Nuclear Oops? Peanut

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

Nuclear Oops? Peanut

Post by Kendrickorium » #684702

Bottom post of the previous page:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=34024

discuss
massa
Byond Username: Massa100

Re: Nuclear Oops? Peanut

Post by massa » #684816

Cheshify wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 6:27 am People are showing basic kindness game is a hugbox
no i get very autistic about the things i like and i'm very particular

my tastes in all media and sensory feedback in general is usually better than everyone else's to the point my opinions are morally just and right
:donut2: :honkman: :heart: :honkman: :heart: :honkman: :donut2:
The Wrench
Byond Username: The Wrench

Post by The Wrench » #684821

TheRex9001 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 5:43 am Name sucks, this deserves the note and is just in general rule 1 stuff. Imagine being the mapper behind one of these stations thinking you can finally go play the game and have some fun without being bombarded by "I hate X" and then the fucking nukie called "FUCK TRAM FUCK NORTHSTAR FUCK BIRDSHIT" shows up. That must fucking suck, keep the note

Hot take, but if you can’t take the heat get out of the kitchen. autists are going to autisticly screech about changes they don’t like. If you can’t handle that as a coder, don’t code for an open source game where your changes will be forced on everyone.
Jonathan Gupta wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:32 pm all you godamn do is whine and complain come up with ideas, stop bitching for christs sake.
Flatulent wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:02 am You and anyone who supports the rule 3 as described by mso is simply put not an lrp player

The Wrench

Post by The Wrench » #684822

datorangebottle wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 7:27 am
sinfulbliss wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 6:09 am Rule 1 doesn't apply to antagonists like nukies who are sent to blow everyone up, nor is it there to protect a non-sentient entity like a map.
It's not protecting the map, it's protecting the creator of the map, who is, or at least was, a player before getting harrassed out of the game by things like this. To you, it's a lighthearted "hahaha get it guys i'm joking about not liking the map", to them, it's yet another slap in the face they've received for dedicating a large amount of their time to a project.
Rule 4 affords no out of character protections. You can't bully someone in OOC just because you're an antagonist in the round, as an example. Setting a nukie name is an OOC act. Your character doesn't choose their family name at the start of their mission; you're not interacting with a console, or saying something, to change your name. It's a completely OOC prompt with very few, mostly non-impactful IC consequences.
Setting your nukie name to FUCK TRAM ALL MY HOMIES HATE TRAM isn't going to do much beyond annoy players who like tram. You aren't rewarded for or encouraged to have a stupid or funny name.
Indie-ana Jones wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 6:38 am On topic about the actual peanut, if you can get a note for a name like that, can you get a note for saying you don't like a map in OOC since you're technically being a dick to the mapper who made it? If you say you don't like a new feature/removal in OOC, is that a rule violation to the coder who made the change? If those examples don't count, why does it count for nuclear operative names? Where is the line in the sand drawn differently? Sorry to play the devil's advocate here, but I'm curious on the justification.
IMO it ultimately depends on how far you go. It's very contextual.
If you go on a full crag-tier rant about how the coders are dung-guzzling wankers that eat raw alligator cocks for breakfast because they removed nanites, I could see an admin muting OOC and giving you a stern talking to. "I don't like <X map>" is probably fine. going into detail is probably fine. it's when you're abusive or excessive about it that it becomes a harassment issue. Expletives generally don't lend themselves well to constructive criticism.
When you take it into a nukie name, you're taking OOC (your opinion of the map) into IC(your character's last name).
Boot wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 6:34 am stay on Manuel.
>someone says they struggle with people verbally abusing them/their work on a regular basis
>proceeds to use weird server tribalism & rib them
I don't care if this is serious or not, the timing seems real off. You kinda suck.
Apologies for the forbidden double post, but this is an open source game, and no one is entitled to play here. Same goes for coders, if you enforce your map on people, and a vocal minority don’t like it. Learn to cope or ignore them. This is an open source project, so buck up sonny and not let them get to you, or log off. No one deserves special treatment because of how much they contribute or admin. We are all equal.
Jonathan Gupta wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:32 pm all you godamn do is whine and complain come up with ideas, stop bitching for christs sake.
Flatulent wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:02 am You and anyone who supports the rule 3 as described by mso is simply put not an lrp player

