Post by Deitus » #137995

Bottom post of the previous page:

100th reply

guns r bad :(
XSI
Byond Username: XSI

Re: active shooter in california

Post by XSI » #138006

I like how the media is doing so much damage control now it turned out they were muslims

And how they went from blaming guns to blaming america for being racist/hateful and so on
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #138008

This must be a nightmare scenario for security/intelligence forces, small cells of motivated individuals who conduct quick shooting attacks and then move. Seems like a more effective terror method than just suicide bombers as well, because unless they are caught at the first scene the whole area will be locked down until they are really caught.
LiamLime
Byond Username: LiamLime

Post by LiamLime » #138010

I wonder if state media would work in the US - something like the BBC or the equivalent state media from other European countries. Basically either a nonprofit or for-profit company, which receives funding from the federal government, however is fully independent, with some laws in place to essentially enforce its neutrality. State media can be very cheap, so this wouldn't necessarily be a large expense and might be a good alternative to the highly politicized private media. I have no idea if it would work though.
The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of the expanding bureaucracy.
rdght91
Byond Username: Roadhog1

Post by rdght91 » #138012

The data on gun control is very mixed when it comes to homicides and different sources will reach different conclusions about crime. However, it's fair to say that the evidence does overwhelmingly support that easy access to guns means far higher suicide completions.
Takeguru
Byond Username: TakeGuru

Post by Takeguru » #138017

LiamLime wrote:I wonder if state media would work in the US - something like the BBC or the equivalent state media from other European countries. Basically either a nonprofit or for-profit company, which receives funding from the federal government, however is fully independent, with some laws in place to essentially enforce its neutrality. State media can be very cheap, so this wouldn't necessarily be a large expense and might be a good alternative to the highly politicized private media. I have no idea if it would work though.

It'd be controlled too easily.

"Hey, don't talk too much about the new law that's actually pretty close to being unconstitutional or we cut funding" kind of deal.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #138020

LiamLime wrote:I wonder if state media would work in the US - something like the BBC or the equivalent state media from other European countries. Basically either a nonprofit or for-profit company, which receives funding from the federal government, however is fully independent, with some laws in place to essentially enforce its neutrality. State media can be very cheap, so this wouldn't necessarily be a large expense and might be a good alternative to the highly politicized private media. I have no idea if it would work though.
>BBC
>Unbiased

Get the fuck out of here you crazy ignorant fool.
LiamLime

Post by LiamLime » #138021

I'm comparing it to CNN, ABC, NBC, Fox, etc. I think the BBC is amazingly unbiased compared to any of these.

Also I never actually said the BBC is unbiased, I said "Like the BBC" and then laid out specifications for this fictional US state sponsored media company.
XSI

Post by XSI » #138024

Malkevin wrote:
>BBC
>Unbiased

Get the fuck out of here you crazy ignorant fool.
Beat me to it
The BBC is probably one of the most biased news agencies out there. If the goal was to have an impartial, unbiased and non-partisan news organisation then they failed hard
Not that that's saying much with how the majority of news agencies are absolutely shit tier
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #138032

there is no such thing as an unbiased news agency, some are just better at hiding it than others
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
invisty
Byond Username: Invisty

Post by invisty » #138035

The BBC may be biased but it's less biased than pretty much every major news outlet in the states. See: Everything on television.

But hey, I guess that free market economy means consumers will get the great news sources they want, right?

Honestly even the likes of RT and some of the arab state english channels are less biased than mainstream American news. But that goes to show how much America's perspective on the world is completely out of whack.
Mime: Depresso
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #138047

al jazeera has won multiple international journalism rewards
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #138049

RT's pretty good, as long as its not about GLORIOUS MOTHER RUSSIA
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #138105

the answer is to watch all 3 and don't let a single side inform you.
1g88a
Byond Username: Ig88A

Post by 1g88a » #138125

Every network is biased (generally these are obvious and can be read through) and pretty much the only way to get even vaguely accurate info about situation in Syria for instance is to go by the things everyone agrees on as true or some compilation of blogs/uploads. Bellingcat/Brown Moses aren't exactly news networks but they are certainly interesting.
DEAD: ADMIN(Hornygranny) says, "you play in my universe, normie"
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #138137

New little detail emerged: apparently the shooters modified the weapons to fire automatically rather than semi-automatically. 3D printers are becoming more and more sophisticated and mainstream by the year. Even now, you can use them to print guns. Sure, they may be really shitty guns now, but give it a decade or so. The gun control debate is going to be moot soon, when the only limit to what kinds of guns you can obtain is what you can find online. If we don't address the underlying socioeconomic and psychological elements soon, we are in deeeeeep shit.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #138138

Well I was going to say something about shitty 3d printer resin but apparently metal printing came up in 2013.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #138143

Luke Cox wrote:New little detail emerged: apparently the shooters modified the weapons to fire automatically rather than semi-automatically. 3D printers are becoming more and more sophisticated and mainstream by the year. Even now, you can use them to print guns. Sure, they may be really shitty guns now, but give it a decade or so. The gun control debate is going to be moot soon, when the only limit to what kinds of guns you can obtain is what you can find online. If we don't address the underlying socioeconomic and psychological elements soon, we are in deeeeeep shit.
Meanwhile, in Germany, I can see 3D printing become heavily restricted and internet censorship try harder than ever before.
Please let 3D printing guns not be a thing.

