How have your beliefs on "what ss13 should be" changed?

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

How have your beliefs on "what ss13 should be" changed?

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #636205

You would be a liar if you said your thoughts on the current socioeconomic state of TG haven't changed, even in the past year or so. What sort of crisis of faith have you guys gone through?
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
InfiniteGalaxies
Byond Username: InfiniteGalaxies

Re: How have your beliefs on "what ss13 should be" changed?

Post by InfiniteGalaxies » #636206

Changing removing, or nerfing things a week after its implemented, even though it should be tested first. Damn coders.
Kinda feels like a sandbox with a bunch if babies stealing toys from each other. And fighting over it.
In my opinion, give things a chance for a bit if it isn't a major change, such as removing/adding some extra plushies. For major PRs, use a test server for that PR, and gain player feedback.
Last edited by InfiniteGalaxies on Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
► Show Spoiler
Plays Manuel and TGMC.

Ticky tocky goes clocky, you did an icky ocky!
Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #636207

when i played on hippie I thought it was about putting shitters in perma or killing them

now i know its about putting them in the gulag for 30 points and watching them suicide on crew monitor
Annihilite111
Byond Username: Annihilite

Post by Annihilite111 » #636211

I used to think Manuel was a hugbox for furries with zero value.
Now i think Manuel is a pretty cool server that could use a little more chaos every now and then. I don't mind the antag restrictions nearly as much as i thought i would have, since it forces you to think instead of not having a gimmick in mind and going unga bunga with a desword. I just wish the halls filled with plasma/exploded/vented to space more often than the once a week it currently happens. The last time we got a flood it was a traitor LRPer who didn't read the MRP rules, and while he did get bwoinked he also improved the round measurably.
blackdav123
Byond Username: Blackdav123

Post by blackdav123 » #636230

Kendrickorium wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:10 pm when i played on hippie I thought it was about putting shitters in perma or killing them

now i know its about putting them in the gulag for 30 points and watching them suicide on crew monitor
You can force a shitter to sit in their little brig box for 1 minute or 10 minutes and they will bitch and moan waiting for the chance to continue shitting. Force them to do work for ten seconds? Brain fries.
Gulag permissions being added to all secoffs has been the greatest achievement of 2022.
Weston Echard on Sybil
massa
Byond Username: Massa100

Post by massa » #636231

the more robust I become the more I endorse more wholesale violence

I've begun enjoying voidcrew with some esteemed colleagues who share my vision and the frags there get really nasty. I wouldn't like SS13 to play like VC, but damn, SS13 doesn't maximize on its potential for going hard.
:donut2: :honkman: :heart: :honkman: :heart: :honkman: :donut2:
Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #636257

blackdav123 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:23 pm
Kendrickorium wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:10 pm when i played on hippie I thought it was about putting shitters in perma or killing them

You can force a shitter to sit in their little brig box for 1 minute or 10 minutes and they will bitch and moan waiting for the chance to continue shitting. Force them to do work for ten seconds? Brain fries.
Gulag permissions being added to all secoffs has been the greatest achievement of 2022.
I dont think 99 percent of em even bother to check that it's only 30 points, not 300 or 700
makes the suicide even funnier
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #636273

At first I was like dang xenobiology is so fun I love being a time stopping dragon

Now im like bro I'm burnt out where is the new game content please I don't want to get banned
► Show Spoiler
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #636280

Kendrickorium wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:25 am
blackdav123 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:23 pm Force them to do work for ten seconds? Brain fries.

I dont think 99 percent of em even bother to check that it's only 30 points, not 300 or 700

makes the suicide even funnier
Every single one of these lines is 100% correct (and/or they don't realize that you can get 30 points by harvesting a handful of iron nodes)

As for me...
Itseasytosee2me wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:03 pm What sort of crisis of faith have you guys gone through?
I used to be a proponent of moving off of stun combat, reducing the power of slips, etc. I definitely thought crawling while down was a cool change, and I still think it is for sliding past people in maint, rolling around on the floor while spamming *moan and *cry, etc., but the more I see the effects of the nerfs to cheap tricks and lethality, the more I believe I was wrong to ever support them.

The more fair the game is, the less likely it is to surprise us with cool, unexpected stories of a well-timed clown PDA throw dooming a nuke op, or a traitor with an e-bow running through maintenance, slamming and jamming people, only to get suddenly dunked by an assistant who had stolen a taser from sec near roundstart while they're executing someone they had ebowed down.

