Name Rating Thread

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
Bawhoppennn
Github User
Byond Username: Bawhoppennn
Github Username: Bawhoppen

Name Rating Thread

Post by Bawhoppennn » #627713

Bottom post of the previous page:

Post here for username rating!

I will rate them, others please feel free to do so as well!

I promise I will be honest about however your username makes me feel, whether good or bad. I am gonna try and make sure it's just about your username the best I can, and not a judgment of you as a person, so hopefully you don't need to worry.
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

<KorMobile> you're a hero

[21:20:53] <%oranges> Baw "has cute legs" hoppen
DEAD: ADMIN(Owegno) says, "Nothing lewd happens in adminbus sadly."

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

(F) DEAD: Professor DonkPocket says, "Admins preventchaos with good messages"

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> russians have no souls so magic enrages them
<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
conrad
Byond Username: Conrad Thunderbunch

Re: Name Rating Thread

Post by conrad » #663723

Do your worst.
I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here. :hug::beer: 𝒯𝒶𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶 𝓈𝒶𝒷𝒶𝓉𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓁. :faggot::heart:
And now a word from our sponsors:
dendydoom wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:51 am conrad is a badass
Armhulen wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:08 pm
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:13 pm
Kendrickorium wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:53 am
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:24 am
conrad wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
Speak for yourself two-eyes.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
absolutely based, do you wear an eyepatch?
That would render a cyclops blind.
RedBaronFlyer wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:52 pm
Drag wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
It would somehow manage to pick Birdshot Station for headmin if we did that
Lacran wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
Vekter wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
dendydoom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
RedBaronFlyer
Byond Username: RedBaronFlyer

Post by RedBaronFlyer » #663751

Bawhoppennn wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:01 am Thanks for the patience everyone! Wanted to give full consideration to all of these names!
RedBaronFlyer wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:49 am I also thought this was going be various people rating in game names, but this is cool too, I guess.
RedBaronFlyer. Man I like this name a lot. Very homey and everything. While of course I think of the pilot the Red Baron, I also think of the frozen pizza brand, and I was always a fan of that for my cheap frozen pizza choices. The use of letter case is something that I am also a fan of for this name. The thing is, the homey feeling doesn't just derive from the fact that the username is referencing normal ordinary things, like the ace or pizza brand, but also that it's a simple set of words that work together well. Each syllable's feeling is pretty good for this. 'Red' = hearty feeling, 'Bar-' = energetic, '-on' = zestful, 'fly-' = neutral, '-er' = earthy finisher. Very good name from both an evocation standpoint, and stylistic syntactics standpoint.

Rating: 76 Confirmed Aerial Takedowns
The funny thing is that I actually just chose this name when I was like, 13 after I did a wax museum thing on Manfred von Richthofen. RedBaron seemed a bit short (and the username was usually taken already), and flyer just looked better to me than flier for some reason when it came to a full username.
Spoiler:
I also almost did a nero related username because of another wax museum thing I did when I was 12 but I decided against it LOOK AT THIS FINE SPECIMEN
I also love how your review of my username was like a person reviewing wine; it's perfect.
WARNING, Prolonged exposure to my opinions can be mentally scarring or in some cases, FATAL
Stamper of papers, pusher of crates, and the cleaner of floors.
I'm Eugine Adrian Hynes on Manuel, I'm very uncool.
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:11 pm I assume he did it elsewhere because it's fucking goofball and he never half-asses his shitty ideas, he full asses them so both cheeks are absolutely slathered in shit
Bawhoppennn
Github User

Post by Bawhoppennn » #663948

conrad wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:28 pm Do your worst.
Conrad Thunderbunch. THUNDERBUNCH. That's some real Chad Thundercock energy you've got there with your username. Excellent work. I am a sucker for using a traditional Western naming scheme, but then with some sort of crazy spin to it. Conrad is a fun real first name we don't see much anymore. And Thunderbunch is a fantastic spin. 'Thunder' is innately an amazing word in its own right. However, it shines even more by just of 'bunch' as both share stressing of a the -u- there, following by an shortened -n- as the choice of consonant. The asymmetry of the hard -D- versus the soft -CH- creates a nice flair that avoids repetition in the tempo... And I just realized... That's the purpose of Conrad. The -rad- seamlessly transitions from using the A + nd to U + nd, and then into U + nch. What a beautifully crafted username. One of the best I've seen.

Rating: 12.5KV
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
Bawhoppennn
Github User

Post by Bawhoppennn » #663949

EpicFatGamerNuts2006 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:04 pm
Bawhoppennn wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:50 am
EpicFatGamerNuts2006 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:41 pm troll.jpg
EpicFatGamerNuts2006. Uh... What in the 7th level of Hell kind of name is this? Do you really like being seen as a disgusting greasy pair of enlarged testicles? Is that what you love to be associated with? Dear god, even as a parody, it's not funny... Get out of my thread.

Rating: No.
You’re right I need to change it to EpicFatGamerNuts2011 :P
Yeah 2011 would be an improvement. I'd have to up your Magic 8-ball rating to 'Ask Again Later'.
RedBaronFlyer wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:33 am
Bawhoppennn wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:01 am Thanks for the patience everyone! Wanted to give full consideration to all of these names!
RedBaronFlyer wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:49 am I also thought this was going be various people rating in game names, but this is cool too, I guess.
RedBaronFlyer. Man I like this name a lot. Very homey and everything. While of course I think of the pilot the Red Baron, I also think of the frozen pizza brand, and I was always a fan of that for my cheap frozen pizza choices. The use of letter case is something that I am also a fan of for this name. The thing is, the homey feeling doesn't just derive from the fact that the username is referencing normal ordinary things, like the ace or pizza brand, but also that it's a simple set of words that work together well. Each syllable's feeling is pretty good for this. 'Red' = hearty feeling, 'Bar-' = energetic, '-on' = zestful, 'fly-' = neutral, '-er' = earthy finisher. Very good name from both an evocation standpoint, and stylistic syntactics standpoint.

Rating: 76 Confirmed Aerial Takedowns
The funny thing is that I actually just chose this name when I was like, 13 after I did a wax museum thing on Manfred von Richthofen. RedBaron seemed a bit short (and the username was usually taken already), and flyer just looked better to me than flier for some reason when it came to a full username.
Spoiler:
I also almost did a nero related username because of another wax museum thing I did when I was 12 but I decided against it LOOK AT THIS FINE SPECIMEN
I also love how your review of my username was like a person reviewing wine; it's perfect.
People put a lot more thought into their names than they realize. I think people intuitively understand things like rhythm, tempo, style, vibe, connotation, and flow, yet don't realize they are employing their skills, and can't articulate them consciously when asked. That's the beauty of name rating, and having an outside perspective.

conrad
Byond Username: Conrad Thunderbunch

Post by conrad » #663970

Bawhoppennn wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:55 am
conrad wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:28 pm Do your worst.
Conrad Thunderbunch. THUNDERBUNCH. That's some real Chad Thundercock energy you've got there with your username. Excellent work. I am a sucker for using a traditional Western naming scheme, but then with some sort of crazy spin to it. Conrad is a fun real first name we don't see much anymore. And Thunderbunch is a fantastic spin. 'Thunder' is innately an amazing word in its own right. However, it shines even more by just of 'bunch' as both share stressing of a the -u- there, following by an shortened -n- as the choice of consonant. The asymmetry of the hard -D- versus the soft -CH- creates a nice flair that avoids repetition in the tempo... And I just realized... That's the purpose of Conrad. The -rad- seamlessly transitions from using the A + nd to U + nd, and then into U + nch. What a beautifully crafted username. One of the best I've seen.

Rating: 12.5KV
Unironically made my day better.
I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here. :hug::beer: 𝒯𝒶𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶 𝓈𝒶𝒷𝒶𝓉𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓁. :faggot::heart:
And now a word from our sponsors:
dendydoom wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:51 am conrad is a badass
Armhulen wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:08 pm
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:13 pm
Kendrickorium wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:53 am
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:24 am
conrad wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
Speak for yourself two-eyes.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
absolutely based, do you wear an eyepatch?
That would render a cyclops blind.
RedBaronFlyer wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:52 pm
Drag wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
It would somehow manage to pick Birdshot Station for headmin if we did that
Lacran wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
Vekter wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
dendydoom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
spookuni
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Spookuni

Post by spookuni » #664135

I embrace the end
BONERMASTER
Byond Username: BONERMASTER

Post by BONERMASTER » #664136

Hello and good day Mr. Bawhoppennn,

with a bright smile I am hereby submitting my username to your rating agency and eagerly await your insightful reply.

With warmest regards
-BONERMASTER
SIGNATURE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

*YOUR ADVERTISEMENT COULD BE HERE* - Contact BONERMASTER & Associates for further information
Bawhoppennn
Github User

Post by Bawhoppennn » #664225

I just would like to say before rating any more names, that I feel like I have learned more about myself in this thread than I have about anyone else.

Virescent
Byond Username: Virescent

Post by Virescent » #664339

Depends on what you like, what you think would represent you. Maybe StonedVaporeon? Weedycate? SplashySmashy? Idk.
vect0r
Byond Username: Vect0r

Post by vect0r » #664633

Must... Keep... Thread... alive...
VENDETTA+Cecilia Vujic
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #664639

You couldn't decipher my name if you tried.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #664644

do me
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Bawhoppennn
Github User

Post by Bawhoppennn » #664791

spookuni wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:10 pm I embrace the end
Spookuni. Interesting name I'd say. Now what's important here is that I know it's 'uni' but I can only possibly read it as 'zucchini'. Now I believe 90% that this must be intended, that 'u' raises a few doubts. But I have to assume that is your intent with the name. While on a content standpoint, the idea of a spectral summer squash is rather bland, I suppose the instrumentativeness of the sound it makes feels decent. I think mimicking zucchini as a word is not an unreasonable choice; it is an interesting word. Despite its... 'fatty' origin as word from Italian, somehow it still manages to retain a lighter syllabic structure. This gives a decent verbal resonance when said. The 'sp' appended to the front actually works better with this resonance than the native 'z' of its original word. Using 'u' to replace the 'i' to mirror this better is safer. Nothing special but an okay username.

Rating: 6 lb/ft Crop Yield
BONERMASTER wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:28 pm Hello and good day Mr. Bawhoppennn,

with a bright smile I am hereby submitting my username to your rating agency and eagerly await your insightful reply.

With warmest regards
-BONERMASTER
BONERMASTER, it's been a long time coming to rate yours. Your name exudes confidence perhaps, but more importantly: DOMINANCE. Now obviously a major element of this is the all caps. But, it is not that alone. You are stated that YOU are the master, above all else. And you show off your unwillingness to submit, but rather dominate with the BONER. Bearing it and its strength, is what I hear in your name... Now normally this might be kinda too much, or a bit gross conceptually. But it isn't for yours. It has enough consideration and restraint to be like "Yeah, that's what's happening" but not to be excessive and gratuitous That's key. You strike the excellent balance in this sense, and it pulls together a STRONG username.

Rating: 7.4 Inches T.M.I. (Randy Marsh ver.)
Virescent wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:17 am Depends on what you like, what you think would represent you. Maybe StonedVaporeon? Weedycate? SplashySmashy? Idk.
Virescent, hmm. Your name is enigmatic. You have two angles here that I think you are conveying. The first way I look at it is a scifi fantasy name. Something related to some poison sorcerer perhaps (virus?). The -ent denotes a performative suffix in English, suggesting you are partaking in this poisonous viral process. Certainly this is one way to look at it. But the second way I look at it, and I think the correct interpretation is that your name originates from the Latin 'vīs' (in the plural), which means something like might, lifeforce, or power. So, with that same performative suffix, you are one who is imbued with great strength, great might. Certainly I think would make a good name... however the ambiguity leading to the possible former interpretation takes away from the solidity of the name.

Rating: +50 Vitality

Bawhoppennn
Github User

Post by Bawhoppennn » #665826

vect0r wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:04 pm Must... Keep... Thread... alive...
Vect0r. All lowercase. Interesting. Your username is pretty generic, to be honest. And I will be truthful in saying that the Zero you add to sub in the O, actually makes it even more generic, than if you had just written out 'vector'. I think the lowercase is the only thing that gives it much special character, even if only a little. Even in terms of orthography, everything kind of has a beige tint, including the 'v' and 'ct' elements. It being bland is not necessarily a bad thing. At the end of the day, we need to have a variety of usernames for any of them to have any comparison drawn to them. In that sense, your name serves an important role for society. All in all, bland name but that is okay.

Rating: āx(v) = (9, 2)
cedarbridge wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:18 pm You couldn't decipher my name if you tried.
Cedarbridge. What a nice wooden bridge across the stream. Something that reminds me of a mystical setting. I've seen so many DeviantArt posts of fantasy landscapes in woods, always a bit embellished in terms of their characteristics of course. I think it fits for your name. However, what is of note here is your name is all lowercase. That is irregular in the sense that the rest of your name conveys a sense of wonder, but that drags it into beige status. In a way, I think about it like creme broule. The basic flavor & normal aspects build up the base, while the temperature element modifies it. Atleast that's what I assume; I have never eaten creme broule. Fine letter usage, I like the heavy emphasis on {a}-r and {b}-r. Anyways if I had to hazard a guess the name comes from your old WoW days. Overall, healthy name, bit of character to it.

