Athath gets Permabanned, Redux

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
Omega_DarkPotato
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Omega_DarkPotato

Athath gets Permabanned, Redux

Post by Omega_DarkPotato » #610958

https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 23&t=29696

Local man gets permabanned for submitting an "exploiting" circuit during a talent show to show it off to people
aren't talent shows meant to show off cool shit ffs

anyway, alphonzo comes in and shoots him twice in the chest and claims the job's done while everyone else looks around like they don't know what the fuck just happened

Editing to provide context for alphonzo's response before peanut gallery does what it does best (not reading the linked thread):
he removed the permaban and edited the note, claiming it was to simply kick him off the server so that he wouldn't show off the exploit or something
once again because of ath's famous 2 year old note about lagging the server for santa claus to come down during christmas

the ban itself is a bit more reasonable at least, and it's gone now anyway
all that's left is the admin complaint part
Super Aggro Crag wrote:This is what u get when u let people into your community
play opus: echo of starsong
I'm an admin, typically on /tg/station Sybil. If you've got anything you'd like to say about me, my adminning, or my decisions, please comment in my admin feedback thread!
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Re: Athath gets Permabanned, Redux

Post by wesoda25 » #610966

Poor athath, that’s pretty shitty. I agree with the complaint.
[this space reserved]
Agux909
Byond Username: Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #610968

Revert to trialmin tbh.

I'm not sympathetic to Athath though. He doesn't have a good record and keeps insisting with the whole exploit bs. Like... close that chapter of your life and move on dude.

Anuv
Byond Username: Anuv

Post by Anuv » #610972

I'm literally the smartest person alive.
terranaut
Byond Username: Terranaut

Post by terranaut » #610974

>alphonzo
lol
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #610977

Also once again agree with sticky, I thought this was rule of fun 100%. Like, it’s a talent show in a videogame, so niche knowledge is a safe expectation, and the dude was going to do a literal disappearing act! I get shutting it down, but honestly the depiction of “showcasing an exploit to dozens of players” or whatever wording people used just takes me aback, it’s totally a misrepresentation.
[this space reserved]
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #610983

wesoda25 wrote:Also once again agree with sticky,
i hope you live somewhere with free mental health facilities to get out of this precipitious decline in cognitive function
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Omega_DarkPotato
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Omega_DarkPotato

Post by Omega_DarkPotato » #610986

I hate it when I agree with sticky it makes me feel really cold and reminds me of when I'm donating blood
I think agreeing with him literally sucks the life out of you
Super Aggro Crag wrote:This is what u get when u let people into your community
play opus: echo of starsong
I'm an admin, typically on /tg/station Sybil. If you've got anything you'd like to say about me, my adminning, or my decisions, please comment in my admin feedback thread!
Swept
Byond Username: Swept

Post by Swept » #610995

I think Athath has some sort of mental issues.
DON'T PLAY SPACE STATION 14
Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: FlatulentIndustrialist

Post by Flatulent » #610996

Anuv wrote:Image

I'm literally the smartest person alive.
except nobody is shitting on ath who did literally nothing wrong this time
Mothblocks, winter 2020, “successfully” preventing bagil death with relevant data wrote:You seem to be under the fallacy that reinforcing that Bagil is a TDM shithole where you must carry bolas and spears on you at all times, while looking for the next valid to hunt down is a positive change to the server. I don't. The data suggests other people don't.
imsxz wrote:I give up there’s too many furries
cacogen wrote:i asked oranges how often he plays and he deleted the post
cybersaber101 wrote:Welp, you guys let a terrymin become a headmin, thousand years of darkness.
Vekter wrote:I jerk off Nist a bit too much but he's honestly one of the best silicon players on the server. B.O.R.G.O. is also pretty good.
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #611004

wesoda25 wrote:Also once again agree with sticky, I thought this was rule of fun 100%. Like, it’s a talent show in a videogame, so niche knowledge is a safe expectation, and the dude was going to do a literal disappearing act! I get shutting it down, but honestly the depiction of “showcasing an exploit to dozens of players” or whatever wording people used just takes me aback, it’s totally a misrepresentation.
I can't agree with you here, so I'm curious as to your thoughts on mine: there's "doing a disappearing act", which would've been fine (though a tad eye-rolly WRT doing it through an exploit), and then there's what ATH was planning on doing which was explaining step by step how to perform the exploit itself--and that appeared to be the end of it.