As I've mentioned, the more "fair" the system is, the more ways there are to powergame it (and the more likely you are to see returns from excessive powergaming because), which has been disastrous for the server.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Jonathan Gupta
Byond Username: BallastMonsterGnarGnar

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #636282

Kendrickorium wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:10 pm now i know its about putting them in the gulag for 30 points and watching them suicide on crew monitor
and if they dont suicide?
Living God

Extraordinary Person

Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #636283

I don't play 10 rounds a day anymore and so I'm not that upset about stuff like cult or war ops anymore
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
massa

Post by massa » #636285

Mothblocks wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:54 am I don't play 10 rounds a day anymore and so I'm not that upset about stuff like cult or war ops anymore
those and xenomorphs are my favorite antags though lol
Jonathan Gupta

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #636291

massa wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:58 am
Mothblocks wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:54 am I don't play 10 rounds a day anymore and so I'm not that upset about stuff like cult or war ops anymore
playing against them though? It's a bit of a pain in the ass.
Living God

Extraordinary Person

massa

Post by massa » #636293

Jonathan Gupta wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:15 pm
Civilian research offices should struggle in the face of elder gods, corporate nuclear terrorists and biological weapons designed to cleanse planets of life, though.
Jonathan Gupta

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #636295

massa wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:27 pm
Civilian research offices should struggle in the face of elder gods, corporate nuclear terrorists and biological weapons designed to cleanse planets of life, though.
Heretics are fun to fight against, a cult gangbang is not.
Living God

Extraordinary Person

massa

Post by massa » #636296

Jonathan Gupta wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:01 pm
massa wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:27 pm
Heretics are fun to fight against, a cult gangbang is not.
My favorite rounds have been the total war between a resistant crew and a numerous but outnumbered, armed cult raiding medbay for their first major attack.

Which basically happens every cult round in some way or another, and I love being on either side of it. Shit gets aztec real fast, and it's closer to 'war' than revs or nuke ops could be, because of how many hands are on deck.
Jonathan Gupta

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #636300

I like fighting against cult indivuals with my weapons I have, also revs I hate getting gangbanged by 20 revs smiling deviously.
Living God

Extraordinary Person

InfiniteGalaxies

Post by InfiniteGalaxies » #636305

Jonathan Gupta wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:45 pm I like fighting against cult indivuals with my weapons I have, also revs I hate getting gangbanged by 20 revs smiling deviously.
We do a bit of boning
► Show Spoiler
Plays Manuel and TGMC.

Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #636319

Jonathan Gupta wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:29 am
Kendrickorium wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:10 pm now i know its about putting them in the gulag for 30 points and watching them suicide on crew monitor
and if they dont suicide?
THEN we change it to 300 if they continue being a shitter
Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #636320

Jonathan Gupta wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:45 pm I like fighting against cult indivuals with my weapons I have, also revs I hate getting gangbanged by 20 revs smiling deviously.
i would recommend ghost gang if you are getting burnt out on specific antag modes gupta. observing can be a lot of fun and gives you a larger opportunity for more of the unique antag rolls (blob,wiz,rev,lone op,ninja,etc)
Jonathan Gupta

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #636325

Kendrickorium wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:37 pm
i would recommend ghost gang if you are getting burnt out on specific antag modes gupta. observing can be a lot of fun and gives you a larger opportunity for more of the unique antag rolls (blob,wiz,rev,lone op,ninja,etc)
im not gettin burnt out I just hate gettin teamed on.
Living God

Extraordinary Person

Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #636327

Jonathan Gupta wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:53 pm
have you tried asking them nicely to stop?
Jonathan Gupta

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #636328

Kendrickorium wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:55 pm
sorry kendrick I have a deathwish, but not that much of a deathwish.
Living God

Extraordinary Person

Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #636331

Jonathan Gupta wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:57 pm
you could blow them some kisses?
Qbmax32
Byond Username: Qbmax32
Github Username: qbmax32

Post by Qbmax32 » #636334

i have a burning hatred for assistant players who make it their mission to make other players miserable, where before i didnt care or thought it was funny.
my admin feedback thread

quotes
Spoiler:
wesoda25 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:02 am Qbmax32 is quite literally one of the dumbest individuals I have ever had the misfortune of coming into contact with. He has zero redeemable traits, and honestly I have to suppress my gag reflex every time he shows up in a conversation.
Malkraz wrote:YES
DRINK THE PISS QB
angelstarri wrote:qbmax is a retard
imsxz wrote:mythic please stop you’ve hit rock bottom and you KEEP DIGGING
deedubya wrote:I'll defend to the death your right to scream "NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER" on a constant basis, but I'll also equally defend the right of people to call you a fuckin' pillock for doing it.
datorangebottle wrote:what, not having to act like customer service in a volunteer customer service position?

