thank god for new ban appeal peanut

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
XivilaiAnaxes
Byond Username: XivilaiAnaxes

thank god for new ban appeal peanut

Post by XivilaiAnaxes » #617537

This board has been getting dangerously stale - I don't even need to read the appeal (holy fuck it's big) to know this is the fresh meat our peanut posting community needs.

viewtopic.php?p=617536#p617536
Stickymayhem wrote:Imagine the sheer narcisssim required to genuinely believe you are this intelligent.
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Re: thank god for new ban appeal peanut

Post by Timberpoes » #617549

I don't often disagree with Hulk, but one point I do pick a bone with.
Hulkamania's Ticket wrote: Yes but were you personally inconvenienced by this or are you just playing player-admin? I appreciate the gumption, but unless the person directly involved in the situation thinks it was ahelpable I don't really see the reason for me to investigate.
Hulkamania's Ban Appeal Response wrote: I have always had a personal philosophy that someone who is not directly involved in a situation should not be ahelping about said situation (obviously there are exceptions, but this is a general rule of mine).
I believe this philosophy is how servers develop negative cultural issues.

I'm going a bit into admin politics, but the decision on whether a rule has been broken and should be dealt with OOC is one for administrators to take, not for players. By making an ahelp, an uninvolved player is not "playing player-admin" - They're asking an admin to be a neutral party and investigate the matter. They're delegating that responsibility to the admin team to investgate because we've got all the necessary information. Part of an admin's raison d'etre is to investigate potential-rule-break ahelps fairly and impartially.

You can't rely on people involved to ahelp rule breaks against them, even when it's in their own interests to do so.

Players not ahelping problems sometimes leads to an arms race. Like developing cultural shift we have currently developing on Manuel between a few players. Antag gets validhunted, doesn't ahelp. Gears up harder next time to combat validhunters. Sec powergames to keep up. Crew powergames to keep up. At some point antag gets caught with masses of gamer gear and gets executed. Ahelps this. Nothing happens because none of the other stuff was documented and the behaviour is now culturally normalised. Now we have a shitty cultural shift developing. Sometimes these issues can be caught and resolved thanks to uninvolved parties ahelping to highlight things the admin team may have missed.

If a player feels they see a situation that breaks the rules then whether they're involved or not they should feel comfortable ahelping it. They should feel confident that an admin will investigate it fully. And they should be confident that the admin is a true neutral party who'll decide what's in the best interests of the server AFTER investigating rather than before.

Discovering a rule has been broken does not mean admins must do something about it. Rule 0. Admin discretion. But it's nice to know as a player that the admins are going to investigate before ruling your ahelp ticket without merit.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #617554

Timberpoes wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:37 pm
Hulkamania's Ticket wrote: Yes but were you personally inconvenienced by this or are you just playing player-admin? I appreciate the gumption, but unless the person directly involved in the situation thinks it was ahelpable I don't really see the reason for me to investigate.
Hulkamania's Ban Appeal Response wrote: I have always had a personal philosophy that someone who is not directly involved in a situation should not be ahelping about said situation (obviously there are exceptions, but this is a general rule of mine).
I believe this philosophy is how servers develop negative cultural issues.
This post is spot-on tbh

Stuff not getting addressed because it's never looked at because nobody brought it up is how low-level grief becomes normalized, and then mid-level grief becomes normalized, and so on.

(Bonus round: Some stuff, by definition, NEVER affects you personally, but is explicitly against the rules, like heads of staff antag rolling and logging out at round start if they don't get it)
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #617560

Ahelping stuff that doesnt/didnt affect you is cringe, but sometimes you gotta take one for the server and cringe yourself.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #617561

I agree with this part in the context of an escalation disagreement between two players, neither of them being you. If the clown is okay with being toolboxxed to death by the roboticist for slipping him, then I don't see why an unrelated engineer should be able to adminhelp and get the roboticist banned. If the clown isn't okay with it, then there's reason to ban the roboticist, otherwise let the situation go as it's a waste of time to ban someone for something that those directly affected didn't even get angry over.

There's plenty of actions other players can take that won't directly affect you but should still be reported though. For instance, immersion ruining stuff such as OOC in IC/IC in OOC, suicide as a head of staff, engineers changing out atmos's pipes so the AI can't mess with it at the start of the round, warden hiding the armory round start, et cetera. While admins should be looking for this stuff, they can't see everything and should be appreciative of players assisting them in finding these behaviors to make the server a better place.

Overall it would've wasted a lot less of everyone's time if hulk had rejected his second ticket and skipped the three day ban for a salty and blatantly sarcastic ticket.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Jonathan Gupta
Byond Username: BallastMonsterGnarGnar

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #617562

FINALLY A PEANUT
Living God

Extraordinary Person

iwishforducks
Byond Username: Iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #617563

not only do i disagree with hulk's philosophy here, but this was a complete petty ban. 3 days for this shit lol what a joke
im gay (and also play the moth “bugger”)
Jonathan Gupta

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #617566

Can I get a TL;DR?
Living God

Extraordinary Person

Hulkamania
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Hulkamania

Post by Hulkamania » #617571

The philosophy has nothing to do with the ban.

I investigated the incident in question anyway, and tried to get in contact with the guy but logs alone weren't enough for me to feel confident he did enough wrong to even warrant a note.

He got banned because he was acting like a twat and told me he was going to break a rule just because he was mad.
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #617580

Hiuk no uou cant opst in your own peanrujt reality will dstinatigrate
► Show Spoiler
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #617585

I think he felt this wasn't behaviour becoming of Manuel but wasn't sure if it was worthy of adminhelping or not. So when he did try to adminhelp it and was made to feel ashamed for doing so he got pissed and tried to get another admin involved knowing full well it likely wouldn't help. He felt if he was up front about "admin shopping" they wouldn't hold it against him. If he had a better idea of what is and isn't worthy of being adminhelped or wasn't the type of personality to react overly negatively to someone in authority making them feel foolish this wouldn't have happened.
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

CMDR_Gungnir
Byond Username: CMDR Gungnir

Post by CMDR_Gungnir » #617586

cacogen wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:01 am I think he felt this wasn't behaviour becoming of Manuel but wasn't sure if it was worthy of adminhelping or not. So when he did try to adminhelp it and was made to feel ashamed for doing so he got pissed and tried to get another admin involved knowing full well it likely wouldn't help. He felt if he was up front about "admin shopping" they wouldn't hold it against him. If he had a better idea of what is and isn't worthy of being adminhelped or wasn't the type of personality to react overly negatively to someone in authority making them feel foolish this wouldn't have happened.
No, I genuinely knew full well that the other admin couldn't do anything. It was literally just a spiteful and sarcastic thing, a metaphorical middle finger to an admin had basically spent the entire time telling me that trying to do the right thing was actually something bad ("playing player-admin"). I'd thought that by saying "Okay well time to do a thing that we both know is against the rules :^)" it'd be pretty obvious I don't ACTUALLY intend to do that.
MrAlphonzo
Byond Username: MrAlphonzo

Post by MrAlphonzo » #617588

CMDR_Gungnir wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:32 am No, I genuinely knew full well that the other admin couldn't do anything. It was literally just a spiteful and sarcastic thing, a metaphorical middle finger to an admin had basically spent the entire time telling me that trying to do the right thing was actually something bad ("playing player-admin"). I'd thought that by saying "Okay well time to do a thing that we both know is against the rules :^)" it'd be pretty obvious I don't ACTUALLY intend to do that.
Merely pretending.
Spoiler:
wesoda25 wrote: i love alphonzo and he can be a lot of fun but bro you need to get laid come on
oranges wrote:
Misdoubtful wrote:We're all friends here.
What fucking planet are you living on
oranges wrote: i'm not taking advice from a bottom bitch
OOC: IcePacks: vtubers
OOC: IcePacks: anime
OOC: IcePacks: two mistakes mankind has yet to rectify
XivilaiAnaxes
Byond Username: XivilaiAnaxes

Post by XivilaiAnaxes » #617589

You know this fast breaking peanut is good because both admin and applicant are posting in it 8-)
Stickymayhem wrote:Imagine the sheer narcisssim required to genuinely believe you are this intelligent.
CMDR_Gungnir
Byond Username: CMDR Gungnir

Post by CMDR_Gungnir » #617590

MrAlphonzo wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:38 am Merely pretending.
XivilaiAnaxes wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:40 am You know this fast breaking peanut is good because both admin and applicant are posting in it 8-)
I mean if he's going to come in here to insult me, I'm at least going to correct people when they're wrong about my intentions, and offer some memes. I may as well try and get SOME enjoyment out of this shitshow of mismanagement.
IkeTG
Byond Username: LizardDreams

Post by IkeTG » #617591

CMDR_Gungnir wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:32 am I'd thought that by saying "Okay well time to do a thing that we both know is against the rules :^)" it'd be pretty obvious I don't ACTUALLY intend to do that.
important life lesson: always expect to be taken at face value
Omega_DarkPotato
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Omega_DarkPotato

Post by Omega_DarkPotato » #617593

"but mr admin wtf i didnt ACTUALLY mean i was going to adminshop when i said i was going to adminshop this is wrong!!"