CMDR_Gungnir
Byond Username: CMDR Gungnir

Post by CMDR_Gungnir » #684823

Cheshify wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 5:02 am It is everywhere. I cannot go anywhere in the community because I'm told straight to my face that the project I care about is shit without any constructive feedback behind it. I literally do not want to play the game, admin, or contribute because it feels like feeding a pack of coyotes that'll just gnaw at my arm.
To be another positive voice speaking up, I adore the map. I loved it, back in the older days, and I love the changes made to it to make it suit /tg/. I'm always excited to see it pop up in the map vote and if I'm being perfectly honest, I've not voted for anything else when it's been in the list. People just don't like it because it's not the same square map like Meta or Delta. If they actually played on it a couple times, they'd know where everything is.
oranges wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 9:29 am no no, you're confused, i'm not upset that people hate me, I don't like that they hate people like chesify who are literally super nice and do nothing to them but try to contribute their passion.

because that's exactly what allows the situation where I am the headcoder despite all of my negative flaws.
I distinctly remember that you removed my gitban without even an apology from me, because I promised that even if I meant what I said to/about you, I just wouldn't do it again.

You can be a pretentious jackass and I often disagree with a lot of your takes, but you do genuinely care about the people behind the scenes, which is the most important thing.
Archie700
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Archie700

Post by Archie700 » #684825

Adam Klein wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 2:03 pm Apologies for the forbidden double post, but this is an open source game, and no one is entitled to play here. Same goes for coders, if you enforce your map on people, and a vocal minority don’t like it. Learn to cope or ignore them. This is an open source project, so buck up sonny and not let them get to you, or log off. No one deserves special treatment because of how much they contribute or admin. We are all equal.
The idea of "grow thicker skin" is so easy to say when you're not the one in the hotbox.
Harusha wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:07 pm Archie, are you a Christian?
conrad
Byond Username: Conrad Thunderbunch

Post by conrad » #684826

Adam Klein wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 1:53 pm
TheRex9001 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 5:43 am Name sucks, this deserves the note and is just in general rule 1 stuff. Imagine being the mapper behind one of these stations thinking you can finally go play the game and have some fun without being bombarded by "I hate X" and then the fucking nukie called "FUCK TRAM FUCK NORTHSTAR FUCK BIRDSHIT" shows up. That must fucking suck, keep the note

Hot take, but if you can’t take the heat get out of the kitchen. autists are going to autisticly screech about changes they don’t like. If you can’t handle that as a coder, don’t code for an open source game where your changes will be forced on everyone.
What a silly little thing to say.
I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here. :hug::beer: 𝒯𝒶𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶 𝓈𝒶𝒷𝒶𝓉𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓁. :faggot::heart:
And now a word from our sponsors:
dendydoom wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:51 am conrad is a badass
Armhulen wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:08 pm
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:13 pm
Kendrickorium wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:53 am
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:24 am
conrad wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
Speak for yourself two-eyes.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
absolutely based, do you wear an eyepatch?
That would render a cyclops blind.
RedBaronFlyer wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:52 pm
Drag wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
It would somehow manage to pick Birdshot Station for headmin if we did that
Lacran wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
Vekter wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
dendydoom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #684827

Indie-ana Jones wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 6:38 am On topic about the actual peanut, if you can get a note for a name like that, can you get a note for saying you don't like a map in OOC since you're technically being a dick to the mapper who made it? If you say you don't like a new feature/removal in OOC, is that a rule violation to the coder who made the change? If those examples don't count, why does it count for nuclear operative names? Where is the line in the sand drawn differently? Sorry to play the devil's advocate here, but I'm curious on the justification.
No, it'd be handled like anything else - just saying you don't like it or voicing your opinion isn't against the rules, but admins reserve the right to ask you to knock it off if you're being obnoxious about it.
Adam Klein wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 2:03 pm Apologies for the forbidden double post, but this is an open source game, and no one is entitled to play here. Same goes for coders, if you enforce your map on people, and a vocal minority don’t like it. Learn to cope or ignore them. This is an open source project, so buck up sonny and not let them get to you, or log off. No one deserves special treatment because of how much they contribute or admin. We are all equal.
My experience on the forums got a lot better when I added boot to my ignore list. Just saying.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
massa

Post by massa » #684828

Adam Klein wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 1:53 pm

it's just bad vibes bro

no one wants those vibes because some people got lost a few times on their way to botany
Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #684830

