2k17 /pol/

Talk about non-ss13 stuff here.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Re: 2k17 /pol/

Post by ShadowDimentio » #320962

Bottom post of the previous page:

>How do we get Mexico to pay for it

Not all at once you idiot, by sticking a small tax on Mexican goods then it'll slowly earn back the money for the wall.

>Comparing the wall and transgender surgeries

I already said they're incomparable. One is a public works project for the entire country and the other is a personal medical procedure for a miniscule group of people.

You're trying to look at the price tag of a hamburger and a car and compare the two as one being better than the other because it costs less. Stop.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
starmute
Byond Username: Starmute

Post by starmute » #320964

ShadowDimentio wrote:>How do we get Mexico to pay for it

Not all at once you idiot, by sticking a small tax on Mexican goods then it'll slowly earn back the money for the wall.

>Comparing the wall and transgender surgeries

I already said they're incomparable. One is a public works project for the entire country and the other is a personal medical procedure for a miniscule group of people.

You're trying to look at the price tag of a hamburger and a car and compare the two as one being better than the other because it costs less. Stop.
That causes a tariff war. We raise ours, Mexico raises theirs. Eventually Mexico will look elsewhere for goods because they are cheaper where they aren't being tariffed and American companies lose business with Mexicans.

Both are expenditures. And yes I am comparing a car and a burger. The man is figuratively complaining about the cost of a burger while buying a car. The sad fact is the car probably won't even work. Also the money isn't his money. Its my money. (And your money).

Not to mention the wall is useless due to economic necessity. To put it bluntly if the farmers don't have a underclass to exploit then you won't be able to get your tomatoes, wheat or anything else at a decent price. Even if we could police our borders effectively so no illegal immigrant gets in (and we can't) our prices would shoot up and places like Walmart or wherever would be buying food abroad at cheap prices instead of from our local farmers (thus wrecking our economy more).

Look I can go into detail but really the facts speak for themselves. This is a big vanity project and I doubt the future generations will want it due to the excessive amount of money it costs to maintain.

Is there a solution to our immigration situation: Not really, peopel don't want to work for dirt cheap and farmers have to keep pace with economic conditions everywhere not just here. However throwing money into a big stack and burning it doesn't help.

For more information on Immigrants and the effect of illegals on our economy here's a great study to read. I can list about 20 more but this one is done by the National Academy of Engineering, Science and Medicine.
https://www.nap.edu/read/23550/chapter/1
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #320967

The great wall of merka would have maintenance, interest on debts from initial expenditure and staff costs putting a WEE BABY TARIFF on Mexico is not a reasonable way to pay it off.

I swear this is like when some bible thumpers built that scale arc. IT'S ALL GONNA PAY ITSELF OFF EVERY CHRISTIAN IN THE WORLD WILL COME!

Face facts and just pay for your pyramids, neglecting useful infrastructure in the process and tempting national decline.

Edit: oh forgot your libertarian shitbrains hate tariffs on principle cuzz MUH FREE MARKET so even if you do get a tariff past these walking vegetables it will quickly be stuck down in fine print of a random trade deal or some shit or hounded down by corporate whore zombies like net neutrality.
starmute

Post by starmute » #320968

Incomptinence wrote:The great wall of merka would have maintenance, interest on debts from initial expenditure and staff costs putting a WEE BABY TARIFF is not a reasonable way to pay it off.
Tarriffs don't work.
Example: The china tariff done under the Obama administration with tires. If you create a tariff then someone else will just move in to fill the gap. If they can't buy from country a then they will buy from country b. Or they will buy country a's goods from country c if they are still cheaper.
XSI
Byond Username: XSI

Post by XSI » #320971

The way I heard it-
The wall is paid for by Mexico because they'll kick out the illegals and then they won't send money back to Mexico anymore
Also by deporting all the illegals in general. Turns out the wall's costs is only a fraction of the costs illegals take in welfare and healthcare every year. Though the majority of them arrive through legal visas and then just overstay them
Of course, in order to deport them all and save money, he's increasing funding to the people who are supposed to kick them out

And then lets mention Trump's resort asking for H1Bs for such hard to fill jobs like...Waitresses, cleaning staff, and cooks.
So he may be sending some mixed messages. Especially since H1Bs are just as destructive to the job market as illegals are.
starmute

Post by starmute » #320974

XSI wrote:The way I heard it-
The wall is paid for by Mexico because they'll kick out the illegals and then they won't send money back to Mexico anymore
Also by deporting all the illegals in general. Turns out the wall's costs is only a fraction of the costs illegals take in welfare and healthcare every year. Though the majority of them arrive through legal visas and then just overstay them
Of course, in order to deport them all and save money, he's increasing funding to the people who are supposed to kick them out

And then lets mention Trump's resort asking for H1Bs for such hard to fill jobs like...Waitresses, cleaning staff, and cooks.
So he may be sending some mixed messages. Especially since H1Bs are just as destructive to the job market as illegals are.
Read the study I linked. Immigrants 's start up businesses and other things. They contribute to the economy by buying American products and spending money while they are here. IE you have to spend money on food, clothing, necessities of life.

