I need YOUR help. (Yes, you.)

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)

What will my Career path be?

Game design bachelor's + Masters
No votes
IT security bachelor's + Cybercrime masters
12%
Game design bachelor's + get a job
3%
IT security bachelor's + get a job
44%
Game design Bachelor's + study at a uni
6%
IT security Bachelor's + study at a uni
No votes
IT security bachelor's + Cybercrime masters + game design Bachelors + Masters for the full experience (at least 10 years!)
15%
Other (post it nerd)
21%

Total votes: 34

Timonk
Byond Username: Timonk

I need YOUR help. (Yes, you.)

Post by Timonk » #672954

It is almost time for me to decide what to study, and i still don't know what I want to study, but i narrowed it down to 2ish options.
So basically to get this i need to explain the German school system: i can't go study at a uni but i can study at a so called "Hochschule" (theoretical + 1 practice year) to get a bachelor's degree. After i have that i can go study at a university.

I want 2 options:
Game design bachelor's + masters (goes into AI n special shit)
IT security bachelor's and masters in Cybercrime
However i have the power to just do one of these bachelor's and go study at a uni or get a job
right now I'm heavily leaning towards game design but that has a fickle future, IT security is much more secure. I was thinking of studying IT security then game design but I'm not sure if i want to sit in school for 10 years

If you didn't get this please look at the poll i laid out all options i mentioned there. Yes. I really need YOUR help!
This is not a shizo post, this is my real life situation
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
In short, this appeal is denied. Suck my nuts retard.
Quoting a legend, at least im not a faggot lol
See you in 12 months unless you blacklist me for this
Timberpoes wrote: I'm going to admin timonk [...]. Fuck it, he's also now my second host vote if goof rejects.
pikeyeskey13 wrote: ok don't forget to shove it up your ass lmao oops u can delete this one I just wanted to make sure it went through
Agux909 wrote:
Timonk wrote:This is why we make fun of Manuel
Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.

The hut has perished at my hands.

The pink arrow is always right.
Timonk

Re: I need YOUR help. (Yes, you.)

Post by Timonk » #672955

I forgot to mention it's more like game development than design but it has both
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
Timberpoes wrote: I'm going to admin timonk [...]. Fuck it, he's also now my second host vote if goof rejects.
pikeyeskey13 wrote: ok don't forget to shove it up your ass lmao oops u can delete this one I just wanted to make sure it went through
Agux909 wrote:
Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.

HeyHey
Byond Username: Heyhey69

Post by HeyHey » #672968

X. Move to America and sell used cars
kinnebian
Byond Username: Kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #672970

youre actually insane to seek advice here for something this important
respect (let him do his thing)
dirk_mcblade
Byond Username: Dirk_McBlade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #672971

IT security probably has better job potential than game design.
Capsandi
Byond Username: Capsandi

Post by Capsandi » #672986

As it was written by John O'Connell in the wake of the great depression, ruminating on his prior pessimism following his own future plans being dashed by economic turmoil,

"...he who I cease to be descended down far enough to reach the mouth of this murky pool. Talking for a time to a condemned man and attempting to make use of this puddle of people suffering from an imagined pressure both justifying and absolute, I dredged something up from the seabed.
Drying it, and daring not to look at it, I named it my future.
The man witnessing this, only a few years my senior, despite knowing the nature of the world and the means in which persistence could be achieved, said nothing. Although his youth provided him the vitality of a lifetime, he who stares into the future only to admire his death is entirely without agency."
Timonk wrote:
Wesoda25 wrote:Genuinely think they should be blacklisted.
You have clearly never seen his dick
Lower your tone with me if your tracked play time doesn't look like this:
Flatulent wrote:of course you can change religion doing it while islamic however makes you lose your head from happiness
Capsandi

Post by Capsandi » #672989

Basically what im trying to say is that the guys who made the Oregon trail are still alive today and nobody knew what a dutch angle was for 75 years after film was invented so game design classes today is like going to film school in the 1910s. If you want to just like make game then do it as a side gig while working on a more reliable future career. Speaking of just like make game, ludum dare 53 is on april 28 - mayday, its good practice even if the themes can suck.
Timonk wrote:
Flatulent wrote:of course you can change religion doing it while islamic however makes you lose your head from happiness
warbluke
Byond Username: Warbluke

Post by warbluke » #672994

You should study welding. Any time anyone asks for career advice I know that they're the sort of person who should take up welding.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #672997

i voted other and my other idea is don't let the tgstation forums decide your career choices
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #673000

