I need a good book

Talk about non-ss13 stuff here.
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

I need a good book

Post by wesoda25 » #618199

Been a minute since I’ve read one. I’m more interested in those which are thought provoking and provide a lot of content for analysis, I’m trying to kickstart my creativity again. I’ll even take poetry if it’s good.
[this space reserved]
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Re: I need a good book

Post by Armhulen » #618206

wesoda25 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:03 pm Been a minute since I’ve read one. I’m more interested in those which are thought provoking and provide a lot of content for analysis, I’m trying to kickstart my creativity again. I’ll even take poetry if it’s good.
i'm kinda just spitballing what i remember from reading these as a short synopsis to sell you

Republic by Plato
fun read on a philosopher's theoretically perfectly just society

Slaughterhouse V
great anti-war novel about a man stuck falling through time from his interactions with aliens that experience time on a higher plane than humans

Candide
french philosophy novel about... a lot of wonderful things! it's a great story that challenges optimistic philosophy with the hardships of the real world

The Great Gatsby
i'm not gonna lie this is just a really fun fuckin' book i know there's philosophy somewhere but you're just it's really just about them lost generation fuckoids doing what they do best

The Grapes of Wrath
set in the dust bowl with a family migrating away from their home, says some great stuff here and there about big corporations being a living breathing creature made up of the people inside who none of which are solely responsible for how the beast acts

The Metamorphosis
honestly a pretty sad book but we are entering the kafka zone so all of them are really sad. man turns into a giant cockroach one day and his family that loves him is shocked and sad, as time goes on they begin to hate him and their life improves with the man out of the picture. it's just sad but i really do like the book

A Hunger Artist
a hunger artist features... a hunger artist! someone who wants to starve themselves for a show but is sure they could be pushed even further, but their manager always stops them and forces them to eat. it goes downhill quick

Notes from Underground
the progenitor of existentialist books about a man raving and rambling about their shitty life as a retired civil servant in russia. GREAT BOOK

A short story you could read RIGHT now:

The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas
it's so short I don't want to give you a synopsis
http://sites.asiasociety.org/asia21summ ... Omelas.pdf
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #618211

Armhulen wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:45 pm
wesoda25 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:03 pm Been a minute since I’ve read one. I’m more interested in those which are thought provoking and provide a lot of content for analysis, I’m trying to kickstart my creativity again. I’ll even take poetry if it’s good.
Slaughterhouse V
great anti-war novel about a man stuck falling through time from his interactions with aliens that experience time on a higher plane than humans

The Great Gatsby
i'm not gonna lie this is just a really fun fuckin' book i know there's philosophy somewhere but you're just it's really just about them lost generation fuckoids doing what they do best

The Metamorphosis
honestly a pretty sad book but we are entering the kafka zone so all of them are really sad. man turns into a giant cockroach one day and his family that loves him is shocked and sad, as time goes on they begin to hate him and their life improves with the man out of the picture. it's just sad but i really do like the book

Notes from Underground
the progenitor of existentialist books about a man raving and rambling about their shitty life as a retired civil servant in russia. GREAT BOOK
I strongly second all of these. Fantastic well known picks that are well known for a reason.

Naked Lunch is another classic surreal work about heroin addiction and withdrawl. Its an incredibly unhealthy read, but worth while (Actually probably everything else after this is unhealthy too).

I was recently turned onto Mexican Gothic by a friend, but not far enough into it to say much. Still reading!

Blood Meridian is a favorite by McCarthy about violence and depravity during the Western expansions in the US. That said, it is constant violence.

The Penal Colony is another good work by Kafka about the gruesome execution of a prisoner. Not really much else to say rather than, read it.

The Painted Bird by Kosinski is an overly vivid bit about a boy abandoned by their family during WW2, and the horrors of WW2. A lot of shock value but there are very valuable new perspectives littered throughout it.

House of Leaves is a FUN book to try and read. It isn't structured the way any standard books would be, and is about a house that larger on the inside than it is the outside. You HAVE to read it as intended though, be sure not to find a version with mutilated flattened traditional typography.

Finnegans Wake is another challenging read more akin to hitting yourself in the head with a hammer a dozen times. If you were to find you enjoyed the challenge of House of Leaves, you'd have fun trying to comprehend it and make it make sense. Otherwise, probably best to avoid it.

