!!MSO ran out of weed!! (The cooler August 2021 Drama Megathread)

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
Rohen_Tahir
Byond Username: Rohen Tahir

!!MSO ran out of weed!! (The cooler August 2021 Drama Megathread)

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #609736

Bottom post of the previous page:

https://discord.com/channels/326822144233439242/808425762217656330/873235156029300836 wrote:It is time for head coders accept a new paradigm where they sit under the host, as head admins do.

Things can not continue as things once have. I will continue to get frustrated at feeling powerless in matters involving coderbus until that frustration leads me to abandon all protocol, as it did today.

The solution is obvious.
?
Last edited by Rohen_Tahir on Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fishimun
Byond Username: Fishimun

Re: !!MSO ran out of weed!! (The cooler August 2021 Drama Megathread)

Post by Fishimun » #610092

Daniel is better than disco inferno
prove me right.
terranaut
Byond Username: Terranaut

Post by terranaut » #610093

daniel was the tiny flying living room right
i liked it
i like all meme/special shuttles honestly, couldnt care less if i die on the shuttle as long as its funny
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: FlatulentIndustrialist

Post by Flatulent » #610095

you’re all wrong on the fact that round will end soon.

NEVER FORGET THE 410% TD DISCO INFERNO THAT LASTED 20 MINUTES
Mothblocks, winter 2020, “successfully” preventing bagil death with relevant data wrote:You seem to be under the fallacy that reinforcing that Bagil is a TDM shithole where you must carry bolas and spears on you at all times, while looking for the next valid to hunt down is a positive change to the server. I don't. The data suggests other people don't.
imsxz wrote:I give up there’s too many furries
cacogen wrote:i asked oranges how often he plays and he deleted the post
cybersaber101 wrote:Welp, you guys let a terrymin become a headmin, thousand years of darkness.
Vekter wrote:I jerk off Nist a bit too much but he's honestly one of the best silicon players on the server. B.O.R.G.O. is also pretty good.
terranaut

Post by terranaut » #610096

Flatulent wrote:you’re all wrong on the fact that round will end soon.

NEVER FORGET THE 410% TD DISCO INFERNO THAT LASTED 20 MINUTES
this will get better now that mso is headheadcoder and will force c*ders to write better code before feature bloating stuff nobody wants
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #610097

Is this actually all over a bee emoji?

Lmao people need to get a grip if it is it's a bee emoji it's not even a big deal????
Hugs
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #610098

Misdoubtful wrote:Is this actually all over a bee emoji?

Lmao people need to get a grip if it is it's a bee emoji it's not even a big deal????
It’s about the maintainers sperging out and deleting a vitally needed bug fix PR over a bee emoji in the title, MSO telling them not to frivolously delete PRs for dumb shit, then them sperging out because they never agreed to not be retards.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #610099

1)bee emoji made in pr https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/60701 get closed by maintainer that can edit title and desc with a single botton press ( and tells person to make a new whole pr)
2)this makes mso flip the table and add guideline that maintainers shouldnt close prs for piss poor reasons https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/60733/files
3) maintainers mald and tell mso to step down or they ll make a new server
4) maintainers calm down and accept mso as head coder

end of timeline
Fishimun
Byond Username: Fishimun

Post by Fishimun » #610105

Tlaltecuhtli wrote:

1)bee emoji made in pr https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/60701 get closed by maintainer that can edit title and desc with a single botton press ( and tells person to make a new whole pr)
2)this makes mso flip the table and add guideline that maintainers shouldnt close prs for piss poor reasons https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/60733/files

end of timeline
damn i didn't know i was speaking to the man from 2054. how's medbay in recent years?
BONERMASTER
Byond Username: BONERMASTER

Post by BONERMASTER » #610106

Tlaltecuhtli wrote:

end of timeline
Agent, you are not to interfere with the timeline. Follow the plan. Capture Yulaw.

With warm regards
-MultiVerse Authority™
SIGNATURE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

*YOUR ADVERTISEMENT COULD BE HERE* - Contact BONERMASTER & Associates for further information
Agux909
Byond Username: Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #610107

I wonder if MSO would approve bringing nanites back...

Gigapuddi420
Byond Username: Gigapuddi420

Post by Gigapuddi420 » #610110

commemorate this moment by having every round spawn a book containing the script to the Bee Movie.