Armhulen wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:36 am i voted other and my other idea is don't let the tgstation forums decide your career choices
kinnebian wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:14 am youre actually insane to seek advice here for something this important
both of these people are extremely correct.

if you insist on listening to our advice, pick any of the IT options. much more secure industry. from what I understand game dev is hell no matter where you go.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
iwishforducks
Byond Username: Iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #673001

IT security can be a lot of fun if you have the right amount of autism for it, else you can just be pretty much a server monkey on a big tech company. which can be a lot of maintenance work. either way, it's a good choice. you'll pretty much always have work available

game design... if you're not super passionate about it i wouldn't recommend it because it can tear you apart. i don't know what your personal background is but if you enjoy modding/coding games and if you're able to list off 5 favorite games that define your tastes then i would say you can have an extreme amount of fun with it (speaking from a game designer, but i never went to college for it); zero job stability, high chance of burnout- but can be incredibly rewarding if you're willing to stick with it
im gay (and also play the moth “bugger”)
conrad
Byond Username: Conrad Thunderbunch

Post by conrad » #673003

kinnebian wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:14 am youre actually insane to seek advice here for something this important
I voted other to second (or third at this point) this.

I suggest you seek a careers advisor to figure out what you want, and to see if university is really what you want/need.

Good luck!
I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here. :hug::beer: 𝒯𝒶𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶 𝓈𝒶𝒷𝒶𝓉𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓁. :faggot::heart:
And now a word from our sponsors:
dendydoom wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:51 am conrad is a badass
Armhulen wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:08 pm
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:13 pm
Kendrickorium wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:53 am
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:24 am
conrad wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
Speak for yourself two-eyes.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
absolutely based, do you wear an eyepatch?
That would render a cyclops blind.
RedBaronFlyer wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:52 pm
Drag wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
It would somehow manage to pick Birdshot Station for headmin if we did that
Lacran wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
Vekter wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
dendydoom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
RedBaronFlyer
Byond Username: RedBaronFlyer

Post by RedBaronFlyer » #673004

IT/IT security is way, WAY safer and a more viable career path than any sort of game development job. It's usually only when a company is imploding or facing a severe depression that it lays off its IT and IT security. There is the occasional moronic CEO that doesn't understand how IT works that fucks around and finds out why purging the IT department is a bad idea (just look at twitter), but even then, there are usually other companies salavating at the bit to get good and experienced IT personnel In today's work climate, IT is basically necessary in nearly every job field in some form or another. There's a pretty common sentiment from people who don't understand IT that think that IT people are lazy, but it's like janitors. If you don't think, "damn, where the hell is the janitor this place looks like shit," then they're doing their job. Same with IT/IT security.

95% of video game development jobs are cannon fodder, this is due in part because the supply (people wanting to work in the game industry) is significantly higher than the demand. You get paid like shit, get shit hours, barely any benefits, crunch time, and it's fairly normal for studios to liquidate part of the dev team when a project is done. I would only recommend it if you have an extreme passion for the field. This is pretty universal in both triple-A and double-A development. Results may vary when it comes to indie development. The only studio that I know of that doesn't fall into this stereotype is Valve, but you'd need loads of experience/have done something extremely impressive for them to even consider hiring you, and even then, it's a clique hellhole because it turns out that if you have a company with 300 people and no official hierarchy, then people will just make an unofficial one lead by the most sociopathic individuals possible.

Obviously, you should talk to experts in the field/read up on the field before dipping your toes in. The last thing you would want is to go into either field just to discover you hate them. Take anything said in this thread with a grain of salt and talk to actual veterans of the field you wanna step into. We're all just idiots on the internet that like spessmen go horizontal simulator.
WARNING, Prolonged exposure to my opinions can be mentally scarring or in some cases, FATAL
Stamper of papers, pusher of crates, and the cleaner of floors.
I'm Eugine Adrian Hynes on Manuel, I'm very uncool.
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:11 pm I assume he did it elsewhere because it's fucking goofball and he never half-asses his shitty ideas, he full asses them so both cheeks are absolutely slathered in shit
Capsandi

Post by Capsandi » #673012

you guys are all saying what I already used a tasteful quote from a renowned journalist's autobiography to describe
Timonk wrote:
Capsandi

Post by Capsandi » #673013

you guys are all saying what I already used a tasteful quote from a renowned journalist's autobiography to describe
Timonk wrote:
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #673018

I don't know much about the German system so I can't advise you on how much schooling to pursue. IT security is definitely the safer career field though, so I will recommend that one. I voted IT sec/get a job but if there's a good difference in pay for the masters then go for that.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Timonk

