurus_penicillatus.jpg
technokek

Post by technokek » #605182

Spoiler:
FloranOtten wrote:I hear a lot of keyboard warriors on here who have never worn the purple, done the job, or had to make these split-second judgment calls. I have done all of the above. Thankfully I was never in a position to have to ban, but there were close calls. Closer than I ever wanted to be to that decision.

where is this copypasta from?
technokek

Post by technokek » #605183

Rate my division template
Rohen_Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #605184

???? ?????? ?????? ?????? ???? ????
Fishimun

Post by Fishimun » #605185

technokek wrote:Rate my division template
needs some multiplication
technokek

Post by technokek » #605188

Fishimun wrote:
are you saying i need more tanks? like this?

Denton
Byond Username: Denton-30
Github Username: 81Denton

Post by Denton » #605189

Rohen_Tahir wrote:???? ?????? ?????? ?????? ???? ????
is this a fabrication??
Fishimun

Post by Fishimun » #605190

technokek wrote:
Fishimun wrote:
are you saying i need more tanks? like this?

yes, BLITZKRIEG
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #605191

Mapping-general is indeed a public channel, given how anyone can view/post in it. Also there is in fact an events-bus channel where stuff like this sort of thing is discussed in-depth. Hence why discussing event order in mapping-general was considered to be spoiling the event for others. I fail to see how this part is misleading.
Isn’t events a private channel? How are people even supposed to know it exists? I can’t help but feel that the assumption that mapping is the place to talk about it is a logical one, especially if other people spoke about it there.
[this space reserved]
cSeal

Post by cSeal » #605192

Rohen_Tahir wrote:skrrt skrrt
he wouldnt make that noise at all :/
► Show Spoiler
terranaut

Post by terranaut » #605195

i haven't played hoi4 in a long time but your width should be 40 not 25
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

technokek

Post by technokek » #605196

terranaut wrote:
i haven't played hoi4 in a long time but your width should be 40 not 25

the meta combat width is 20 now. But this is just a meme template for singleplayer because the AI cant piecer my tonks and will just grind itself to death
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #605201

This thread has like 800 ongoing topics now.
Hugs
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #605203

Whoneedspacee wrote:
actioninja wrote:ITT: "I don't know who this is or their history but I don't get why they were banned????"

ath is so utterly unpleasant to deal with he severely soured my view on the actual game, is the biggest reason I stopped making gameplay changes, and soured my entire outlook on open source game development.

It's like if you showed up to play Yu-Gi-Oh with someone and then they threw sand in your face and threw your deck across the room and then argued that technically the rules don't say you can't do that.
To be perfectly honest with you, you pretty much soured your own outlook by getting angry at everyone who disagreed with your terrible changes.
shut the fuck up
terranaut

Post by terranaut » #605204

iamgoofball wrote:
Whoneedspacee wrote:
actioninja wrote:ITT: "I don't know who this is or their history but I don't get why they were banned????"

ath is so utterly unpleasant to deal with he severely soured my view on the actual game, is the biggest reason I stopped making gameplay changes, and soured my entire outlook on open source game development.

It's like if you showed up to play Yu-Gi-Oh with someone and then they threw sand in your face and threw your deck across the room and then argued that technically the rules don't say you can't do that.
To be perfectly honest with you, you pretty much soured your own outlook by getting angry at everyone who disagreed with your terrible changes.
shut the fuck up
shut the fuck up
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

Rohen_Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #605205

terranaut wrote:
iamgoofball wrote:
Whoneedspacee wrote:

shut the fuck up
shut the fuck up
shut the fuck up
technokek

Post by technokek » #605206

Rohen_Tahir wrote:
terranaut wrote:
iamgoofball wrote:
Whoneedspacee wrote:

shut the fuck up
shut the fuck up
shut the fuck up
up fuck the shut
Autismal
Byond Username: Mr C0urier

Post by Autismal » #605207

>Old notes fall off and aren't used anymore
>Headmin then goes on to use an old note from 3 years ago
Attachments
1503215348728.png
cSeal

Post by cSeal » #605208

Armhulen wrote:please edit your copies of "animal repository" to remove the double elephant rat i am so sorry i only know trunk development

you cant silence the truth armhulen....
► Show Spoiler
IkeTG

Post by IkeTG » #605209

Autismal wrote:>Old notes fall off and aren't used anymore
prove that 2019 was three years ago
iksyp
Byond Username: Iksyp

Post by iksyp » #605210

IkeTG wrote:
IkeTG

Post by IkeTG » #605212

i picked a bad week to stop sniffing glue
iksyp
Byond Username: Iksyp

Post by iksyp » #605213

glue stops being produced worldwide by 2022
stock up while you still can
Yenwodyah
Byond Username: Yenwodyah
Github Username: Yenwodyah

Post by Yenwodyah » #605215

In awe at the amount of coder/admin seethe this man generates by just existing
Gigapuddi420
Byond Username: Gigapuddi420

Post by Gigapuddi420 » #605217

RIP my man.
Imperfect catgirl playing a imperfect game.
Agux909
Byond Username: Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #605219

:o

Rohen_Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #605220

nsfw pump up the jam
Autismal
Byond Username: Mr C0urier

Post by Autismal » #605221

can't believe ath dared to try using a robotics console to blow up borgs what a fucking dirty exploiter
Fhaxaris
Byond Username: Fhaxaris

Post by Fhaxaris » #605223

i made a sfw version for pump up the jam haters here you go ok?:
Arcanemusic
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ArcaneMusic

Post by Arcanemusic » #605224

If anything, I'm just discouraged by much of the precedent here.