Well guys, ya like jazz?
Imperfect catgirl playing a imperfect game.
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #610112

Gigapuddi420 wrote:commemorate this moment by having every round spawn a book containing the script to the Bee Movie.

Well guys, ya like jazz?
Bee movie, without fail, finding itself once again in the center of the drama.
Spoiler:
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #610115

the absolute division was a mistake
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Rohesie
Byond Username: Rohesie

Post by Rohesie » #610116

The reasons are naturally more complex than the weird fanfic that's being painted here.

It started some time ago, MSO started being more active on development after years of inactivity.
He found a lot of things changed during his absence, and there was a different contribution culture from when he directed development long ago.
In particular, he had/has a hard time conciliating views with the newer maintainers, who brought a lot of changes in standards and procedures into the codebase.
I assume there have been other factors as well, as MSO has butted heads several times with several maintainers, and we got a few unkind words from him, me included though I wasn't actually the author of what he was complaining about.

Many small things that by themselves are not worth much ended up getting on his nerves, and that exploded in parts in two moments.

First was the slips one: there was a bug that made some turfs perma-slippery and he asked on how to fix it live. A maintainer gave him the wrong proc for him to call with SDQL and he permanently broke it for the round, generating a lot of hanging references. That made him very mad, chiefly at the obscurity of admin tools, the lack of support for live-debugging, and things having grown to a complexity in which it wasn't as trivial as before to fix things on the go.
His reaction was to force the test merge of the removal of all slips, declaring there would be no more slipping until admin tools to grant similar control of the game as a few years ago were made. The size of that request is difficult to explain if you don't know the code, but suffice it to say that's far from trivial.

Things were not on good standing by then, he had publicly declared his lack of trust on the team and made it clear he didn't think of us very much (of me and all maintainers who joined the team after he said to lack the critical thinking skills necessary to do the job), so when Timber closed a PR for poor reasons he exploded a bit more violently again, abused his commit access to instantly self-merge a change in the contribution guidelines and declared himself above the headcoders.

The headcoders naturally removed his commit access for its abuse, and the dev team in general, already tired of his rudeness, did not seem inclined to accept this proposed new arrangement.
Spirits rose, threats were made, and as is usual things calmed down.

The aftermath of this is that fewer people have access to the servers now, only a few trusted keyholders. Some maintainer-keyholders lost that privilege.

What does this mean, how does this impact people?
Very little, it changes almost nothing.
A few people who contributed with their spare time so that players wouldn't get disconnected during crashes, to fix things in a more timely manner and to generally maintain the servers lost their access.
The ones who retained it will have a bit more work on their hands, and things might be a little bit slower.
But the game carries on.
Gigapuddi420

Post by Gigapuddi420 » #610121

sooner or later this thread is going to be full of deleted posts I tell you what. Next time just tell actionninja to fuck off with his derail and debate that shit in another thread, all the politics containment nerds are breaking out their 'ACKUALLY...'
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #610122

lots of people denying the armenian genocide in here didn't realize i shared this community with a bunch of fucking t*rks
Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #610124

Shut the fuck up about this political nonsense, nobody wants to read it. Stay on the god damn topic.

TheMythicGhost
Byond Username: TheMythicGhost

Post by TheMythicGhost » #610126

Gigapuddi420 wrote:sooner or later this thread is going to be full of deleted posts I tell you what. Next time just tell actionninja to fuck off with his derail and debate that shit in another thread, all the politics containment nerds are breaking out their 'ACKUALLY...'
Honestly the best approach here.

ActionNinja, when is your next self-imposed exile? I think the count is 3 now.
Hi, I play Respii Varenos on Bagil.
everyone when referring to respii wrote:she
deedubya wrote:Posts you don't like aren't illegitimate. Points you don't agree with aren't disproven just because you post a disagreement. Points of view that can negatively affect you(a greyshirt main) aren't automatically negative as a whole.

The sooner you learn things like this, the sooner you can actually participate in fair and open discourse, instead of just screeching like a child when someone wants to take away the toys you use that have been abused constantly.
terranaut

Post by terranaut » #610127

Super Aggro Crag wrote:lots of people denying the armenian genocide in here didn't realize i shared this community with a bunch of fucking t*rks
Are Armenians white?
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #610128

terranaut wrote:
Super Aggro Crag wrote:lots of people denying the armenian genocide in here didn't realize i shared this community with a bunch of fucking t*rks
Are Armenians white?
yea
terranaut

Post by terranaut » #610130

Super Aggro Crag wrote:
terranaut wrote:
Are Armenians white?
yea
Fuck 'em then
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

Gigapuddi420

Post by Gigapuddi420 » #610134

Rohesie wrote:

The reasons are naturally more complex than the weird fanfic that's being painted here.