Rating: 160K Mana
BeeSting12 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:24 pmdo me
Beesting12. This name has a clear childishness to it. A bee's sting is not something you often think about in day-to-day life, unless you have a childish whimsy as a large part of you (or are a beekeeper I guess). I think really clearly that is the vibe which is portrayed here. Now, I will say that this childishness isn't in an immature sense, but like I mentioned, a sort of whimsical feeling to it. Innocence perhaps. Now we have to approach the elephant in the room though... 12. Let me be candid, this 12 in a vacuum is going to really hurt your name. A highly composite and even number like 12 has a strong feminine presence to it. The issue is, that when we have a childish name to go along with it, you are making the entire name far too soft sounding. The only saving grace here is the specific words of 'bee sting'. E-heavy, s + t + n add some firmness back in it. Manages to scrape back a bit through this coalescence, but still, a really fragile and soft name.

Rating: Extra Soft

Phew, finally had a chance to sit down and get out my thoughts on these names. This thread is gonna keep going as long as people post in it, so feel free to keep giving your names!

Epoc
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Epoc

Post by Epoc » #665828

rate
Unoki
Byond Username: Unoki

Post by Unoki » #665829

Miaou
EmpressMaia
Byond Username: EmpressMaia

Post by EmpressMaia » #665854

:)
Omega_DarkPotato
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Omega_DarkPotato

Post by Omega_DarkPotato » #665860

I've had this name since I was 10? 9? years old and playing on a 2d flash shooter online
hit me, chief
Super Aggro Crag wrote:This is what u get when u let people into your community
play opus: echo of starsong
I'm an admin, typically on /tg/station Sybil. If you've got anything you'd like to say about me, my adminning, or my decisions, please comment in my admin feedback thread!
Virescent
Byond Username: Virescent

Post by Virescent » #666136

Bawhoppennn wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:54 am
spookuni wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:10 pm I embrace the end
Spookuni. Interesting name I'd say. Now what's important here is that I know it's 'uni' but I can only possibly read it as 'zucchini'. Now I believe 90% that this must be intended, that 'u' raises a few doubts. But I have to assume that is your intent with the name. While on a content standpoint, the idea of a spectral summer squash is rather bland, I suppose the instrumentativeness of the sound it makes feels decent. I think mimicking zucchini as a word is not an unreasonable choice; it is an interesting word. Despite its... 'fatty' origin as word from Italian, somehow it still manages to retain a lighter syllabic structure. This gives a decent verbal resonance when said. The 'sp' appended to the front actually works better with this resonance than the native 'z' of its original word. Using 'u' to replace the 'i' to mirror this better is safer. Nothing special but an okay username.

Rating: 6 lb/ft Crop Yield
BONERMASTER wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:28 pm Hello and good day Mr. Bawhoppennn,

With warmest regards
-BONERMASTER
BONERMASTER, it's been a long time coming to rate yours. Your name exudes confidence perhaps, but more importantly: DOMINANCE. Now obviously a major element of this is the all caps. But, it is not that alone. You are stated that YOU are the master, above all else. And you show off your unwillingness to submit, but rather dominate with the BONER. Bearing it and its strength, is what I hear in your name... Now normally this might be kinda too much, or a bit gross conceptually. But it isn't for yours. It has enough consideration and restraint to be like "Yeah, that's what's happening" but not to be excessive and gratuitous That's key. You strike the excellent balance in this sense, and it pulls together a STRONG username.

Rating: 7.4 Inches T.M.I. (Randy Marsh ver.)
Virescent wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:17 am Depends on what you like, what you think would represent you. Maybe StonedVaporeon? Weedycate? SplashySmashy? Idk.
Virescent, hmm. Your name is enigmatic. You have two angles here that I think you are conveying. The first way I look at it is a scifi fantasy name. Something related to some poison sorcerer perhaps (virus?). The -ent denotes a performative suffix in English, suggesting you are partaking in this poisonous viral process. Certainly this is one way to look at it. But the second way I look at it, and I think the correct interpretation is that your name originates from the Latin 'vīs' (in the plural), which means something like might, lifeforce, or power. So, with that same performative suffix, you are one who is imbued with great strength, great might. Certainly I think would make a good name... however the ambiguity leading to the possible former interpretation takes away from the solidity of the name.