Adam Klein wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 2:03 pm
sinfulbliss wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 6:09 am Rule 1 doesn't apply to antagonists like nukies who are sent to blow everyone up, nor is it there to protect a non-sentient entity like a map.
It's not protecting the map, it's protecting the creator of the map, who is, or at least was, a player before getting harrassed out of the game by things like this. To you, it's a lighthearted "hahaha get it guys i'm joking about not liking the map", to them, it's yet another slap in the face they've received for dedicating a large amount of their time to a project.
Rule 4 affords no out of character protections. You can't bully someone in OOC just because you're an antagonist in the round, as an example. Setting a nukie name is an OOC act. Your character doesn't choose their family name at the start of their mission; you're not interacting with a console, or saying something, to change your name. It's a completely OOC prompt with very few, mostly non-impactful IC consequences.
Setting your nukie name to FUCK TRAM ALL MY HOMIES HATE TRAM isn't going to do much beyond annoy players who like tram. You aren't rewarded for or encouraged to have a stupid or funny name.
If you go on a full crag-tier rant about how the coders are dung-guzzling wankers that eat raw alligator cocks for breakfast because they removed nanites, I could see an admin muting OOC and giving you a stern talking to. "I don't like <X map>" is probably fine. going into detail is probably fine. it's when you're abusive or excessive about it that it becomes a harassment issue. Expletives generally don't lend themselves well to constructive criticism.
When you take it into a nukie name, you're taking OOC (your opinion of the map) into IC(your character's last name).
>someone says they struggle with people verbally abusing them/their work on a regular basis
I don't care if this is serious or not, the timing seems real off. You kinda suck.
Apologies for the forbidden double post, but this is an open source game, and no one is entitled to play here. Same goes for coders, if you enforce your map on people, and a vocal minority don’t like it. Learn to cope or ignore them. This is an open source project, so buck up sonny and not let them get to you, or log off. No one deserves special treatment because of how much they contribute or admin. We are all equal.
except, we arent equal, all we do is PLAY here, and i'm on team coderbus for this one.
can you IMAGINE how many fucking hours chesh put into making northstar, only to, as he described, be attacked on all sides, in game, out of game, discord, etc etc. I don't have to be a game designer or coder to know that that's soul crushing when you put a lot of effort into something only to have a bunch of people scream at you that it sucks

it's absolutely necessary for people like chesh to speak up about how this personally affects him, so that we can take a step back every once in awhile and remind ourselves that we're all just hanging out in a small corner of the internet and that these guys are trying to make it better for us as players
yeah, chesh could get thicker skin, and get over it, but then we'd just have another oranges, and just one of him is enough, thanks

put disco inferno back into buyable shuttles plzkthx
Last edited by Kendrickorium on Wed May 10, 2023 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
massa

Post by massa » #684833

being calloused over and demoralized is bad, actually
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #684834

conrad wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 12:45 pm I don't like Birdshot and Northstar, but I see them improving over time and I got no reason or right to just go ballistic at them.
Yes or no question: are nuclear operatives the type of antagonist that would "go ballistic" at things?
Big boy followup question (don't strain too hard): if yes, should their name be a valid part of that?
Spoiler:
conrad
Byond Username: Conrad Thunderbunch

Post by conrad » #684835

sinfulbliss wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 2:56 pm
conrad wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 12:45 pm I don't like Birdshot and Northstar, but I see them improving over time and I got no reason or right to just go ballistic at them.
Yes or no question: are nuclear operatives the type of antagonist that would "go ballistic" at things?
Big boy followup question (don't strain too hard): if yes, should their name be a valid part of that?
The dent in my skull was not prospected for platinum, so I don't believe the hodgepodge.
I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here. :hug::beer: 𝒯𝒶𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶 𝓈𝒶𝒷𝒶𝓉𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓁. :faggot::heart:
And now a word from our sponsors:
dendydoom wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:51 am conrad is a badass
Armhulen wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:08 pm
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:13 pm
Kendrickorium wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:53 am
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:24 am
conrad wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
Speak for yourself two-eyes.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
absolutely based, do you wear an eyepatch?
That would render a cyclops blind.
RedBaronFlyer wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:52 pm
Drag wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
It would somehow manage to pick Birdshot Station for headmin if we did that
Lacran wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
Vekter wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
dendydoom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
The Wrench

Post by The Wrench » #684837

Kendrickorium wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 2:36 pm
Adam Klein wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 2:03 pm
except, we arent equal, all we do is PLAY here, and i'm on team coderbus for this one.
can you IMAGINE how many fucking hours chesh put into making northstar, only to, as he described, be attacked on all sides, in game, out of game, discord, etc etc. I don't have to be a game designer or coder to know that that's soul crushing when you put a lot of effort into something only to have a bunch of people scream at you that it sucks

it's absolutely necessary for people like chesh to speak up about how this personally affects him, so that we can take a step back every once in awhile and remind ourselves that we're all just hanging out in a small corner of the internet and that these guys are trying to make it better for us as players
yeah, chesh could get thicker skin, and get over it, but then we'd just have another oranges, and just one of him is enough, thanks

put disco inferno back into buyable shuttles plzkthx
The point is, no one is above criticism, and dispite how awful it makes me feel to say, even with how kind Chesh is, they aren’t either. It comes with the territory.

TheLoLSwat
Byond Username: TheLoLSwat

Post by TheLoLSwat » #684838

Adam Klein wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 1:53 pm Hot take, but if you can’t take the heat get out of the kitchen. autists are going to autisticly screech about changes they don’t like. If you can’t handle that as a coder, don’t code for an open source game where your changes will be forced on everyone.
there is a fine line between saying what you dont like about a map and being a poopoohead about it. Even something like "why the FUCK is x the way it is?" or "what the HELL did you do to y????" can at the very least invite a conversation. Just being mean with no valuable critique doesn't do anything for anyone though. The issue isnt that criticism happens, but that there is such a large amount that is not helpful in any way (which must be frustrating if your only goal is to improve the map and actually fix the issues)
Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #684840

The point is, no one is above criticism, and dispite how awful it makes me feel to say, even with how kind Chesh is, they aren’t either. It comes with the territory.
[/quote]

i dont understand how quotes work

as chesh has mentioned in their post, and many, many coders have mentioned in the past, criticism is not screaming that something sucks
The Wrench

Post by The Wrench » #684843

TheLoLSwat wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 3:18 pm
Adam Klein wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 1:53 pm Hot take, but if you can’t take the heat get out of the kitchen. autists are going to autisticly screech about changes they don’t like. If you can’t handle that as a coder, don’t code for an open source game where your changes will be forced on everyone.
there is a fine line between saying what you dont like about a map and being a poopoohead about it. Even something like "why the FUCK is x the way it is?" or "what the HELL did you do to y????" can at the very least invite a conversation. Just being mean with no valuable critique doesn't do anything for anyone though. The issue isnt that criticism happens, but that there is such a large amount that is not helpful in any way (which must be frustrating if your only goal is to improve the map and actually fix the issues)
While that would be the ideal, we can’t expect all our community members to have that level of decorum as nice as it would be. Everyone here is extremely passionate about this ancient space game and emotions tend to run high.

Players get assmad about changes, and then coders get assmad about players getting mad about changes. At the end of the day though, this is just a game, and nothing here really matters. Just as players have no right to play here, coders should expect no right to
Be able to code here and be completely isolated from the response to their code.

sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #684844

If you consider a nukie family name as anything more than half-assed shitposting some guy thought of during the beginning 30 seconds of adrenaline rush after rolling, you are taking this game way too seriously and need to touch grass.

That's my final comment on it.
Spoiler:
iwishforducks
Byond Username: Iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #684846

i remember someone talking to chesh about how chemistry was way too small and chesh replied to them that it was on purpose, that departments are meant to be “kilo-sized”. i also remember talking to chesh some months back about the pods all being in one area and how it defeats the entire design of escape pods, but they kept that in i think. im not here to comment on the design of the map- because i haven’t played it. but i want to comment on this sort of weird design mentality that mappers (and coders) seem to have on tg these days. these days, it feels like mappers intentionally try to make their station hostile to play on. tram immediately comes to mind- i mean the tagline is “tram: keeps medical busy”-, and birdshot is intentionally just fucking awful. i have more to say about these two maps but i digress.

maybe it’s a little unfair to lump northstar as one of those “hostile to play on” maps but to be honest the only reason why i have zero interest in it is because i genuinely think multi-z is a mistake and that the game would be better off without it. but anyways im rambling on here. if you’re going to intentionally design your map in a certain way you should probably expect “x sucks” - just stay true to yourself and have a design plan you’re following - it doesn’t help that there’s a headcoder whose job is solely to try to make things as toxic as possible, if they’re not already busy calling strangers “bottoms”
im gay (and also play the moth “bugger”)
iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #684848

anyhow if you don’t want to burn yourself out the most important part in game design is not to convince yourself it’s a war. and also to have someone that’s good at managing public relations. https://youtu.be/P05ONfLOqmY
iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #684849

sinfulbliss wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 3:30 pm If you consider a nukie family name as anything more than half-assed shitposting some guy thought of during the beginning 30 seconds of adrenaline rush after rolling, you are taking this game way too seriously and need to touch grass.

That's my final comment on it.
iwishforducks wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 7:08 am maybe nuclear operative names are supposed to suck
Archie700
In-Game Admin

Post by Archie700 » #684850

Remember when Rohesie left the community because MSO completely flubbed everything about the hooch issue and decided to take it out on them instead of trying to understand their reasoning for merging goof's PR? (and ended up blaming goof for it instead of apologising to Rohesie directly)
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #684851

iwishforducks wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 3:37 pm i remember someone talking to chesh about how chemistry was way too small and chesh replied to them that it was on purpose, that departments are meant to be “kilo-sized”. i also remember talking to chesh some months back about the pods all being in one area and how it defeats the entire design of escape pods, but they kept that in i think. im not here to comment on the design of the map- because i haven’t played it. but i want to comment on this sort of weird design mentality that mappers (and coders) seem to have on tg these days. these days, it feels like mappers intentionally try to make their station hostile to play on. tram immediately comes to mind- i mean the tagline is “tram: keeps medical busy”-, and birdshot is intentionally just fucking awful. i have more to say about these two maps but i digress.

maybe it’s a little unfair to lump northstar as one of those “hostile to play on” maps but to be honest the only reason why i have zero interest in it is because i genuinely think multi-z is a mistake and that the game would be better off without it. but anyways im rambling on here. if you’re going to intentionally design your map in a certain way you should probably expect “x sucks” - just stay true to yourself and have a design plan you’re following - it doesn’t help that there’s a headcoder whose job is solely to try to make things as toxic as possible, if they’re not already busy calling strangers “bottoms”
1) Whether or not the map actually sucks isn't relevant to the conversation, though I'll note that "multi-z is a mistake" is such a weird fucking take, what?
2) If you can be bothered to bitch about how a map sucks, you can be bothered to give actual criticism. "(map) sucks" isn't criticism, it's bullshit noise. "I don't like the chemistry on this map because it's too small for me" is good feedback, but it's up to the creator as to whether or not they take that into consideration.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

Fren256
Byond Username: Fren256

Post by Fren256 » #684856

Everyone should have the right to screech at your creations. You just gotta deal with it.
Last edited by Fren256 on Wed May 10, 2023 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
conrad wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 5:25 pm I want you to know that I value you as a person.
Avid lizard player
Spoiler:
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #684859

Adam Klein wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 3:27 pm While that would be the ideal, we can’t expect all our community members to have that level of decorum as nice as it would be. Everyone here is extremely passionate about this ancient space game and emotions tend to run high.

Players get assmad about changes, and then coders get assmad about players getting mad about changes. At the end of the day though, this is just a game, and nothing here really matters. Just as players have no right to play here, coders should expect no right to
Be able to code here and be completely isolated from the response to their code.
But we can because, like what was done here, we have the capability to note or even remove people if they get to the point they are being ugly to other players/developers. We can, at least for tg-facing places like discord/forums/server, absolutely enforce the decorum.

Passionate is not an excuse for being ugly to someone, I can understand getting heated but if you cant turn around and apologize for the former behavior so you can actually have a good-faith conversation, youre likely not long for this community. Most of the developers also share the player title as well, and any player has full capacity to fairly argue the changes prior to their implementation on the appropriate channels.

If "you" are actually passionate about the game, stop approaching the parts that really matter to "you" in the most undesirable and ineffective way possible.

The only assumption I think im missing here is that to say that toxicity is warranted or expected you have to believe that someone coding something that doesnt align with what "you" think is good for the game equates to legitimate malice, so therefore "you" harassing them or throwing insults at them is legitimized because they have some moral right to do so. If nothing really matters then that just gives you less ground to say people should be expected to catch a ton of harassment for very benign aspects simply because its in the nature of the gamer or whatever.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
TheLoLSwat

Post by TheLoLSwat » #684865

Adam Klein wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 3:27 pm
While that would be the ideal, we can’t expect all our community members to have that level of decorum as nice as it would be. Everyone here is extremely passionate about this ancient space game and emotions tend to run high.