It started some time ago, MSO started being more active on development after years of inactivity.
He found a lot of things changed during his absence, and there was a different contribution culture from when he directed development long ago.
In particular, he had/has a hard time conciliating views with the newer maintainers, who brought a lot of changes in standards and procedures into the codebase.
I assume there have been other factors as well, as MSO has butted heads several times with several maintainers, and we got a few unkind words from him, me included though I wasn't actually the author of what he was complaining about.

Many small things that by themselves are not worth much ended up getting on his nerves, and that exploded in parts in two moments.

First was the slips one: there was a bug that made some turfs perma-slippery and he asked on how to fix it live. A maintainer gave him the wrong proc for him to call with SDQL and he permanently broke it for the round, generating a lot of hanging references. That made him very mad, chiefly at the obscurity of admin tools, the lack of support for live-debugging, and things having grown to a complexity in which it wasn't as trivial as before to fix things on the go.
His reaction was to force the test merge of the removal of all slips, declaring there would be no more slipping until admin tools to grant similar control of the game as a few years ago were made. The size of that request is difficult to explain if you don't know the code, but suffice it to say that's far from trivial.

Things were not on good standing by then, he had publicly declared his lack of trust on the team and made it clear he didn't think of us very much (of me and all maintainers who joined the team after he said to lack the critical thinking skills necessary to do the job), so when Timber closed a PR for poor reasons he exploded a bit more violently again, abused his commit access to instantly self-merge a change in the contribution guidelines and declared himself above the headcoders.

The headcoders naturally removed his commit access for its abuse, and the dev team in general, already tired of his rudeness, did not seem inclined to accept this proposed new arrangement.

The aftermath of this is that fewer people have access to the servers now, only a few trusted keyholders. Some maintainer-keyholders lost that privilege.

A few people who contributed with their spare time so that players wouldn't get disconnected during crashes, to fix things in a more timely manner and to generally maintain the servers lost their access.
The ones who retained it will have a bit more work on their hands, and things might be a little bit slower.
But the game carries on.
Maintainers: it's a long and complex history let me explain why...
Players: Haha, bee emoji goes bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
terranaut

Post by terranaut » #610135

Gigapuddi420 wrote:
Rohesie wrote:

But the game carries on.
Maintainers: it's a long and complex history let me explain why...
Players: Haha, bee emoji goes bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Rohesie is the only maintainer I've seen this approach with a level head so far
I'd say make Rohesie headcoder but unless something changed I know they don't want that.
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #610136

Rohesie wrote: First was the slips one: there was a bug that made some turfs perma-slippery and he asked on how to fix it live. A maintainer gave him the wrong proc for him to call with SDQL and he permanently broke it for the round, generating a lot of hanging references. That made him very mad, chiefly at the obscurity of admin tools, the lack of support for live-debugging, and things having grown to a complexity in which it wasn't as trivial as before to fix things on the go.
You gotta admit this is an understandable reason to get super mad and to want to force a change with authority. After all, it remained in this poor state for years and noone cared to bat an eye.

Gigapuddi420

Post by Gigapuddi420 » #610137

it's a boring and rational explanation for the drama but I just want it to bee about coders getting upset at bee emojis in pr titles.
Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #610138

slips arent fixed and bee emojis are still banned, better choose one thing to stick to maintainers
Omega_DarkPotato
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Omega_DarkPotato

Post by Omega_DarkPotato » #610139

Stickymayhem wrote:
terranaut wrote:SNIP
Don't care didn't ask, plus you're white
Fuck I can't see this post it's behind a maximum IQ gate what a shame
hey guys you know you can delete your excess quoting that takes up a page each time right
Super Aggro Crag wrote:This is what u get when u let people into your community
play opus: echo of starsong
I'm an admin, typically on /tg/station Sybil. If you've got anything you'd like to say about me, my adminning, or my decisions, please comment in my admin feedback thread!
Rohesie

