Maps are becoming too cramped

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
iwishforducks
Byond Username: Iwishforducks

Maps are becoming too cramped

Post by iwishforducks » #638802

What happened to the open and accessible floor plans of Delta’s and Icebox’s bar? Why do all of the department reworks put so many walls in? Why is the bar always hidden away? Where are the common spaces for space men to hang out? I feel like all of the new department reworks look swagger- don’t get me wrong- but they just feel so cramped and/or out of the way that it deincentivizes socialization and cool building projects.
im gay (and also play the moth “bugger”)
Jonathan Gupta
Byond Username: BallastMonsterGnarGnar

Re: Maps are becoming too cramped

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #638806

so true.
Living God

Extraordinary Person

massa
Byond Username: Massa100

Post by massa » #638808

>delta's new service sector
>not "open" and is "too cramped"

if you want to lodge this complaint try not doing it about delta, and especially not its most open, vibrant, active, and vibe-rich new place. the remap was awesome, very comfy.
:donut2: :honkman: :heart: :honkman: :heart: :honkman: :donut2:
Jonathan Gupta

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #638811

massa wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:22 pm >delta's new service sector

if you want to lodge this complaint try not doing it about delta, and especially not its most open, vibrant, active, and vibe-rich new place. the remap was awesome, very comfy.
the kitchen on delta is a bit cramped, bar seems like it as well.
Living God

Extraordinary Person

massa

Post by massa » #638812

Jonathan Gupta wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:25 pm

there's a massive open space behind them, dining space, plenty of room for the bartender/chef to work? though the theater is a bit large, it could take a hit for the bar's sake

new delta's public sector is great specifically for building because it's so open
Jonathan Gupta

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #638813

massa wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:27 pm
Jonathan Gupta wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:25 pm

there's a massive open space behind them, dining space, plenty of room for the bartender/chef to work? though the theater is a bit large, it could take a hit for the bar's sake

new delta's public sector is great specifically for building because it's so open
the building is open, its blank space.
Living God

Extraordinary Person

iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #638814

my issue with delta’s new service is that there’s no *spot* and there’s plenty of things that are chopping up the area. i like the new theatre, though. the kitchen bar has been swept to the side and is honestly kind of small.
iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #638815

also i forgot to mention that the kitchen and bar are two separate entities on nu-delta, hence the “there’s no *spot*”
Alphanerdd
Byond Username: Alphanerdd

Post by Alphanerdd » #638817

I think certain departments being cramped is fine, but I 100% agree about stuff like the kitchen and bar.

On maps like icebox the bar is basically a graveyard since it's tucked away on another Z level.

Being able to see public areas like the bar/kitchen/chapel from the hallways is really important, since that's what attracts people to come and visit.

Some maps like tramstation will have glass floors letting you see down into the bar, but to be honest that doesn't make up for the fact its on a different level than everything else.
semi-regular sybil/terry/manuel background character Josh Hawkins
loathed and hated mime Translucency
professional bad take haver
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Post by RaveRadbury » #638821

Tram and Icebox both need to make the bar on the main z-level. You need to be able to see that the bar is staffed and populated. Social service jobs need visibility to work.
Annihilite111
Byond Username: Annihilite

Post by Annihilite111 » #638826

Icebox atmos has no damn space whatsoever. I'M NOT GOOD AT ATMOS I NEED FUCKING SPACE TO DO SHIT REEEEE
massa

Post by massa » #638844

RaveRadbury wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:16 pm Tram and Icebox both need to make the bar on the main z-level. You need to be able to see that the bar is staffed and populated. Social service jobs need visibility to work.
Tram needs to be one zlevel and 5 destinations
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #638848

The kitchen on Delta is very nearly perfect as someone whos been playing chef a lot recently
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
san7890
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: San7890
Github Username: san7890

Post by san7890 » #638851

I think for IceBox and Tram, they probably went for the "speakeasy" feel for bars. I don't know if I'd like someone upending it for the kitchen to be on the lower z-level instead, since playing the cook is already enough pain as it is at the moment.

Meta and Kilo are the only one with a "spot" that you might be referring to, the "lounge" section. I think people gather where people want to gather as far as maps are concerned, but the bar tends to be a good spot to get fellow "Bar RPers".

