Pre-Election "I'm a headmin" Q&A

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Pre-Election "I'm a headmin" Q&A

Post by Timberpoes » #647585

With the headmin elections coming up next month and this term soon to be over, I figured I'd open up a thread with a bit of a Q&A. I was looking to answer questions that anyone has about what being a headmin actually entails and the kind of stuff that goes on behind the scenes. If the other headmins or any GMs want to chime in with answers or experiences they totally can too. I'll do my best to give better-than-non-answers or, if I can't give an answer, try to explain why.

This isn't super serious or formal or anything, I don't even know if anyone cares.

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=28546 is of course a wonderful starting point that gives a very high-level overview of what headmins do, but I'd wager people probably have specific questions about how we come to decisions, how we organise our time and what kind of commitment being a headmin actually is behind that big list of stuff we supposedly do.

So I welcome questions here - From players and admins both.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
Rageguy505
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Rageguy505

Re: Pre-Election "I'm a headmin" Q&A

Post by Rageguy505 » #647592

Are trial admins eligible to run for headmins?
wubli
Byond Username: Wubli

Post by wubli » #647600

Rageguy505 wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:23 pm Are trial admins eligible to run for headmins?
players can run for headmins, there's no restriction as long as you're not banned
argentina campeón :peel: :peel: :peel:
what's cooking good looking i'm jill desouza and i am here to try
Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #647602

theres a new term already? sheesh
toemas
Byond Username: Realthoman_

Post by toemas » #647605

what? hasnt this term just started?
toemas
Byond Username: Realthoman_

Post by toemas » #647606

Bro that was literally YESTERDAY.
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #647607

they used to be shorter
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
Imitates-The-Lizards
Byond Username: Typhnox

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #647645

I'm pretty sad, the current headmin team has been amazing.

Has anyone who isn't a current or former staff member actually won a headmin election?
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #647646

No but a lot of people have gotten pretty close--PKP got 2nd place as a player for instance
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #647721

The realities are that headmin work starts from day -1. I was already integrating into last term during my time as elect, helping out with policy, handling internal admin work like trial promotions and trial extensions.

Any player-headmin would be required to learn every aspect of being an admin and a headmin very quickly, lest all decisions simply be made without them by the other two headmins.

That includes admin training, Discord Jannie work, in-game adminning, understanding rules and policies enough to be able to give meaningful input into appeals and complaints, the ability to RDP into the game servers themselves for whatever purposes the headmin team might need (there's local code overrides, configs, server management, etc.)

That's ignoring the joy of what it's like to be a headmin, which is a constant exercise in diplomacy between players; admins; players and admins; admins and admins; and players and players. Admins can and will tell you to get fucked if they don't like what you're saying and will inevitably drag things they disagree with you saying to a policy discussion. Also throw in maintainers for good measure, that have complete access to admin channels and are an omnipresent part of the admin's day-to-day discussions.

My opinion is that the learning curve for all the soft skills that go into being a headmin in modern tgstation can take you an entire 6 month term to learn even when you get a headstart as an admin.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #647746

No election threads are allowed until after oranges creates the main election thread.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
NSFW:
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #649083

Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
NSFW: