hos gets banned for executing unarmed black man in brig nut

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
technokek
Byond Username: Technokek

hos gets banned for executing unarmed black man in brig nut

Post by technokek » #609648

Last edited by technokek on Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
terranaut
Byond Username: Terranaut

Re: hos gets banned for executing unarmed black man in brig nut

Post by terranaut » #609649

prisoners attempting escape and armed with stuns/lethals have always been fair game
manuel tier ban
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #609650

I just want to point out how insane it is that Tlal caught that they deathgasped. Does he go through all appeals logs with a finetooth comb? Is it an inner sense that alerts him as to an imbalance in the ban and the appeal? I do not know, but whatever it is it isn't human.
Last edited by sinfulbliss on Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
XivilaiAnaxes
Byond Username: XivilaiAnaxes

Post by XivilaiAnaxes » #609651

Lmfao succumb ahelping

I wonder if mso will pop in for a "fuck you im banning that guy instead"
Stickymayhem wrote:Imagine the sheer narcisssim required to genuinely believe you are this intelligent.
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #609653

is this the second time thunder gets banbaited with a deathgasp? starting to lose count
Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: FlatulentIndustrialist

Post by Flatulent » #609658

james ningle at it again
Mothblocks, winter 2020, “successfully” preventing bagil death with relevant data wrote:You seem to be under the fallacy that reinforcing that Bagil is a TDM shithole where you must carry bolas and spears on you at all times, while looking for the next valid to hunt down is a positive change to the server. I don't. The data suggests other people don't.
imsxz wrote:I give up there’s too many furries
cacogen wrote:i asked oranges how often he plays and he deleted the post
cybersaber101 wrote:Welp, you guys let a terrymin become a headmin, thousand years of darkness.
Vekter wrote:I jerk off Nist a bit too much but he's honestly one of the best silicon players on the server. B.O.R.G.O. is also pretty good.
terranaut
Byond Username: Terranaut

Post by terranaut » #609664

sinfulbliss wrote:I just want to point out how insane it is that Acco caught that they deathgasped. Does he go through all appeals logs with a finetooth comb? Is it an inner sense that alerts him as to an imbalance in the ban and the appeal? I do not know, but whatever it is it isn't human.
you can just ctrl f for it, aka what the jannie should do before throwing a ban
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

joooks
Byond Username: Joooks

Post by joooks » #609665

terranaut wrote:
sinfulbliss wrote:I just want to point out how insane it is that Acco caught that they deathgasped. Does he go through all appeals logs with a finetooth comb? Is it an inner sense that alerts him as to an imbalance in the ban and the appeal? I do not know, but whatever it is it isn't human.
what the fuck is logs i need to get my ban quota
former tgmc admin and tgstation trial admin
who is this guy lol i think hes in timonks signature :lol: :lol:
Malkraz
Byond Username: Malkraz

Post by Malkraz » #609667

even if he didn't deathgasp it's a prisoner running around with a stun baton in brig
didnt we just have an appeal about a guy lasering an assistant with a baton during blob or whatever
wesoda24: malkrax you're a loser because your forum signature is people talking about you
Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #609668

Malkraz wrote:even if he didn't deathgasp it's a prisoner running around with a stun baton in brig
didnt we just have an appeal about a guy lasering an assistant with a baton during blob or whatever

resisting arrest, stealing baton from warden, attempting to baton hos to run out of prison is already acting like antag get threated like one. critting with laser is also a just method to arrest when in a dire situation. even if the OP is underage ban has no grounds
Malkraz

Post by Malkraz » #609669

correct
wesoda24: malkrax you're a loser because your forum signature is people talking about you
technokek
Byond Username: Technokek

Post by technokek » #609672

Last edited by technokek on Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #609673

terranaut wrote:
what people can do and what they do do has a gap that is equivalent in length to the distance between here and the nearest galaxy
as such acco is basically a space explorer in terms of the impossibility of this task
(also hah do-do)
Spoiler:
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #609675