Exactly which is why we have admins that can tell people when they are doing too much. We are also all adults here so if you cant express your opinions and concerns in a way other than "FUCK X REEEE KILL YOURSELF MUH KILO", you could just be quiet or maybe ask someone else to help articulate your point.
iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #684868

Vekter wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 3:43 pm 1) Whether or not the map actually sucks isn't relevant to the conversation, though I'll note that "multi-z is a mistake" is such a weird fucking take, what?
i agree on whether or not the map sucks isn't relevant to this conversation. as i said and outlined below:
iwishforducks wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 3:37 pm im not here to comment on the design of the map- because i haven’t played it. but i want to comment on this sort of weird design mentality that mappers (and coders) seem to have on tg these days.
this is a completely separate conversation but i think multi-z measurably makes the game worse. it's obtuse and niche (you have to press a dedicated key/button to Look Up, and ditto for Look Down. let's not even talk about Move Up/Move Down) and yet it's a central part of the gameplay. the biggest impact multi-z has on rounds is when some greyshit is running up and down the stairs over and over again to avoid capture, or when blobs go for Le Epic Permabrig on icebox. there's no real answer to "how should projectiles work in multi-z combat" and combat suffers because of it. if you can press move up/move down in space you become essentially unhittable.
Vekter wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 3:43 pm 2) If you can be bothered to bitch about how a map sucks, you can be bothered to give actual criticism. "(map) sucks" isn't criticism, it's bullshit noise. "I don't like the chemistry on this map because it's too small for me" is good feedback, but it's up to the creator as to whether or not they take that into consideration.
i agree on the latter part: that it's entirely up to the map creator on whether or not they take it into consideration. it's important that map creators have the freewill to make interesting design choices. however, if a designer isn't willing to take things into consideration, the only feedback to give at that point is to say whether or not their vision sucks.
iwishforducks wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 3:37 pm if you’re going to intentionally design your map in a certain way you should probably expect “x sucks” - just stay true to yourself and have a design plan you’re following
iain0
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Iain0

Post by iain0 » #684869

You can come up with a better name, right? Without too much real effort? Just do that. Hooray, problem solved, note is meaningless if not repeated, move on with your life.

Just take the L and learn from it. Overturning it sets the precedent that this is all okay, which I don't feel is a precedent that actually benefits anyone in any way and is demonstrably potentially negative.
dirk_mcblade
Byond Username: Dirk_McBlade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #684873

We have look up and move up keybindings???
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #684877

As someone who loves stupid idiot dumbass names, clowns being called "THE GREAT SHITTENER", "Willy The Wizard Who Suicides Immediately", and generally wild, wacky, stupid and referential stuff for all the antags and special roles with special naming privileges.... "FUCK TRAM FUCK NORTHSTAR FUCK BIRDSHIT" is an obnoxious trash name and you should have been forcibly renamed team "Idiot Parade" lol
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #684882

Adam Klein wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 3:27 pm

good post, but I think there is a difference between a player putting in 100 hours playing and a coder spending 100 hours on a map

no ones saying coders should be isolated, were saying holy shit dont come at them so hard that it makes them want to stop even playing
Last edited by Kendrickorium on Wed May 10, 2023 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #684883

Adam Klein wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 3:13 pm The point is, no one is above criticism, and dispite how awful it makes me feel to say, even with how kind Chesh is, they aren’t either. It comes with the territory.
Dropping trow and shitting all over something is not criticism. It's offensive.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
Fren256

Post by Fren256 » #684886

dirk_mcblade wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 4:22 pm We have look up and move up keybindings???
Because no one here is polite enough to answer you:
  • "L" is to look up the Z level above you, ";" is to look down the Z level below you (though I've never been able to get this one to work)
  • "Page Up" lets you move upwards Z levels
Last edited by Fren256 on Wed May 10, 2023 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
conrad wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 5:25 pm I want you to know that I value you as a person.
Avid lizard player
Spoiler:
WineAllWine
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Wineallwine

Post by WineAllWine » #684890

This is the best peanut title we've had recently (most of them have been crap)
The Wrench

Post by The Wrench » #684891

My final point, it is completely irrelevant how many hours of work someone puts on something. You will get criticized for it, and some may take it too far. If you want to make changes that everyone else who wants to play the game is *Forced* to use then prepare for the consequences be them good or bad. You could spend a million hours playing or coding, and both of them are worth jack shit when it comes to your immunity to criticism.