More walls are typically put in because we realized having fuck-huge areas isn't the greatest option for navigating or forcing some player interaction. Something something atmospherics too. The more walls, the more rooms, and if each room has a discrete function that several people need at one time, the more they'll tend to be in there at the same time.

I'd like to see specific examples (photographs, please) on this subject since I am invested into it. Please do remember however, the only person likely to make changes to our maps is you. There's a lot of fair game as far as reworks are concerned, and while you can't please everyone with your changes (the Delta service rework has a great split in people who love it and people who hate it), you can always make something better.

PSST: If you go here: https://affectedarc07.github.io/SS13WebMap/, you can view all five maps /tg/ has in it's codebase without needing to download anything. I tend to parse things better when you guys provide photographs, so it'd be nice to provide pointers or eventually trap you guys lead you guys into mapping!
Simultaneously making both the best and worst jokes on the internet. I like looking at maps and code. Learn how to map today!. You may rate me here.
CMDR_Gungnir
Byond Username: CMDR Gungnir

Post by CMDR_Gungnir » #638865

IceBox's bar is my favourite one. Tram's is good too, but Icebox's layout just works better. That kind of like, hole-in-the-wall thing, or the speakeasy, as san referred to it.

It's a really good vibe and I'd much prefer they remain how they are, instead of being brought onto the main z-level and ruined. If someone wants to go to the bar, they'll walk down the stairs and see if anyone is there.
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #638867

RaveRadbury wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:16 pm Tram and Icebox both need to make the bar on the main z-level. You need to be able to see that the bar is staffed and populated. Social service jobs need visibility to work.
Big agree. The whole point of the bar is to be a place to fraternize with your fellow spacemen, if it’s not right in your face as you go about your duties then it’s not accessible enough and will net little traffic.

Even after service was moved to the middle of Tram there was little to no bar activity. Icebox is a bit better but still has a similar issue. Especially if there’s any sort of atmos disturbance in which case you get the annoying skinny firelocks blocking the stairs off.
Spoiler:
san7890
In-Game Game Master

Post by san7890 » #638869

The atmos coders yell at us if we don't have skinny firelocks :(
Simultaneously making both the best and worst jokes on the internet. I like looking at maps and code. Learn how to map today!. You may rate me here.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #638881

Everybody likes comfy tucked away Harry Potter bars like the one on Ice Box. And it’s certainly not cramped. My criticism of what they did to BoxStation is that the layout is unintuitive and there’s a lot of unused, dare I say it, liminal (transitory, like foyers or antechambers) spaces.
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #639111

Yes and no. I like an area feeling full and lived in, but I like having the room for activities and projects. Surely there is a way to meet both?
Hugs
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #639123

massa wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:28 pm
agreed. Tram definitely needs to be longer instead of fuller. Would make the tram feel like a sort of "escape manuver" for antags. And would make fights on the tram that much more fierce.

the lower z-level should be the entirety of that maps maint.
► Show Spoiler
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #639126

that's true but tram also needs to be a circle
Last edited by cacogen on Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
san7890
In-Game Game Master

Post by san7890 » #639127

Tram has a few Multi-Z centric gimmicks (including the General Population Brig), so I don't really think it would make a great deal of sense to have it be flattened out again. In fact, if Tram were flat, it would just be a worse Delta (as far as being fuck-huge). It allows for some tightness between departments in a long station.
BlueMemesauce
Byond Username: BlueMemesauce

Post by BlueMemesauce » #639128

Before, Delta Service was just one room with Bar, Kitchen, and Theater which made it a great place to hang out.
Now Delta Service is just a huge hallway where the Bar, Kitchen, and Theater are all separated from each other and were sectioned off to their own individual areas
It just feels like a mall with a bunch of different stalls and the huge hallway doesn't really feel like a place to hang out.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #639129

why does the trainstation xbox hueg brig/permabrig need to be on a multi-z map to work
massa

Post by massa » #639133

Shadowflame909 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:10 pm
massa wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:28 pm
agreed. Tram definitely needs to be longer instead of fuller. Would make the tram feel like a sort of "escape manuver" for antags. And would make fights on the tram that much more fierce.

the lower z-level should be the entirety of that maps maint.
and make the tram go through space and maybe have space bridges if it gets busted, with holofans at both ends that self replenish
san7890
In-Game Game Master

