Jobs/Work

Talk about non-ss13 stuff here.
Lovecraft
Byond Username: Rabukurafuto

Jobs/Work

Post by Lovecraft » #9998

Jobs are important!
Depending on your situation, they may even be vital!

Have any funny job stories?
What's the field you're looking to get into?
What jobs have you had?

I worked in a factory job when I was in highschool for extra dosh, but now that I'm attending school to be a speech-language pathologist I'm woefully unemployed no longer a wage slave!
Friendly reminder that you are beautiful and this server would be nothing without your continued support
I play August Finster, a suave midget with a grudge, as well as Francis Heart, the naked guitarist of the Cosmos.
Spoiler:
Nobody is worthless. PM me anytime to talk.
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Re: Jobs/Work

Post by Ikarrus » #9999

I used to work as a cashier in a supermarket for three years. That was fun (No it was not). I was there long enough to start taking shifts at the Customer Service desk as the Head Cashier aka the "Stand around looking pretty" job. Customers can be a pain but it's nice how the managers always got your back.

I also used to work cleaning tables for my dad in a buffet restaurant he owned. It was probably not exactly legal for me to work as many hours as I did at the age I was back then, but I at least made mad dosh with my ridiculously high hourly wage.

Some years ago I made a deal with Valve which eventually led me to where I am now, sitting around all day making video games before going home to sit around all night playing video games.

I'm actually amazed I've been somehow able to keep as thin and healthy as I have.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #10013

I did work experience in the IT department of a local furniture company.

My boss regularly encouraged the pirating of software.

My "payment" at the end of it was a disk with "Hiren's Boot CD" burned onto it.
Hiren's boot CD let's you install versions of windows, debug things, boot to OS's and NUKE an architecture
One of my tasks there was designing the art for their CDs.
I actually think they still use my design! which is just SAD.

So yeah, not entirely legal.
私は完璧
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #10038

TBH, hiren's boot CD is fucking great for handling massive issues with a computer.
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #10062

I am in a call center doing tech support for an ISP.
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Psyentific
Byond Username: Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #10068

I get $1500/month and I don't even have a job. #NEETLife
I haven't logged into SS13 in at least a year.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #10106

how many limbs did you ahve to lose for that
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #10108

Exactly one fathers worth. It wasn't anywhere close to worth it.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #10112

I am sorry for your loss, my mother died but I have too many siblings for the dosh to be a substantial emotional buffer
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #10113

With your dead mother and my dead father, together, we form BATMAN!
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #10114

Anyway I am a mortician's assistant and it's pretty good/interesting work, AMA.
Munchlax
Byond Username: Lobstercake

Post by Munchlax » #10130

I work at a grocerystore and it blows ass.
srifenbyxp
Byond Username: Srifenbyxp

Post by srifenbyxp » #10156

geilebeer wrote:I work at a grocerystore and it blows ass.
GOOD SIR, you seem to be dissatisfied with your current occupation! Become a real redshirt and work security! Easy job, easy (big?)money, and the girls smile and wave when you walk around with COLD STEEL attached to yer hip.
Last edited by srifenbyxp on Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
To be robust is not about combat prowess, it is the state of readiness for the situation at hand.
Munchlax

Post by Munchlax » #10174

Funnily enough I'm working on it.
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #10235

iamgoofball wrote:TBH, hiren's boot CD is fucking great for handling massive issues with a computer.
Hiren's is the shit.

I work at Best Buy as a computer sales associate. Best job ever.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #10246

How does it feel to scam people daily for shitty prebuilt junk?
Mr Wondrous
Rarely plays

Post by Mr Wondrous » #10453

Underground fighting ring not even kidding
Full time student otherwise
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #10888

Mr Wondrous wrote:Underground fighting ring not even kidding
Full time student otherwise
> Steve Erwin

NEVER FORGET

I'm a full time student because if I don't do it now Tony Abbott will drown me in US levels of debt.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #10920

paprika wrote:How does it feel to scam people daily for shitty prebuilt junk?
Super fucking awesome actually

Fun fact: our prices on laptops are the lowest in the industry, to the point of us taking a loss from time to time

I had a little girl hug me once for helping set up her iPod. The look on her face made my fucking day.

I love my job. I actually have FUN at work. I don't know many who can say that.