Malkraz wrote:even if he didn't deathgasp it's a prisoner running around with a stun baton in brig
the assistant in that one was wanted, didn't know he was wanted, and had the baton in his bag that the officer didn't know was there until after he opened fire with lethals on sight (ie. the officer instigated and tried to justify it retroactively)

in this instance the guy literally stole the baton directly from the warden right in front of the hos, attacked the warden with it, and tried to flee the brig which is absolutely valid for lighting him up with whatever the fuck the hos has to hand at the time
Malkraz

Post by Malkraz » #609679

Screemonster wrote:(ie. the officer instigated and tried to justify it retroactively)
If a player wrongs you(theft, attacks, etc), you may retaliate. If you choose to retaliate with violence, you in turn have opened yourself up to violence. If you choose this route, do not expect admins to help you out if you die, even if you were not the original instigator.
Screemonster

Post by Screemonster » #609680

Malkraz wrote:
Screemonster wrote:(ie. the officer instigated and tried to justify it retroactively)
If a player wrongs you(theft, attacks, etc), you may retaliate. If you choose to retaliate with violence, you in turn have opened yourself up to violence. If you choose this route, do not expect admins to help you out if you die, even if you were not the original instigator.
just because you shouldn't expect it doesn't mean they're not allowed to and it's fucking irrelevant now anyway

the only connection between the two bans is limited to the existence of a baton and the use of lethals by sec, under entirely different circumstances and entirely different orders of events

"I saw a guy with a W and opened fire on him with lethals and he happened to have a baton in his bag which he pulled out after I opened fire with lethals" is not even remotely the same situation as "this guy pushed over the warden and stole his baton in the brig, attempted to attack me with it and escape arrest, so I opened fire with lethals"
Gigapuddi420
Byond Username: Gigapuddi420

Post by Gigapuddi420 » #609681

ban doesn't look good, I'd understand it more if the assistant escaped without stealing the baton, but as is he was armed and fishing to stun the officer. Arguably the officer should have the tools to non-lethally disable the prisoner but the circumstances allowed the officer to use force to resolve the threat.

Sure, the officer wanted his valid salad and that can be frustrating but I'd have slammed a "IC FUCKING ISSUE" in the ahelping players face for making themselves valid in the first place.
Imperfect catgirl playing a imperfect game.
chocolate_bickie
Byond Username: Chocolate_bickie

Post by chocolate_bickie » #609682

Guys, you need to understand that someone stunning an officer is not a reason to execute them. It dosen't matter why they might do with that baton, it dosen't matter that they were trying to escape perma. All that matters is that they non-lethally detained the warden. The HOS cannot assume harm. You see security has to be played like silicons, you cannot assume harm.

Here's a quite from sec policy; https://tgstation13.org/wiki/Rules

If you are concerned about being "kill baited" then consider calling security, using non lethal means to subdue your opponent, fleeing, or otherwise working things out (talking them down, getting your stolen items replaced, etc)

Admins snuck this little tidbit into the rules a long time ago. Maybe next time consult a lawyer before breaking server rules.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #609683

Wouldn't have been lethal means if the shit chimp didnt suckumb
Gigapuddi420
Byond Username: Gigapuddi420

Post by Gigapuddi420 » #609685

you can light up a assistant trying to stunbaton you with your lethals because it's treated as a lethal threat. This has long been the case.
Imperfect catgirl playing a imperfect game.
Malkraz

Post by Malkraz » #609688

entire thread of tard defenders owned by 1 simple verb
Screemonster

Post by Screemonster » #609690

even if he didn't succumb he was still valid as fuck for trying to fight his way out of brig and stunning the warden with a stolen weapon

even if they didn't know about the antag shit in his bag at the time of putting his ass on the floor, finding the antag shit in his bag is a solid reason to not have to pick his ass up off the floor afterward

"I just critted this guy for valid escalation so I should take him to medbay, oh no new evidence has come to light that paints him as extremely likely to be an antag but my hands are tied because I didn't know about it before and I still have to take him to medbay" said no sane person ever
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #609692

It probably would've been easy to flashbang the dude, but also if you're running around doing that shit you've opened yourself up to whatever

If you then get searched after you die of natural causes deathgasp and you're decked out with antag gamer gear, no shit you don't get revived

like come ON
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #609693

I appreciate that no one in this thread is criticising thunder too hard because this is a really dicey area of edge cases that would be kind of unclear even without the succumb.