Oh I actually took the name from France but you've got a good way of thinking! https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/virescent Here some more explanation. Not as cool as you put it sadly but in the end, it can be anything you want!
Bawhoppennn
Github User

Post by Bawhoppennn » #666144

Virescent wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:00 am
Bawhoppennn wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:54 am

Oh I actually took the name from France but you've got a good way of thinking! https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/virescent Here some more explanation. Not as cool as you put it sadly but in the end, it can be anything you want!
Ah interesting. Well, context made me assume your name was not related to greenness. And what I was about to say was that I believed both words were etymologically related... My assumption was: colors often come from terms related to plants- plants flourish, grow, and are healthy and full of life- therefore it is probably related to the concept of vitality, considering how similar they are in morphology. However, looking at the Proto-Indo-European, it appears viridis (green in Latin) and vires (pl.) cannot be *directly* linked.
Vis, from Proto-Italic *wīs, from Proto-Indo-European *wéyh₁s (“force, vehemence”), from *weyh₁- (“to rush”).
Viridis, from Proto-Italic *weyziðis, from Proto-Indo-European *weys-. ("to raise, increase", "to produce, procreate")

*weys- and *wéyh₁s seem VERY similar, in form and meaning. It is very possible they are etymologically related. However, unfortunately a distinct connection between them cannot be drawn. And that surprised me, since I have been operating under the assumption they were when writing my post.

For all the new names, worry not everyone! I will rate them soon.

BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #666636

Bawhoppennn wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:38 pm
BeeSting12 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:24 pmdo me
Beesting12. This name has a clear childishness to it. A bee's sting is not something you often think about in day-to-day life, unless you have a childish whimsy as a large part of you (or are a beekeeper I guess). I think really clearly that is the vibe which is portrayed here. Now, I will say that this childishness isn't in an immature sense, but like I mentioned, a sort of whimsical feeling to it. Innocence perhaps. Now we have to approach the elephant in the room though... 12. Let me be candid, this 12 in a vacuum is going to really hurt your name. A highly composite and even number like 12 has a strong feminine presence to it. The issue is, that when we have a childish name to go along with it, you are making the entire name far too soft sounding. The only saving grace here is the specific words of 'bee sting'. E-heavy, s + t + n add some firmness back in it. Manages to scrape back a bit through this coalescence, but still, a really fragile and soft name.

Rating: Extra Soft

Phew, finally had a chance to sit down and get out my thoughts on these names. This thread is gonna keep going as long as people post in it, so feel free to keep giving your names!
Pretty accurate seeing as I was a literal child when I made it (12 years old).
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Bawhoppennn
Github User

Post by Bawhoppennn » #667012

Epoc wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:43 pmrate
Epoc. Now a short and simple name like this is gonna be hit or miss. In this case, I think it's a clear hit. Here's why: short name. Only 4 letters. That is automatically hit or miss. But even more for you, you have 2 syllables in such a short name. That is veryyy risky. Even moreso, you chose some of the most bold vowels: E and O. However, it paid off for you. You have a decent tenor with those two vowels complimenting each other. Furthemore, I think for a short name, 4 letters is a fair amount. No liquid consonants, so that problem is also avoided. I like that the long E starts. This name can easily fit into a gaming community. Good name.

Rating: 200 MYA
Unoki wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:47 pmMiaou
Unoki. Well, your name has a bit of a Japanese-esque flair to it. But I also detect a hint of... some Native American language? I am regrettably not that familiar with any specific ones, other than perhaps Dakota. But it looks slightly familiar to something. In any case, I think the consonance of your name is: high consistency & density. The letters do fit together correctly and solidly. However, the rigidity and rhythm are where it is far weaker. What I mean by this is, what is making the 'Unoki' sound good? Kind of too much of the same noise, and lacks a unique pattern. Still though, nothing like actively bad about your name, just not particularly impressive.

Rating: Green Belt
EmpressMaia wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:04 am:)
EmpressMaia. So you are following a "Title + Name + Other[Optional]" naming format. Now historically I have mixed feelings with these sorts of names. Often they can fill the backbone of a good game community. I am talking the SgtXavier303rd 's of the world. Classic video game usernames. However, they can go quite wrong as people try to make them too fancy or prestigious... the best names are the humble ones. Now you have opted for a royalty title... and even more, shot straight to the top with Empress. Let me be clear, it is bold enough to be enjoyable here. To note, royal titles have a big difference to military titles anyways... Royal titles are about fun, military ranks are about being badass. I think the other reason I like it as well is the name choice of 'Maia'. Which is a good name and the type that would fit with a fictional empress. You wisely have avoided any appends, which serves you well. Because of this, the balance between Empress (high length) and Maia (short length) creates a good balance. Solid name.