Maybe The Bell Jar by Plath? Its a book about depression. Pretty sure it got banned in a few places though if that means anything. Maybe a bit overrated.

I used to do a lot of poetry and poetry slams back in undergrad and this was all the kind of stuff that kept my wheels turning. Mostly gruesome or unconventional stuff but books always seemed the best way to dive into things that just wouldn't be considered on the normal day to day, if even to just get some more perspective on things.

Can think of a lot more later, my personal library is uhhhhhhhh, this big:
NSFW:
Hugs
Jonathan Gupta
Byond Username: BallastMonsterGnarGnar

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #618212

George orwells 1984 or a classic by me currently in the writing
NSFW:
Gupta x Safety sex goliath
Living God

Extraordinary Person

FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #618215

I dont know you well enough to know what to recommend, bookreading is a personal experience.

I personally like reading Stephen King, like the Bachman Books (side to side, Rage, The Long Walk, Roadwork, and The Running Man on paper) I inherited from my late great grandfather Cujo, It, and Misery, and a bit of Charles Dickens, with David Copperfield and Great Expectations being meaty enough but not overwhelming to read over the course of a few nights.

Spoiler:
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #618231

Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #618242

I read A Canticle for Lebowitz recently. Amazing post-apocalyptic fiction. Absolutely devoured it- reading the whole thing in a couple days. A lot of thought-provoking themes regarding social/technological progress and human nature.

From what I’ve heard, it was the author’s magnum opus. The first, and only book the man ever wrote before his death.

I also read Through a Window recently as well. It’s about the author’s experiences studying a colony of chimpanzees for decades. She goes over their mating habits, their social hierarchies, and even their wars.
Not every chapter is interesting, but you’re bound to find something eye-opening while you read it.
► Show Spoiler
Valorium
Byond Username: Valorium

Post by Valorium » #618281

If you're in the market for essays rather than books, I finished reading A Room of One's Own by Virginia Woolf a few days ago. It's a series of six lectures/essays Woolf gave in 1928 about the nature of women and fiction, and it's a stellar feminist work. It has an incredibly elegant way of getting its point across while also having lovely vocabulary and wordplay. It's also fairly short, and you can find free PDFs online. Check it out.
Native Manuellian and Shiptest admin. Ignore me.

Also the author of several drone adventures.
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Post by RaveRadbury » #618284

Anything by Ray Bradbury or Philip K. Dick
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #618292

dune

read dune

its good
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #619442

Checked out the used bookstore section of my library the other day, unfortunately didn’t find any of these. Did manage to get my hands on a copy of the Sanctuary, which I’ve been wanting to read ever since I watched True Detective. So far I can see how it server as inspiration for the show.

Like the kafka recommendations, I studied In the Penal Colony for a class and even wrote a mini ss13 adaptation once which will never see the light of day. In general I quite like existentialism.

Also found a copy of the Interpreter of Maladies which is an excellent book full of short stories describing the experiences of Indian-American immigrants, with an emphasis on the sterility and individuality of American society. It’s got some powerful stuff in it, so I’m excited to own one I can mark up.
[this space reserved]
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #619450

yeats poetry is based

read dune

also kingkiller chronicles are cool

but dune has more fun analysis potential
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #619453

wgw
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

SuperNovaa41
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: SuperNovaa41

Post by SuperNovaa41 » #620561

Steve Jobs biography is really good
I just finished reading Little Women, it's VERY good, that's probably the kind of book you're looking for
Also any tom clancy book is good, reading the hunt for red october rn
I am a maintainer for /tg/

I play Seth Scherer somtimes

bastardblaster
Byond Username: BastardBlaster

Post by bastardblaster » #620568

tom clancy is great, i do rather dislike the newer ones though

Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #620584

So theres this book about this old lady who keeps swallowing things. This can't be good for her and I have no idea how she's still kicking. The plot twists are insane, and at this point I believe she's some sort of The-Thing type creature mimicking a human because you can't eat all this stuff. Here's the first book so you know what I'm talking about.

► Show Spoiler
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #620591

I picked up The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho.
Real good book, gives of the vibe of being granted wisdom by a 200-year-old Buddhist monk.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later