I agree with hulk that you could probably stand to take a break and think about what the game means to you and how to avoid getting annoyed enough that you "flip a middle finger" in a manner that gets you banned.
As for the supposed hostility, I think it's telling that both players and members of staff commenting here have either agreed with hulk or argued over the philosophical element, rather than that claim about hostility.

Also, as a free pro tip: saying "hard to really care about the opinion of an admin", full stop, doesn't matter what else you put after that, is probably something that may land you in trouble when it comes to an admin telling you that you should or should not do something.
Super Aggro Crag wrote:This is what u get when u let people into your community
play opus: echo of starsong
I'm an admin, typically on /tg/station Sybil. If you've got anything you'd like to say about me, my adminning, or my decisions, please comment in my admin feedback thread!
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #617601

It's a little unfortunate to see that ahelp go that way, hulk himself gave me a peptalk about how to conduct myself and avoid being accusatory/insinuating anything, and that was definitely not something he followed here. This is a situation solved before it ever becomes a problem. Don't say anything beyond some specifics like asking who they were and 'hey, I'll look into it, they logged out, thanks'.

Basically, don't give people an in to make a problem out of a situation that doesn't need to be one to begin with, you'll get people who will just end up making a fool out of themselves because of your mishandling (I know this because I've fallen into that trap plenty of times). Not everyone is especially good at handling their emotions, and certainly if someone seems to be making light of a problem they think is important. Being dismissive about something while you hold all the cards to deal with it can be really demoralizing about the state of administrative dealings. That's probably why I also think slapping them with a 3 day ban for what is effectively a botched ahelp is not just shaky, but comes off as almost baiting them into it.
Hulkamania wrote:That leads me to: My personal philosophy regarding ahelps is exactly that, personal. I told you as much during the conversation that due to our server rules and the way things are laid out, different admins have different interpretations of how each individual rule should be handled. I have always had a personal philosophy that someone who is not directly involved in a situation should not be ahelping about said situation (obviously there are exceptions, but this is a general rule of mine).
This part I think isn't the right mindset for any admin or what they should be telling the player. Players shouldn't be afraid to ahelp, but admins are not beholden to take someone outside of the situation's take for granted. Log diving, asking a few of the people affected whether they were okay with it and then leaving it as is can be good enough. But someone thought to check in and see if it was okay.

Technically, antag rolling and roundstart suiciding isn't a problem for players, but you should still ahelp it, since admins are sometimes not as keenly aware to that behaviour that players can be, since they tend to find the end results over multiple rounds. Maybe there was some act of grief, and the people affected don't know what happened or drew some false conclusion that made things worse, but as a ghost you do know, because you witnessed it with your broader amount of context. Are you not in the right to ahelp? If these are the exceptions hulk means, doesn't that seem a bit confusing?

This simply further muddies the waters as to when it is or isn't appropriate to ahelp, and when players are confused they'll probably simply just not do so whatsoever. Even if it means more on the admins plate, a proactive community engaging with its referees is a far better alternative to one scared to even approach admins for fear of being labelled as a complainer. The people who take it to an excessive degree do exist, but they're not nearly as common as those just hoping to get some clarification as to whether whatever they saw was what they thought they saw and wanted you, the admin, to know about it. Even if you dismiss the situation, you don't let the player know this beyond 'It's been handled'.
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #617602

(Just so you know this isn't condoning just outright telling admins you're breaking the rules but more that I think the punishment is unfair for what happened.)
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #617603

CMDR_Gungnir wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:32 am No, I genuinely knew full well that the other admin couldn't do anything. It was literally just a spiteful and sarcastic thing, a metaphorical middle finger to an admin had basically spent the entire time telling me that trying to do the right thing was actually something bad ("playing player-admin"). I'd thought that by saying "Okay well time to do a thing that we both know is against the rules :^)" it'd be pretty obvious I don't ACTUALLY intend to do that.
I get it. And maybe it was a griefer from one of the other servers. But if all they did was break windows your adminhelp looks a little excessive.
NSFW:

Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master

Post by Timberpoes » #617605

It's best the admins look at the situation and figure out if it needs actioning. Even if it seems like ahelping is an overreaction.