Post by Rohesie » #610143

Agux909 wrote:
Rohesie wrote: First was the slips one: there was a bug that made some turfs perma-slippery and he asked on how to fix it live. A maintainer gave him the wrong proc for him to call with SDQL and he permanently broke it for the round, generating a lot of hanging references. That made him very mad, chiefly at the obscurity of admin tools, the lack of support for live-debugging, and things having grown to a complexity in which it wasn't as trivial as before to fix things on the go.
You gotta admit this is an understandable reason to get super mad and to want to force a change with authority. After all, it remained in this poor state for years and noone cared to bat an eye.
Yea, I don't think MSO's reasons were nonexistent, or that he was acting fully at random like a power-hungry looney. I've said so in chats with other maintainers.
The problem is that he was acting in anger and likely assuming bad faith, so he went a bit further than was necessary.

I do think there's still issues to be addressed, not everything is solved. But hopefully that happens in less passionate terms.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #610144

maybe what we should do is just hold a big barbecue

all grill together and become pals

we can even grill some vegetals for stinky
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #610145

Rohesie wrote:

But the game carries on.
I appreciate you taking the time to write this out tbh
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:
Stickymayhem wrote:
terranaut wrote:SNIP
Don't care didn't ask, plus you're white
Fuck I can't see this post it's behind a maximum IQ gate what a shame
hey guys you know you can delete your excess quoting that takes up a page each time right
I'm kinda lazy
Last edited by Misdoubtful on Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hugs
Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #610146

i think mso and maintainers should unite and beat up sticky for shitting up the thread with off topic politics nobody asked for
Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #610147

Rohesie wrote:
Agux909 wrote:
Yea, I don't think MSO's reasons were nonexistent, or that he was acting fully at random like a power-hungry looney. I've said so in chats with other maintainers.
The problem is that he was acting in anger and likely assuming bad faith, so he went a bit further than was necessary.

I do think there's still issues to be addressed, not everything is solved. But hopefully that happens in less passionate terms.
Well said.
Tlaltecuhtli wrote:i think mso and maintainers should unite and beat up sticky for shitting up the thread with off topic politics nobody asked for
Seconded.

Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #610148

Tlaltecuhtli wrote:i think mso and maintainers should unite and beat up sticky for shitting up the thread with off topic politics nobody asked for
ok talcum cutie
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
terranaut

Post by terranaut » #610149

Rohesie, how do you feel about the attitude coders are alleged to have towards players, or all non-coders really, when criticism is made or complaints about undesired, forced changes raised?
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

Rohesie

Post by Rohesie » #610151

terranaut wrote:Rohesie, how do you feel about the attitude coders are alleged to have towards players, or all non-coders really, when criticism is made or complaints about undesired, forced changes raised?
Bit of a broad question. Let me give you my personal experience in that regards, though it might not be the answer you want to hear.

Back when I only played and didn't contribute I had a ton of opinions and was pretty vocal about them. In retrospective I was pretty toxic and didn't realize it.
A lot of things that the devs did I thought were completely stupid, and I wasn't shy about saying so. And what reinforced my attitude is that I found a lot of fellow players echoing said opinions. It wasn't just a me thing, the devs were clearly dumb.

Then I started contributing and trying to implement the changes my fellow players thought good. Much to my dismay, the same people who claimed these things were vital or the game would die then didn't seem to care one bit about it. Sometimes it was just not implemented the way they liked it, sometimes time had changed their mind, but most of the time they just didn't care and moved on to the next offending matter to be pissed at.

Then I realized it that in good measure players, myself included here, find small issues and make them bigger than they're. Because not only this is a game we're passionate about, but being inflamed and invested is very attractive. Small issues greatly annoy us and give us reasons to vent and fight, and I guess that in good measure we evolved for that. Who doesn't love a little crusade when they feel justified?

So nowadays I'm aware that no matter what change you do to the game, some people will hate you for it and won't be shy about it. It comes with developing.
If there's a hundred players there will be a hundred and one opinions on how the game should be, it is how it is. If you want to do what you consider be improving the game, be ready to face the reaction.

Devs are often a bit soured by that kind of general feedback from the community, so they might even give off a bad attitude to people who come at them without bad intent. It's a bit of a vicious cycle, really.
Most players don't realize when they approach devs demandingly, telling them how dumb they're for making the changes they've done and how they should revert them. And are pikachu-faced when the devs don't react they way the expect. Again, I'm saying this from personal experience on both sides.