To the coders- Grow the fuck up and realize that sometimes people don’t like what you make, and that’s okay! You love this game and are putting your energy into making it better. Some people will be malicious for the sake of it. Don’t let it get to you but remember that these players are as passionate as you are!

To the players- Grow the fuck up and stop bullying coders over stupid bullshit. These people are volunteers working to create new things for the game you love. They are those of you who put in the time to make this game. Remember that. They are not a secret kabal of fun removers, they are just players who learned Git. Chill out.

Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #684892

WineAllWine wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 4:54 pm This is the best peanut title we've had recently (most of them have been crap)
lamos keep making them before i do
Archie700
In-Game Admin

Post by Archie700 » #684897

I believe the major issue is that Sinful is sincere in that it was meant to be a joke.
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #684900

Archie700 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 5:10 pm I believe the major issue is that Sinful is sincere in that it was meant to be a joke.
And I believe the major issue is that I think they didn't.
Spoiler:

Archie700
In-Game Admin

Post by Archie700 » #684901

Vekter wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 5:14 pm
Archie700 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 5:10 pm I believe the major issue is that Sinful is sincere in that it was meant to be a joke.
And I believe the major issue is that I think they didn't.
And I believe the major issue is that Sinful is wrong regardless.
Boot
Byond Username: B00t

Post by Boot » #684916

I'm not a big fan that this note started off with Vekter misunderstanding the current naming policy then post hoc rationalizing it. The fact is that Vekter noted him "mainly" because of something that wasn't even a rule. This should be lifted on these grounds alone.
Image Image
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #684919

Boot wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 6:10 pm I'm not a big fan that this note started off with Vekter misunderstanding the current naming policy then post hoc rationalizing it. The fact is that Vekter noted him "mainly" because of something that wasn't even a rule. This should be lifted on these grounds alone.
The only actual rule surrounding this says "try to reasonable" and is still under the purview of
Admins [...] can approve or disallow names at their discretion while in-game.
though

I dont think the mental gymnastics one has to take to consider a last name of "FUCK [maps i dislike]" perfectly reasonable to the point no admin should challenge it seems sane either.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Fikou
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Fikou
Github Username: Fikou

Post by Fikou » #684921

@boot ur stupid and you suck
Fikou
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Fikou
Github Username: Fikou

Post by Fikou » #684922

@adam klein you are more stupid and punchable as well
Cheshify
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Cheshify

Post by Cheshify » #684929

This is the worst kind of take. You can't simply chalk up bad and stupid behaviour to "how it's always been" or else nothing will ever change. You need to make a stand and tell people to shut the fuck up or contribute constructively. If you can't handle that, don't play an open source game where you refuse to make the changes you want to see.
Shout out to Riggle
Shout out to Dessysalta
Cheshify
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Cheshify

Post by Cheshify » #684931

Adam Klein wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 3:13 pm The point is, no one is above criticism, and dispite how awful it makes me feel to say, even with how kind Chesh is, they aren’t either. It comes with the territory.
Here's the thing. I ADORE criticism. Criticism means someone is approaching the piece of work and finding a fault with design and I can tackle that in order to improve things. I fucking love improving the map, there's a reason I've put the time I have into it.

What Zytolg, MMM, and I get isn't criticism (the analysis and judgment of the merits and faults of a literary or artistic work.) it's blind hatred without a listed cause. I can work with "Man the North Star sucks I hate how maintenance is too deadly" (has been addressed, a large number of grilles were removed and plans are in the work to make more interesting traps. I can't work with "FUCK NORTHSTAR".
Shout out to Riggle
Shout out to Dessysalta
Boot

Post by Boot » #684932

Cheshify wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 6:47 pm
This is the worst kind of take. You can't simply chalk up bad and stupid behaviour to "how it's always been" or else nothing will ever change. You need to make a stand and tell people to shut the fuck up or contribute constructively. If you can't handle that, don't play an open source game where you refuse to make the changes you want to see.
Sounds pretty easy then. Just ignore the rabble who have no power over you and keep on doing what you want to do. If you can't handle people not liking what you make in a way you view as "unconstructive" then I would suggest going to a space where only you get to decide who speaks. Personally I would think that would suck because I like what you do so I do ask you to grow up, not out of a sense of being mean or spiteful but because you are going to deal with people who are alot crazier then some random shitters saying "northstar sucks".
Image Image
TheLoLSwat