Not to mention if the opportunity is there people will risk life and limb to make a buck. Who else is going to work for $5.00 a day on the farm picking tomatoes in the hot sun?
XSI

Post by XSI » #320990

The thing there is that yeah. They buy things, they spend money and this gets the economy going

How do they get that money? By working illegally or welfare.
Welfare comes from the taxes, so through that they are a net negative for certain. Your linked study shows that they make use of welfare far more than the native population. Every single one of these is clearly not helping the economy as they do not make enough money working to support themselves.
And if they work, they are pushing down the wages for the natives by simple supply and demand. Your study assumes they spend all their money in the united states, which would give a net positive in total for the state income. Mention appears made of them sending the money to family in mexico, not an uncommon thing, and it accepts that it is a negative and this could throw off the balance but has not been properly studied(One study in Germany, where the remittance numbers are low).
Aside from that, wages decline for natives as mentioned in that same study. This is a strong negative even if the immigrants are self-sustaining.
The only positive that is actually true is when they start a business. Most of them don't do that however, just as most natives don't start businesses.

As for the H1B's, to quote that same study,
(...) high-skilled immigration had adverse effect on the wages or productivity of these high-skilled natives.
Even if they are used purely for high skill jobs, and not waitresses, cleaning staff, etc as mentioned in my post, they still are a negative to the natives.

Mention is made of the effect they have on prices for housing and consumer products, showing that their effects are, quote
(...) the overall (net) effect on economic well-being is negative for some and positive for others
Previously, it specifically stated that the wealthiest had all the positive effects- As they could buy landscaping services and similar for cheap.

At the same time,
A decline in household formation is consistent with a delay in family formation, but it can also signal increased doubling up of individuals in shared housing who otherwise would have lived in separate units. The failure to increase occupancy of more housing units has its greatest impact on the construction industry, which tends to be sensitive to the business cycle.
Immigrants have accounted for roughly one-third of household formations during the last two decades. In the decade of 2000-2010
Ottaviano and Peri (2005) and Saiz (2003, 2007) found that the price of housing in metropolitan areas was systematically positively correlated with immigration.
Once again, this is great for the rich who own a lot of real estate, and sucks for pretty much everyone else. What's more, your study implies that immigrants not only increases housing(And thus rent) prices, but this increase in price is also noticeable and may be causing people to put off and delay making families. Not directly related to the economy, but it is an interesting note. Remove immigrants and reduce housing prices, and we might be able to push the birthrate up again so that the age old "We need immigrants because natives don't have kids" argument can be retired, as terrible an argument as it always was anyway.
Not to mention if the opportunity is there people will risk life and limb to make a buck. Who else is going to work for $5.00 a day on the farm picking tomatoes in the hot sun?
Didn't you guys ship in black people for that? I thought the world was past that by now.
Well, except the muslim countries, there's still slaves in Saudi land and Dubai, but that's to be expected from a people who are mentally stuck in pre-medieval times.

(Also if nobody does it, wages and/or benefits will go up until someone accepts the job. If nobody can be found even with increased wages, then maybe the business wasn't run well enough to survive. That's the free market)

In short, from what I can see in your study, immigrants are a net negative in all economic aspects for the natives with the exception being the wealthy, who profit from having more peasants to look down at like always.
It does not go into moral or cultural effects, but people who break the law knowingly and then refuse to adapt to the culture are not in any way shape of form a positive for those either.
America- Build that wall and send them home
Or probably don't, because you're ruled by what is essentially the bad guys in communist political cartoons and they're the ones who profit from having more people there.
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays
Byond Username: DrPillzRedux

Post by DrPillzRedux » #320991

>all these people bitching about the wall cost

It's a couple billion. Given the incredibly lower amount of illegal immigrants coming in now, the amount of gibmedats and worthless agencies cut, and the influx of jobs, a couple billion is nothing. I will gladly pay taxes to that instead of funding Tyrone/Jose's gibmedats.
thot_slayer wrote:don't be a degenerate online if you don't want people to treat you like a degenerate morty
bandit wrote:what is this

a correct post by pillz
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #320993

Paying taxes is unpatriotic.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #320996

Its not just a lump of solid concrete in the desert either, there's actual architectural work considered for it in the case of lining it with solar panels etc.

Besides anti-wall protestors are probably more mad that less illegal immigrants (some of them criminals) will go to prison as result of the wall's projected fear factor & practical effect of physically stopping people crossing over because there's a entire sector in that area of profiteering detainment facilities that literally have strict quotas of how many people should be submitted to a state a month and then other legal bodies fine states that don't contribute enough convicts.

Import sometimes really really shitty benefit grabbing immigrants that collectively hide in sanctuary cities run by virtue-signalling "benevolent" mayors illegally so you don't get fined for not arresting so many people a month with the natural spike in crime and the jail makes money off the back of overflowing jails.

I think the current situation of importing immigrants to solve economic problems is literally a veiled form of slavery, that makes liberal use of loopholes to identify them as free workers but puts them in a state of vulnerability that people capitalize on.

Spoiler:
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #320999

Paying taxes is patriotic when it goes to an actual good cause, not housing some guy with the IQ of a monkey who has 10 kids.

The Federal benefits system was ripe with abuse. Not just nigga's buying iphones and Jordan's, but people submitting manipulated paystubs to get benefits. Do it once, get it for a whole year.