Personally, particularly on Terry, I think security can be a little bit more lethal with people being absolute shitters. With the near-death of stun gameplay lethals have unfortunately become a more effective means to reliably put someone down, and critting someone in the brig before healing them back up after they've been subdued is pretty reasonable.

There's an idea I subscribe to that doesn't get a huge amount of traction but it goes like this: You take responsibility for your actions in the grey areas of the rules, even if that involves things out of your control and those things out of your control effect the outcome. Yes it's important not to allow people to kill randomly and then post hoc justify it with a traitor item on their person, but when considering a reading of the situation, a prisoner doing a prison break, stealing a dangerous weapon (stuns are deadly) and using it on the Warden, in a high security area, is antagonistic. I've stolen the armory with less set-up than that, it's a genuine threat.

Here's a neutral example: An assistant stuns the Captain in the hallway as a prank. Technically legal, annoying but not punishable. But if that stuns leads to another antag seizing the opportunity and dragging the captain into maint while eswording him, now that original assistant is responsible. Their behaviour did not change, but the outcome did. This has been true since the days of us counting kills from a singularity to determine a ban length based on the RNG outcome of non-antag stupidity and malice.

The reverse is also true, if someone is acting antagonistically, and then also turns out to be an antagonist, I think that in some ways post hoc justifies the actions of the HoS in this example. They read the room correctly, assessed the threat level correctly and applied the correct amount of force (Enough to crit, not kill). Yes there are too many security officers that are absolute shitters, but there are also a lot of non-antag shitters that make it harder to make these decisions correctly because of the amount of 'noise' generated by non-antag antagonistic behaviours being normalised on a server.

I think there's an interesting nuanced discussion to be had here, and I'd love something in the rules to reflect this idea, because it feels like the rule is mostly an unwritten application of the way we moderate the game.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #609695

>have emag and hand tele in bag as not antag
>get arrested
>hos is going to strip my bag in brig cell
>press adminwho and find out thunder the admin who doesnt read logs is here
>instead of trying to justify why you have all this shit shove warden and try attack hos with baton
>get critted and succumb by death whispering retard
>ahelp saying you got executed 4nr
>admin bans and double dips with "you should have defibbed him before searching his bag" despite rule 4's act like an antag get threated as one exists
Fishimun
Byond Username: Fishimun

Post by Fishimun » #609696

joooks wrote:
terranaut wrote:
MODS!!! ban jooks
Malkraz

Post by Malkraz » #609697

After Fred Best summarily executed and round-removed 5 Assistants for running around in brig for laughs at roundstart and didn't get so much as a note nobody is allowed to punish for merc'ing a motherfucker acting up in red zone anymore.
chocolate_bickie
Byond Username: Chocolate_bickie

Post by chocolate_bickie » #609698

Malkraz wrote:After Fred Best summarily executed and round-removed 5 Assistants for running around in brig for laughs at roundstart and didn't get so much as a note nobody is allowed to punish for merc'ing a motherfucker acting up in red zone anymore.
While not specific to this appeal, you make a good point that players generally have reduced escalation requirements within their own departments against people from outside their departments.

I think perhaps current admin policy hasn't caught up to the fact that most deaths are generally preceded by a stun or knockdown of some kind.
Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #609699

Stickymayhem wrote:there are also a lot of non-antag shitters that make it harder to make these decisions correctly because of the amount of 'noise' generated by non-antag antagonistic behaviours being normalised on a server.

I think there's an interesting nuanced discussion to be had here, and I'd love something in the rules to reflect this idea, because it feels like the rule is mostly an unwritten application of the way we moderate the game.
I really do think the "Act like an antag, get treated like an antag" rule should cover most of this

Add in a touch of "protest-succumb is equivalent to suiciding or ghosting" (as differentiated from succumbing to whisper "I need antitoxins" to someone who is giving you incorrect medical care, etc.) - which could stand to become a formal policy rather than an unwritten rule, maybe?

