When is it being robust, and when is it just cheating your ass off?

Talk about non-ss13 stuff here.
BONERMASTER
Byond Username: BONERMASTER

When is it being robust, and when is it just cheating your ass off?

Post by BONERMASTER » #613138

Listen, every game will attract the special people that just want to win at every cost, and this game in particular probably even more so. They'll might even say "haha, good fight!", but something just rubs you the wrong way, and you can't shake the feeling that maybe their pinpoint precise shots and 100% perfect reflexes as well as their typing as they move and absolutely destroy you, maybe these did not come exactly "naturally". Maybe they're running 5 different programs to fool the admins into believing they are a fair person, and fooling YOU into thinking that you had a fair fight!

The question is, if nobody can detect a program that helps your spaceman out a little, when will you draw the line and say that your opponent is a dirty cheat? At what point will you say that with all your years of gaming, you refuse to believe that your opponents action's were legitimate, and that it could not have possibly been done by human hands alone, much less by those of your opponent?

Have you perhaps already been confronted by, what you believe to be, a cheat?

With warm regards
-BONERMASTER
SIGNATURE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

*YOUR ADVERTISEMENT COULD BE HERE* - Contact BONERMASTER & Associates for further information
Agux909
Byond Username: Agux909

Re: When is it being robust, and when is it just cheating your ass off?

Post by Agux909 » #613139

skill issue

bastardblaster
Byond Username: BastardBlaster

Post by bastardblaster » #613141

i refuse to believe that people are developing and using ss13 hacks
i have too much faith in the human race

kinnebian
Byond Username: Kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #613143

i have never considered the existance of ss13 cheats ever in my life
respect (let him do his thing)
MortoSasye
Byond Username: MortoSasye

Post by MortoSasye » #613145

they don't know
Bella Rouge; no, it's not Rogue
NSFW:
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Post by TheFinalPotato » #613146

ardentarclight wrote:i refuse to believe that people are developing and using ss13 hacks
I'm so sorry.

As a better response, it's suffering that people would cheat at space game, think it speaks to misaligned priorities. Game's set up wrong I guess. Need to remove all antags forever or something to set the people right.
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #613147

ardentarclight wrote:i refuse to believe that people are developing and using ss13 hacks
we've banned admins for varediting clown shoes to go fast

hell our first host was infamous for using admin powers to harass security and then run around the station at 250 miles an hour and warp through walls
Omega_DarkPotato
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Omega_DarkPotato

Post by Omega_DarkPotato » #613148

I naturally consider myself bad at combat
as such, if you kill me without being as blatant as

Code: Select all

*me snaps fingers (gibs the dumb stupid m*th)
I will think that you're legitimate and robust

I do not have any intention to get better at combat nor will my ping allow me to do so
luckily, you can't "cheat" talking to people so I've decided to get decent at "using my words" and "acting like a nearly-responsible adult"
Super Aggro Crag wrote:This is what u get when u let people into your community
play opus: echo of starsong
I'm an admin, typically on /tg/station Sybil. If you've got anything you'd like to say about me, my adminning, or my decisions, please comment in my admin feedback thread!
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #613151

I've seen and experienced people cheating at spacemans before. It does exist.

But then again anyone that kills me must also be cheating soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Hugs
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Post by RaveRadbury » #613152

My friends are robust.

My enemies are cheaters.

[youtube]5DDucAK-Jmg[/youtube]
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #613218

There used to be an aimbot trick we had to “patch out”, and I’ve seen a wide variety of exploit abuse so even without third party programs you can still be cheesy and lame
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
terranaut
Byond Username: Terranaut

Post by terranaut » #613232

theres dumb shit like aimbots or things that'll let you see everything in perfect vision which iirc was fixed by someone adding an otherwise unseeable object that'd just ban you if you see it
peak jank honestly, i love it, but fuck cheaters
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #613263

do people consider programs like the telesci calculator a cheating mechanic?