Also, fuck McCain. That RINO piece of trash needs to croak already. Instead of allowing the vote on the healthcare proposal tonight, which was only being voted on to allow a blank sheet of paper for the senate to actually put together something, he shoots it down to fire at Trump and Rand, then goes over to laugh with the democrats. I sure love my current healthcare! $2000 deductible for emergency, and then they cover 60% of the rest. Before Obamacare it was $600 deductible for 100% coverage.
thot_slayer wrote:don't be a degenerate online if you don't want people to treat you like a degenerate morty

a correct post by pillz
starmute

Post by starmute » #321007

Spoiler:
XSI wrote:The thing there is that yeah. They buy things, they spend money and this gets the economy going

How do they get that money? By working illegally or welfare.
Welfare comes from the taxes, so through that they are a net negative for certain. Your linked study shows that they make use of welfare far more than the native population. Every single one of these is clearly not helping the economy as they do not make enough money working to support themselves.
And if they work, they are pushing down the wages for the natives by simple supply and demand. Your study assumes they spend all their money in the united states, which would give a net positive in total for the state income. Mention appears made of them sending the money to family in mexico, not an uncommon thing, and it accepts that it is a negative and this could throw off the balance but has not been properly studied(One study in Germany, where the remittance numbers are low).
Aside from that, wages decline for natives as mentioned in that same study. This is a strong negative even if the immigrants are self-sustaining.
The only positive that is actually true is when they start a business. Most of them don't do that however, just as most natives don't start businesses.

As for the H1B's, to quote that same study,
(...) high-skilled immigration had adverse effect on the wages or productivity of these high-skilled natives.
Even if they are used purely for high skill jobs, and not waitresses, cleaning staff, etc as mentioned in my post, they still are a negative to the natives.

Mention is made of the effect they have on prices for housing and consumer products, showing that their effects are, quote
(...) the overall (net) effect on economic well-being is negative for some and positive for others
Previously, it specifically stated that the wealthiest had all the positive effects- As they could buy landscaping services and similar for cheap.

At the same time,
A decline in household formation is consistent with a delay in family formation, but it can also signal increased doubling up of individuals in shared housing who otherwise would have lived in separate units. The failure to increase occupancy of more housing units has its greatest impact on the construction industry, which tends to be sensitive to the business cycle.
Immigrants have accounted for roughly one-third of household formations during the last two decades. In the decade of 2000-2010
Ottaviano and Peri (2005) and Saiz (2003, 2007) found that the price of housing in metropolitan areas was systematically positively correlated with immigration.
Once again, this is great for the rich who own a lot of real estate, and sucks for pretty much everyone else. What's more, your study implies that immigrants not only increases housing(And thus rent) prices, but this increase in price is also noticeable and may be causing people to put off and delay making families. Not directly related to the economy, but it is an interesting note. Remove immigrants and reduce housing prices, and we might be able to push the birthrate up again so that the age old "We need immigrants because natives don't have kids" argument can be retired, as terrible an argument as it always was anyway.
Didn't you guys ship in black people for that? I thought the world was past that by now.
Well, except the muslim countries, there's still slaves in Saudi land and Dubai, but that's to be expected from a people who are mentally stuck in pre-medieval times.

(Also if nobody does it, wages and/or benefits will go up until someone accepts the job. If nobody can be found even with increased wages, then maybe the business wasn't run well enough to survive. That's the free market)

In short, from what I can see in your study, immigrants are a net negative in all economic aspects for the natives with the exception being the wealthy, who profit from having more peasants to look down at like always.
It does not go into moral or cultural effects, but people who break the law knowingly and then refuse to adapt to the culture are not in any way shape of form a positive for those either.
America- Build that wall and send them home
Or probably don't, because you're ruled by what is essentially the bad guys in communist political cartoons and they're the ones who profit from having more people there.

Alright lets do this.

See here's the problem: its called "Free trade". It all intermingles.

A country like China with a vastly different social structure than the US can trade with the United States. This affects every citizen from the highest to the lowest. Different products are shipped to China and some are shipped to the US. Regardless of morality and what workers "should be paid" market forces dictate what we pay people. This affects prices. So if is easier to raise cattle in the United States and the amount of technical labor is low then steaks will be cheap in the United States, whereas in a place like Greenland the price of steak would be rather high.

What does this have to do with our previous discussion? Stay with me. Overseas and in many countries like Mexico the price of labor is cheap. There is a massive income disparity and people do seek to exploit that here. HOWEVER everyone from the highest to the lowest profit from the cheap labor. Ever wonder why your taco bell food is 99 cents?

The argument
XSI wrote: "(Also if nobody does it, wages and/or benefits will go up until someone accepts the job. If nobody can be found even with increased wages, then maybe the business wasn't run well enough to survive. That's the free market)"
Doesn't actually apply. If we all the sudden throw out all the immigrants and raise the minimum wage of farm workers to $11 a hour nobody would buy the food due to the cost. They would simply buy the food from somewhere else. [clown] (Also stop seizing the means of production honk honk)[/clown] That aside having a effective force that actively searches for illegals would be rather expensive.

Although the benefits of immigrants may seem like they only work for the rich they indirectly affect the poor as well.

Alright now to more of the meat
but this increase in price is also noticeable and may be causing people to put off and delay making families.
Not a bad thing. Overpopulation is bad.
Offset by the fact that the prices of everything go down. Your dollar is worth more due to the hard working immigrant in America who helps farmers keep their farms and the bottom line low.