Post by Timonk » #673046

i think i failed to elaborate why i picked these courses

i picked Game development because i genuinely failed many times to get into it by myself. if it is not the focus of my life, i find it hard to acquire new skills. if it is not taught to me by someome else, it is even harder for me. you may ask: how do you know you are interested in game programming? well, the answer is that i have tried many times and that it is one of my goals to create the game i like the most. i do not know what that game is like yet but i will figure it out. there was also that one time where i created a very small "game" in scratch in high school when it used to have the game development course.

i am more interested in the cybercrime master than the IT security bachelor. however, IT security is also something i want to do. i considered a path in engineering but the school i looked at had no course i was really interested in. my school is locally known for its forensical abilities, it even was featured in a skit in an investigative report about a bigger crime from a big newspaper where they interview experts on random aspects of the crime (in this case how they got found out)

my school also has a big focus on game development. in the course they teach you all the shit you need to develop a game on your own, they regularly push games onto steam (quite a new development though, they dont have that many yet) and apparently teach you some web dev stuff too. they also have their own esports team
► Show Spoiler
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
Agux909 wrote:

CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #673053

For the love of god get an actual IT job and do game design as a hobby instead of going full time game design. Gamedevs are treated like shit by the industry.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
kinnebian
Byond Username: Kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #673055

Timonk wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:54 am
► Show Spoiler
as does most of our admin team...
respect (let him do his thing)
Timonk

Post by Timonk » #673057

CPTANT wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:40 am For the love of god get an actual IT job and do game design as a hobby instead of going full time game design. Gamedevs are treated like shit by the industry.
i hear you bro i am aware
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
Agux909 wrote:

BONERMASTER
Byond Username: BONERMASTER

Post by BONERMASTER » #673062

You can save yourself 10.010,- € of debt (Bafög) and 5+ years of your life by just downloading the newest Unreal Engine SDK and watching their tutorials, and there you go, master game designer in 2 weeks.

If there is any field of study that you should consider blowing 10k on, it would be on how to dress your virtual avatar appropriately, the naked chest of yours is just simply vulgar.

With fine regards
-BONERMASTER
SIGNATURE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

*YOUR ADVERTISEMENT COULD BE HERE* - Contact BONERMASTER & Associates for further information
Drag
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Thedragmeme

Post by Drag » #673075

Just go off the grid and be a hobo in a box car.

It worked out for some dude in shadows over loathing
Timonk

Post by Timonk » #673146

BONERMASTER wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:11 pm You can save yourself 10.010,- € of debt (Bafög) and 5+ years of your life by just downloading the newest Unreal Engine SDK and watching their tutorials, and there you go, master game designer in 2 weeks.

If there is any field of study that you should consider blowing 10k on, it would be on how to dress your virtual avatar appropriately, the naked chest of yours is just simply vulgar.

With fine regards
-BONERMASTER
under certain conditions i get half off and 1k debt per year that i only have to pay off at the end doesnt sound bad tbh
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
Agux909 wrote:

Timonk

Post by Timonk » #673147

Drag wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:31 pm Just go off the grid and be a hobo in a box car.

yea but i cant play ss13 that way, ever considered that?
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
Agux909 wrote:

Timonk

Post by Timonk » #673156

Timonk wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:52 pm
BONERMASTER wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:11 pm You can save yourself 10.010,- € of debt (Bafög) and 5+ years of your life by just downloading the newest Unreal Engine SDK and watching their tutorials, and there you go, master game designer in 2 weeks.

With fine regards
-BONERMASTER
under certain conditions i get half off and 1k debt per year that i only have to pay off at the end doesnt sound bad tbh
i was informed wrongly it is indeed 10k if i max it out which will happen but if i pay it back earlier (than 20 years?) i get back some of it
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
Agux909 wrote:

kayozz
Byond Username: Kayozz11

Post by kayozz » #673189

52% says IT security. Don't let us down.
NOBODY CARES ABOUT YOUR GREENTEXT
Timonk

Post by Timonk » #673260

kayozz wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:24 pm 52% says IT security. Don't let us down.
it has been 1 day and i have at least 1 month left
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
Agux909 wrote:

Ziiro
Byond Username: Ziiro
Github Username: Ziiro

Post by Ziiro » #673271

CPTANT wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:40 am For the love of god get an actual IT job and do game design as a hobby instead of going full time game design. Gamedevs are treated like shit by the industry.
this and I'm also of the opinion that game design can't be taught because anyone decides to teach it is already irrelevant because the general concepts and needs of the industry are in constant evolution.
Timonk

Post by Timonk » #673304

Ziiro wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:06 pm
this and I'm also of the opinion that game design can't be taught because anyone decides to teach it is already irrelevant because the general concepts and needs of the industry are in constant evolution.
its not the main focus, game design is one part of it. its more like game development than design
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
Agux909 wrote:

conrad
Byond Username: Conrad Thunderbunch

Post by conrad » #673378

Timonk wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:04 pm
Ziiro wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:06 pm
its not the main focus, game design is one part of it. its more like game development than design
There's no escape Timonk. The games industry as a whole treats people like shit.

