Youtube announces it will make dislikes invisible on all channels

Talk about non-ss13 stuff here.
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Youtube announces it will make dislikes invisible on all channels

Post by Farquaar » #618931

► Show Spoiler
In a bid to make "all voices heard", Youtube announced that it will remove the ability for the plebs to easily identify content that is misinformation, low-quality, or objectionable. This is totally not a bid to remove criticism of large brands and overpromoted narcissists with sensitive egos.

Feel free to drop a dislike on their announcement video if you want. It'll probably be the last time your dislikes will actually mean anything.
► Show Spoiler
Farquaar

Re: Youtube announces it will make dislikes invisible on all channels

Post by Farquaar » #618933

I'd also like to add that EmpLemon predicted this years ago
► Show Spoiler
terranaut
Byond Username: Terranaut

Post by terranaut » #618934

👎
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #618946

netflix did this too years ago and now it's full of shit what a surprise
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #618954

This actually sucks. I didn't know making all voices heard meant censoring any opinion of things being bad. Seems like the opposite don't it?
Hugs
IkeTG
Byond Username: LizardDreams

Post by IkeTG » #618960

this'll just serve to further add to the disinformation problem lmao
Jonathan Gupta
Byond Username: BallastMonsterGnarGnar

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #618967

Misdoubtful wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:12 pm This actually sucks. I didn't know making all voices heard meant censoring any opinion of things being bad. Seems like the opposite don't it?
Living God

Extraordinary Person

Rohen_Tahir
Byond Username: Rohen Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #618976

YT wrote:Like counts and comments are still a good way to get a sense of a video’s quality, especially for tutorials and educational videos. This way, users can still see what other viewers’ opinions of videos may be without making creators susceptible to coordinated dislike campaigns and other forms of harassment using the dislike counts.
I turned myself into Twitter Morty
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #619000

coordinate dislike campaigns and harassment are codewords for "pfizer is pissed off their propaganda campaign got disliked because they're run by reptilian sociopaths"
Omega_DarkPotato
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Omega_DarkPotato

Post by Omega_DarkPotato » #619024

interesting theory crag I'd love to hear where you're going with it
Super Aggro Crag wrote:This is what u get when u let people into your community
play opus: echo of starsong
I'm an admin, typically on /tg/station Sybil. If you've got anything you'd like to say about me, my adminning, or my decisions, please comment in my admin feedback thread!
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #619051

Omega_DarkPotato wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:10 am interesting theory crag I'd love to hear where you're going with it
youtuber doesn't actually care about "protecting smaller content creators" from "the big bad meanies of the internet" because smaller content creators don't make them money.

large corporations/government enterprises get really, really fucking angry when you tell them "wow this sucks" because they are not accustomed to being questioned and since they put Big Dollarinos into the Youtube they don't want people to have the option to let everyone else knows "yo this video is stanky yo"

same shit happened when fat lady made a netflix special that was all over the platform and it was rancid ass cuz she just kept saying "ayo muh giny stinky dawg, sheit" and so netflix removed all the star ratings in an attempt to con people into watching a shitty standup special because people would no longer be forewarned that damn son it aint good
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #619282

who fucking cares? since when has anyone looked at the like/dislike counts on anything other than videos they did not like.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #619284

oranges wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:09 pm who fucking cares? since when has anyone looked at the like/dislike counts on anything other than videos they did not like.
me to find out if songs i like are underappreciated so i share them with my friends so they can listen to a cool artist
Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #619285

oranges wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:09 pm who fucking cares? since when has anyone looked at the like/dislike counts on anything other than videos they did not like.
Farquaar wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:11 pm
► Show Spoiler
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #619455

The amount/ratio is unremarkable on 99% of videos. The exceptions are when it's been review bombed and it's clearly not an accurate reflection of the quality of the video or it's one of that avocado guy's videos where it's irrelevant because the idiots will keep hatewatching anyway expecting him to die only for the sheer force of their attention to make him stronger than ever.
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #619473

cacogen wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:38 am The amount/ratio is unremarkable on 99% of videos. The exceptions are when it's been review bombed and it's clearly not an accurate reflection of the quality of the video or it's one of that avocado guy's videos where it's irrelevant because the idiots will keep hatewatching anyway expecting him to die only for the sheer force of their attention to make him stronger than ever.
Dislikes are not merely a measure of objective quality. In many cases they operate as a measure of controversiality. It's for people...