Even if you could stop every immigrant (and you can't) you'd kill the economy. With demand remaining the same, labor costs going up and production going down you'd create a domino effect.

The great wall protected China from being invaded by the mongols. Hadrians wall kept Saxons from invading the Romans. The berlin wall kept capitalism away from communism.

As far as welfare goes... I'm pretty sure you need a social security card to get welfare. My parents are in their Seventies and they have a hard enough time. I don't know how welfare works in your country. Its a topic that's widely debated (despite bad debunked research by the CIS)

Here's another suggestion for you. Watch penn and teller's season 5 episode 6. They actually talk about the proposed wall. In theory it adds 3 minutes to the travel time of immigrants. Of course they built a section of the proposed wall and hired illegal immigrants to build it (and then defeat it).
starmute

Post by starmute » #321024

CosmicScientist wrote:
starmute wrote:
but this increase in price is also noticeable and may be causing people to put off and delay making families.

I've dumped a lot of information so I'll skip onto my real point right now.
>Hadrian's wall
>keeping out the Saxons
>Saxons
I didn't know the Picts were actually Germans.
Spoiler:
If I recall my poor education on ye olden dark ages that comes from children's books and vidja garmes, the Scots were called Picts (for some reason) before I think the Irish visited/settled/mingled in the Southern, more civilised parts. After the Romans left, the Angles were all "Shit, we haven't got anyone to protect us and we've grown soft under an imperial yoke, enough so to forget woad, using severed heads as a throwing weapon and Boadicea's chariots" so hired some north western Germans called Saxons (Saxony seems to have migrated around Germany in a clockwise fashion, DemonFiren may know more but I know little of my county, let alone a neighbouring city and Germany I hear has even more regional cultural isolation than even pre-modern, homogeneous England) who decided "Why not stick around the rich sods on a quiet island?" (it may have been different and violent, again, I have no formal education) and mingled with Anglican culture to create the Anglo-Saxons.

I don't know if this is more of a naming convention based on historian bias (I somehow doubt there's ever not personal and cultural bias in recording history, more so when there's few people to read and write, let alone detail what they think is important or even fantasy history) but I thiiiink the Saxons may have been the most accepted cultural invaders we had, if we ignore how the Normans outlawed the death penalty for all but one man and probably improved our financial laws and political makeup.
I have no comment on the other walls besides wondering about how didn't the great wall of China get underfunded at one point due to complacency or other, various political reasons and one of the neighbouring hordes to Ming, Qing or whatever they were at the time came in and wrecked shop?

The idea was that the Saxons invaded England and just avoided the wall. As far as the great wall of china they would either just go over it, or bribe or threaten the guards. It was a good way to throw away raiders but when a real threat came around it was nothing but a scarecrow.
starmute

Post by starmute » #321034

CosmicScientist wrote:but the wall was betwixt Scotland and England?

The Saxons from south of Denmark avoided it?

i'm confused

i need an adult

I AM A ADULT

The idea is that a wall doesn't make people safe. All that effort for naught.
XSI

Post by XSI » #321055

starmute wrote: Alright lets do this.

See here's the problem: its called "Free trade". It all intermingles.

A country like China with a vastly different social structure than the US can trade with the United States. This affects every citizen from the highest to the lowest. Different products are shipped to China and some are shipped to the US. Regardless of morality and what workers "should be paid" market forces dictate what we pay people. This affects prices. So if is easier to raise cattle in the United States and the amount of technical labor is low then steaks will be cheap in the United States, whereas in a place like Greenland the price of steak would be rather high.

What does this have to do with our previous discussion? Stay with me. Overseas and in many countries like Mexico the price of labor is cheap. There is a massive income disparity and people do seek to exploit that here. HOWEVER everyone from the highest to the lowest profit from the cheap labor. Ever wonder why your taco bell food is 99 cents?
It's cheaper because we no longer live in the 1800s, where food shortages makes it so you don't get to have oranges mid-winter, and need thousands of peasants working the fields. Saving maybe 50 cents on shitty fast food is not worth permanently losing some of your wages, and having your country filled up with people who refuse to adapt. (Not even going into the crime rates caused by both individuals and the cartels)
That is just a terrible deal to take and the only ones taking it are the rich, who live in gated communities and don't mind if the rest of the country goes to shit. More on international trade later though
The argument
XSI wrote: "(Also if nobody does it, wages and/or benefits will go up until someone accepts the job. If nobody can be found even with increased wages, then maybe the business wasn't run well enough to survive. That's the free market)"
Doesn't actually apply. If we all the sudden throw out all the immigrants and raise the minimum wage of farm workers to $11 a hour nobody would buy the food due to the cost. They would simply buy the food from somewhere else. [clown] (Also stop seizing the means of production honk honk)[/clown] That aside having a effective force that actively searches for illegals would be rather expensive.

Although the benefits of immigrants may seem like they only work for the rich they indirectly affect the poor as well.
Aside from the part where these farms are clearly not fit for a capitalist system where they have to pay market rates for their labour instead of getting some indentured servants that they can always report to the authorities if they try to ask for a real bed, this is still incorrect. The price of food has not changed dramatically in for example the UK after they allowed the Polish to come and work on the farms thanks to the EU. The only difference is that the workers now live in shit condition and speak with a truly massive amount of z's, y's and s's. The difference has gone to the people owning the farms, not the consumer. And this is a structural problem with any lowered wage costs for industries that people have to buy to survive, so that is healthcare, food, housing costs, electricity, and so on.
More profits for the rich? I don't think that helps the majority of people
Alright now to more of the meat
Not a bad thing. Overpopulation is bad.
I can dedicate an entire post to overpopulation, but I'll single out some specifics just for this topic
1. Overpopulation is a problem in a large part because large amounts of people are immigrating to small spaces. Notably in Europe recently
2. We should then remove immigrants to take the stress off our systems, especially since most of them get much more kids than natives
3. Overpopulation is mostly a problem in India, China, and Africa specifically because they keep having kids when they shouldn't
4. The solution to overpopulation is not to cram everyone into the western world
Offset by the fact that the prices of everything go down. Your dollar is worth more due to the hard working immigrant in America who helps farmers keep their farms and the bottom line low.

Even if you could stop every immigrant (and you can't) you'd kill the economy. With demand remaining the same, labor costs going up and production going down you'd create a domino effect.
Your own study said otherwise. There was no noticeable effect on the produced goods price specifically because of free trade, the goods are being sold at the international scene thanks to technology such as refrigeration and fast transport. Production doesn't happen locally anymore for most things and transport costs are minimal. The only prices they do effect locally are the housing and rent prices, and prices for services that don't require large amounts of skill such as landscaping.
If you stop every immigrant, you piss off the rich because they can't hire one to act as their footrest anymore, but you bring about an era of positive economic growth thanks to the people already there not having to spend a large amount of money on their housing situation, freeing up that money for the economy.
The great wall protected China from being invaded by the mongols. Hadrians wall kept Saxons from invading the Romans. The berlin wall kept capitalism away from communism.
As mentioned, the wall doesn't really do shit for keeping them out of the US. They fly into the country or otherwise arrive legally and then overstay their visa
It makes it harder to sneak back in after they've already been caught once and aren't able to get a new visa though. Assuming the border is actually guarded
The main thing for the wall is the cartels. Even just a small fence in limited locations has had a strong positive impact on stopping cartel crime from passing into the US, a full border wall will force the cartels to either redirect their entire supply chain through more easily stopped and searched vehicles like boats, or stop trying.
Either way, it helps, just not at the thing people want it for.
As far as welfare goes... I'm pretty sure you need a social security card to get welfare. My parents are in their Seventies and they have a hard enough time. I don't know how welfare works in your country. Its a topic that's widely debated (despite bad debunked research by the CIS)
I'm not 100% on your welfare, but I do know that if they have kids in the US, those kids become US citizens, and are therefore entitled to welfare
Which includes whatever is needed to keep them out of poverty, which in turn gets spend on the entire family because you can't have one member of the household out of poverty, and the rest dirt poor.
There's also welfare fraud of them taking a dead person's social security number, or the number of someone living somewhere else. It seems your welfare system is like your political system. Ancient and inefficient, with a sprinkling of mismanagement
CosmicScientist wrote: I'm not digging through XSI's giant quote because jeeesus but I did notice they mentioned something along the lines of taking care of the elderly is why immigration exists today. Overpopulation is bad but the current common consensus meme you find in the Labour/Corbyn/Bernie fanatic UK subleddit is that European countries (UK, Germany, perhaps France and others) have immigration to pay for the elderly/aging population/top heavy population.
I mentioned it in passing as an example of a terrible argument that shouldn't exist and is defeated by the data saying that immigration potentially reduces native population growth, as well as multiple other points
Bringing in more people to pay for the elderly is literally a pyramid scheme and anyone suggesting it should be looked at as if they just shat their pants in public while screaming obscenities

But in summary, the only bad things that happen if you remove immigrants is that the rich get slightly less rich.
Everyone else profits
And the wall is a symbol more than a working tool
(Also >Implying the wall will do anything whenever an illegal immigrant-friendly president takes over eventually and executive orders them to not arrest people climbing the thing. Give it maybe 4-8 years depending on how much Trump fucks up)
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #321092

starmute wrote:Not to mention the wall is useless due to economic necessity. To put it bluntly if the farmers don't have a underclass to exploit then you won't be able to get your tomatoes, wheat or anything else at a decent price. Even if we could police our borders effectively so no illegal immigrant gets in (and we can't) our prices would shoot up and places like Walmart or wherever would be buying food abroad at cheap prices instead of from our local farmers (thus wrecking our economy more).
So wait, the wall is bad because it prevents an underclass from being subjected to incredibly poor nigh slavery era conditions? That's... an incredibly strange thing to advocate for my dude.

Anyways the "THE WALL WON'T KEEP EVERYONE OUT LMAO WHAT ARE BOATS AND PLANES" argument is dumb. Illegals are largely a bunch of poor laborers, they don't have many resources at their disposal. Access to planes and boats are infinitely more restricted than cars, which the wall would near entirely block as you can't drive a car over a wall. So yes, illegals would still be *a thing that happens* but the numbers would drop /a lot/, especially when paired with all the other stuff such as increasing funding for ICE, and banning sanctuary cities
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #321106

>Doesn't actually apply. If we all the sudden throw out all the immigrants and raise the minimum wage of farm workers to $11 a hour nobody would buy the food due to the cost. They would simply buy the food from somewhere else. [clown] (Also stop seizing the means of production honk honk)[/clown] That aside having a effective force that actively searches for illegals would be rather expensive.

did someone just say we can't throw out the niggers working on cotton plantations for just about nothing otherwise people would stop buying cotton and buy it from somewhere else? Sure India and China overtake US cotton export by billions but at least America stopped overtly using slaves.. who knows what those poor indian or chinese workers suffer? and the US of A is still respectably third on the list of cotton exports by country. Illegal immigrants are practically slaves- either compliant with the abuse and poor working conditions or threatened with deportation.. so why are we still tolerating modern slavery? wtfuck???

why the fuck did you steal my post shadow but I'm glad you've finally made a useful well-thought out post AGAINST modern day slavery

together we will YASSS SLAYYY modern slavery and put an end to this awful practice, at least in the US. Fucking India and china can sort out their problems themselves.
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #321118

imblyings wrote:why the fuck did you steal my post shadow but I'm glad you've finally made a useful well-thought out post AGAINST modern day slavery
Wait what, I've never advocated slavery
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
killerx09
Byond Username: Killerx09

Post by killerx09 » #321149

The wall is bad because it'll cost something like 15-25 billion to build for minimal effect to the economy, moreso if we don't use immigrant labour to build it.

Best case scenario Texas's economy improves, but no way in hell that'll amount to 15 billion.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #321166

I'm sure building the wall will boost the construction industry.
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #321569

>illegal immigrants are slaves

They come here of their own choice because money is better. Maybe they should fix their own country?

a correct post by pillz
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #321574

DrPillzRedux wrote:>illegal immigrants are slaves

They come here of their own choice because money is better. Maybe they should fix their own country?
Some people never transitioned out of the feudal system of people telling them what to do, nowadays we tell people what to think and leave it to act on it themselves in the interest of democracy rather than local/national leaders literally directing everything to be done autocratically.

Spoiler:
starmute

Post by starmute » #321613

ShadowDimentio wrote:
starmute wrote:Not to mention the wall is useless due to economic necessity. To put it bluntly if the farmers don't have a underclass to exploit then you won't be able to get your tomatoes, wheat or anything else at a decent price. Even if we could police our borders effectively so no illegal immigrant gets in (and we can't) our prices would shoot up and places like Walmart or wherever would be buying food abroad at cheap prices instead of from our local farmers (thus wrecking our economy more).
So wait, the wall is bad because it prevents an underclass from being subjected to incredibly poor nigh slavery era conditions? That's... an incredibly strange thing to advocate for my dude.

Anyways the "THE WALL WON'T KEEP EVERYONE OUT LMAO WHAT ARE BOATS AND PLANES" argument is dumb. Illegals are largely a bunch of poor laborers, they don't have many resources at their disposal. Access to planes and boats are infinitely more restricted than cars, which the wall would near entirely block as you can't drive a car over a wall. So yes, illegals would still be *a thing that happens* but the numbers would drop /a lot/, especially when paired with all the other stuff such as increasing funding for ICE, and banning sanctuary cities

To be competitive you have to buy from the lowest common denominator. Have you ever seen a fair trade banana or chocolate bar? Do you know where the majority of that stuff comes from?
Example: the majority of chocolate is made in the INTERNAL DISCUSSIONS coast and ghana. The majority is made with child labor.
http://www.foodispower.org/slavery-chocolate/

Would a chocolate company

A) Buy chocolate only made in ... (oh wait nobody pays chocolate workers a fair wage however Mexico comes to mind because even at $4 a day its better than some places)
and raise their prices?

B) Stay the way they are

if A) then their prices would go up. Now you have something like a hershey's chocolate bar that costs $10 a bar. Sally consumer looks at a Twix candy bar that is only $2. Hershey's goes bankrupt and Twix stock goes up.

This isn't about Morality. It's about Free trade. People make decisions not based on what is right half the time but what they feel will protect their family and how they can put food on the table. I'm a economic realist here. Now you could try to control the economy Soviet style but that comes with a whole slew of other problems (communism doesn't work).

I'm not saying it is MORAL or ethical but it is what happens in Free Trade. If you want to stop it you have to stop every single person in the world from exploiting workers. If you can do that then I salute you.

You can get through the current wall plan with nothing but tin snips in under 3 minutes. It's been shown literally. REGARDLESS number's dropping "a lot" is a projection. My argument is that you cannot stop people from wanting to cross over. The only way you could stop people from coming to work in America is if there was no work available.

Also crap I have to pack to go back home. I'd talk about XSI's post but regardless I think I'll have to disagree with him, especially when researchers and journalists took very different viewpoints from that study. I kinda feel like you are cherry picking but I'm too busy to back that up currently. Maybe after I get over this walking pneumonia that Georgia has tried to kill me with I'll get back with it.
Professor Hangar
Byond Username: Professor Hangar

Post by Professor Hangar » #321691

The cost Trump whined about with trans people in the military is the tiniest drop in the bucket compared to everything else the DOD wastes money on, like a fancy new jet that can barely fly.

Anyway, literally the only way you're impacting the rate of illegal immigrants is to actually enforce the laws against employing undocumented workers and paying them below minimum wage. Arrest the people doing that, seize their assets to pay out the wages they stole from exploited workers, and put them in jail. They should get the message soon enough. You can deport people all day and they'll just hire more, you need to cut the problem off at its source.
XSI

Post by XSI » #321697

Apparently a memo on that leaked for the strategy behind it

He's making a big deal out of it precisely so that the democrats have to also make a big deal out of it
And apparently a lot of democrat seats are up for re-elections in 2018, in places with a lot of somewhat conservative people who don't like this whole 'transgender' thing

So it may seem petty at first, but if you investigate, it's both petty AND planned out in advance without any interest in the people who it is actually changing stuff for.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #321705

are there actually people who think the wall will be built?
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #321706

Why not? It's a big symbol to keep people distracted while everything else goes to shit.

Also anything to make America to vomit absurd amounts of cash into a bottomless pit is always popular with corporations.
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #321707

I hope nobody actually expected Mexico to write a check for the wall, they can just pretend that Mexico paid for it through tariffs, less money from illegals and so on. I'm sure they will come up with something to explain how Mexico ended up paying for it, just wait.
Professor Hangar

Post by Professor Hangar » #321708

While the Democrats big plan to make people actually care about what they have to say again is 'Give tax breaks to businesses!'

The USA didn't win the Cold War, it's just losing last.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #321724

Maybe instead of asking why miggers come here to do these jobs we should ask why locals don't do those jobs... or more accurately why locals CAN'T do those jobs.
Why the fuck is the cost of living so fucking high?

I think a big part of it is that our economy has been tied to the housing market for decades, so the value of houses has gone up and up and up (despite a few groin kicks) to the point now even rent on a crappy single room apartment in a crummy part of town is going to cost £500 per month.
Thats a third to half of a working persons wage.
Then you've got taxes
Car Insurance
Fuel
Actually buying the car itself...
Utility bills (which are a real cunt because the bastards keep rising them stating increased costs of operation... but then end of year comes about and they report record breaking profits)
And other living costs

You might shout "Child Slavery!!!" because little sambo makes only $4 a day stitching up trainers but thats a lot of money to him.
Same reason the Polish came here to do those low paid jobs, because they could live in a hostel for a months of seasonal work and send home more than what they could earn in a year back home. Now that the exchange rate is fucked because of the scaremongering globalists the Polish have fucked off back home because its no longer worth it for them.

I'd to work on a farm and pick strawberries if the wage paid actually covered my living costs without requiring me to work every single hour of daylight in the week.
XSI

Post by XSI » #321803

Pretty much that

When the economy was better, local people actually did these jobs
But thanks to inflation and other factors(Like immigration) raising the prices on everything, now those jobs are just not doable to native workers because the cost of living has gone up to the point that you just can't afford the basics working just those jobs.
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #321856

>illegals don't get free stuff
Spoiler:

a correct post by pillz
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #321863

Healthcare is free for illegals in CA.

a correct post by pillz
Professor Hangar

Post by Professor Hangar » #321889

The government's paying for healthcare one way or another; emergency rooms can't turn away someone with a life-threatening condition, so people without money or insurance have to wait until their untreated illnesses reach critical levels and then go in for treatment. The hospital bills them but doesn't expect them to be ever paid back- many treatments are so expensive specifically because only a few people ever actually pay the full bill.

And that's how the USA spends more on health care for anyone for worse returns than the dreaded socialised medicine; prevention is so much cheaper than the cure.
XSI

Post by XSI » #321893

Your healthcare really needs work

Not because it lets illegals get care, but because using that care puts you in massive debt no matter who you are or what your status.
Fuck, even your insurances will send you huge bills after treatment. Whats the point of insuring if you still have to pay a shitload anyway?
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #321897

Quality costs, the US has superior patient care in every way compared to socialized medicine, it just costs more.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #321929

CosmicScientist wrote:Sooo why is this funded by your local government?
You mean STATE

a correct post by pillz
TheColdTurtle
Byond Username: TheColdTurtle

Post by TheColdTurtle » #321932

Lol starmute didn't you say you were not going to participate in this thread because everyone was calling you fucking retarded
Professor Hangar

Post by Professor Hangar » #321953

ShadowDimentio wrote:Quality costs, the US has superior patient care in every way compared to socialized medicine, it just costs more.
Lol, it doesn't. You pour way, way more tax money into the system and get higher bills than 'superior patient care' could ever justify. It isn't some kind of min-maxing scenario, you're just plain inferior, and people have admitted this since the 90s.