I think there's plenty of ways ATH could've spun it to be less iffy than it was. Someone suggested that he could've had people come up to fight him on stage, then he uses it to go invisible--that would've been cool.

ATH also had an entire BCI planned that used admin procs to change the participant into himself, as well as speak all the lines. It was super cool, and I honestly think he should've dived into that specifically and just made some wacko circuit that used a bunch of admin procs.
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #611006

alien pointing up at the above post, indicating my agreement and approval. ath almost did a billion cool things but didn't
Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #611007

Can't believe I agree with the devil who removed my favourite feature from Science.

ATH seems to have a weird obsession with the wrong type of attention and can't help it.

TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Post by TheFinalPotato » #611010

He's got the guts to do cool shit, but it's clear the admins are pissed off about exploits. should do cool stuff that isn't exploting code, assuming that's something he's interested in.

I don't want him to be banned, but I don't think that's exactly a common sentiment.
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?
wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #611014

Re- blocks and arm

Yeah after seeing the sc arm posted (which I suppose was obtained through a rehearsal?) I take back what I said. I sort of expected ath would do this in like, an actual cool form of presentation, not just literally listing every step.

Still think alphonzo was completely out of line though. Banning someone for something they didn’t do has got to be one if the most BS things I’ve ever seen, especially when he could have just waited for the person who actually knew the situation to come back online.
[this space reserved]
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #611020

Amazing there's still a death warrant out for ATHATH.

His bug was turning invisible for extra long with saturnx and a stasis bed right? What is the harm in showcasing that on the talent show? Especially since it was approved beforehand by the admin. This obsession with keeping bugs secret to the point of considering banning someone for sharing one just sounds insane to me. People exploit bugs all the time to give themselves an advantage in-game. If it's bad enough the bug is then patched. Administrative action never factors in unless the bug actually just breaks the game for everybody (i.e. crashing the server or lagging it).

Something tells me if this was anyone but ATHATH it wouldn't have even been on the table of discussion for a ban.
Spoiler:
HiKewne
Byond Username: HiKewne

Post by HiKewne » #611022

Local autist gets banned from talent show for doing the best presentation
Danny Delete-O
Byond Username: Danny Delete-O

Post by Danny Delete-O » #611023

Hey i dunno about you but the rules kinda say dont use exploits in em.
Lone antagonists can do whatever they want.
Short of metagaming/comms, bug/exploit abuse, erotic/creepy stuff, OOC in IC or IC in OOC, and spawn-camping arrivals. Team antagonists can do whatever they want as per lone antagonists, as long as it doesn’t harm their team. Non-antagonists can do whatever they want to antagonists as per lone antagonists, but non-antagonists are not allowed to pre-emptively search for, hinder or otherwise seek conflict with antagonists without reasonable prior cause. Non-antags acting like an antag can be treated as an antag.
Link here for people who dont know the rules i guess. https://tgstation13.org/wiki/Rules#Main ... thing_else
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #611025

Danny Delete-O wrote:Hey i dunno about you but the rules kinda say dont use exploits in em.
Short of metagaming/comms, bug/exploit abuse, erotic/creepy stuff, OOC in IC or IC in OOC, and spawn-camping arrivals. Team antagonists can do whatever they want as per lone antagonists, as long as it doesn’t harm their team. Non-antagonists can do whatever they want to antagonists as per lone antagonists, but non-antagonists are not allowed to pre-emptively search for, hinder or otherwise seek conflict with antagonists without reasonable prior cause. Non-antags acting like an antag can be treated as an antag.
Link here for people who dont know the rules i guess. https://tgstation13.org/wiki/Rules#Main ... thing_else
Back when washing machines changed the identity of items, I would wash sec jumpsuits to make them appear as normal jumpsuits while retaining the armor level.
That's technically a bug. But is it "abuse"?