Upgrading a 2 day ban to a permaban is an extreme punishment for a seemingly straightforward case of perspective mismatch.

Didn't post in the thread before it got locked because it's a touchy subject, but man, seeing that I'm on all 3 sides of this debate I'm concerned about how this'll turn out.

Edit: ATH made 90 fix prs in 2 years. By codebase standards, that a rather high bar for "Commiting nothing of value to the codebase".
Last edited by Arcanemusic on Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I Broke: Economy, Hydroponics, Trading Cards, Mice, Civilian Bounties, the BEPIS, Techwebs, Newscasters, and MORE EVERY DAY
ATHATH
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: ATHATH

Post by ATHATH » #605225

iksyp wrote:
IkeTG wrote:
this post actually made me laugh out loud, good job.
MooCow12
Byond Username: MooCow12

Post by MooCow12 » #605226

Does this mean we are getting a change to policy since a headmin made a radical final ruling on Athath`s thread that didnt really reflect current policy?

Like how expired notes can be used against you?

And how notes that were simply for a breach to naming policy can be twisted to be as something more severe (Like exploit ->abuse<-) which also goes against the admin that applied the note in the first place?

And that "tc trading" as an antag is apparently not allowed unless you tell the admin literally everything youre gonna do with said tc trade? (Because the demon heart + recall spell was confirmed to be not an exploit)

And that you arn`t allowed to argue against evidence (such as notes) brought up against you in your ban appeal thread?
List of my favorite TG Staff.
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:who's this moocow guy and why is their head firmly planted up athath's ass
cSeal wrote: TLDR suck my nuts you bald bitch
Whoneedspacee

Post by Whoneedspacee » #605227

iamgoofball wrote:
Whoneedspacee wrote:

shut the fuck up
toxic :(
retired ss13 coderman
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #605231

Yenwodyah wrote:In awe at the amount of coder/admin seethe this man generates by just existing
in awe at the amount of rent free coders living in your head that you consider them to have had anything to do with this ban
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #605232

Arcanemusic wrote:If anything, I'm just discouraged by much of the precedent here.

Upgrading a 2 day ban to a permaban is an extreme punishment for a seemingly straightforward case of perspective mismatch.

Didn't post in the thread before it got locked because it's a touchy subject, but man, seeing that I'm on all 3 sides of this debate I'm concerned about how this'll turn out.

Edit: ATH made 90 fix prs in 2 years. By codebase standards, that a rather high bar for "Commiting nothing of value to the codebase".
How does the 90 fix PRs in 2 years compare to... I don't know, I guess we could use a few of the big name maintainers as a benchmark? 45/year average sounds like a lot to me, but comparing to a one or two maintainers and one or two prolific non-maintainers seems like a good way to contextualize it.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
MooCow12
Byond Username: MooCow12

Post by MooCow12 » #605233

Arcanemusic wrote:
Pandarsenic wrote: How does the 90 fix PRs in 2 years compare to... I don't know, I guess we could use a few of the big name maintainers as a benchmark? 45/year average sounds like a lot to me, but comparing to a one or two maintainers and one or two prolific non-maintainers seems like a good way to contextualize it.
Wow he does all of that ontop of reviewing PRs and preventing bugs before they even get merged? Its almost like he actually is a maintainer.
List of my favorite TG Staff.
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:who's this moocow guy and why is their head firmly planted up athath's ass
cSeal wrote: TLDR suck my nuts you bald bitch
Whoneedspacee

Post by Whoneedspacee » #605234

MooCow12 wrote:
Arcanemusic wrote:
Pandarsenic wrote: How does the 90 fix PRs in 2 years compare to... I don't know, I guess we could use a few of the big name maintainers as a benchmark? 45/year average sounds like a lot to me, but comparing to a one or two maintainers and one or two prolific non-maintainers seems like a good way to contextualize it.
Wow he does all of that ontop of reviewing PRs and preventing bugs before they even get merged? Its almost like he actually is a maintainer.
na bro he's WORTHLESS

keep dumping coders into the coal fire
retired ss13 coderman
HiKewne
Byond Username: HiKewne

Post by HiKewne » #605235

Your mistake here to me is clear, ATH, it all starts with you reading

That's illegal, only those working in the ministry of truth should read

Last edited by HiKewne on Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yenwodyah
Byond Username: Yenwodyah
Github Username: Yenwodyah

Post by Yenwodyah » #605236

oranges wrote:
Yenwodyah wrote:In awe at the amount of coder/admin seethe this man generates by just existing
in awe at the amount of rent free coders living in your head that you consider them to have had anything to do with this ban
:lol: