rts gamers thread

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
iwishforducks
Byond Username: Iwishforducks

rts gamers thread

Post by iwishforducks » #673631

it’s a shame the rts genre is but of a rotting husk these days. i remember when the shelves of game stores were filled with rts games. we really need to return to the rts genre it was filled with so much character and love. the ui for all of them was always so creative and experimental yet still practical. these days it’s all Minimalism. here’s an example of star wars empire at war’s ui, which i consider to have the second coolest ui of all time (star wars republic commando is #1)

age of empires 2 was great, but age of mythology was my bread and butter as a child. it had so many cool units like hydras and krakens. but the best part was you got to build titan gates and summon in massive titans. any Ra mains out there?

god i just want the golden age of rts games back bros it makes me so sad thinking about it. petroglyph is interested in making empire at war 2 but they have to get the green light from EA to make it… and even then they’d have EA breathing down their necks so, maybe it’s for the best.

anyhow, here’s almost all of my favorite rts games. im gonna talk more at length about some of these when i wake up:

- star wars empire at war
- starcraft 2 (never played 1, sorry)
- halo wars (THE OLD ONE NOT THE SHITTY MODERN ONE)
- age of empires 2
- age of mythology
- creeper world 1/2/3 (i didnt like 4)
- lego mars mission crystalien conflict (you are a true rts player if you played this)
- command and conquer
im gay (and also play the moth “bugger”)
AwkwardStereo
Byond Username: AwkwardStereo

Re: rts gamers thread

Post by AwkwardStereo » #673635

iwishforducks wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:46 am- starcraft 2 (never played 1, sorry)
I easily played like 5000 hours of SC2 custom games. Those days are gone now, but glad they happened.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #673640

iwishforducks wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:46 am - lego mars mission crystalien conflict (you are a true rts player if you played this)
Absolutely heavenly game
conrad
Byond Username: Conrad Thunderbunch

Post by conrad » #673641

AwkwardStereo wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:53 am
iwishforducks wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:46 am- starcraft 2 (never played 1, sorry)
I easily played like 5000 hours of SC2 custom games. Those days are gone now, but glad they happened.
So true bestie.

There was one where you could build battleships using modular parts, it was dope. Today I'm sure stuff like Cosmoteer and Space Haven were directly inspired from it.

I'm currently playing a lot of Northgard, even though I suck nuts at it. Idk, reminds of that old vikings game called Cultures, which was one of my most favourite childhood games.
I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here. :hug::beer: 𝒯𝒶𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶 𝓈𝒶𝒷𝒶𝓉𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓁. :faggot::heart:
And now a word from our sponsors:
dendydoom wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:51 am conrad is a badass
Armhulen wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:08 pm
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:13 pm
Kendrickorium wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:53 am
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:24 am
conrad wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
Speak for yourself two-eyes.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
absolutely based, do you wear an eyepatch?
That would render a cyclops blind.
RedBaronFlyer wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:52 pm
Drag wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
It would somehow manage to pick Birdshot Station for headmin if we did that
Lacran wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
Vekter wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
dendydoom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
vect0r
Byond Username: Vect0r

Post by vect0r » #673642

Supreme Commander Forged Aliance all the way baby
VENDETTA+Cecilia Vujic
conrad

Post by conrad » #673643

Ducks I just re-read your list where the fuck is Dawn of War
I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here. :hug::beer: 𝒯𝒶𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶 𝓈𝒶𝒷𝒶𝓉𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓁. :faggot::heart:
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
conrad wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
Drag wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
Lacran wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
Vekter wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
dendydoom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
Striders13
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Striders13

Post by Striders13 » #673652

battle for middle earth 1 and 2 were awesome. I still play a few games vs AI once in a while. It even somehow still gets new mods from the community. There's been some talk about a fanmade remake but that might have been abandoned.
StarCraft 2 is awesome, love the campaign, love custom games, not a fan of versus (GOLD TERRAN THO!!)
► Show Spoiler
Kubisopplay
Byond Username: Kubisopplay

Post by Kubisopplay » #673655

vect0r wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:59 am Supreme Commander Forged Aliance all the way baby
Shit, we need some way to organize a tg Forged Alliance Forever game
Silicon main, enough said
Tell me how badly I fucked up here: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=32575
vect0r

Post by vect0r » #673667

Kubisopplay wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:51 am
vect0r wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:59 am Supreme Commander Forged Aliance all the way baby
What's your faction?
VENDETTA+Cecilia Vujic
Jackraxxus
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Jackraxxus

Post by Jackraxxus » #673675

Striders13 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:28 am battle for middle earth 1 and 2 were awesome. I still play a few games vs AI once in a while. It even somehow still gets new mods from the community. There's been some talk about a fanmade remake but that might have been abandoned.
StarCraft 2 is awesome, love the campaign, love custom games, not a fan of versus (GOLD TERRAN THO!!)
When are we playing Heart of the Swarm co-op Dex
iamgoofball wrote:Vekter and MrMelbert are more likely to enforce the roleplay rules Manuel is supposed to be abiding by than Wesoda or Jackraxxus are.
Striders13
In-Game Admin Trainer

Post by Striders13 » #673683

Jackraxxus wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:29 am
Striders13 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:28 am battle for middle earth 1 and 2 were awesome. I still play a few games vs AI once in a while. It even somehow still gets new mods from the community. There's been some talk about a fanmade remake but that might have been abandoned.
When are we playing Heart of the Swarm co-op Dex
I can't get nep to spend his life savings on buying it for some reason
► Show Spoiler
Tegun
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Tegun

Post by Tegun » #673686

Classics are classics, but when it comes to good gameplay I have to say the first Company of Heroes is brilliant. Sadly Relic seems to have dropped the ball after that, with both sequels to that being worse and Dawn of War 3 being a clusterfuck. It was a pretty looking clusterfuck but a clusterfuck regardless. And to be fair, having played the other DoW games AFTER having played CoH, they felt like dumbed down versions of CoH. WH IP is a big deal, but as TW:WH shows, gameplay and quality really factor as well.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #673687

Tegun wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:51 am Classics are classics, but when it comes to good gameplay I have to say the first Company of Heroes is brilliant. Sadly Relic seems to have dropped the ball after that, with both sequels to that being worse and Dawn of War 3 being a clusterfuck. It was a pretty looking clusterfuck but a clusterfuck regardless. And to be fair, having played the other DoW games AFTER having played CoH, they felt like dumbed down versions of CoH. WH IP is a big deal, but as TW:WH shows, gameplay and quality really factor as well.
They already messed up the first Company of Heroes with the Opposing fronts expansion though. Both the British and Panzer Elite factions are absolute garbage design. The strength of CoH was always that engagements are for a very large part determined by the positioning of your units, flanking was the supreme art of Company of Heroes. Then they introduce 2 factions that just move in a huge blob.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #673715

Armhulen wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:57 am
iwishforducks wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:46 am - lego mars mission crystalien conflict (you are a true rts player if you played this)
Absolutely heavenly game
the fucking music in that game is so good. track #1 has to be my absolute favorite. i can hear the echoes of the miners in my head right now. god what an amazing game.
JusticeGoat
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: JusticeGoat

Post by JusticeGoat » #673717

i was a fan of broodwar and Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun
iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #673721

i remember playing this on my laptop and it could only run it at like 1/5th the speed. i played it on a cutting edge desktop years later and was able to finally play it at 1/2th speed. i could never figure out what the hell was going on and usually just spent my time massing nukes until the four AI enemies fell- which may or may not be related to my FPS troubles in hindsight. god bless that game. supreme commander 2 was such a let down.
iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #673722

conrad wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:00 am Ducks I just re-read your list where the fuck is Dawn of War
with all due respect what the fuck is a dawn of war
kinnebian
Byond Username: Kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #673723

iwishforducks wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:46 am it’s a shame the rts genre is but of a rotting husk these days. i remember when the shelves of game stores were filled with rts games. we really need to return to the rts genre it was filled with so much character and love. the ui for all of them was always so creative and experimental yet still practical. these days it’s all Minimalism. here’s an example of star wars empire at war’s ui, which i consider to have the second coolest ui of all time (star wars republic commando is #1)

it’s a shame the rts genre is but of a rotting husk these days. i remember when the shelves of game stores were filled with rts games. we really need to return to the rts genre it was filled with so much character and love. the ui for all of them was always so creative and experimental yet still practical. these days it’s all Minimalism. here’s an example of star wars empire at war’s ui, which i consider to have the second coolest ui of all time (star wars republic commando is #1)

respect (let him do his thing)
iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #673727

Tegun wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:51 am Classics are classics, but when it comes to good gameplay I have to say the first Company of Heroes is brilliant. Sadly Relic seems to have dropped the ball after that, with both sequels to that being worse and Dawn of War 3 being a clusterfuck. It was a pretty looking clusterfuck but a clusterfuck regardless. And to be fair, having played the other DoW games AFTER having played CoH, they felt like dumbed down versions of CoH. WH IP is a big deal, but as TW:WH shows, gameplay and quality really factor as well.
i always despised the gameplay of company of heroes. to me it will never be an rts game no matter what people tell me. base building mechanics, technology, all of that is almost completely absent in favor of Rock Paper Scissors... and let me tell you buddy. fuck rock paper scissors shit in RTS games fuck that so much. units should naturally just counter each other instead of just be Better than a specific other unit. GOD I FUCKING HATE ROCK PAPER SCISSORS
iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #673729

kinnebian wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:48 pm ???
what does this even mean
vect0r

