Martial Arts Thread

Talk about non-ss13 stuff here.
Notgonnabreaktherule
Byond Username: Notgonnabreaktherules2

Martial Arts Thread

Post by Notgonnabreaktherule » #622911

what martial arts are you guys trained in? i've been into kickboxing for 7 years, been thinking about trying out new martial arts
resident european on basil
► Show Spoiler
do not take books from me
terranaut
Byond Username: Terranaut

Re: Martial Arts Thread

Post by terranaut » #622914

i had 3 fencing lessons so i'm a better swordfighter than most of you
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #622918

i did bjj for several years then started doing karate and kickboxing
Spoiler:
Onpine
Byond Username: Onpine

Post by Onpine » #622927

sinfulbliss wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:39 pm i did bjj for several years then started doing karate and kickboxing
not surprised sinful is trained in bj ://
► Show Spoiler
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #622945

i played ghost of tsushima for a bit but then i stopped
Rageguy505
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Rageguy505

Post by Rageguy505 » #622953

I do grappling
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #623301

I have a little bit of taekwondo and have taken a karate class based on personal self-defense. I was thought a maneuver in the karate class called "monkey grabs the peach" in which you attempt to grab the opponent by their testicles and pull as hard as you could.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
legality
Byond Username: Legality

Post by legality » #623338

I do judo twice a week and I cross train in chen style tai chi and baguazhang once a week each. The latter are more for fun and fitness since, like most TMA, there's not much pressure testing/free sparring, but I do learn some stuff I can bring into judo. there's lots of shiau jiao (chinese folk wrestling) built into both systems so there's some good material for grapplers.

@OP:
If you've just been doing kickboxing and you're looking for something new you should pick up a grappling art to make yourself more well rounded. I'm biased ofc but I fully recommend judo. It's a ton of fun and there's a very intense focus on hands-on instruction and sparring. BJJ is great too, but the focus on ground fighting means it's less useful for self defense - you sacrifice your ability to disengage or run away when you take a fight to the ground. Better to go with judo/wrestling/sambo, especially if you're looking to be able to synergize what you already know with whatever new art you pick up.
Jonathan Gupta
Byond Username: BallastMonsterGnarGnar

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #623340

I was an amateur boxer for a while.
Living God

Extraordinary Person

cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #623367

Reading this thread makes me wish I had a bone of athleticism in my body. I would like to have to register my hands as deadly weapons.
Itseasytosee2me wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 4:16 pmI was thought a maneuver in the karate class called "monkey grabs the peach" in which you attempt to grab the opponent by their testicles and pull as hard as you could.
Dishonourable.
Jonathan Gupta
Byond Username: BallastMonsterGnarGnar

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #623425

cacogen wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:16 pm
Itseasytosee2me wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 4:16 pmI was thought a maneuver in the karate class called "monkey grabs the peach" in which you attempt to grab the opponent by their testicles and pull as hard as you could.
Dishonourable.
Do you think honor matters in a fight? It's bout the fight not bout dirty moves or illegal moves. It's about beating the other person black and blue till they fuck off.
Living God

Extraordinary Person

Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #623427

Dishonourable.
(game of thrones spoilers, not that anyone cares about game of thrones because of what they did)
► Show Spoiler
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #623456

legality wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:41 am BJJ is great too, but the focus on ground fighting means it's less useful for self defense - you sacrifice your ability to disengage or run away when you take a fight to the ground. Better to go with judo/wrestling/sambo, especially if you're looking to be able to synergize what you already know with whatever new art you pick up.
I sort of disagree - 73% of fights go to the ground so knowing how to do it is pretty essential. I agree judo is better for disengaging, though. Interesting thing is that kodokan judo also has an entire repertoire of groundfighting techniques, but they usually aren't taught or aren't focused on much. BJJ likewise will teach basic throws (hip throw, single leg takedown etc) but doesn't focus on them. I'd say BJJ is better overall for self-defense, but judo is probably more fun as a sport (just cause throws are a lot of fun).

In all likelihood you won't end up needing any of the stuff you're training anyway, since most people won't get into many fights in their lives... So do whichever is most fun to you or catches your eye.
Onpine wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:45 pm
sinfulbliss wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:39 pm i did bjj for several years then started doing karate and kickboxing
The lowest hanging fruit.......
Spoiler:
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #623487

Jonathan Gupta wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:29 am
Dishonourable.
Do you think honor matters in a fight? It's bout the fight not bout dirty moves or illegal moves. It's about beating the other person black and blue till they fuck off.
No, of course not. I've learned that all that matters in life is winning. I guess I just found it odd they'd teach a move like that in karate. Isn't it all about honour?
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #623488

I have a blackbelt in taekwondo so I'm partial to that. The sparring was always fun : )
[this space reserved]
Onpine
Byond Username: Onpine

Post by Onpine » #623529

sinfulbliss wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:07 pm
legality wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:41 am BJJ is great too, but the focus on ground fighting means it's less useful for self defense - you sacrifice your ability to disengage or run away when you take a fight to the ground. Better to go with judo/wrestling/sambo, especially if you're looking to be able to synergize what you already know with whatever new art you pick up.
I sort of disagree - 73% of fights go to the ground so knowing how to do it is pretty essential. I agree judo is better for disengaging, though. Interesting thing is that kodokan judo also has an entire repertoire of groundfighting techniques, but they usually aren't taught or aren't focused on much. BJJ likewise will teach basic throws (hip throw, single leg takedown etc) but doesn't focus on them. I'd say BJJ is better overall for self-defense, but judo is probably more fun as a sport (just cause throws are a lot of fun).

In all likelihood you won't end up needing any of the stuff you're training anyway, since most people won't get into many fights in their lives... So do whichever is most fun to you or catches your eye.
Onpine wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:45 pm
The lowest hanging fruit.......
and yet you still BAWLED your eyes out before sleeping.. how curious......
► Show Spoiler
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #623557

cacogen wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:09 am
Jonathan Gupta wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:29 am
Dishonourable.
No, of course not. I've learned that all that matters in life is winning. I guess I just found it odd they'd teach a move like that in karate. Isn't it all about honour?
Book says "steals the peach" but I remember clearly my instructor said "grabs the peach" who knows maybe he didn't know what the hell he was talking about.
Book says "steals the peach" but I remember clearly my instructor said "grabs the peach" who knows maybe he didn't know what the hell he was talking about.
Nah, not at least the ones I took (American Kenpo Karate.) The main idea was basically about personal self-defense in potential real-life scenarios rather than for sport, with most events being demos rather than sparing matches. We focused on things like building muscle memory to escape from grabs on a hair-trigger and reactively parrying oncoming blows without thinking about it. Offensive combat was focused more on grabs and powerful leg strikes (often to the kneecaps, shins, or dick.) with the goal to severely injure your opponent so they would stop attacking you. I was always more partial to the defensive element and while I could give you a detailed method of breaking away from a grab on your arm, I honestly could not tell you what the correct way was to grab a dick nowadays.

Edit: please add this as a martial art to the game
Edit 2: better yet, dont
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later