Some people take upon themselves the handle the community and be the target of hatred, so that others can code in peace. If you think of the dev team and some particular names come out as specially hated, chances are those are the ones intentionally doing it. And they're rather invaluable. It's part of why tg has such a big and stable development team, while most servers struggle to find active contributors. And it's also related to why tg does well in terms of player-count.
Kyrah Abattoir
Byond Username: KyrahAbattoir

Post by Kyrah Abattoir » #610153

You guys need to see the writing on the wall and get a new host who understands the limitations of his role. People forget that this already happened (Errorage), and it will happen again.
TheMythicGhost
Byond Username: TheMythicGhost

Post by TheMythicGhost » #610154

Reminder this happened because ActionNinja disagreed with me on my view of the current drama, so he called me a white surpremacist and pulled a screencap from a conversation a year or two ago about a few hours later because he was malding. This was and is about the situation between the host and coders.
Hi, I play Respii Varenos on Bagil.
everyone when referring to respii wrote:she
deedubya wrote:Posts you don't like aren't illegitimate. Points you don't agree with aren't disproven just because you post a disagreement. Points of view that can negatively affect you(a greyshirt main) aren't automatically negative as a whole.

The sooner you learn things like this, the sooner you can actually participate in fair and open discourse, instead of just screeching like a child when someone wants to take away the toys you use that have been abused constantly.
TWATICUS
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Twaticus

Post by TWATICUS » #610155

i now understand PKPs frustration
ImageImageImage
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #610156

Kyrah Abattoir wrote:You guys need to see the writing on the wall and get a new host who understands the limitations of his role. People forget that this already happened (Errorage), and it will happen again.
errorage was a sperg but the reason he stopped being host is because of cliquey high school drama bullshit where a bunch of codecucks threatened to fork over him being host of the server AND the forum and he backed down. you're just showing that coders are still the same fucking insular mean girl dipshits they've been for like a fucking decade now.
Anuv
Byond Username: Anuv

Post by Anuv » #610157

Wow this definitely is the cooler drama thread (*said with a sarcastic tone as I snicker to myself and smirk at poster next to me*)
technokek
Byond Username: Technokek

Post by technokek » #610158

Last edited by technokek on Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rohen_Tahir
Byond Username: Rohen Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #610161

terranaut wrote:Who does?
Ben
terranaut

Post by terranaut » #610172

Rohesie wrote:
terranaut wrote:Rohesie, how do you feel about the attitude coders are alleged to have towards players, or all non-coders really, when criticism is made or complaints about undesired, forced changes raised?
Bit of a broad question. Let me give you my personal experience in that regards, though it might not be the answer you want to hear.

Back when I only played and didn't contribute I had a ton of opinions and was pretty vocal about them. In retrospective I was pretty toxic and didn't realize it.
A lot of things that the devs did I thought were completely stupid, and I wasn't shy about saying so. And what reinforced my attitude is that I found a lot of fellow players echoing said opinions. It wasn't just a me thing, the devs were clearly dumb.

Then I started contributing and trying to implement the changes my fellow players thought good. Much to my dismay, the same people who claimed these things were vital or the game would die then didn't seem to care one bit about it. Sometimes it was just not implemented the way they liked it, sometimes time had changed their mind, but most of the time they just didn't care and moved on to the next offending matter to be pissed at.

Then I realized it that in good measure players, myself included here, find small issues and make them bigger than they're. Because not only this is a game we're passionate about, but being inflamed and invested is very attractive. Small issues greatly annoy us and give us reasons to vent and fight, and I guess that in good measure we evolved for that. Who doesn't love a little crusade when they feel justified?

So nowadays I'm aware that no matter what change you do to the game, some people will hate you for it and won't be shy about it. It comes with developing.
If there's a hundred players there will be a hundred and one opinions on how the game should be, it is how it is. If you want to do what you consider be improving the game, be ready to face the reaction.

Devs are often a bit soured by that kind of general feedback from the community, so they might even give off a bad attitude to people who come at them without bad intent. It's a bit of a vicious cycle, really.
Most players don't realize when they approach devs demandingly, telling them how dumb they're for making the changes they've done and how they should revert them. And are pikachu-faced when the devs don't react they way the expect. Again, I'm saying this from personal experience on both sides.