Rating: 7 Gem-laden Crowns
Omega_DarkPotato wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:59 am I've had this name since I was 10? 9? years old and playing on a 2d flash shooter online
hit me, chief
Omega_DarkPotato. Hmm. You have a name that is really going for the classic non-specific Internet username style. Basically including funny game/scifi/fantasy/internet/meme/random stuff into one name, a seemingly random manner. And you absolutely seem to follow that schema. What is a DarkPotato? What is an Omega version of it? The actual Greek letter, or the way people online use Greek letters just to sound epic? Because if it is the former, I would appreciate that. And the icing on the cake for those questions is the underscore combining them. Bit of a mid-2000s feel. And I think I could say this even if you didn't mention when you made it. I do think though you provide a certain sort of... coloration in the mind with theme. Omega can be either bright orange, bright gold, or bright neon green. Dark is dark... of course, though not usually jet black but more of a bluish hue to it. Potato because of the previous words, is not just brown, but takes on the coloric sine/cosine of the previous colors, making it a perfect red/purple/green. To be clear though, these aren't some rainbow color scheme, but rather something of a specific color palette. What does this actually mean? Well, it's alright username, even if a bit forward.

Rating: κόσμιος

JusticeGoat
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: JusticeGoat

Post by JusticeGoat » #667176

still going?
Bawhoppennn
Github User

Post by Bawhoppennn » #667236

Yes indeed, I shall review your name in due time.
The name rating won't end until I run out of rating systems to use for names.

CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #667270

Boop
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
BONERMASTER
Byond Username: BONERMASTER

Post by BONERMASTER » #667281

Hello once again Mr.Bawhoppennn,

our most sincere thanks for your analysis. It was very evident and clear that a lot of thought and research went into it, and the result was simply fascinating, everyone here at BONERMASTER & Associates is extremely impressed with your work. We thought such genius and talent to be self-evident for all to see, but we feel that it would be also very appropriate to actually voice our humble appreciation for your work. Please continue your exciting analysis, we would be more than happy to engage in more business with you in the future.

With grateful regards
-BONERMASTER & Associates
SIGNATURE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

*YOUR ADVERTISEMENT COULD BE HERE* - Contact BONERMASTER & Associates for further information
Bawhoppennn
Github User

Post by Bawhoppennn » #667835

JusticeGoat wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:39 am still going?
JusticeGoat. A name like this is one which you don't want to overanalyze the specific components too hard I feel. The reason for this is the fact that your name employs a high diversity in features, while employing strong consistency to that method. Look at the fact that you use every vowel except y exactly ONCE, and only once. That shows a highly intentioned scheme to make a varied but balanced username. That same philosophy then applies to the letter case capitalization usage of the name as well. You employ however as well, enough asymmetry in a longer word followed by a shorter word, to keep it fresh, while not going overboard. Very healthy name, got a nice constancy to it.

Rating: 43 ILD
CPTANT wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:40 pmBoop
CPTANT. Your name reminds me of C-SPAN every single time I see it. I can't see anything but that as a matter of fact... Now of course I do like CSPAN, since it is a non-profit media source that is very politically neutral, but still... it is not what I am thinking about when I think 'SS13 player.' In any case, I mean, aside from the CSPAN connection, I think the lack of a formed initial syllable is an okay choice for this type of name: at the end of the day, full capitalization means you are playing on a level that involves breaking content rules, but rather executing some sort of depictional name. I think the composition of the weak C, weak P, neutral T, strong A, weak N, neutral T, ultimately plays together in a way that could be worse, but isn't breaking any boundaries. Still, the overall name itself doesn't feel that bad, even if when we look deeper it has some flaws. All-in-all, okay, I guess.

Rating: Washout (Bowling)

kinnebian
Byond Username: Kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #667836

yeah, i'd like my name reviewed please.
respect (let him do his thing)
Bawhoppennn
Github User

Post by Bawhoppennn » #668153

kinnebian wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:48 pm yeah, i'd like my name reviewed please.
Kinnebian. Weird mix in this name between like a 19th Century American major-general, and some kind of like, Near Eastern philosopher? The first part is simple... think General Kinney. 1880s or something. Fought some war. That simple. The ending then, the 'b' makes it seem like it's some kind of Armenian religious figure. Then, -an pertaining to this individual. I think it has a neat balance in that sense. Weird cultural mix. The actual name sounds fine too. The only unfortunate parts here are the double -nn-, and the e. If you did a single 'n', or even more importantly, swap in an 'a' or perhaps a 'u' for the 'e', you'd be well-off. Still, feels like a perfectly neutral, if not actually kinda interesting name.

