Soundcard

Talk about non-ss13 stuff here.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Soundcard

Post by Stickymayhem » #20093

My headphones are so quiet for music. Anyone got a decent soundcard recommendation to solve this one problem?

I'm not an audiophile, I'm a touch deaf in one ear so I just want my music fucking loud as fuck.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
ShizCalev
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ShizCalev
Github Username: ShizCalev

Re: Soundcard

Post by ShizCalev » #20096

ImageImage
>Be ling
>Spread misinformation about how SM works to sabotage it
OOC: ChemicalRascal: Lying about game mechanics in relation to an engine that is poorly understood by most isn't cool, though
nsos
Byond Username: NOSENSEOFSELF

Post by nsos » #20097

soundcards are actually literally useless if you just want volume. just crank the percentage all the way up in volume mixer, if this is still a problem it's more of a headphone issue than soundcards, it's not like changing soundcards is going to change how high your system handles decibels.
if you're not an audiophile or doing a lot of work that involves audio production you will find a soundcard to be pretty useless (especially if your current headphones aren't quality). especially if you're just wanting the volume to be boosted.

your media player music should have an option for preamp or volume step, the latter of which should let you customize how many dBs your volume increases/decreases by when you fiddle with the volume. if it doesn't have these options it's a shit media player install foobar.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #20099

nsos wrote:soundcards are actually literally useless if you just want volume. just crank the percentage all the way up in volume mixer, if this is still a problem it's more of a headphone issue than soundcards, it's not like changing soundcards is going to change how high your system handles decibels.
if you're not an audiophile or doing a lot of work that involves audio production you will find a soundcard to be pretty useless (especially if your current headphones aren't quality). especially if you're just wanting the volume to be boosted.

your media player music should have an option for preamp or volume step, the latter of which should let you customize how many dBs your volume increases/decreases by when you fiddle with the volume. if it doesn't have these options it's a shit media player install foobar.
My headphones are far louder on my friends set-up, and even fair bit louder off my bloody phone.

I just think my onboard sound isn't delivering the volume I want.
ShizCalev wrote:http://www.amazon.com/JVC-HARX700-Preci ... B0013OWPV4

They'll rape your ears.
that is fucking terrifying. Those are my headphones. Exactly.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
kosmos
Byond Username: Kingofkosmos

Post by kosmos » #20180

If you can use your headphones on your phone just fine, it must have something to do with your OS sound settings and not the soundcard. Check the playback devices, all the levels in headphone settings etc. there are something like 3 or 4 places (in windows) where you can have the sound level or equalizer or some shit set to very low volume and it acts like a bottleneck to the problem.
If you've really made up your mind and you have to get a soundcard, buy the cheapest one, it'll be more than enough if you're not recording music through it or need multiple soundcards for mixing music or whatever.
ShizCalev
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ShizCalev
Github Username: ShizCalev

Post by ShizCalev » #20223

kosmos wrote:If you can use your headphones on your phone just fine, it must have something to do with your OS sound settings and not the soundcard. Check the playback devices, all the levels in headphone settings etc. there are something like 3 or 4 places (in windows) where you can have the sound level or equalizer or some shit set to very low volume and it acts like a bottleneck to the problem.
^

Go to your playback devices, right click your speakers, click properties, and make sure that under the enhancements tab you have loudness equalization and bass boost enabled. They can really help out with the volume on this headset from what I've experimented with.

If that doesn't help, could always try an amp for your headset. There are plenty of cheap ones available on amazon, but here's one with good reviews;
http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-Portable-Hea ... B003N0XDT4

Here's a thread explaining what an amp is / does, and has a few more amps mentioned on it by name.
http://www.digg.com/r/headphones/comm ... _and_amps/
ImageImage
>Be ling
>Spread misinformation about how SM works to sabotage it
OOC: ChemicalRascal: Lying about game mechanics in relation to an engine that is poorly understood by most isn't cool, though