Some people take upon themselves the handle the community and be the target of hatred, so that others can code in peace. If you think of the dev team and some particular names come out as specially hated, chances are those are the ones intentionally doing it. And they're rather invaluable. It's part of why tg has such a big and stable development team, while most servers struggle to find active contributors. And it's also related to why tg does well in terms of player-count.
It's the kind of well thought-out answer I'd expect from you, so exactly what I want to hear. If I wanted someone to just parrot my thoughts I could just keep shitposting with the general consensus.

Why do you think it is this way? Are other projects the same, or is this a /tg/ only issue? I keep hearing "fuck coders" even from friends who haven't been involved in any way with /tg/ for several years. When they think back to their time on /tg/, this is the response I get. I don't feel like this was an issue remotely as strongly when we were on TGMC. I might just be wrong but in my impression, aside from a few outliers, people were much more chill. Is it because the project was smaller and everybody was more involved with each other? Because nobody preached this whole "the seperation of codebase and administration is absolute" nonsense?

Most importantly, what can be done to get rid of this absolutely mindstaggering resentment players seem to have for coders? Of course you're not wrong, some people are just gonna complain and whine no matter what. What about valid complaints? I made a snarky comment somewhere, I think in the deleted quote chain, asking if the new ui still randomly dies and crashes, forcing you to restart the game (and sit through the 30 second wait if you're not a byond member). That's terrible for any number of reasons for all kinds of people interacting with the server in any capacity. I don't recall how long ago it was added nor do I really care how long exactly it has been, but we're talking about years. Why is this ok? Why wasn't whatever broke it reverted (or if it was the original PR, why wasn't that reverted until it was fixed)? Why do coders, in turn, get pikachu faced when players end up thinking all coders are assholes when you get called an entitled pissbaby for bringing stuff like this up or salting in deadchat because you died in the random 30 second timeout you're forced to sit through occasionally, or any other number of existing problems?

I understand that everyone working on this project is a volunteer and is bringing their time and sometimes very marketable, professional skills in for the low, low amount of free. But in the instances it ends up making the game worse, is it not okay to mention that and try to get it fixed or reverted? Whoever said it was imo very right about coders (here at least, and of course with several exceptions who're super cool people) viewing themselves as some kind of enlightened god caste deserving only of worship, and I for one am pretty glad they were made to eat some humble pie. Is that petty? Probably, but I don't think that invalidates what I said, and if MSO elbowing his way to the top of the codechain means there's a chance for this change then I welcome it with wide open arms.
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

terranaut

Post by terranaut » #610173

Anuv wrote:Wow this definitely is the cooler drama thread (*said with a sarcastic tone as I snicker to myself and smirk at poster next to me*)
emoting your thoughts is fail RP because other characters can never be privy to them, fucking loser.
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

Anuv
Byond Username: Anuv

Post by Anuv » #610175

terranaut wrote:
Anuv wrote:Wow this definitely is the cooler drama thread (*said with a sarcastic tone as I snicker to myself and smirk at poster next to me*)
emoting your thoughts is fail RP because other characters can never be privy to them, fucking loser.
*Chuckles under my breath while reading this post, as I think upon how much of a newb terranaut is and how everyone knows it (which is now known by others on account of my powerful psychic domination over those nearby)*
technokek
Byond Username: Technokek

Post by technokek » #610176

Last edited by technokek on Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #610180

Rohesie wrote:

-snip-
Y'all seem so chill compared to back when c*ders would have a tight group of three maintainers where - and this is some OLD old storytime - since it was against Coder Law to merge your own PRs, one of the trio PRed a removal of an item, another reviewed it and went "it compiles let's go," and a third speedmerged it.

A bunch of people complained and the coders proceeded to lie to people's faces that it was "cleaning up the codebase" when it was removing... a clothing item that was a child of another clothing item with a different sprite, and that was basically it. They called the items "snowflake code," despite them having no new code associated, etc., other coders who weren't part of their circle called them out, it was a whole mess.

I do still hold that it is the most annoying goddamn thing that every time maintainers do something that someone doesn't like, they some of them seem to go "JuSt FoRk ThE cOdEbAsE tHeN" though
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
EOBGames
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: EOBGames

Post by EOBGames » #610181

terranaut wrote:
Rohesie wrote:

It's the kind of well thought-out answer I'd expect from you, so exactly what I want to hear. If I wanted someone to just parrot my thoughts I could just keep shitposting with the general consensus.

