The coders are always fucking things up.

Talk about non-ss13 stuff here.
Anuv
Byond Username: Anuv

The coders are always fucking things up.

Post by Anuv » #609728

Why? It just keeps happening. I don't understand it. Why must we suffer?
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Re: The coders are always fucking things up.

Post by PKPenguin321 » #609729

SS13 is (ironically) a very non-traditional game with intentionally backwards design in a lot of areas, because the mechanics play into the interest of a grander story than actual fun gameplay. This can be a hard concept to grasp and goes directly counter to a lot of what you might learn at a school for game design. It's very easy to point to a mechanic like old slips, say "hey isn't that a bit strong, it should be removed for being too strong," and remove it, without ever considering all the fucking awesome stories that came from something as simple as a clown slipping the nuke ops to clinch a victory or whatever. As a result, you have a more balanced, significantly less interesting game.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Agux909
Byond Username: Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #609730

They feed from our suffering. It's their motivation when they sit down and start mashing the keyboard, drooling, eyes looking inwards.

Gigapuddi420
Byond Username: Gigapuddi420

Post by Gigapuddi420 » #609745

PKPenguin321 wrote:It's very easy to point to a mechanic like old slips, say "hey isn't that a bit strong, it should be removed for being too strong," and remove it, without ever considering all the fucking awesome stories that came from something as simple as a clown slipping the nuke ops to clinch a victory or whatever. As a result, you have a more balanced, significantly less interesting game.
Pretty much my opinion on disarms. There was a unpopular argument that disarms being random chance helped even the playing field between those with skill and those without; you could never completely discount the chance of someone landing that lucky first try disarm and turning the tables on you. It's also why a lot of people hated it. Mechanically disarms were kind of shit but I always felt great getting a disarm on someone in a pinch.
Imperfect catgirl playing a imperfect game.
terranaut
Byond Username: Terranaut

Post by terranaut » #609749

there is hope yet
hail to the king baby
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #609750

Gigapuddi420 wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:It's very easy to point to a mechanic like old slips, say "hey isn't that a bit strong, it should be removed for being too strong," and remove it, without ever considering all the fucking awesome stories that came from something as simple as a clown slipping the nuke ops to clinch a victory or whatever. As a result, you have a more balanced, significantly less interesting game.
Pretty much my opinion on disarms. There was a unpopular argument that disarms being random chance helped even the playing field between those with skill and those without; you could never completely discount the chance of someone landing that lucky first try disarm and turning the tables on you. It's also why a lot of people hated it. Mechanically disarms were kind of shit but I always felt great getting a disarm on someone in a pinch.
you can still get this exact same story from just a punch though. 2 nights ago i saw a singular cultist trying to convert so i punched him once and got dropped which led to his death a few seconds after it was hilarious
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #609757

What happened why are there two coder hate threads
► Show Spoiler
Timonk
Byond Username: Timonk

Post by Timonk » #609762

Don't let this drop
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
In short, this appeal is denied. Suck my nuts retard.
Quoting a legend, at least im not a faggot lol
See you in 12 months unless you blacklist me for this
Timberpoes wrote: I'm going to admin timonk [...]. Fuck it, he's also now my second host vote if goof rejects.
pikeyeskey13 wrote: ok don't forget to shove it up your ass lmao oops u can delete this one I just wanted to make sure it went through
Agux909 wrote:
Timonk wrote:This is why we make fun of Manuel
Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.

The hut has perished at my hands.

The pink arrow is always right.
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #609790

terranaut wrote:Image

there is hope yet
hail to the king baby
I can definitely say, from my long absence, that nearly everything except CQC and the like feels INCREDIBLY weak compared to 2014 tg.

Nobody liked StunStation 13, but in CURRENT YEAR, even being crit doesn't necessarily full-stun you.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #609796

i like that in soft crit you can at least call someone a cringe
Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #609798

Being able to yell at unrobust doctors who are treating the wrong kind of damage after taking you away from an assistant who was fixing the right kind is, in fact, a true blessing.
terranaut

Post by terranaut » #609814

Pandarsenic wrote:
terranaut wrote:Image

there is hope yet
hail to the king baby
I can definitely say, from my long absence, that nearly everything except CQC and the like feels INCREDIBLY weak compared to 2014 tg.

Nobody liked StunStation 13, but in CURRENT YEAR, even being crit doesn't necessarily full-stun you.
Move away from this line of thinking where fair combat is at the top of the priority list. Go back to thinking about what makes you scared in this game. When I last actively played (a year ago?) the only thing I was worried about was not getting my preferred role after making the time to play, but backinmyday:tm: my worries were some guy trying to shuffle up to me and getting within contact range resulting in my death through parasting and having my DNA slurped. The result? You were constantly trying to play around being near people and interacting with them, but with the caveat of having to decide on a per-round basis who was more trustworthy than the others, so when the Singulo got loose or someone bombed Medbay, you'd have to pick someone for safety, and it had better be the right guy. THAT is my jam, I don't give a shit about geting completely owned by a one click 20 second stun+mute if I make the wrong decision.
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #609821

PKPenguin321 wrote:As a result, you have a more balanced, significantly less interesting game.
100% agree, balance =! better.
Balance/nerf/removal is only needed when some specific feature/mechanic breaks the game over and over again. It isn't needed when something is quite rare.