It seems to me that rule is there to give admins a precedent to ban someone for game-ruining bugs and exploits. Again, showing an invisibility hack with saturnx doesn't seem to be game-ruining, especially since it wouldn't have been used in a game to incur an advantage but in a talent show to show off. If someone then took that bug, and abused it in-game, I guess maybe then you would have a case of "bug abuse," but I'd be curious whether even that situation would be bwoinked for.
Spoiler:
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #611026

People exploit bugs all the time to give themselves an advantage in-game.
???????????
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.

TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Post by TheFinalPotato » #611028

sinfulbliss wrote:Amazing there's still a death warrant out for ATHATH.
Something tells me if this was anyone but ATHATH it wouldn't have even been on the table of discussion for a ban.
Yes. No shit. They're more mad at him because he just keeps doing this class of thing, which is why there's admins/me in here saying that he should stop/redirect his goals. Jannies have this association between ath and exploits, and if he keeps doing them he's just fucking fishing for a ban. Like, you get banned for sharing exploits about an event right before it started, get unbanned because jesus it was a perma, and then submit a talent show event that's just an exploit explanation.

Banning him for that it is stupid, especially because he told sacko what it was. It's not his fault at that point, not sacko's either really mind, guy's based. But like, you get why these people even considered it right?
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?
technokek
Byond Username: Technokek

Post by technokek » #611030

Last edited by technokek on Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Malkraz
Byond Username: Malkraz

Post by Malkraz » #611032

I can't stop laughing at Morto saying
I pinged Mothblocks on discord to ask what happened
and then it's just a picture of Morto pinging Mothblocks "what happened?" and nothing else
wesoda24: malkrax you're a loser because your forum signature is people talking about you
Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #611033

technokek wrote:
Danny Delete-O wrote:Hey i dunno about you but the rules kinda say dont use exploits in em.
lol, a admin specifically told him its fine to do this.
Yah and they're a newish admin. The point is that Athath keeps wanting to do what he knows pisses the admins and coders off, and that's his own decision.

Imagine being suprised when they react to the continued taunting. Athath being permad was stupid but he should just stop sowing what he doesn't want to reap and maybe invest that time and effort in more productive/less drama-stirring stuff instead?

Like, he already got the reputation built so there's nothing to do about it, he can't just make-believe that it's not there.

However, this thread is also about Alphonzo flexing their admin powers to take a decision by themselves when they weren't involved at all with anything from the start, so give your two cents about that specific piece of work too.
Last edited by Agux909 on Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #611034

I aint abused a bug since the donkpocket omnizine exploit :flex: :smug_smirk:

CHAMPS STAY WINNING!!
[this space reserved]
wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #611035

sinfulbliss wrote: Back when washing machines changed the identity of items, I would wash sec jumpsuits to make them appear as normal jumpsuits while retaining the armor level.
btw you are going to hell for this
[this space reserved]
Sacko
Byond Username: Sacko

Post by Sacko » #611036

I really really wished athath could have performed. It would have been a show stopping performance. But sadly what's best for the server came ahead of what was best for the talent show. I just was focused on creating the biggest spectacle I could, paying no attention to the consequences. Athath and I are similar in that regard where we just want to do the most amazing shit possible and worry about the mess it will create later. I'm glad he was unbanned that guy is great but also the biggest headache around. Love him to bits. In this specific instance his hands are squeaky clean. Funny.
Last edited by Sacko on Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
From the Great State of Wisconsin. Visit Madison, WI this summer!!! Go to the capitol, and Olbrich Gardens, and the arboretum, and the Chazen art museum, and historical camp Randall stadium. For nice.
Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #611037

You did good Sacko.