Why do you think it is this way? Are other projects the same, or is this a /tg/ only issue? I keep hearing "fuck coders" even from friends who haven't been involved in any way with /tg/ for several years. When they think back to their time on /tg/, this is the response I get. I don't feel like this was an issue remotely as strongly when we were on TGMC. I might just be wrong but in my impression, aside from a few outliers, people were much more chill. Is it because the project was smaller and everybody was more involved with each other? Because nobody preached this whole "the seperation of codebase and administration is absolute" nonsense?

Most importantly, what can be done to get rid of this absolutely mindstaggering resentment players seem to have for coders? Of course you're not wrong, some people are just gonna complain and whine no matter what. What about valid complaints? I made a snarky comment somewhere, I think in the deleted quote chain, asking if the new ui still randomly dies and crashes, forcing you to restart the game (and sit through the 30 second wait if you're not a byond member). That's terrible for any number of reasons for all kinds of people interacting with the server in any capacity. I don't recall how long ago it was added nor do I really care how long exactly it has been, but we're talking about years. Why is this ok? Why wasn't whatever broke it reverted (or if it was the original PR, why wasn't that reverted until it was fixed)? Why do coders, in turn, get pikachu faced when players end up thinking all coders are assholes when you get called an entitled pissbaby for bringing stuff like this up or salting in deadchat because you died in the random 30 second timeout you're forced to sit through occasionally, or any other number of existing problems?

I understand that everyone working on this project is a volunteer and is bringing their time and sometimes very marketable, professional skills in for the low, low amount of free. But in the instances it ends up making the game worse, is it not okay to mention that and try to get it fixed or reverted? Whoever said it was imo very right about coders (here at least, and of course with several exceptions who're super cool people) viewing themselves as some kind of enlightened god caste deserving only of worship, and I for one am pretty glad they were made to eat some humble pie. Is that petty? Probably, but I don't think that invalidates what I said, and if MSO elbowing his way to the top of the codechain means there's a chance for this change then I welcome it with wide open arms.
I think that an important step on healing the division between players and coders is for all sides to remember that people are wanting and making the changes that they personally believe will improve the game. A lot of people seem to approach coding with the idea that coders want to destroy the game- obviously this isn't correct. They're making changes they believe would be the best for the game's overall health. Likewise, coders can quite often become jaded and believe that the playerbase is just clamouring for stuff that's going to make them more powerful in combat, or allow easier powergaming- which again isn't necessarily correct. People are suggesting what they believe would be best for the game. I won't lie, I've gotten sucked into this line of thinking in the past, from both sides, and it's really taken this situation to get me thinking more critically about it.

It should go without saying that we're never going to get everyone to agree, but at the very least if we can all remember we do all of this out of a passion for the game and not to see its downfall, I think we'd be taking a good first step towards a healthier environment for both players and devs.

(Also, as a quick aside to answer your questions about the UI: it's an intermittent issue that seems to be completely random as to who it hits, how frequently it hits, and when it hits, which makes me suspect it's less of an issue with the actual implementation and more with some odd facet of hardware that it's interacting with (fairly uninformed opinion, I haven't personally worked with the UI from the dev side). I know I recall dealing with it near the start, when I had a shittier computer, but can't remember it happening in a long time, probably because I upgraded to something better. Ultimately the improvements to the UIs on moving from the old system to the new have been massive, a good example being the crafting machines, which I personally believe has been worth it especially now that the stability has improved, but I can recognise that if you're suffering from it much more frequently then your opinion probably varies on that front.)
Everyone's favourite internewt. Je maptiendrai.
In the rare event that I'm on the server, I'm either Inept-At-Job or Kayden Riker. Accept no substitutes.
If you've gotta contact me, hit me up on discord, as I don't really check forum DMs: @Emerald_or_Bust#1314
Spoiler:
Beware the Chilledstation, for it approaches.
Fluff Images:
► Show Spoiler
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #610182

i mean this completely genuinely as someone with no stake in it and who hasn't followed things closely: i think coders have a pr (lol) problem with the playerbase more than anything else considering the fact that people are actually asking "wait but what do non mso people even do"

also "peanut thread about coder/host drama devolved into some shit about a genocide irl" is peak tgstation forums shit
Limey wrote:its too late.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #610184

qbopper
bastardblaster
Byond Username: BastardBlaster

Post by bastardblaster » #610185

where did all the people who haven't played in 6 years crawl from