...oh, wait, right, those need ammo.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #138145

Ammo is american for dirt.

Just accept natures' gift.
LiamLime

Post by LiamLime » #138146

There was a 3D printed gun that got posted to the tgs forums like 4 years ago. I got very depressed from that thread. The thing is, when you have a generic machine like a 3D printer, there is no way to tell it "do not print guns", because it has no idea what a gun is. As unfortunate as 3D printing guns is, it will become a thing. There is essentially nothing we can do about it, we'll just have to live with it... or get shot by pme and not do that.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #138154

DemonFiren wrote:
Luke Cox wrote:New little detail emerged: apparently the shooters modified the weapons to fire automatically rather than semi-automatically. 3D printers are becoming more and more sophisticated and mainstream by the year. Even now, you can use them to print guns. Sure, they may be really shitty guns now, but give it a decade or so. The gun control debate is going to be moot soon, when the only limit to what kinds of guns you can obtain is what you can find online. If we don't address the underlying socioeconomic and psychological elements soon, we are in deeeeeep shit.
Meanwhile, in Germany, I can see 3D printing become heavily restricted and internet censorship try harder than ever before.

Internet censorship does not work. It is logistically impossible to stop somebody who is determined and knows what they're doing. Ask Hollywood. As for Ammo, that's a hell of a lot easier to obtain than the gun itself. If your country allows for the sale of any bullet that's even remotely lethal (i.e. fucking everywhere), that's all they need. Even a 9mm automatic rifle could kill a lot of people.
XSI

Post by XSI » #138180

If guns are going to be printed, society is going to have to address the reason why people shoot stuff

Fun times ahead
Takeguru

Post by Takeguru » #138181

It won't be much different than it is now

You can already make a functional gun out of a pipe, nail, and block of wood.
Some gun buybacks accept these as real guns and pay full price for them, so you can actually make money off of it.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #138182

So yeah they found shitloads of pipe bombs, and hundreds of pounds of ammo in the shooters home. They're interviewing their relatives now.

The shooters themselves, the names of which I refuse to state, were married and worshipped Islam.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #138195

Zilenan91 wrote:So yeah they found shitloads of pipe bombs, and hundreds of pounds of ammo in the shooters home. They're interviewing their relatives now.

The shooters themselves, the names of which I refuse to state, were married and worshipped Islam.
Syed Rizwan Farook and Tashfeen Malik
A paki and a saudi
XSI

Post by XSI » #138196

And apparently one of them swore allegiance to ISIS just days before the attack
Takeguru

Post by Takeguru » #138233

So it turns out I actually live in San Bernardino county.

Completely slipped my mind, as I'm so disconnected from everywhere else.

Went shopping today, had to go through additional security to get back on post
Read as: I had to open my trunk for them to glance through.

I hope those bastards are happy, they inconvenienced me
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #138265

XSI wrote:If guns are going to be printed, society is going to have to address the reason why people shoot stuff

Fun times ahead
My point exactly. Guns may kill people, but what makes people want to kill people? The gun control debate is the easy way out for politicians who don't want to confront things like poverty and mental healthcare, which might displease their corporate overlords campaign contributors
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #138339

Luke Cox wrote:
DemonFiren wrote:

Internet censorship does not work. It is logistically impossible to stop somebody who is determined and knows what they're doing. Ask Hollywood. As for Ammo, that's a hell of a lot easier to obtain than the gun itself. If your country allows for the sale of any bullet that's even remotely lethal (i.e. fucking everywhere), that's all they need. Even a 9mm automatic rifle could kill a lot of people.
But just like gun control, it actually does.
Determined people can get around it, true, but the vast majority of people will not or cannot do that.

See: China. They have a rediculous censorship setup for all media, internet and otherwise. Lots of people get around that, but the vast majority of Chinese fully belief all the shit they get fed because they don't have ready access to anything that tells them otherwise.

Nothing like this is 100% effective, nor are they trying to be. But if you get the 99%, that's all that matters. Leave the 1% to law enforcement, but their job is a hell of a lot easier if they only have to focus on a few people getting guns illegally as opposed to hundreds of millions getting bought and sold legally AND the illegal shit.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #138367

lumi phaeron literally advocates internet censorship and totalitarianism
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #138379

Mexican smugglers have obsoleted all forms of government. Even anarchy they will just smuggle in new politicians and judges they are that good.
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #138387

Oh fucking shit stop the presses stop the presses, no literally stop them the press are fucking rogue. 15 hours old news but hoooooly shiiiiiit.
[youtube]niSDaLR7vKI[/youtube]
Exactly how it happened is fucking obscured as fuck because all media involved broke the fucking law and just happened to have tools ready to break through the sealed door anyway and the apartment was under tenant's estate or some shit not the landlord so suss as fuck. One of the few points I don't fucking blame conspiracy mongers truth stranger than fucking fiction.