Post by vect0r » #673737

We should do a FAF game. I always change my favorite faction from Aeon and the funny donut, or seraphim and the funny everything.
VENDETTA+Cecilia Vujic
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #673766

iwishforducks wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:53 pm
i always despised the gameplay of company of heroes. to me it will never be an rts game no matter what people tell me. base building mechanics, technology, all of that is almost completely absent in favor of Rock Paper Scissors... and let me tell you buddy. fuck rock paper scissors shit in RTS games fuck that so much. units should naturally just counter each other instead of just be Better than a specific other unit. GOD I FUCKING HATE ROCK PAPER SCISSORS
Company of Heroes is the OPPOSITE of rock paper scissors. It is a game of position. Does a machine gun beat riflemen? You can't say it depends on how they approach. Does a tank beat an anti tank gun? Once again you can't say it depends on whether it is flanked or not. The entire game is build around units working together to outflank your opponent and funnel them into your weapons. It is full of design choices to enforce this. Mines for example slow tanks so they are now suddenly easy targets for anti tank guns, sticky bombs and panzerfausts.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
vect0r

Post by vect0r » #673767

Who here has played Homeworld?
VENDETTA+Cecilia Vujic
AwkwardStereo
Byond Username: AwkwardStereo

Post by AwkwardStereo » #673784

vect0r wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:45 pm Who here has played Homeworld?
I've heard it's one of the finest RTS games to have been made. Never had the time for it, but when I do it's on my back burner.
Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #673827

i'm down
vect0r

Post by vect0r » #673833

Kendrickorium wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:41 pm
i'm down
What's your faction?
VENDETTA+Cecilia Vujic
Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #673843

vect0r wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:46 pm
Kendrickorium wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:41 pm
i'm down
What's your faction?
Cybrans, i always thought the giant spider doomsday robot was fucking cool

played a lot more total annihilation than Supcom though
Bawhoppennn
Github User
Byond Username: Bawhoppennn
Github Username: Bawhoppen

Post by Bawhoppennn » #673955

Tbh my favorite RTS is blob
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

<KorMobile> you're a hero

[21:20:53] <%oranges> Baw "has cute legs" hoppen
DEAD: ADMIN(Owegno) says, "Nothing lewd happens in adminbus sadly."

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

(F) DEAD: Professor DonkPocket says, "Admins preventchaos with good messages"

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> russians have no souls so magic enrages them
<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
TheRex9001
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Rex9001

Post by TheRex9001 » #674002

Dawn of war is a 40K rts, its really good and if you mod it its even better
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #674003

Bawhoppennn wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:09 am Tbh my favorite RTS is blob
same, too bad it's stupid rare/hard to get.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
Striders13
In-Game Admin Trainer

Post by Striders13 » #674006

Bawhoppennn wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:09 am Tbh my favorite RTS is blob
playing AI is better. Too bad your minions have shit pathfinding and always kill eachother.
► Show Spoiler
conrad

Post by conrad » #674010

iwishforducks wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:41 pm
conrad wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:00 am Ducks I just re-read your list where the fuck is Dawn of War
with all due respect what the fuck is a dawn of war
The RTS for Warhammer 40k. I was full of jank, but is still a cult classic that still gets mods and attention.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #674026

I'm down for SupCom by the way.
Kubisopplay
Byond Username: Kubisopplay

Post by Kubisopplay » #674271

If i remember this thread when I have some more free time Ill hit you up.
Silicon main, enough said
Tell me how badly I fucked up here: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=32575
vect0r

Post by vect0r » #674275

Same here
VENDETTA+Cecilia Vujic
iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #674290

i'd be down for supcom i just haven't played it in forever. apparently i already had a FAF account and shit so i had to juggle that but i got it working so i'd be down for it.
Omega_DarkPotato
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Omega_DarkPotato

Post by Omega_DarkPotato » #674573

now is when i cackle, rub together my hands, and declare brazenly that Starsector is a real time strategy game in ship combat
Super Aggro Crag wrote:This is what u get when u let people into your community
play opus: echo of starsong
I'm an admin, typically on /tg/station Sybil. If you've got anything you'd like to say about me, my adminning, or my decisions, please comment in my admin feedback thread!
kinnebian
Byond Username: Kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #674583

Omega_DarkPotato wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:33 pm now is when i cackle, rub together my hands, and declare brazenly that Starsector is a real time strategy game in ship combat
i played starsector a few times but i was bad at the combat so i didnt like it
respect (let him do his thing)
Hoxha
Byond Username: Haddam Sussein

Post by Hoxha » #674692

damn i need to play dawn of war again and finally figure out how to play necrons without eating shit
iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #674700

@armhulen if we ban off topic counting can we please fucking ban starsector derailing threads thanks
conrad

Post by conrad » #674717

iwishforducks wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:53 am @armhulen if we ban off topic counting can we please fucking ban starsector derailing threads thanks
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #674726

battle for middle earth
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #674946

iwishforducks wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:53 am @armhulen if we ban off topic counting can we please fucking ban starsector derailing threads thanks
i think that's pretty fair if it gets out of hand