Cant put nuke disk inside Captains Safe anymore

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

Cant put nuke disk inside Captains Safe anymore

Post by Kendrickorium » #670112

my master plan of "assume the nuke ops are idiots" doesnt work anymore

are we literally catering to idiot nuke ops in coding now

should really get some new management for the coders, I think
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Re: Cant put nuke disk inside Captains Safe anymore

Post by wesoda25 » #670114

Good. The only safe that should know the sweet touch of the nuke disk is the real one.
[this space reserved]
Striders13
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Striders13

Post by Striders13 » #670119

use the vault safe, it's way tougher anyway
► Show Spoiler
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #670169

You're not supposed to be able to put it in that safe, which is only for the spare ID card and has game busting properties for reasons of design.
AlamoTurtle
Byond Username: Alamo Turtle

Post by AlamoTurtle » #670384

I remember wedging the bridge fire axe into the safe too after turning the safe code to ash. Good times.
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #670386

Kendrickorium wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:22 am my master plan of "assume the nuke ops are idiots" doesnt work anymore

do... do you not know about the lone op tensioner?
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
NSFW:
Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #670568

MrStonedOne wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:19 am
Kendrickorium wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:22 am my master plan of "assume the nuke ops are idiots" doesnt work anymore

do... do you not know about the lone op tensioner?
the only time i would ever put the nuke disk in there is during war ops

watching them finally get around all the Rwalls to finally figure out no one has any bombs to open the safe is highly satisfying

lolswat putting it in there is because they are a powergamer and want the bag space
TheLoLSwat
Byond Username: TheLoLSwat

Post by TheLoLSwat » #670960

Kendrickorium wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:12 pm
the only time i would ever put the nuke disk in there is during war ops

watching them finally get around all the Rwalls to finally figure out no one has any bombs to open the safe is highly satisfying

lolswat putting it in there is because they are a powergamer and want the bag space
RedBaronFlyer
Byond Username: RedBaronFlyer

Post by RedBaronFlyer » #671321

Break the meta of elite modsuit + esword + eshield please I beg you every nukie round is the same. I haven't seen a mauler in MONTHS.
WARNING, Prolonged exposure to my opinions can be mentally scarring or in some cases, FATAL
Stamper of papers, pusher of crates, and the cleaner of floors.
I'm Eugine Adrian Hynes on Manuel, I'm very uncool.
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:11 pm I assume he did it elsewhere because it's fucking goofball and he never half-asses his shitty ideas, he full asses them so both cheeks are absolutely slathered in shit
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #671391

RedBaronFlyer wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:21 am Break the meta of elite modsuit + esword + eshield please I beg you every nukie round is the same. I haven't seen a mauler in MONTHS.
any concrete ideas on how?
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #671395

oranges wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:08 pm
RedBaronFlyer wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:21 am Break the meta of elite modsuit + esword + eshield please I beg you every nukie round is the same. I haven't seen a mauler in MONTHS.
for every item you equip that starts with e your health goes down 25%
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
NSFW:
san7890
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: San7890
Github Username: san7890

Post by san7890 » #671421

this was done two months ago https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/72584

the only reason why i cared because i saw it happen enough times close together than it was "done to death". if you have an OP world-ending gigachad always-win strategy (exploiting flaws in systems concocted by otherwise unassuming developers): DON'T USE IT EVERY ROUND FOR TWO DAYS STRAIGHT

also bee ported it lol
Simultaneously making both the best and worst jokes on the internet. I like looking at maps and code. Learn how to map today!. You may rate me here.
RedBaronFlyer

Post by RedBaronFlyer » #671426

Give the mauler sick kicks.

Jokes aside, I got no idea. the elite modsuit + esword + shield just combos so well together. Most crew weaponry is laser-based (including anything cargo can provide within 20 minutes), so you have like, four people on the entire station that get ballistic weaponry. Nukies can usually just run away if their shield is about to bust, which usually means out into space (crew are almost never wearing space suits in the early part of a nukie fight) or into a maint tunnel (very stupid idea for the crew to follow but I've seen it happen). Most of the time I see people running the meta only die when they fuck up really bad*, or they get bum-rushed by a crew that doesn't fear death, or the rare occasion of the absolute mad lad toxins expert who made six maxcaps. No idea if it's different on Sybil and Terry.

* This is usually because of borgs acting like a horse and carrying a crew member to shoot at the nukie, as they're usually the only ones that can chase down nukies reliably. It's basically a 50/50 tossup of whether the AI will get its laws changed during a nukie round because all it takes is someone to say, "I'MA KILL NUKIES" for the ai to bolt upload.

The only thing I kinda see countering the combo is when people build the glass window checker pattern in hallways, because it takes nukies so long to run through (plus slowdown from lag due to all the spacing/explosions) that the crew can shoot them enough to bust their shields and the nukies won't have enough time to run away.

I'd be interested in seeing an experienced nukie's point of view on this, as I've only been on the crew side of nukie rounds.
WARNING, Prolonged exposure to my opinions can be mentally scarring or in some cases, FATAL
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:11 pm I assume he did it elsewhere because it's fucking goofball and he never half-asses his shitty ideas, he full asses them so both cheeks are absolutely slathered in shit
blackdav123
Byond Username: Blackdav123

Post by blackdav123 » #671470

its really just a combination of how ballistics are harder to get and crew never want to adapt to new things.

considering it is just a melee build with laser resistance and good block chance you just defeat it like any other
  • Body toss remains the king of anti-anti-laser combat. Deswords and energy shields alike are brought to their knees by any man or borg with a body to chuck.
  • Ballistics are still absolutely viable, even if the lethal ones are gone. Rubbershot and beanbags will still drop a nukie like they would any crew member. Rubbershot and autorifles would also be very effective at smashing a hardsuit's shields for you to get a final blow in.
In the event that a nukie is on stims and unstunnable, you really just need to let their chems run out and keep running away until you can stun them again.

The biggest point is that no, solo crew arent going to beat a full build nukie 9/10 times. If you really want to kill one of these nukies you should at least have two people with guns shooting at them.

I dont know which server RedBaronFlyer is playing on where nukies buy the same thing 24/7, but at least on sybil there is a lot of variety in nukie builds.
Weston Echard on Sybil
RedBaronFlyer

Post by RedBaronFlyer » #671481

blackdav123 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:33 am I dont know which server RedBaronFlyer is playing on where nukies buy the same thing 24/7, but at least on sybil there is a lot of variety in nukie builds.
I play on Manuel. Admittedly, I tend to play stuff like Cargo Tech, which means that I usually only see nukies for an extended period when things get super FUBAR. Though I have observed a lot of nukie rounds.

I 100% accept that my viewpoint is highly flawed.
GPeckman
Byond Username: GPeckman

Post by GPeckman » #671485

You can also take out a nukie with relatively simple chem grenades (200u nitrous, for example) but the most reliable way by far to use one is to set the detonation timer to instant and just run up to the nukie. Obviously, most people aren't keen on sacrificing themselves, so this rarely gets used, but it's a perfectly viable strategy, and trading one crewmember for one nukie is a trade that very much favors the crew.