Post by TheLoLSwat » #684935

Boot wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 6:54 pm
Cheshify wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 6:47 pm
Sounds pretty easy then. Just ignore the rabble who have no power over you and keep on doing what you want to do. If you can't handle people not liking what you make in a way you view as "unconstructive" then I would suggest going to a space where only you get to decide who speaks. Personally I would think that would suck because I like what you do so I do ask you to grow up, not out of a sense of being mean or spiteful but because you are going to deal with people who are alot crazier then some random shitters saying "northstar sucks".
why should volunteer coders / mappers have to take weirdos attacking them instead of an admin telling them to knock it off for not giving anything constructive
AwkwardStereo
Byond Username: AwkwardStereo

Post by AwkwardStereo » #684937

Fren256 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 4:49 pm
  • "L" is to look up the Z level above you, ";" is to look down the Z level below you (though I've never been able to get this one to work)
You have to be standing on a lattice or glass floor tile for look down to work.
Boot

Post by Boot » #684938

TheLoLSwat wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 7:09 pm
Boot wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 6:54 pm Sounds pretty easy then. Just ignore the rabble who have no power over you and keep on doing what you want to do. If you can't handle people not liking what you make in a way you view as "unconstructive" then I would suggest going to a space where only you get to decide who speaks. Personally I would think that would suck because I like what you do so I do ask you to grow up, not out of a sense of being mean or spiteful but because you are going to deal with people who are alot crazier then some random shitters saying "northstar sucks".
why should volunteer coders / mappers have to take weirdos attacking them instead of an admin telling them to knock it off for not giving anything constructive
I don't want to create a space where saying "I don't like northstar" gets you nuked for not being constructive. We don't do this for anyone else and we've been doing fine.
Image Image
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #684939

There's two options here which are either:
- Sinfull is telling the truth and even actually likes Northstar, only possibly conclusion is that he's a dumbass who doesn't understand the concept of his actions having an effect in the world.
- Sinfull is lying, only possible conclusion is that he thinks everyone else is a dumbass because his argument that his name wasn't meant to be an OOC comment is completely unbelievable.
Boot wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 7:15 pm
TheLoLSwat wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 7:09 pm
Boot wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 6:54 pm Sounds pretty easy then. Just ignore the rabble who have no power over you and keep on doing what you want to do. If you can't handle people not liking what you make in a way you view as "unconstructive" then I would suggest going to a space where only you get to decide who speaks. Personally I would think that would suck because I like what you do so I do ask you to grow up, not out of a sense of being mean or spiteful but because you are going to deal with people who are alot crazier then some random shitters saying "northstar sucks".
I don't want to create a space where saying "I don't like northstar" gets you nuked for not being constructive. We don't do this for anyone else and we've been doing fine.
If someone named their nukie team "FUCK BOOT AND FUCK SINFULL" they'd probably get noted for it too im pretty sure, there's no double standard here
Last edited by Jacquerel on Wed May 10, 2023 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fren256

Post by Fren256 » #684940

Boot wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 6:54 pm Sounds pretty easy then. Just ignore the rabble who have no power over you and keep on doing what you want to do.
Avid lizard player
Spoiler:
ekaterina
Byond Username: Ekaterina von Russland

Post by ekaterina » #684941

Coders don't need to be coddled and shouldn't be coddled. If they're adding things that the players don't like, they should hear it. The game is for the players, after all.
Of course it sucks to see people shitting on something you put a lot of work into, but that's part of life. Not everybody likes you, not everybody likes your work, and players have a right to voice their opinions without walking on eggshells.
I have a confirmed grand total of 1 merged PR. That basically means I'm a c*der now. 8-)
toemas wrote: ekaterina is really funny because they just consistently say what should be complete common sense (...) and then they get dogpiled by everyone in the thread
kinnebian wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:51 am i agree with ekaterina but in a less aggressive manner
sinfulbliss wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:03 am Marina is actually a very high quality roleplayer, believe it or not, and a pretty fun and good-faith player in my experience.
warbluke wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:03 am Suboptimal research play detected, deploying lethal force.
Timberpoes wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:50 am No deviations allowed. All must know the meta. All must power the game.