A good example is the gatfruit removal. It was pretty much never an issue - maybe once every 50-100 rounds it would result in everyone having 357s. But because it was able to unbalance the game, it was removed. Nevermind that it was not actually an issue, nevermind that people enjoy the game getting chaotic and broken every so often... It was simply removed for balance purposes.

If you end up balancing everything perfectly you end up with a very fair yet very boring game. It's good to have jank, so long as the jank isn't the same jank every single round.
Spoiler:
actioninja
Byond Username: Actioninja

Post by actioninja » #609824

Shadowflame909 wrote:What happened why are there two coder hate threads
mso had his annual mso moment and then when he got told off for being a baby he declared himself headcoder.

now all the people who haven't played the game in a year or more are coming out of the woodwork with no context to say mso based because he did something that pissed off coders
terranaut

Post by terranaut » #609831

maybe there's a reason those people haven't played in a while but welcome the possibility of some change :slight_smile:
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

Rohen_Tahir
Byond Username: Rohen Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #609862

sinfulbliss wrote: A good example is the gatfruit removal. It was pretty much never an issue - maybe once every 50-100 rounds it would result in everyone having 357s. But because it was able to unbalance the game, it was removed. Nevermind that it was not actually an issue, nevermind that people enjoy the game getting chaotic and broken every so often... It was simply removed for balance purposes.
Except that never happened lol
https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/60484
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #609865

actioninja wrote:
mso had his annual mso moment and then when he got told off for being a baby he declared himself headcoder.

now all the people who haven't played the game in a year or more are coming out of the woodwork with no context to say mso based because he did something that pissed off coders
Hello, speaking as the representative of a server full of old player refugees who have the entire context from logs, several people still unbanned reading the ensuing molding in coder chat and Denton himself, the opinion from everyone is 90% “get fucked coders” and 10% “both sides are dumb but coders are worse”.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Kryson
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Kryson

Post by Kryson » #609871

The game has never been better.

Most of the features bitter burnouts cry about being excised were cancerous and made the game worse.
Fikou
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Fikou
Github Username: Fikou

Post by Fikou » #609878

ShadowDimentio wrote:
actioninja wrote:

Hello, speaking as the representative of a server full of old player refugees who have the entire context from logs, several people still unbanned reading the ensuing molding in coder chat and Denton himself, the opinion from everyone is 90% “get fucked coders” and 10% “both sides are dumb but coders are worse”.
copium
terranaut

Post by terranaut » #609879

Kryson wrote:The game has never been better.

Most of the features bitter burnouts cry about being excised were cancerous and made the game worse.
does the new ui still randomly crash and force you to restart the game? it did about 3 years ago at least
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Post by MMMiracles » #609880

people asking for oldtg balance when things like welderbomb gibbing and ranged parasting existed

please no
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #609881

terranaut wrote:

does the new ui still randomly crash and force you to restart the game? it did about 3 years ago at least
Yes

It also, every few rounds, does a thing where the visuals all stop updating until you restart the client
Agux909
Byond Username: Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #609885

Correction.

*The game has seen better times

*Most of the features enjoyers cry about being excised were disliked by some coders/maintainers because they made their own idea of the game worse.

There. Everybody knows how it's just a case of flexing your independence just because you can and non-coders can't stop you. No need to be sugar-coating it any other way.

ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #609888

Headlines: Coder certain they’ve made the right design choices, dismisses complaints about removals as them being “cancerous”.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #609923

my question is how many people involved in this actually play the fucking game
Timonk

Post by Timonk » #609944

joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
Timberpoes wrote: I'm going to admin timonk [...]. Fuck it, he's also now my second host vote if goof rejects.
pikeyeskey13 wrote: ok don't forget to shove it up your ass lmao oops u can delete this one I just wanted to make sure it went through
Agux909 wrote:
Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.

Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #609945

?‍♀️
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.