Think that was just bad game design being highlighted.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #613336

Years and years ago I tried using an AutoHotkey autoclicker script to overcome the fact that maybe 1 in 3 of my clicks on average go through. Used to make me a lot more robust in melee (which would otherwise be pretty hopeless, like all SS13 combat) but would cause problems elsewhere when the click would go through twice and reverse what I just did (like taking something out of an inventory slot I just put it in). I didn't consider it cheating because I'd always been at a distinct disadvantage because of my ping and have always had to eat shit as a result and it never helped me in any meaningful way because it was never practical to use long-term because it wasn't easy to use only in situations where multiple clicks would help rather than hinder.
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

IkeTG
Byond Username: LizardDreams

Post by IkeTG » #613412

if you get married IC and then start a relationship with another character, that's cheating
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #613418

IkeTG wrote:if you get married IC and then start a relationship with another character, that's cheating
This but unironically
Spoiler:
It's also mega cringe, but that goes without saying
► Show Spoiler
Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Post by Nabski » #613427

Omega_DarkPotato wrote:I naturally consider myself bad at combat
as such, if you kill me without being as blatant as

Code: Select all

*me snaps fingers (gibs the dumb stupid m*th)
I will think that you're legitimate and robust

I do not have any intention to get better at combat nor will my ping allow me to do so
luckily, you can't "cheat" talking to people so I've decided to get decent at "using my words" and "acting like a nearly-responsible adult"
I don't consider myself bad at combat, but there's nothing more satisfying than starting a fight, winning it, then convincing the security officer that you are the wronged party.
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #613435

Check their hours on Scrubby. If they have more hours than you (even significantly), they’re probably not cheating they’re just fuckin good. If they have <100 hours maybe they got lucky. I’m not even sure how you’d cheat properly combat-wise, autoclickers wouldn’t work for all kinds of reasons.
Spoiler:
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #613486

Maybe the cheating wasn't the real reward, it was the friends we robusted along the way.

Spoiler:
Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #613574

i definitely remember seeing people use deconstruct macros on hippie before

lol hippie admins
Fhaxaris
Byond Username: Fhaxaris

Post by Fhaxaris » #613750

BONERMASTER wrote:Have you perhaps already been confronted by, what you believe to be, a cheat?
Only person I thought was possibly aimbotting got banned for multikey so maybe once.
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #613751

I've seen evaders using aimbots to grief before, it's pretty obvious when you see it because the bot usually doesn't discriminate, so they'll just automatically hit anyone who gets close to them.
[this space reserved]
BONERMASTER
Byond Username: BONERMASTER

Post by BONERMASTER » #613759

Cobby wrote:do people consider programs like the telesci calculator a cheating mechanic?

Think that was just bad game design being highlighted.
I don't know how complicated it actually was back then, but let's say it required a high mathematical understanding to operate precisely, then I'd definitely consider this tool assisted. In the sense of cheating though, not really, because this game is not building a competition around using the telescience machine. The advantage gained through using this calculator is mitigated by the limits of the machine itself, and while it does allow for aquisition of highly protected and sensitive equipment, the tool is not giving you information that would be otherwise not obtainable and it does not give you a direct advantage in a confrontation against another player.
I think that these grey areas aren't a big deal, as long as you can reasonably expect another person to achieve a similar result with more time and experience or that the tools and knowledge to perform like this are widely available and easily accessible to the general public.

I'd further say, it's actionable cheating when you are performing an action that is impossible to replicate by human hand, i.e. perfect reflexes, acting on knowledge that should not be accessible to you, instantaneous speed and perfect aim. So we should definitely distinguish between someone using a calculator or the wiki to make good decisions, and someone using a script or a program to go absolutely nuts with their computer doing everything for them.

And I'm glad that I'm not the only one who has seen some sussy shit.

