Steam anti-trust lawsuit

Talk about non-ss13 stuff here.
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Steam anti-trust lawsuit

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #657373

Oh man! It looks like the game distribution platform Steam is in a load of hot water for artificially increasing the prices of video games in the dang games industry!
And oh, what's this? They've gone into arbitration rather than fighting a class action lawsuit.

There is no possible way this could backfire on them!
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Re: Steam anti-trust lawsuit

Post by Farquaar » #657378

Any articles with good details?
► Show Spoiler
Itseasytosee2me

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #657382

Farquaar wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:03 am Any articles with good details?
There's a few legal journals out there, and a few articles, but the legal are sparse as of right now, and probably will be until arbitration is over. Lawyers still aren't playing their full hand yet.

This was a good one https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-set ... bitration/

The main argument is that steam is manipulating the video game market by taking 30% commissions on game sales and binding developers to not offering the game anywhere else cheaper. This combined with its stranglehold on the industry makes it in violation of anti-trust laws.

It's likely that valve is going to settle instead of taking it to court, and with the current proceedings its probably gonna be alot.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
TheSmallBlue
Byond Username: SmallBlue

Post by TheSmallBlue » #657384

wait, valve doesn't allow developers to sell their games on other pc storefronts aside of steam?
When human I go by Bluti Kabooti, when AI I go by Azure
Comm from
TheSmallBlue
Byond Username: SmallBlue

Post by TheSmallBlue » #657385

wait, valve doesn't allow developers to sell their games on other pc storefronts aside of steam?
When human I go by Bluti Kabooti, when AI I go by Azure
Comm from
Rohen_Tahir
Byond Username: Rohen Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #657386

TheSmallBlue wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:42 am wait, valve doesn't allow developers to sell their games on other pc storefronts aside of steam?
yeah
Rohen_Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #657387

TheSmallBlue wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:42 am wait, valve doesn't allow developers to sell their games on other pc storefronts aside of steam?
yeah
Rohen_Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #657388

yeah
Agux909
Byond Username: Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #657413

Ah I made a big post about this being a skill issue between different corps but apparently, these anti-trust laws defend fair competitivity itself and that's the angle against what Steam is doing with the monopolization.

Indie-ana Jones
Byond Username: Indie-ana Jones

Post by Indie-ana Jones » #657417

How does Steam taking 30% stop developers from selling their games for cheaper?
Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #657418

I think it's in the contract, they can't or would be breaching it.

Itseasytosee2me

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #657419

Indie-ana Jones wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:30 pm How does Steam taking 30% stop developers from selling their games for cheaper?
Steam has a monopoly on online game storefronts. If developers want their game to have proper exposure on a reputable platform, and they aren’t being directly published by epic or something, steam is the only place to go. They can drive up prices everywhere else a game might be sold because developers have to set the prices high after steam takes their cut. Steam won’t accept prices for games if you are listing them cheaper elsewhere. If you wanna be on steam, (and big budget names HAVE ago be on steam) you have to inflate the price of your game.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
Indie-ana Jones
Byond Username: Indie-ana Jones

Post by Indie-ana Jones » #657449

So Steam has a monopoly in theory because Timmy is too retarded to make a proper storefront?
Itseasytosee2me

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #657464

Indie-ana Jones wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:38 pm So Steam has a monopoly in theory because Timmy is too retarded to make a proper storefront?
I mean, if the ability to drastically alter and inflate the video game market is evidence, yea
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #657619

Indie-ana Jones wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:38 pm So Steam has a monopoly in theory because Timmy is too retarded to make a proper storefront?
also people really really don't like multiple digital storefronts
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #657623

"Of course we'll bundle our MorganNet software with the new network nodes; our customers expect no less of us. We have never sought to become a monopoly. Our products are simply so good that no one feels the need to compete with us."

--CEO Nwabudike Morgan,
Morgan Data Systems press release
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Imitates-The-Lizards
Byond Username: Typhnox

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #657624

The only good alt storefront is GOG Galaxy. EGS is just trying to bribe their way to marketshare using free games, but lack the technical knowhow to make a fucking shopping cart, no one likes single developer platforms like the Bethesda or Rockstar launchers (Battle.net is the only exception because of Blizzard legacy), especially since the Bethesda one was basically just built to not have to comply with Steam's refund policies when they knew F76 launch would be dogshit.

Steam isn't a monopoly because they're amazing, it's because they're the only one that has good tech, good policies (generally, although some of their game denies have been questionable), good selection, and good pricing with sales all the time. They're a monopoly due to everyone else's incompetence, so them getting sued over this is ridiculous. If everyone else is too stupid to compete, why should Steam get punished for that?

The only exception is GOG Galaxy, who simply came on to the scene after Steam was established.
Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #657626

Imitates-The-Lizards wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:19 am The only good alt storefront is GOG Galaxy. EGS is just trying to bribe their way to marketshare using free games, but lack the technical knowhow to make a fucking shopping cart, no one likes single developer platforms like the Bethesda or Rockstar launchers (Battle.net is the only exception because of Blizzard legacy), especially since the Bethesda one was basically just built to not have to comply with Steam's refund policies when they knew F76 launch would be dogshit.

Steam isn't a monopoly because they're amazing, it's because they're the only one that has good tech, good policies (generally, although some of their game denies have been questionable), good selection, and good pricing with sales all the time. They're a monopoly due to everyone else's incompetence, so them getting sued over this is ridiculous. If everyone else is too stupid to compete, why should Steam get punished for that?

The only exception is GOG Galaxy, who simply came on to the scene after Steam was established.
Yeah pretty much.

Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #657705

this is like suing kentucky fried chicken because you own a single chicken restaurant in delaware and you're mad people in idaho aint buying your chicken

or maybe it isnt, im not a lawyer, i think laws are cringe