Malkraz

Post by Malkraz » #611039

if ur so embarrassed about exploits just fix them lol
wesoda24: malkrax you're a loser because your forum signature is people talking about you
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #611040

TheFinalPotato wrote:and then submit a talent show event that's just an exploit explanation.
[...]But like, you get why these people even considered it right?
Bugs bad, ATHATH has bad history with bugs, event with ATHATH showing a bug? *red sirens go off*
Yeah I get that's what happened. But really the discussion should have began and ended at "oh yeah the event runner cleared that." Which, to be fair, it kinda did aside from a misplaced perma.

I dunno I guess I'm just confused on what is and what isn't bannable bug abuse. The bug I mentioned obviously would never be even glanced at by an admin. If someone did that saturnx bug in-game would they get a bwoink? If not, would they get bwoinked for telling their friends about it on Discord or something? I just fail to see the rulebreak that got it considered. It seemed more to me like ATHATH just being near the word "bug" and triggering a lot of people. But it ain't a big deal until it actually affects something negatively.

Wait for the negative impact and then get up in arms... But TBH I doubt there will be a negative impact. ATHATH is more careful than he is given credit for in how he uses his exploit knowledge. If you trace back all his offenses the only one that really had a negative impact was the "holding the server hostage" note from like a year ago or something. His leaking of exploits about Citrus's event on Twitch chat had next to no impact on the event itself aside from the sour taste it left in people's mouths due to all the drama it got on the forums after.
Spoiler:
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #611045

Sacko wrote:Due to some key aspects of this complaint taking place in #adminbus, an on-topic channel for discussion of administrative issues, I will post some images from there to explain each point. I will censor the affected player name since this information is not public yet.
MrAlphonzo, almost exactly 60 minutes later wrote:ATHATH
I have no horse in the race, but you'd also think the admins would realize that every bad Rule 0 ban attempt on ATHATH makes it harder for any perma, justified or not, to stick.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #611046

Malkraz wrote:I can't stop laughing at Morto saying
and then it's just a picture of Morto pinging Mothblocks "what happened?" and nothing else
actually true that is pretty funny
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #611047

wesoda25 wrote:I aint abused a bug since the donkpocket omnizine exploit :flex: :smug_smirk:

CHAMPS STAY WINNING!!
DAMN its been a while i remember this
ahbbhahbahbahbahhahaha i did not realize this until now

cSeal
Byond Username: O0cyann0o

Post by cSeal » #611048

HiKewne wrote:Local autist gets banned from talent show for doing the best presentation
he didnt even preform it, and if he did it wouldve been dry as fuck. youre coping kid!!!!!!!!!!
► Show Spoiler
MortoSasye
Byond Username: MortoSasye

Post by MortoSasye » #611050

Thank u, I'm at 5 pm every weekend, that will be reads her palm 200 bucks
Bella Rouge; no, it's not Rogue
NSFW:
Imaginos
Byond Username: PositiveEntropy

Post by Imaginos » #611051

A magician should never reveal their tricks.
Hello! I'm PositiveEntropy, Spritetainer and AdminTrainer extraordinaire! If you feel like sending any feedback, you may be interested in checking it out here.

Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #611052

I thought alphonzo got deadminned ages ago
► Show Spoiler
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #611053

Farquaar wrote:I thought alphonzo got deadminned ages ago
must... resist... replying...
MortoSasye
Byond Username: MortoSasye

Post by MortoSasye » #611055

Armhulen wrote:
You just did
Bella Rouge; no, it's not Rogue
NSFW:
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #611056

MortoSasye wrote:
Armhulen wrote:
You just did
NOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooo
saprasam
Byond Username: Saprasam

Post by saprasam » #611057

athath banned for being true and honest
(FORMER) tgmc admin (I HAVE REGAINED MY HUMAN RIGHTS)
Kryson
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Kryson