Do it as a hobbie so you don't start hating videogames.
I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here. :hug::beer: 𝒯𝒶𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶 𝓈𝒶𝒷𝒶𝓉𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓁. :faggot::heart:
And now a word from our sponsors:
dendydoom wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:51 am conrad is a badass
Armhulen wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:08 pm
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:13 pm
Kendrickorium wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:53 am
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:24 am
conrad wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
Speak for yourself two-eyes.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
absolutely based, do you wear an eyepatch?
That would render a cyclops blind.
RedBaronFlyer wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:52 pm
Drag wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
It would somehow manage to pick Birdshot Station for headmin if we did that
Lacran wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
Vekter wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
dendydoom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
Timonk

Post by Timonk » #673386

I am aware that the game industry treats people like shit
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
Agux909 wrote:

Timonk

Post by Timonk » #673387

I am gonna look like I'm on hopium but in Germany unionizing is actively encouraged and endorsed and i don't think they can lay off entire unions at once (unless they are someone like Ubisoft and you are crazy if you think i will work for them)
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
Agux909 wrote:

Drag
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Thedragmeme

Post by Drag » #673392

Timonk wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:53 pm
Drag wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:31 pm Just go off the grid and be a hobo in a box car.

Be a hobo with wifi...
Timonk

Post by Timonk » #673395

Drag wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:33 am

Be a hobo with wifi...
That would not be off the grid
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
Agux909 wrote:

Annihilite111
Byond Username: Annihilite

Post by Annihilite111 » #673434

Timonk wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:22 am
Drag wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:33 am

Be a hobo with wifi...
My friend who's a chemical engineer recently told me that one of the manual workers at the factory he's employed at was caught living in one of the break rooms. He'd apparently been squatting for over two years without being found out, using the decontamination showers to wash himself and distributing his food across several fridges. The factory makes high explosives...
Timonk

Post by Timonk » #673500

Annihilite111 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:32 pm
Timonk wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:22 am

My friend who's a chemical engineer recently told me that one of the manual workers at the factory he's employed at was caught living in one of the break rooms. He'd apparently been squatting for over two years without being found out, using the decontamination showers to wash himself and distributing his food across several fridges. The factory makes high explosives...
what did he do while he was not at work?
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
Agux909 wrote:

Annihilite111
Byond Username: Annihilite

Post by Annihilite111 » #673502

Timonk wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:23 pm
what did he do while he was not at work?
I dunno. He worked shifts so i guess he mostly just slept and ate. I've no idea how he did his laundry either since i don't think laundromats are a thing in the nearby town. This is all third hand gossip anyway, so who knows how accurate it is
CitrusGender
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: CitrusGender
Github Username: CitrusGender

Post by CitrusGender » #673554

get a masters in accounting and a CPA
Bawhoppennn
Github User
Byond Username: Bawhoppennn
Github Username: Bawhoppen

Post by Bawhoppennn » #673998

I would say do lots of things to hedge your bets, so you can shift into many areas as it becomes suitable;
Just keep your options open and do some nice genuine hard work
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

<KorMobile> you're a hero

[21:20:53] <%oranges> Baw "has cute legs" hoppen
DEAD: ADMIN(Owegno) says, "Nothing lewd happens in adminbus sadly."

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

(F) DEAD: Professor DonkPocket says, "Admins preventchaos with good messages"

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> russians have no souls so magic enrages them
<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
Timonk

Post by Timonk » #674107

as to why i am leaning towards game development:
it gives you lots of opportunity. my ultimate goal in life is to get rich enough to not have to worry about money. the gaming industry is high risk high reward, you just have to make a game popular enough. i can count on one hand the singular devs who have made a killing on their games but no server IT security specialists come to mind when i think of "rich person". you will always stay in that position. sure, you can make a popular app but those skills are acquired in your free time. its relatively save and high paying, but i want to be wealthy before retirement.
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
Agux909 wrote:

Timonk

Post by Timonk » #674108

of course im not gonna make an easy app clone and call it Squidward game or something i am not immoral
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
Agux909 wrote:

Epoc
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Epoc

Post by Epoc » #674138

If your goal is "I wanna work for video games!", about the single worst thing you could do is to pursue a Game Dev degree.

At the end of your curriculum, your only marketable skills will be an extremely limited knowledge of a few different aspects of working with a game engine. If you're lucky, at best you can expect to be hired at a large studio in an intern role to place trees and rocks around an empty field. You will be paid dirt and be asked to live in an expensive city. You will be crunched into dust, routinely working 80+ hour weeks. Statistically, you will drop out of the industry in 3-6 years. If you're somehow still in the industry after that time passes, and if by the grace of god you have not been laid off at the end of the project as is routine at large studios, you MIGHT be promoted into some sort of middle management position. At this point, 10 years from when we're having this conversation right now, you MIGHT begin to make the wage you'd expect to make right out of school in IT. You will have an extremely difficult time promoting out of this role because the head creative positions are already filled by the people who started the company, and because you have no skills beyond placing trees. To have gotten a job that was not placing trees, you would have to have persued a degree in a hyper-specific field, like CS or Fine Art, to work on the engine technology or the studio's internal tools, or do concept art, or make music, or etc.

If you decide to still get your Game Dev degree and go solo instead, you can expect to be under a massive debt burden from school, while also bringing in 0 money until your game is finished. You might work a side job to pay the bills, but then you're seriously cutting into the hours you might otherwise spend on your game just to break even. You could decide to pursue crowd-funding, but people have cooled off on the idea, and new projects from solo first-time devs rarely reach their funding goals.

Say you somehow manage to work on your game for several years, and end up with a completed product. Now you have to market it. If you don't have an existing social medial presence, this can be extremely difficult. Not to say it can't be done, but it's hard. Over 10,000 games are released on Steam every year, or about 27 games PER DAY. You're competing with every single one of those titles for the consumer's time and money.

I encourage you to go play with this for a bit to generate a random game and see the average number of reviews: https://www.generatormix.com/random-ste ... -generator. A pessimistic estimate says 1 in 30 people leave a review on a game. Of the 5 or 6 games I randomly picked, nearly all of them had about 20-30 reviews, which is just under 1000 sales. If you sell your game for $10, that's $10k, minus Steam's 30%, minus whatever taxes your country might impose. Let's call it a few thousand dollars. A few thousand dollars for several year's work. The games that do manage to become break-out hits are few and far between. Indie games suffer from a strong case of survivor bias in the public consciousness. We can all think of a dozen different indie games that made their creators millions, but we forget that for every one of those, a thousand others failed miserably.

I say all of this not to dissuade you from pursuing game dev if it's something you're truly passionate about. If it's your dream, follow your heart. I would just say:
1. Don't get a Game Dev degree. It is quite literally a scam designed to suck tuition money out of well-meaning people who like video games. You would be infinitely better served starting with a basic game project and following tutorials as you have questions. If there's any one particular aspect you enjoy or want to know more about, study that in isolation.
2. Don't go into this field if your goal is to make lots of money. As I said above, the pay at major studios is insultingly low, and indie devs routinely lose money on their projects. You'd have a better chance of becoming a millionaire by playing the lottery. Or, if you want any amount of financial security at all, do what literally all other smart people do and get a regular job, live frugally, and start an investment fund early & pay into it regularly.
Timonk

Post by Timonk » #674425

What you got wrong is that they teach the whole process from what I've seen. From Game Design to Art reaching into Marketing your game. But apart from these pessimistic views on these things you assume i would not be able to do at the end, you are right.
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
Agux909 wrote:

Timonk

Post by Timonk » #674433

Things they say i will be able to do after studying (probably depending on the direction i specialize in)
Bachelor:
Spoiler:
Game Developer, Engineer or Designer
Technical Artist
Animation Designer
3D Designer/Modeller
Level Designer or Environmental Designer
Concept Artist
Interface and Usability Designer
Mobile App Developer
E-Learning Developer
Web Developer/Designer
"Manager for interactive media"
Software Developer
Master
Spoiler:
cba to translate it right now but the most important one is probably data scientist and the module for deep learning
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
Agux909 wrote:

Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #674439

Have you considered clown college? I'm sure all the hours spent on a space clown sim confer a great deal of transferable skills.

That and law school from all the peanutting and rules lawyering we do around here.
► Show Spoiler
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #674662

you're missing chatGPT prompt expert