But like... if ya try to break out of the brig, stun the warden and steal his baton, then get caught with traitor items and objectives when you're robusted for doing this, what's sec supposed to think? The succumb doesn't even need to factor in. This is just one of those risks you take when you combine two kinds of gamer gear in your backpack.
capn_monkeypaw
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Phuzzylodgik

Post by capn_monkeypaw » #609702

Fishimun wrote:
joooks wrote:
terranaut wrote:
MODS!!! ban jooks
Too late.
Kangtut
Byond Username: KangTut

Post by Kangtut » #609704

Malkraz wrote:After Fred Best summarily executed and round-removed 5 Assistants for running around in brig for laughs at roundstart and didn't get so much as a note nobody is allowed to punish for merc'ing a motherfucker acting up in red zone anymore.
This is a holocaust for you isn't it? The number of dead assistants keeps going up and soon you'll start telling people I turned them into soap and how your best friend is now a lamp on my desk.
Malkraz

Post by Malkraz » #609705

oy gevalt
Autismal
Byond Username: Mr C0urier

Post by Autismal » #609707

*deathgasp
Jonathan Gupta
Byond Username: BallastMonsterGnarGnar

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #609710

deathgasp tier epicness, always deathgasp in crit.
Living God

Extraordinary Person

Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #609715

the correct response in this situation, as any good captain knows, would have been to

>shoot until dead or disabled
>handcuff
>straightjacket
>muffle
>earmuffs
>revive
>gulag
Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #609716

the correct response from the one that was lethaled:

>push and baton warden to assert your superiority in robustness, reminding him that he is a failure of a warden and strive to do better, be better
>throw baton at HOS's feet
>lay down and await further punishment
BONERMASTER
Byond Username: BONERMASTER

Post by BONERMASTER » #609723

From the TG Station wiki, Space Law (https://tgstation13.org/wiki/Space_Law):

Use of Deadly Force
[...]Additionally, in the event of an attempted prison break, Security may fire lasers through the glass. They are expected to first fire a few warning shots before unloading their weapon into the target.

So that to me would suggest, that breaking out of prison warrants the use of lethal force. Regarding the person in that appeal however, there is no dispute that they were acting in a life-threatening manner that would have permitted the use of lethal force, regardless of the circumstance. Though it has to be said, that if the warden did not show complete incompetence by not only refusing to check the belongings of the person under arrest, but also placing them in the cell with their entire assortment of deadly weapons and utility tools still equipped AND not putting any handcuffs on them, none of this complete and uttery travesty would have taken place. The warden would have been more justified to be the target of this ban, even if for entirely different reasons.

With warm regards
-BONERMASTER
SIGNATURE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

*YOUR ADVERTISEMENT COULD BE HERE* - Contact BONERMASTER & Associates for further information
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #609724

thats tlal not tjat
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
Anuv
Byond Username: Anuv

Post by Anuv » #609727

If you *deathgasp you should not be able to ahelp for the rest of the round period. Make it an exclusive function.
Agux909
Byond Username: Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #609731

Anuv wrote:If you *deathgasp you should not be able to ahelp for the rest of the round period. Make it an exclusive function.

Screemonster

Post by Screemonster » #609836

Anuv wrote:If you *deathgasp you should not be able to ahelp for the rest of the round period. Make it an exclusive function.
or add a big obvious notification to all their PMs from that point on

Request for help from some_tiding_dipshit (Succumbed): hey security just killed me for no reason
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #609863

>Get arrested
>Warden forgets to search you for your connies that will get you killed if he finds them
>Attack him, stun him, try to stun a passing sec officer
>Manually Succumb at -56 damage after being shot by said sec officer
>Ahelp
>get the sec officer banned

classic androidincrew
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #609870

Screemonster wrote:
or add a big obvious notification to all their PMs from that point on

Request for help from some_tiding_dipshit (Succumbed): hey security just killed me for no reason
That would be especially good if you could tap the "Succumbed" alert to see what they said with their deathgasp, if anything.