Here's a rebuttal: you're literally in a customer service slash celebrity position. Volunteer or not.
Malkraz wrote:can you stop posting this shit
Nalzul wrote:Fuck Blob (can you imagine how hot it would be to be gangbanged by a bunch of blobbernauts, the blob, and spores)
Wyzack wrote:qbmax your pathetic display of abhorrent burgercraft has brought shame onto the omnivores
Plapatin wrote:i AM the senate
BONERMASTER wrote:I am a big thinker, and it would only be logical if my character had a big head as well. And glasses. Because only people that think, wear glasses.
feem wrote:i tried to send canisters of urine to the station but ended up turning all oxygen into urine and breaking lavaland and also breathing
Anonmare wrote:Each post in this thread can't settle on what it wants to be, but yet, each one is more cursed than the last.
Beesting12 wrote:please write an apology to this forums, this community, the host, and the internet as a whole for the data storage space you wasted with this complaint.
Vile Beggar wrote:i don't like this thread
imsxz wrote:nervore
FantasticFwoosh wrote:I will whisper sweet nothings that will confuse and perhaps scare you a little, but enhance the experience no-less.
afelinidisfinetoo wrote:By the way, the person who posted that catgirl porn on the github page was me. If anyone wants my private stash just PM me
Nervere wrote:Anything for a femoid.....
Qbopper wrote:I'm a dumb poopy butthead
CitrusGender wrote:god i love it when people feed me my own fried legs
Jonathan Gupta

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #636335

Kendrickorium wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:01 pm
I have a bind for this, and I do(It angers them)
Living God

Extraordinary Person

iwishforducks
Byond Username: Iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #636349

Annihilite111 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:31 pm I used to think Manuel was a hugbox for furries with zero value.
Now i think Manuel is a pretty cool server that could use a little more chaos every now and then. I don't mind the antag restrictions nearly as much as i thought i would have, since it forces you to think instead of not having a gimmick in mind and going unga bunga with a desword. I just wish the halls filled with plasma/exploded/vented to space more often than the once a week it currently happens. The last time we got a flood it was a traitor LRPer who didn't read the MRP rules, and while he did get bwoinked he also improved the round measurably.
i havent even seen a single plasma flood on manuel in my lifetime on it
im gay (and also play the moth “bugger”)
InfiniteGalaxies

Post by InfiniteGalaxies » #636350

iwishforducks wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:47 pm
Annihilite111 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:31 pm I used to think Manuel was a hugbox for furries with zero value.
i havent even seen a single plasma flood on manuel in my lifetime on it
thats because you get banned for it, unless your a nukie or shit, you can plasma flood as a nukie
► Show Spoiler
Plays Manuel and TGMC.

Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #636357

Jonathan Gupta wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:41 pm
Kendrickorium wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:01 pm
I have a bind for this, and I do(It angers them)
it doesnt work if you are shooting at them while you blow the kisses
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #636362

I haven't changed my philosophy around the game much at all. If anything my time in the game has only reinforced the belief that roleplaying and not taking success or failure too seriously is a core element to enjoying the game. The rat race of success is how we end up with a competitive mindset over a storytelling one, and I think if people focus on making storied events, things can improve for themselves and the game as a whole.

It's nice that the rules reflect this a bit more now with rule 12 and even rule 11 to a degree keeping people overly focused on deeply hurting their fellow spessman in any vague way to one up them is a set of precedents that maybe might encourage things for the better.

Basically, I think my pessimism became optimism for what I think was best for the game. Whether it reflects reality is a different matter.
Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #636367

NecromancerAnne wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:56 pm I haven't changed my philosophy around the game much at all. If anything my time in the game has only reinforced the belief that roleplaying and not taking success or failure too seriously is a core element to enjoying the game. The rat race of success is how we end up with a competitive mindset over a storytelling one, and I think if people focus on making storied events, things can improve for themselves and the game as a whole.

It's nice that the rules reflect this a bit more now with rule 12 and even rule 11 to a degree keeping people overly focused on deeply hurting their fellow spessman in any vague way to one up them is a set of precedents that maybe might encourage things for the better.

Basically, I think my pessimism became optimism for what I think was best for the game. Whether it reflects reality is a different matter.
ya know, what i said above about thinking the game was about perma'ing shitters on hippie was very much true, and I came into /tg/ with mostly that mindset. It was a certain run in with a plasmaman throwing chairs at me that I gunned down that I ended up talking with you, Anne. a good long talk about how my attitude as the captain needs to be not about punishing shitters but rather setting a good example for how the crew should act, especially as the captain. it was that boink with you that got me to start changing my mindset about /tg/ and mostly ss13 in general. I took your advice and now I try to make it the core of Sunshine Day's captaining.

I started caring less and less about dying, and started caring a lot more about trying to talk things out with people, and instead of validhunting or stalking people I think might be misbehaving. I'll still gulag someone that is being a shitter but only if i'm 100 percent convinced they are trying to ruin other peoples experiences.

the roleplaying has increased now that I have regulars i'm friends with on the servers, I haven't enjoyed ss13 this much since in all the years I've played and I pretty much have you to thank for that.

players/admins with this attitude and mindset definitely have a positive effect on others, as what I learned from you I try to transfer to other players because I want to see them have fun too, in a way that isn't necessarily combat related
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #636385

Damn, that's honestly something I really needed to hear today. Thank you for that in turn. I really appreciate it.