Tl;dr shut it
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #10921

now imagine your customers being completely pissed off when they realized you sold them overpriced junk a half a year down the line when they're paying for expensive repairs
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #10927

paprika wrote:now imagine your customers being completely pissed off when they realized you sold them overpriced junk a half a year down the line when they're paying for expensive repairs
*shrug, haven't had anyone in from October yet. To be honest everything we sell at our store is pretty high quality.
Spoiler:

TheTerbs
In Game PermaBanned

Post by TheTerbs » #10929

The airport is hiring over here
Last edited by TheTerbs on Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
you're gonna carry that weight
Skorvold
Byond Username: Skorvold

Post by Skorvold » #10973

iamgoofball wrote:TBH, hiren's boot CD is fucking great for handling massive issues with a computer.
Hiren's is a fucking amazing tool.
Never give up! Trust your instincts!
Spoiler:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/skorvold
Talk to me on steam anytime.
Mr Wondrous
Rarely plays

Post by Mr Wondrous » #11070

The best buy in my area is really shitty and charges a solid 20-50 bucks more for stuff than the online prices on top of having a shitty selection, I rarely shop there but there's no real tech stores around here so I get most of my hardware from newegg

The geek squad people there are pretty cool even though it's geek squad.
Braindude

Post by Braindude » #11074

I work in a hotel. I man the frontdesk starting at 5 PM (this is why I am on the internet all day errday), I get replaced at midnight and I go cook pastries, make fresh bread, refill the orange juice/hot drinks machine for morning breakfast until like 3 AM then I go man the front desk some more. At 5 AM I cook the bacon and eggs (early birds get the freshest, best ones. When the bacon and eggs get cold we throw them in the pan and make them sizzle for like 10 minutes, in case this is how it works in other hotels, wake up early so you get the best bacon & eggs.). then I go home at 6AM. Pretty cool, easy job and we fuck around for most of the night when nobody comes in anyway
I play apple ringer

Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #11116

The security guards at my old supermarket job were usually scrawny old immigrants that don't do much except be an extra set of eyes. The assistant managers are the real muscle and is probably one of the reasons why most of them were built like bouncers. The exception was the 60-yo store manager, whom I probably see more often than I should race down from his office to tackle a shoplifter running out of the store. It's usually for something stupid like a carton of juice, but they get dragged into the backroom until police arrive.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #11217

Mr Wondrous wrote:The best buy in my area is really shitty and charges a solid 20-50 bucks more for stuff than the online prices on top of having a shitty selection, I rarely shop there but there's no real tech stores around here so I get most of my hardware from newegg

The geek squad people there are pretty cool even though it's geek squad.
We price match. As long as its not a third party seller (ie Amazon has to sell and ship it) we can match it.
Spoiler:

Alexander De'Foe
Byond Username: Murakame

Post by Alexander De'Foe » #16546

My two employers just went to jail last week.

I need a new occupation. Anybody in America on the South-East need to buy a gun. I have a selection of pistols mainly and am expecting to own a Mosin Nagant by next week. Maybe a throw away pistol for what ever reason that you should keep to yourself.
♣-Having a gun and thinking you can shoot, is like buying a piano and believing you're a musician.
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays
Byond Username: DrPillzRedux

Post by DrPillzRedux » #16552

EMT working towards my Paramedic cert.
thot_slayer wrote:don't be a degenerate online if you don't want people to treat you like a degenerate morty
bandit wrote:what is this

a correct post by pillz
Lovecraft

Post by Lovecraft » #16592

I was going to apply for a job at a comic book store, but I foresaw fat neck neck arguments and creepy men ogling the merchandise.
I now work at a comic book store and have gotten in only two fights so far. One over the Unfunnies and the other about New 52.
Friendly reminder that you are beautiful and this server would be nothing without your continued support
I play August Finster, a suave midget with a grudge, as well as Francis Heart, the naked guitarist of the Cosmos.
Spoiler:
ColonicAcid
Byond Username: ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #16655

Alexander De'Foe wrote:My two employers just went to jail last week.

I need a new occupation. Anybody in America on the South-East need to buy a gun. I have a selection of pistols mainly and am expecting to own a Mosin Nagant by next week. Maybe a throw away pistol for what ever reason that you should keep to yourself.
Listen man I know you love your guns but when you're jobless carrying on buying guns isn't the way to go.
Save up that shit don't mindlessly spend on useless tat such as guns, you'll be thanking that you kept it. A gun can't pay for food (legally of course.) or pay your rent.
crack is whack but smacks got your back
Alexander De'Foe

Post by Alexander De'Foe » #16658

ColonicAcid wrote:
Alexander De'Foe wrote:My two employers just went to jail last week.