Ignorant Americans go on about wait lists and non-existent death panels, when the alternative in American healthcare is to die without treatment, languish on opiate addictions or literally go bankrupt from medical bills. The plot of Breaking Bad literally could only happen in the USA.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #321967

Professor Hangar wrote:The plot of Breaking Bad literally could only happen in the USA.
What did he mean by this

Walter had terminal cancer an turned into a druglord as a means to provide for his family after he died, nothing about that was unique to the US
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
XSI

Post by XSI » #321973

We have welfare specifically for widows over here
starmute

Post by starmute » #321981

TheColdTurtle wrote:Lol starmute didn't you say you were not going to participate in this thread because everyone was calling you fucking retarded
I specificly said "
Quick note. I'm not going to post here about this anymore since I feel like Crag wants to just name call (and apparently make assumptions on my gender?) which doesn't contribute to the discussion so I'll step down to cause less drama. Feel free to message me if you want my opinion on this further"
I don't do well with name calling because I try not to call people names to prove my point. Politics is politics and not personal. When someone feels that it is personal I just withdraw from the conversation because I would rather leave than be dragged down by that kind of shit. I hope you can understand that.
DrPillzRedux wrote:>illegals don't get free stuff
Spoiler:
That's mostly funded by the city level.
to quote them
We are a government entity. In the early 1990s, the State authorized counties to create their own HMOs. In 1994, the City created the San Francisco Health Authority, which now operates San Francisco Health Plan. Although, we work closely with the San Francisco Department of Public Health, we are separate from the City. We have no access to the City’s treasury and are not part of the City’s organizational structure. Instead, we report to our own Governing Board. For more information on the history of San Francisco Health Plan,
So if your city gives illegal's free stuff and you are a sanctuary city you are free to move out and not support that. Or if you want you could vote otherwise. Whatever its a free country!

However this is a its a abnormality however and, certainly not common place. Not every place in the country is this rich.
Professor Hangar

Post by Professor Hangar » #321985

As I said, this is entirely pragmatic; those illegal immigrants are going to need healthcare sooner or later, and it's far, far cheaper to pay for preventative care than to have them show up at emergency rooms when it's too serious to turn them away and give them bills they have no chance of paying.
ColonicAcid
Byond Username: ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #321986

ShadowDimentio wrote:
Professor Hangar wrote:The plot of Breaking Bad literally could only happen in the USA.
What did he mean by this

Walter had terminal cancer an turned into a druglord as a means to provide for his family after he died, nothing about that was unique to the US
What are you even saying you absolute baboon.

The whole point was that Walt was too damn arrogant and proud to accept the free treatment from gretchen and because he had no damn insurance that covered terminal lung cancer and that is the reason why he chose to do what he did.

The entire point of the show is that he learnt to deal with his upcoming doom and chose not to deal meth for his own good but for his family.

Had he lived in a country with single payer he would just go to the doctors they would've prescribed a specialist oncologist and he would've performed chemotherapy and radiotherapy at no cost.
crack is whack but smacks got your back
starmute

Post by starmute » #321987

ColonicAcid wrote:
ShadowDimentio wrote:
What did he mean by this

What are you even saying you absolute baboon.

The whole point was that Walt was too damn arrogant and proud to accept the free treatment from gretchen and because he had no damn insurance that covered terminal lung cancer and that is the reason why he chose to do what he did.

The entire point of the show is that he learnt to deal with his upcoming doom and chose not to deal meth for his own good but for his family.

Had he lived in a country with single payer he would just go to the doctors they would've prescribed a specialist oncologist and he would've performed chemotherapy and radiotherapy at no cost.
Is it sad that I have never watched this show?
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #322015

if you're wondering why house prices are still so high, it's because they dropped interest rates to stimulate the economy after 2008 and instead of the money going to productive investment it mostly went back into housing, basically a global debt glut leading to an asset bubble.

probably had flow on effects on everything else, and of course because it was simply stimulated by cheap debt there was no corresponding wage increases (they've been flat for like 20 years or something) so the debt is all just piling up.

There are some who predict a crash bigger than 2008 when the debt cycle ends but I'm not sure I'm that negative.
starmute

Post by starmute » #322021

We finally did it. Pack it in boys everything that could possibly be achieved has been achieved. Everything is downhill from here.

Spoiler:
XSI

Post by XSI » #322027

oranges wrote:if you're wondering why house prices are still so high, it's because they dropped interest rates to stimulate the economy after 2008 and instead of the money going to productive investment it mostly went back into housing, basically a global debt glut leading to an asset bubble.

probably had flow on effects on everything else, and of course because it was simply stimulated by cheap debt there was no corresponding wage increases (they've been flat for like 20 years or something) so the debt is all just piling up.

There are some who predict a crash bigger than 2008 when the debt cycle ends but I'm not sure I'm that negative.
Also Chinese people buying up housing and other real estate
It's the only thing they consider a good investment because the prices keep going up, while most Chinese companies either are too expensive for them to invest in or have a habit of cutting all ties and running away with the money, so it kinda makes sense.
As soon as the market adjusts to the massive overvaluation of real estate, the chinese will have a majority of their savings just plain wiped out. But they don't seem to understand that because they didn't get economics lessons and experience in China is that the price will only ever go up

Also some countries, like mine, have the idiot idea of government subsidies on buying houses. Including villas. Which basically just means the things are overvalued by default because you don't have to pay the whole price anyway and if you do, you're an idiot who doesn't mind paying more
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #322031

>floating the old chinese capital outflow line

are you a shill for the central banks?
Professor Hangar

Post by Professor Hangar » #322032

China has a shitload of people with a lot of money desperate to get good investments since all property in China is effectively government owned and their economy is basically one big artificially inflated bubble. And it's in the interest of a LOT of people for the various property bubbles in the USA, Canada, Australia and New Zealand to stay up as long as possible.
XSI

Post by XSI » #322058

Pretty much that
One of many factors

Fuck inflation the hardest though. Inflation fucks up everything