Rating: Birdie

kinnebian
Byond Username: Kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #668337

Bawhoppennn wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:53 pm
kinnebian wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:48 pm yeah, i'd like my name reviewed please.
Kinnebian. Weird mix in this name between like a 19th Century American major-general, and some kind of like, Near Eastern philosopher? The first part is simple... think General Kinney. 1880s or something. Fought some war. That simple. The ending then, the 'b' makes it seem like it's some kind of Armenian religious figure. Then, -an pertaining to this individual. I think it has a neat balance in that sense. Weird cultural mix. The actual name sounds fine too. The only unfortunate parts here are the double -nn-, and the e. If you did a single 'n', or even more importantly, swap in an 'a' or perhaps a 'u' for the 'e', you'd be well-off. Still, feels like a perfectly neutral, if not actually kinda interesting name.

Rating: Birdie
weird cultural mix sounds fair, ive lived in a lot of very different lands and ive picked up some influences on the way. just for note, the name is pronounced:
kin (as in like next of kin)
neb (like ned but with a b)
ian ( :ian: )
respect (let him do his thing)
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #668503

Since you prompted me to post here, sure.
Bawhoppennn
Github User

Post by Bawhoppennn » #668509

NecromancerAnne wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:39 pm Since you prompted me to post here, sure.
NecromancerAnne. Let's see here, so I think your name has some very good qualities. First off: Necromancer. Fucking awesome word. Hell yeah. Then the humble name appended to that, nice contrast. Especially that specific name... Short, 4 letters, but also the 'A' and geminated 'n's are absolutely very distinct to the former word. So that gives an interesting composition. I like the Letter Case, including without the space. I don't think it would ring quite the same way if there were an underscore or space. Same thing with the capitalization. Naturally, the word Necromancer has a pretty strong rhythm to it, and we can see that balance between syllabics carries over, including into the name Anne following it. Finally of course, the connotation is also fun, always like a classic name of engagement like a fantasy profession. Very strong name here.

Rating: 3.2 Kilothaums

saprasam
Byond Username: Saprasam

Post by saprasam » #668511

ranch or cool ranch
(FORMER) tgmc admin (I HAVE REGAINED MY HUMAN RIGHTS)
Bawhoppennn
Github User

Post by Bawhoppennn » #669578

saprasam wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:35 pm ranch or cool ranch
Saprasam (lowercase). I see this name in 2 parts, first half and second half. Sapra... and, spasm. I know it says -asam but I cant see anything other than spasm. Too many Ps and Ss to see much else. That is not a bad thing per se... What I would see here is, the name is better if you actually read it as intended, but that mistake of reading it wrong is too easy to make. Anyways... Good choice with all the As. Those fit well with the P, and the Ss. M ties it well enough together, and the R is not too out of place... It actually adds a bit of spice. I am feeling something here akin to ginger tea, the name overall (and the R adds some cinnamon perhaps?). Certainly a healthy yet not unpleasant name. Good name.

Rating: 888 Ticks

secc
Byond Username: Secc

Post by secc » #671080

ok
Bawhoppennn
Github User

Post by Bawhoppennn » #672290

secc wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:00 amok
Secc. Short name. Short names are HIGH risk, HIGH reward. The shorter it gets, the more that gets true. 4 letters is pretty short, but maybe not THE shortest (3-letter namers are gigachads in confidence). Now what about Secc? Immediately reminded of ss13 itself: sec. Now, is your name shitsec? Well, let's note 5 major elements of your name here:
1. S + e. Good combo to start off, two of the best letters to pair in that order. 2. Seamless full syllable, no phonotactic violations- this makes it much more pleasing when there's nothing else to compensate for it. 3. Double c + c - works very well with the previous s + e combo, and actually mirrors it in a way but is also different enough for some hearty contrast (s and e are unique in that they both have many shared qualities, despite being so different as well). 4. S and C are good letters to compliment each other in general. 5. 3:1 consonant:vowel ratio- this is simple but somehow people always manage to screw it up. All these elements put together make your name very healthy, but not standing out. For a 4-letter name, this is kind of undesirable, as you want something a little unique. Still though, it is healthy to the point where it still can make it as a 4-letter name, and it's fairly good even though short.

Rating: 51.313 Muggeseggelen

Glad to be rating names still! If anyone is confused about their rating please let me know and I will be glad to clarify.