Timonk

Post by Timonk » #609956

prove it
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
Agux909 wrote:

Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #609959

My byond username is in that little panel on the left, you can use Scrubby to check it out :D

cybersaber101
Byond Username: Cybersaber101

Post by cybersaber101 » #609965

The forum gremlins have smelled drama and stir once more.
The same poster, over and over and over and over and over and-
Rohen_Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #609967

Everyone above me is an absolute plonker
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #609970

I feel like I should clarify that I posted in this thread before knowing a single thing about the MSO/coderbus memery that's going on. I definitely don't hate coders and I still like SS13, but I disagree with the overall direction that the game has taken in the last two years. Personally I still think hard stun removal was one of the worst changes in this sense.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #609986

PKPenguin321 wrote:I feel like I should clarify that I posted in this thread before knowing a single thing about the MSO/coderbus memery that's going on. I definitely don't hate coders and I still like SS13, but I disagree with the overall direction that the game has taken in the last two years. Personally I still think hard stun removal was one of the worst changes in this sense.
Agree. Everything and everyone is miserably weak now, because not that the great balancer that was stuns is gone now the coders are relentlessly filing down every single sharp edge on the station until everyone’s fighting with padded toys.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
Timonk

Post by Timonk » #609991

Jaredfogle wrote:My byond username is in that little panel on the left, you can use Scrubby to check it out :D
observing doesnt count
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
Agux909 wrote:

Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: FlatulentIndustrialist

Post by Flatulent » #609992

fuck you timonk stop discriminating
Mothblocks, winter 2020, “successfully” preventing bagil death with relevant data wrote:You seem to be under the fallacy that reinforcing that Bagil is a TDM shithole where you must carry bolas and spears on you at all times, while looking for the next valid to hunt down is a positive change to the server. I don't. The data suggests other people don't.
imsxz wrote:I give up there’s too many furries
cacogen wrote:i asked oranges how often he plays and he deleted the post
cybersaber101 wrote:Welp, you guys let a terrymin become a headmin, thousand years of darkness.
Vekter wrote:I jerk off Nist a bit too much but he's honestly one of the best silicon players on the server. B.O.R.G.O. is also pretty good.
Rohesie
Byond Username: Rohesie

Post by Rohesie » #610001

Agux909 wrote:They feed from our suffering. It's their motivation when they sit down and start mashing the keyboard, drooling, eyes looking inwards.
This is true, I can confirm.
But can you blame us? It's the only joy we have in life.
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Post by TheFinalPotato » #610003

Everything is suffering. Only pain remains
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?
terranaut

Post by terranaut » #610006

Rohesie wrote:
Agux909 wrote:They feed from our suffering. It's their motivation when they sit down and start mashing the keyboard, drooling, eyes looking inwards.
i always thought you were more of a masochist than a sadist
is this what working with oranges does to you?
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

Rohesie

Post by Rohesie » #610008

terranaut wrote:
Rohesie wrote:
I'd quit if that were the case, because working with oranges has been pretty good so far. I'd be sad to see him go.
Anuv
Byond Username: Anuv

Post by Anuv » #610010

Kendrickorium wrote:my question is how many people involved in this actually play the fucking game
Game?
Timonk

Post by Timonk » #610024

Rohesie wrote:
terranaut wrote:
Rohesie wrote:
I'd quit if that were the case, because working with oranges has been pretty good so far. I'd be sad to see him go.
You're joking right? Every second interaction with the tangerine consists of a mix of fuck you and do it yourself

Yea it would be sad to see him go
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
Agux909 wrote:

Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #610031

Timonk wrote: observing doesnt count

Psssst

Psssssssssst

Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #610037

timonk you need to learn how to get unbanned before you can get unbanned by oranges
Timonk

Post by Timonk » #610047

And you need to learn to uhhh
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
Agux909 wrote:

Kylerace
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: KylerAce

Post by Kylerace » #610104

Timonk wrote:And you need to learn to uhhh
GOOD point
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #610109

Rohen_Tahir wrote:
sinfulbliss wrote: A good example is the gatfruit removal. It was pretty much never an issue - maybe once every 50-100 rounds it would result in everyone having 357s. But because it was able to unbalance the game, it was removed. Nevermind that it was not actually an issue, nevermind that people enjoy the game getting chaotic and broken every so often... It was simply removed for balance purposes.
The sentiment still stands, and I don't believe the PR was closed because coders thought "gatfruit good."
But take any other example you like (thunderdome armor nerf for instance).
Spoiler:
Rohesie

Post by Rohesie » #610123

sinfulbliss wrote:
Rohen_Tahir wrote:
The sentiment still stands, and I don't believe the PR was closed because coders thought "gatfruit good."
But take any other example you like (thunderdome armor nerf for instance).
Why do you think it was closed then?
Mothblocks and Potato said they like gatfruit as they think it's funny.
Cobby said he didn't want the removal either, and suggested it to be a little bit harder to get if anything if a nerf was needed.
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #610162

i just imagined a world where that pr was merged and now I'm REALLY mad. wtf coders

Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #610165

sinfulbliss wrote:
Rohen_Tahir wrote:
What the fuck are you even saying here

"It was awful that X happened"
"X didn't happen"
"I guess, but it's awful that X could have happened even though it didn't"

What is your thesis here exactly
Rohen_Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #610166

FUCK YOU CDOERS YOU WILL REMOVE CLOWN IN 2023 IN THE TIMELINE DESIGNATED AS FF8C1A.