...to watch a video with a garbage hot-take, and think "hey, am I insane or is this really stupid?" and then look at the dislikes and realize "oh yeah, I'm not the only one."
...to listen to a politician's propaganda message and think "hey, am I the only one who thinks this is a load of crap?" and then look at the dislikes and realize "oh yeah, I'm not the only one"
...to see a slimy corporation's slick PR advert and think "hey, I think this company is trying to pull a fast one?" and then look at the dislikes and realize "oh yeah, I'm not the only one"
...to have an astroturfed media star shoved in their face and think "hey, is it me or is this guy ruthlessly promoted even though he's an awful person who makes lazy content?" and then look at the dislikes and realize "oh yeah, I'm not the only one"

And I could go on. I would encourage you to watch the EmpLemon video I linked if you'd like a real breakdown of why dislikes are important.
► Show Spoiler
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #619476

cacogen wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:38 am The amount/ratio is unremarkable on 99% of videos. The exceptions are when it's been review bombed and it's clearly not an accurate reflection of the quality of the video or it's one of that avocado guy's videos where it's irrelevant because the idiots will keep hatewatching anyway expecting him to die only for the sheer force of their attention to make him stronger than ever.
review bombing is a buzzword made by corporations to justify putting out shitty content. "Oh, those aren't REAL reviews, they don't count!"
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Post by Helios » #619527

Thumbs up and down is most useful in tech support videos.
It's an easy way to distinguish the bullshit from the legit
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #619811

very annoying, youtube keeps removing all forms of viewer-facing rating and evaluation.

Trust the Algorithm. Obey the Algorithm. Consume the Algorithm.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #619827

Helios wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:59 pm Thumbs up and down is most useful in tech support videos.
It's an easy way to distinguish the bullshit from the legit
Naw man I saw this awesome computer building tutorial by The Verge it looks totally legit
Not-Dorsidarf wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:48 pm very annoying, youtube keeps removing all forms of viewer-facing rating and evaluation.

Trust the Algorithm. Obey the Algorithm. Consume the Algorithm.
Hey you know how you turned off autoplay? Whoops, looks like autoplay got turned on again! What a funny glitch haha 😅
► Show Spoiler
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #619925

Why don't they simply block dislikes until you've consumed x amount of the video? It would make it less practical to downvote shit because of the author or what it represents to you instead of the shit itself.
NSFW:

Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #621138

I recently learned that Youtube co-founder Jawed Karim edited the description of the first video uploaded to Youtube, "Me at the zoo", to comment on Youtube's effective removal of dislikes.

Reproduced here for those too lazy to click the link:
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #621145

>youtube removed the dislike option because companies are mad about their shitty videos getting disliked
>users, instead of clicking the thumbs down and moving on, express themselves through the comment system
>youtube comments become even *more* toxic, angry, and abrasive because they're full of people who are pissed off
>companies get asshurt again and disable comments

jee whiz who could have predicted this shit
Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #621155

its all so tiresome
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #621184

This is really dumb, very big shame to see this sort of thing.
[this space reserved]
Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Post by Nabski » #621196

I use it to get an idea if a tutorial video is good advice or bad practices.
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #621219

Nabski wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:04 pm
I use it to get an idea if a tutorial video is good advice or bad practices.
"Yeah just throw on a good amount of thermal paste"

(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #621378

the idea of that guy editing the zoo video's description that it's going to affect which videos are promoted by the algorithm is wrong i think the impression i got from what i've read was the dislike button is still there and the count is still visible to the creator of the video it's just publicly hidden to avoid dislike bombing
NSFW:

Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #621399

cacogen wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:13 pm the idea of that guy editing the zoo video's description that it's going to affect which videos are promoted by the algorithm is wrong i think the impression i got from what i've read was the dislike button is still there and the count is still visible to the creator of the video it's just publicly hidden to avoid dislike bombing
Yeah but that's the wrong way around, youtube video creators shouldnt care how many dislikes they get because they get stats like engagement, average watch time, etc, which are actually relevant to anyone trying to make money on that site. Likes/Dislikes are a user-facing interaction
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Rohen_Tahir
Byond Username: Rohen Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #621539

Enhancer for youtube now shows dislikes on firefox.