With warm regards
-BONERMASTER
SIGNATURE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

*YOUR ADVERTISEMENT COULD BE HERE* - Contact BONERMASTER & Associates for further information
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #613760

sinfulbliss wrote:autoclickers wouldn’t work for all kinds of reasons.
Worked well to guarantee a hit in melee, especially with a bad ping. You go from clumsily spamming clicks to firing off the maximum amount before the spam filter detects it with each click, which guarantees at least one goes through. Even with the click cooldown on various things including melee, having a click go through once per cooldown is a vast improvement over maybe getting half of that.
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

Fhaxaris
Byond Username: Fhaxaris

Post by Fhaxaris » #613768

Back when the status bar was part of the actual dreamseeker window, it was possible to read whatever your mouse was on using autohotkey and click based on the text to ignore the stuff you don't want to click on like the floor, walls, pipes.
MooCow12
Byond Username: MooCow12

Post by MooCow12 » #613771

Don`t forget that knowledge and info-war is a huge part of this game and that players will sometimes use death as a "pro gamer" scrying mechanic. Romerol zombies are a decent example of an offender for this since you`ll be dead and revive shortly after and ive recently experienced one b-line straight for a crate I had been hiding in on the escape shuttle for several minutes and ignoring the other 2 containers near me + he seemed full health so it seemed like he was recently revived.

Not to mention you can also view people`s inventories (and now even their bci implants) as a ghost and try to hard counter them, but this is (hopefully) much more rarer for someone to do than just finding someone`s location.

At least it will be obvious when someone dead examines my bci and sees that I have a button labeled (activate max cap) or something hooked to a radio signal and then they immediately go to try to pulse that with a remote signaler when they get revived for shits and giggles.
List of my favorite TG Staff.
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:who's this moocow guy and why is their head firmly planted up athath's ass
cSeal wrote: TLDR suck my nuts you bald bitch
JusticeGoat
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: JusticeGoat

Post by JusticeGoat » #613781

MooCow12 wrote:Don`t forget that knowledge and info-war is a huge part of this game and that players will sometimes use death as a "pro gamer" scrying mechanic. Romerol zombies are a decent example of an offender for this since you`ll be dead and revive shortly after and ive recently experienced one b-line straight for a crate I had been hiding in on the escape shuttle for several minutes and ignoring the other 2 containers near me + he seemed full health so it seemed like he was recently revived.

Not to mention you can also view people`s inventories (and now even their bci implants) as a ghost and try to hard counter them, but this is (hopefully) much more rarer for someone to do than just finding someone`s location.

At least it will be obvious when someone dead examines my bci and sees that I have a button labeled (activate max cap) or something hooked to a radio signal and then they immediately go to try to pulse that with a remote signaler when they get revived for shits and giggles.
I have served banned people for doing just that... Lings do it too.
Jonathan Gupta
Byond Username: BallastMonsterGnarGnar

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #613790

JusticeGoat wrote:
MooCow12 wrote:Don`t forget that knowledge and info-war is a huge part of this game and that players will sometimes use death as a "pro gamer" scrying mechanic. Romerol zombies are a decent example of an offender for this since you`ll be dead and revive shortly after and ive recently experienced one b-line straight for a crate I had been hiding in on the escape shuttle for several minutes and ignoring the other 2 containers near me + he seemed full health so it seemed like he was recently revived.

I have served banned people for doing just that... Lings do it too.
I take a look around my surrondings but no shit like spectating people looking where they are.
Living God

Extraordinary Person

Rohen_Tahir
Byond Username: Rohen Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #614128

Wasn't this like explicitly forbidden in the rules?
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #614132

Yeah being caught metagaming like that is an immediate permaban but its pretty hard to prove if they’re anything less than utterly shameless about it
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #614231

I have had one definite case of cheating on tg who was a blatant aimbotter that got salty and turned on the cheats to grief. They got removed pretty fast, but sadly I was deadmined at the time so I couldn't do it myself, but just watching him made it obvious since he attacked whenever someone approached. Kinda funny.
BagelRama
Byond Username: BagelRama

Post by BagelRama » #615848

There are in fact hacks for this game one is called byond control which you just put the name of the target into the program and if they enter the tile your in it will instantly hit them. I might be wrong but i think there is also a xray hack built into it aswell.

(No i dont use this i just saw this on a video awhile ago)

Video i saw