Post by san7890 » #639136

cacogen wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:35 pm why does the trainstation xbox hueg brig/permabrig need to be on a multi-z map to work
Because it's set up in such a fashion where instead of timed cell sentences, you program a time onto that person's ID card (or something) and then toss them down the pit to mingle with the perma prisoners until their timed sentence is up.
massa wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:42 pm -snip-
and make the tram go through space and maybe have space bridges if it gets busted, with holofans at both ends that self replenish
The Tram is just a modified elevator (yes), and elevators can not hold their own atmospherics. I doubt the tram will ever hold it's own atmospherics. The original plan was for the tram to travel through space with it being the only connection... but it is impossible for the tram to contain it's own atmospherics system both due to the fact that it is not possible within the code, and the fact that this new tax on the server's processing power would absolutely shitcan the prospect of maintainers ever considering putting it in the game out of performance concerns.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #639137

san7890 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:46 pm
cacogen wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:35 pm why does the trainstation xbox hueg brig/permabrig need to be on a multi-z map to work
Because it's set up in such a fashion where instead of timed cell sentences, you program a time onto that person's ID card (or something) and then toss them down the pit to mingle with the perma prisoners until their timed sentence is up.
but the stuff to set the time on their ID and the locker you put their belongings in are on the same level as the brig itself? there's no obligation to throw people over the railing and it's disadvantageous as you have to go and get them out of the permabrig to put their ID on them and take their belongings if you do
san7890
In-Game Game Master

Post by san7890 » #639138

cacogen wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:52 pm -snip-

but the stuff to set the time on their ID and the locker you put their belongings in are on the same level as the brig itself? there's no obligation to throw people over the railing and it's disadvantageous as you have to go and get them out of the permabrig to put their ID on them and take their belongings if you do
Yeah
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #639140

san7890 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:46 pm The Tram is just a modified elevator (yes), and elevators can not hold their own atmospherics. I doubt the tram will ever hold it's own atmospherics. The original plan was for the tram to travel through space with it being the only connection... but it is impossible for the tram to contain it's own atmospherics system both due to the fact that it is not possible within the code, and the fact that this new tax on the server's processing power would absolutely shitcan the prospect of maintainers ever considering putting it in the game out of performance concerns.
we will accept fake-space tile carpet for the visual immersion as an optimal replacement
► Show Spoiler
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #639204

san7890 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:06 pm
cacogen wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:52 pm -snip-

Yeah
So is there a part where you admit that the general population brig does not have to be multi-z to work, so it’s not preventing Tram becoming a single z level?
blackdav123
Byond Username: Blackdav123

Post by blackdav123 » #639226

Tram and Icebox are my favorite maps because they are both multi Z and manhunts are much more fun with the kinds of escape routes they both have
Weston Echard on Sybil
san7890
In-Game Game Master

Post by san7890 » #639227

cacogen wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:33 am -snip-

So is there a part where you admit that the general population brig does not have to be multi-z to work, so it’s not preventing Tram becoming a single z level?
Here I’ll tell you what I told goof the other day
► Show Spoiler
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #639292

It’s much easier for Tram to do this because of it’s Multi-Z nature with the whole “Warden’s Office on the Brig Overlook” scheme. The warden has direct view of a glimpse of the GenPop prisoners, and can also readily access it without having to traverse a few hallways like the other four maps.
I see what you mean. That's a good point.

But the genpop brig on Tram is very big (too big in my opinion) and the warden's floor holes only cover a very small part of it. The warden can look through their cameras, but a lot of the time it can be time-consuming to find where the prisoners are (they should have motion sensors that show on the UI imo) and to follow any commotion with the regular camera console UI (compared with the advanced camera console, which would be a breeze) and there's always the possibility of one or more of the cameras being out or the prisoners being off-camera.

My point is that even on Tram the warden can only reliably see a very small part of the genpop brig. And you could create something similar to the overlook on Tram if you put the genpop brig adjacent to the warden's office, with glass for him to look through (though this would probably require very creative reshuffling of the maps). So I don't think the genpop brig not being a panopticon is an argument against it being brought to single-z stations. And I think the advanced camera console only for the permabrig (with deliberate camera blindspots for prisoners, of course) would be a good fix for this issue.