Post by Kryson » #611060

Jannies are frothing at the mouth to ban people who provide free bug testing of our code.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #611063

Kryson wrote:Jannies are frothing at the mouth to ban people who provide free bug testing of our code.
To be fair, it's in the rules they enforce. So like if you want people to stop being banned for exploiting why don't you start the discussion in policy discussion or become a headmin and remove it yourself
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #611065

Armhulen wrote:
Kryson wrote:Jannies are frothing at the mouth to ban people who provide free bug testing of our code.
To be fair, it's in the rules they enforce. So like if you want people to stop being banned for exploiting why don't you start the discussion in policy discussion or become a headmin and remove it yourself
What exactly is a bannable exploit as opposed to a fair-to-use bug though? When temp pumps were added you could heat plasma indefinitely without making a burn mix - that was patched out soon with a temp limit. But no one was banned for it of course. Where's the line drawn?
Spoiler:
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #611066

sinfulbliss wrote:
Armhulen wrote:
What exactly is a bannable exploit as opposed to a fair-to-use bug though? When temp pumps were added you could heat plasma indefinitely without making a burn mix - that was patched out soon with a temp limit. But no one was banned for it of course. Where's the line drawn?
if I recall correctly...
officially: when it's a bug that gives you an in game advantage and you're purposefully triggering it to get that advantage

unofficially: you do it once and tell admins, you're fineeee and heck it may make for a funny or interesting round if you can do some swanky shit. but doing the exploit beyond that and someone will probs ban you
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #611067

This is a really warped view because

1) the bug has already been tested at this point if it was repeatable enough to present
2) the bug existing does not benefit from being known by random individuals watching an event vs GitHub (was it even reported)
3) being a good bug tester doesn’t mean you have special exceptions for you surrounding abuse/misuse of bugs

ATH needs to learn if it isn’t obvious by now admins are watching him like a hawk so if he has an interest in trying to break the game then he needs to make sure the extent at which he does so is for the explicit purpose of reporting them (even then I wouldn’t do those activities on the live server he has pretty much lost that privilege). To be frank if that’s the only way he can enjoy the game then I’d recommend he just go somewhere else because administratively his current approach is unwanted here and a consistently misuses bugs for personal enjoyment ban is not going to look good on any flavor of server bar the “our gimmick is we’re not tg” ones.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #611068

sinfulbliss wrote:
Armhulen wrote:
There is no hard line drawn but I am personally of the opinion that if you abuse and can’t link to the issue/convo/any metric that shows you’re aware it’s already reported and can’t make it yourself that’s when it goes to “whoops I found an issue with the game” to being malicious. Emphasis on abuse aka actively using it to get some sort of advantage. This can be anything from maybe a quicker way to do your job to making yourself permanently unable to be seen.

If you know it’s not intended then don’t use it, that’s the fool-proof way to avoid finding yourself in a bug abuse ban.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Fishimun
Byond Username: Fishimun

Post by Fishimun » #611069

now in an alternate timeline, athath does the act ,everyone is impressed and Alphonzo opens a complaint about Sacko because he allowed athath to do it
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #611070

Cobby wrote:
sinfulbliss wrote:
Armhulen wrote:
There is no hard line drawn but I am personally of the opinion that if you abuse and can’t link to the issue/convo/any metric that shows you’re aware it’s already reported and can’t make it yourself that’s when it goes to “whoops I found an issue with the game” to being malicious. Emphasis on abuse aka actively using it to get some sort of advantage. This can be anything from maybe a quicker way to do your job to making yourself permanently unable to be seen.

If you know it’s not intended then don’t use it, that’s the fool-proof way to avoid finding yourself in a bug abuse ban.
Or ahelp if you're unsure :ugeek:
Malkraz

Post by Malkraz » #611071

all these dumb arguments over exploits would be great if they were about a ban that wasn't completely retarded