The scary thing is the media were most likely waiting to do this sort of shit after every high profile crime in recent memory, if Osama was somehow living in an apartment they could get at then they would have done the same thing 2 days after bloody 911 given the chance. No mockery of the reporter seeking a "scoop" has been cutting enough these vacuous vultures are barely even human, I knew journalistic integrity was dead but I thought under all the faked emotion in the now trite reports of every tragedy at least the basic apparatus of a human being remained. They are the opposite of reporters they wait eagerly to destroy the truth, we never needed a conspiracy they were just so fucking bad at their jobs.
LiamLime

Post by LiamLime » #138390

So what you're saying is that the journalists are complicit in this event and have entered the crime scene with the explicit reason to falsely contaminate it - so their fingerprints being at the scene raises no suspicion.

Sounds reasonable. :D
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #138438

More journalists are basically animals and can't be afforded the same level of trust given to any human being above a meth addict.
LiamLime

Post by LiamLime » #138440

Nooo, see, journalists perform an amazing public service by providing objective and incorruptible information to the public. If we had no journalists, we'd have no democracy! :D
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #138447

Wow wise fellow you are right all we need is to get rid of democracy and the journalists will go away.
LiamLime

Post by LiamLime » #138457

Exactly!
rdght91

Post by rdght91 » #138653

Malkevin wrote:RT's pretty good, as long as its not about GLORIOUS MOTHER RUSSIA
Are you fucking serious? RT spouts conspiracy memes and is very literally the mouthpiece of Putin.
XSI

Post by XSI » #138657

How is that any different from Fox news? (Fox actually does run decent stories sometimes)

Or any better than BBC? (No, not Big Black Cock, but they may as well be)
Or really almost any western media?
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #138660

Well RT might convince you the wasp people laid eggs in your anus as punishment for warmongering.
1g88a
Byond Username: Ig88A

Post by 1g88a » #138719

XSI wrote:How is that any different from Fox news? (Fox actually does run decent stories sometimes)

Or any better than BBC? (No, not Big Black Cock, but they may as well be)
Or really almost any western media?
Fox/BBC and most 'western' media tends to get their biases in through tone and implications that are geared towards their target audiences. Or by having talking heads give their opinions on things.

RT on the other hand put out 'documentaries' about MH17 trying to paint the incident as a Ukrainian SU-25 ground attack aircraft shooting down the airliner with its gun/small air-to-air missiles.

I guess what I mean is that they both go try to achieve similar goals through very different methods. Western media lies by twisting facts/toying with emotions/rhetoric while Russian media tends to lie by saying "Fuck you, It wasn't me, prove it, it was you actually just look at the half dozen conflicting stories I pulled out of my ass, and if it was me then fuck you anyways I was in the right to do it, it was self-defense, what are you gonna do about it?." ad infinitum
DEAD: ADMIN(Hornygranny) says, "you play in my universe, normie"
XSI

Post by XSI » #138766

Yeah, pretty much
People are sick and tired of the crap western media pulls with their bias, so they see that as a breath of fresh air
Still biased though

http://dailysignal.com/2014/06/22/vote- ... ews-media/
Also this. Old thing, but it explains a bit
rdght91

Post by rdght91 » #138787

Even Fox is a bastion of journalistic integrity compared to RT. But yes, various outlets make implications and twist narratives to various extents. RT on the other hand straight up will be like "NO RUSSIAN TROOPS ACTUALLY IN UKRAINE, MORE ON ELABORATE UKRAINIAN GOVERNMENT STAGED INVASION AT 11."
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays
Byond Username: DrPillzRedux

Post by DrPillzRedux » #138950

Guy with a CCW permit stopped someone trying to commit a mass shooting.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/loca ... story.html
thot_slayer wrote:don't be a degenerate online if you don't want people to treat you like a degenerate morty
bandit wrote:what is this

a correct post by pillz
Takeguru

Post by Takeguru » #138952

I'm surprised it even hit the news.
Can't put gun owners in a positive light ever nope they're all awful people
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #138956

Holy shit, its an uber driver too.
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #138965

If he had been any color that isn't white it would be a hilArious trifecta.
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #139072

Well that's rare. Lucky hero.
Snake2512
Byond Username: Snake2512

Post by Snake2512 » #139168

Incomptinence wrote:Well that's rare. Lucky hero.
It isn't rare in America though. Firearms are the way lads.
4:08 PM - Maccus: you touched me as a kid remember
invisty
Byond Username: Invisty

Post by invisty » #139176

Mime: Depresso
Takeguru

Post by Takeguru » #139202

Anything involving at least 4 victims is a "mass" shooting
This includes the gunman.