Listen man I know you love your guns but when you're jobless carrying on buying guns isn't the way to go.
Save up that shit don't mindlessly spend on useless tat such as guns, you'll be thanking that you kept it. A gun can't pay for food (legally of course.) or pay your rent.
It's been a while Colonic. I know your being truthful, but the Mosin was already prepaid for about three weeks ago before the incident. And that's why I am selling. I know your not being a asshole, your alright, but that's the short recent unexpected dilemma in my life.
♣-Having a gun and thinking you can shoot, is like buying a piano and believing you're a musician.
ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #16660

Alright then, take care of yourself though, not having a stable income can be a bitch and a half.
Alexander De'Foe

Post by Alexander De'Foe » #16661

Thanks Colonic. I'm not exactly swimming in money but where there is a demand, there is a system for profitable revenue.
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays
Byond Username: DrPillzRedux

Post by DrPillzRedux » #16707

What kind of mosin? Tula, Izzy, dragoon, wat?
thot_slayer wrote:don't be a degenerate online if you don't want people to treat you like a degenerate morty
bandit wrote:what is this

a correct post by pillz
TheTerbs
In Game PermaBanned

Post by TheTerbs » #16719

Stopped going to my second job 5am is just ridiculous

Think I'm gonna start breaking into cars again
you're gonna carry that weight
srifenbyxp
Byond Username: Srifenbyxp

Post by srifenbyxp » #16952

Once on a afternoon shift at work, as I patrolled the second floor of my property two young lasses came into view. It was at this I smiled and wave at the fine ladies. They both stopped and immediately halted me to engage in conversation. My ego rises by the sentences, dressed in a simple cotton security shirt, radio on my person along with sun glasses and a ear piece to boot I couldnt help but to cross my arms and lean against the wall smiling asking the women, "how can I help you this fine afternoon misses?"

Both girls were a 7/10, within bare minimum standards, the entire encounter was amusing at best. We conversed of which soon afterwards we walked from one point of the second floor to the other side, I quickly noticed that both girls (or at least I think the second one was) into femdom. As i spotted a studded collar around the neck of her slightly taller frame.

The shorter girl openly admitted that she and her friend had tried to make this conversation embarrassing, stating their fetishes such as strap-ons, candle waxing, leashes, face sitting and the works; hell they even invited me to join them. Given no quarter I kept my demeanor chilled, face stilled, all as if my heart was made of a block of ice I could not be shaken. NO SIR NONE THE LEASE SHALL I BE SHAKEN I had replied to the shorter girl a witty remark, "simple fetishes like what you and your have will make a normal man tongue tied but I am far from normal." They giggled and agreed, I walked them to the stair well of this out door mall and bid them farewell but not without removing my sunglasses in a calm fashion along with raising my eyebrows in a "Oh ho?" esque manner.
I then put my sun blockers on, pondering to myself, "God dam, those were the strangest bitches I have ever had the displeasure of talking to."

Yes this all happened and I tell it with great detail for this was fucking hilariously creepy.
To be robust is not about combat prowess, it is the state of readiness for the situation at hand.
Alexander De'Foe

Post by Alexander De'Foe » #16975

Better than what I deal with. At least you aren't shot at on what seems to be a mothly basis and not threatened with a meat clever by your boss.
ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #16985

srifenbyxp wrote:Once on a afternoon shift at work, as I patrolled the second floor of my property two young lasses came into view. It was at this I smiled and wave at the fine ladies. They both stopped and immediately halted me to engage in conversation. My ego rises by the sentences, dressed in a simple cotton security shirt, radio on my person along with sun glasses and a ear piece to boot I couldnt help but to cross my arms and lean against the wall smiling asking the women, "how can I help you this fine afternoon misses?"

Both girls were a 7/10, within bare minimum standards, the entire encounter was amusing at best. We conversed of which soon afterwards we walked from one point of the second floor to the other side, I quickly noticed that both girls (or at least I think the second one was) into femdom. As i spotted a studded collar around the neck of her slightly taller frame.