Timonk
Byond Username: Timonk

Post by Timonk » #716044

first
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
In short, this appeal is denied. Suck my nuts retard.
Quoting a legend, at least im not a faggot lol
See you in 12 months unless you blacklist me for this
Timberpoes wrote: I'm going to admin timonk [...]. Fuck it, he's also now my second host vote if goof rejects.
pikeyeskey13 wrote: ok don't forget to shove it up your ass lmao oops u can delete this one I just wanted to make sure it went through
Agux909 wrote:
Timonk wrote:This is why we make fun of Manuel
Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.

The hut has perished at my hands.

The pink arrow is always right.
Jonathan Gupta
Byond Username: BallastMonsterGnarGnar

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #716047

how timonk HOW
Living God

Extraordinary Person

BonChoi
Byond Username: BonChoi

Post by BonChoi » #716048

This is advanced necromancy.
Another bad take provided by yours truly.

Istoprocent1 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:36 pm Baseless claims. I have been to the vault minimum of 38 times, how many suicides?
Bawhoppennn
Github User

Post by Bawhoppennn » #716052

Praise to the enlightened forum jannies for allowing us another round of name rating!

Post here for an in-depth (TM) name rating. No repeats though sadly... so if I already rated it before I can sadly do no further...

I will get to all name posters as soon as possible.

Timonk

Post by Timonk » #716053

Jonathan Gupta wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:45 pm how timonk HOW
I am the forum wizard
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
Timberpoes wrote: I'm going to admin timonk [...]. Fuck it, he's also now my second host vote if goof rejects.
pikeyeskey13 wrote: ok don't forget to shove it up your ass lmao oops u can delete this one I just wanted to make sure it went through
Agux909 wrote:
Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.

datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #716113

Rate me on the Deep Rock Galactic Hazard scale, a scale of 1-5 with Hazard 1 being bad and Hazard 5 being good.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
CMDR_Gungnir
Byond Username: CMDR Gungnir

Post by CMDR_Gungnir » #716118

Bawhoppennn wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 4:23 pm Praise to the enlightened forum jannies for allowing us another round of name rating!

Post here for an in-depth (TM) name rating. No repeats though sadly... so if I already rated it before I can sadly do no further...

Will you start rating Static Names then for the people who you rated in the past?

In case you decide to embrace this clever idea, I offer my two main statics under the cut
NSFW:
Ryuko Tachibana, Morgan Iskandi
Last edited by CMDR_Gungnir on Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jonathan Gupta
Byond Username: BallastMonsterGnarGnar

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #716123

hey can i get my static name rated?
Living God

Extraordinary Person

TheRex9001
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Rex9001

Post by TheRex9001 » #716124

My name is so good because it sounds like I am a fake version of myself and everyone just calls me rex instead
Bawhoppennn
Github User

Post by Bawhoppennn » #716156

CMDR_Gungnir wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 7:04 am
Bawhoppennn wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 4:23 pm Praise to the enlightened forum jannies for allowing us another round of name rating!

Will you start rating Static Names then for the people who you rated in the past?

In case you decide to embrace this clever idea, I offer my two main statics under the cut
NSFW:
Ryuko Tachibana, Morgan Iskandi
That's gotta be a different thread, but since you keep asking I will at some point make such a thread... but this one is still for username ratings.

Anyways I will rate the new names posted guys. But I usually take a couple days to think them over. No time better to think about internet usernames than when cruising down the highway going 80.

Bawhoppennn
Github User

Post by Bawhoppennn » #716611

Sorry that I didn't rate it yet, it's Christmas

DrAmazing343
Byond Username: DrAmazing343

Post by DrAmazing343 » #716612

Real
Walter brought back Crack.
Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Post by Nabski » #716697

This isn't a user name or a IC name. I'm still going for a rating. It's just a name for a little girl.

Cassandra Nobilo REDACTED(My Lastname)
Timonk

Post by Timonk » #716698

Nabski wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:32 pm This isn't a user name or a IC name. I'm still going for a rating. It's just a name for a little girl.

sounds like roman royalty if im honest
but tell her that cassandra is a very cool name
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
Agux909 wrote:

Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Post by Nabski » #716699

Timonk wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:41 pm
Nabski wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:32 pm This isn't a user name or a IC name. I'm still going for a rating. It's just a name for a little girl.

sounds like roman royalty if im honest
but tell her that cassandra is a very cool name
I will tell her that timonk says she got a very cool name, but I don't think she will understand.
► Show Spoiler