The admin team are here to mediate problems, not create them. If an ahelp is petty but not malicious, who cares? That's why we have admins. They can make that judgment call because that's what the entire team is trained to do and has the tools to do.

We are supposed to be a neutral party. The admin team is in service to the players. We volunteer our time to make the servers a better place for the benefit of everyone.

Outcomes like this don't make the servers a better place. They just create tensions between players and admins. They make players second guess ahelping. It's very us vs them.

When you hold all the power, your words have far more meaning and impact. It is exceptionally important to reflect on this.

I think on another time, another day and with another approach to this matter, it would not have ended up in any sort of confrontation.

And that's what makes this unfortunate. It was a pointless ban for a pointless disagreement that never should have gotten that far.

But it happened and my hope is that both parties reflect on it so something like this doesn't happen again.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
kieth4
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Kieth4

Post by kieth4 » #617610

Admin telling us to not ahelp if we aren't involved, not poggers.

I don't care about the ban itself, encouraging the player to not ahelp however? That's just messed up man. I know for a fact people already don't ahelp rulebreaking behaviour which breeds even more bad behaviour. An admin should be encouraging players to ahelp more not less. I can't even imagine being dismissed like that in an ahelp, I would most likely feel like my opinion doesn't matter and would not ahelp again for a while. Shits fucked man.
Hulkamania
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Hulkamania

Post by Hulkamania » #617611

Timberpoes wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:28 pm It's best the admins look at the situation and figure out if it needs actioning. Even if it seems like ahelping is an overreaction.
I did you massive chumbis I don't know how many times I can restate this.
iwishforducks
Byond Username: Iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #617615

instead of telling the player in the ahelp or literally any other time other than on their public ban appeal the true reason why you banned them, you stuck with the "gotcha" ban where you knew that they were just being stupid in the moment. i dont know why you're so hell bent on making this person feel stupid.
im gay (and also play the moth “bugger”)
Tastycasey
Byond Username: Tastycasey

Post by Tastycasey » #617617

fuccin owned lmao
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master

Post by Timberpoes » #617618

Hulkamania wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:23 pm
Timberpoes wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:28 pm It's best the admins look at the situation and figure out if it needs actioning. Even if it seems like ahelping is an overreaction.
I did you massive chumbis I don't know how many times I can restate this.
That was specifically in response to
cacogen wrote:I get it. And maybe it was a griefer from one of the other servers. But if all they did was break windows your adminhelp looks a little excessive.
but I didn't quote because I posted just below them.

If a player gets the feeling something is up, I'd prefer them to ahelp instead of worrying about whether they're over-reacting or not.
General Thrax
Byond Username: GeneralThrax

Post by General Thrax » #617619

chat shit get banged
Jonathan Gupta

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #617627

General Thrax wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:33 pm chat shit get banged
lmao(JUST GOT A RING AT MY DOOR!)
Living God

Extraordinary Person

datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #617654

I honestly don't understand why you wouldn't want players reporting rule breaks they see, even if they're not directly effected by the breaks. admins aren't omnipresent and sometimes need potential problems pointed out to them. they may be too busy talking to george melons and telling him not to randomly beat people to death to notice that don keedix has stolen the armory and gunned down the warden as a nonantag.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
Jackraxxus
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Jackraxxus

Post by Jackraxxus » #617659

Farquaar wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:11 pm Hiuk no uou cant opst in your own peanrujt reality will dstinatigrate
Best post in the thread appears criminally underrated. Very sad many such cases! Have a (you) my friend.
It perfectly combines a humorous misspelling of words with a well thought out critique of people involved in an appeal posting in that appeal's peanut thread.
At least, from my lurker perspective posting in one's own peanut never seems to end well.
iamgoofball wrote:Vekter and MrMelbert are more likely to enforce the roleplay rules Manuel is supposed to be abiding by than Wesoda or Jackraxxus are.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #617708

I agree. There have definitely been times where I've adminhelped something I thought was a genuine issue only to be made to feel stupid for doing so when I haven't received a response or the admin didn't explain whether they did anything about it. Ghost role spawners getting griefed, for example. I still don't know if that's against the rules, because the admin didn't respond.
NSFW:

Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #617737

play stupid games, win stupid prizes as the redditors would say. dudes entire appeal replies is oj Simpson's "if i did it"
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<