The shorter girl openly admitted that she and her friend had tried to make this conversation embarrassing, stating their fetishes such as strap-ons, candle waxing, leashes, face sitting and the works; hell they even invited me to join them. Given no quarter I kept my demeanor chilled, face stilled, all as if my heart was made of a block of ice I could not be shaken. NO SIR NONE THE LEASE SHALL I BE SHAKEN I had replied to the shorter girl a witty remark, "simple fetishes like what you and your have will make a normal man tongue tied but I am far from normal." They giggled and agreed, I walked them to the stair well of this out door mall and bid them farewell but not without removing my sunglasses in a calm fashion along with raising my eyebrows in a "Oh ho?" esque manner.
I then put my sun blockers on, pondering to myself, "God dam, those were the strangest bitches I have ever had the displeasure of talking to."

Yes this all happened and I tell it with great detail for this was fucking hilariously creepy.
you should've taken out your taser and blown into it and walked into the sunset goddamn
Mandurrrh

Post by Mandurrrh » #17303

I feel like I've worked so many of these jobs. I did geeksquad.(best buy was a lot of fun) I did IT/helpdesk for an isp.(I still get free cable/internet bc employee account was never removed) I bartended for about ten years on and off. I was a gogo dancer at an after hours club in grad school.

I now have my own store that has nothing to do with either of my degrees whatsoever. Life.
Munchlax

Post by Munchlax » #17321

arent you like 16
Mandurrrh

Post by Mandurrrh » #17324

geilebeer wrote:arent you like 16
Me? I'm 27.
Munchlax

Post by Munchlax » #17337

okay
Lovecraft

Post by Lovecraft » #17338

Hi Grandma
Spoiler:
ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #17339

you qualify to be a granpa/grandma when you're over 30.
look @ anon
Mandurrrh

Post by Mandurrrh » #17340

Lovecraft wrote:Hi Grandma
I just baked cookies too....
Alzam
Byond Username: Alzam

Post by Alzam » #17356

I got certified as a pharmacy technician out of highschool, which was the biggest waste of time and money in my life, was unable to find a job that didn't involve working for 6-8 months as an unpaid intern, which I flat out could not afford to do. So I worked as the electronics guy in a target for a while (I was promised a job in the pharmacy eventually. Surprise, it never happened) It sucked really fucking hard and I would routinely be scheduled till 10 and not clock out till 12 or 1 because having 4 people close a gigantic super target to save money is a great idea and not awful. You needed to work 40 hours a week to get benefits, guess how much I got scheduled? 39.5. Yeah fuck you Target. I was also constantly slammed for not selling enough despite us being right next to a gamestop and bestbuy so my station was basically dead outside christmas or new game releases. I ended up walking out on the job a few months ago and I've never been happier. I decided buckled down and am going back to college though and am currently in a government sponsored computer forensics program which guarantees me a job as well as a certification as a private investigator (which is weird but cool I guess). Currently working cashier at a hippie grocery store to pay the bills till then. I feel kind of embarrassed working an entry level job at 23 but everyone thinks I'm 16 or 17 so that helps I guess. (God bless genetics)
Alexander De'Foe

Post by Alexander De'Foe » #17432

It's official, after my two employers went to jail and some other stuff, I decided to schedule a meeting tomorrow and am going to explain the details and pull out.

I quit.

My colleague who is also my only friend is now imprisoned and my employers went too. My employers are somehow out in less than a week and I have absolutely no clue when V is getting out, but he's keeping quiet. I don't know what I'm going to do anymore, fuck me. I only have so much cash that I can spend now.
Thunder11
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Thunder12345
Github Username: Thunder12345

Post by Thunder11 » #17506

Mandurrrh wrote:
Lovecraft wrote:Hi Grandma
I just baked cookies too....
ImageImage
Spoiler:
IcePacks wrote:
MrFoster wrote:Back in my day, we didn't complain about lag! We used it to queue attacks!
That's thinking on your feet, soldier!
Quality Paprika from #coderbus wrote:[11:35.52] <paprika> holy crap so yeah i don't care about your opinion at all
oranges wrote:
Excuse me? Thats for sensible and calm rational debate, not for senseless whining.
Resident Catmin, please direct catposting to: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=5578
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #17672

At work on what I've decided to call arbitrarily "Fuck the King Day" for this one time only.
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med