Lasers to be buffed in effort to attract new security hires, the nut

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
TheLoLSwat
Byond Username: TheLoLSwat

Lasers to be buffed in effort to attract new security hires, the nut

Post by TheLoLSwat » #684952

EmpressMaia
Byond Username: EmpressMaia

Re: Lasers to be buffed in effort to attract new security hires, the nut

Post by EmpressMaia » #684953

im divided on this channge. on one hand; nice! sec has a more efficient means of neutralizing antags that are using everyhing in their power, as the baton and disabler can only get you so far. but also i forsee alot more laser crate orders from assistants
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #684961

the lasering will continue until ballistics r antiquated.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
RedBaronFlyer
Byond Username: RedBaronFlyer

Post by RedBaronFlyer » #684975

EmpressMaia wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 8:00 pm im divided on this channge. on one hand; nice! sec has a more efficient means of neutralizing antags that are using everyhing in their power, as the baton and disabler can only get you so far. but also i forsee alot more laser crate orders from assistants
As a cargo tech main, my go to for any crisis is shipping in 20 laser crates.

Ak47s Laserguns for EVERYONE!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZQdaEF ... Zlcnlib2R5
WARNING, Prolonged exposure to my opinions can be mentally scarring or in some cases, FATAL
Stamper of papers, pusher of crates, and the cleaner of floors.
I'm Eugine Adrian Hynes on Manuel, I'm very uncool.
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:11 pm I assume he did it elsewhere because it's fucking goofball and he never half-asses his shitty ideas, he full asses them so both cheeks are absolutely slathered in shit
Indie-ana Jones
Byond Username: Indie-ana Jones

Post by Indie-ana Jones » #684982

Is this change intentionally made in conjunction with the stun damage PR? It seems like this change was done to specifically push lasers over the 25 damage threshold, meaning every laser shot removes all stun damage, assuming you don't have any armor.
WineAllWine
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Wineallwine

Post by WineAllWine » #684996

4/10 peanut title
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #685005

Damnit, now I have to buff thermals, woe is me. (They're due for a bit of a touch up anyway)
toemas
Byond Username: Realthoman_

Post by toemas » #685018

really exciting and ground-breaking game development guys.
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #685020

Sure, why not? I'm okay with stuff that's experimental as long as we're clear about it being an experiment.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
massa
Byond Username: Massa100

Post by massa » #685023

I would enjoy being able to employ both ranged and ballistic options.

Both are very cool and enjoyable.
:donut2: :honkman: :heart: :honkman: :heart: :honkman: :donut2:
toemas

Post by toemas » #685026

We have plenty of unique content that is woefully under-powered and ineffective like modsuits and thermal pistols, and security still just uses laser-guns and stun batons. Why make them stronger?
RedBaronFlyer
Byond Username: RedBaronFlyer

Post by RedBaronFlyer » #685054

toemas wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 11:25 pm We have plenty of unique content that is woefully under-powered and ineffective like modsuits and thermal pistols, and security still just uses laser-guns and stun batons. Why make them stronger?
Do people normally run around with modsuits and thermal pistols as opposed to laser guns, or is this just something I'm too MRP to understand?
WARNING, Prolonged exposure to my opinions can be mentally scarring or in some cases, FATAL
Stamper of papers, pusher of crates, and the cleaner of floors.
I'm Eugine Adrian Hynes on Manuel, I'm very uncool.
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:11 pm I assume he did it elsewhere because it's fucking goofball and he never half-asses his shitty ideas, he full asses them so both cheeks are absolutely slathered in shit
vect0r
Byond Username: Vect0r

Post by vect0r » #685055

RedBaronFlyer wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 2:57 am
toemas wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 11:25 pm We have plenty of unique content that is woefully under-powered and ineffective like modsuits and thermal pistols, and security still just uses laser-guns and stun batons. Why make them stronger?
Do people normally run around with modsuits and thermal pistols as opposed to laser guns, or is this just something I'm too MRP to understand?
N... no? They are saying that modsuit and thermal pistols are more unqiue, but sec runs around with lasers and stun batons.
VENDETTA+Cecilia Vujic
conrad
Byond Username: Conrad Thunderbunch

Post by conrad » #685075

Pew pew gun go BRRRRRR
I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here. :hug::beer: 𝒯𝒶𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶 𝓈𝒶𝒷𝒶𝓉𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓁. :faggot::heart:
And now a word from our sponsors:
dendydoom wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:51 am conrad is a badass
Armhulen wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:08 pm
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:13 pm
Kendrickorium wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:53 am
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:24 am
conrad wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
Speak for yourself two-eyes.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
absolutely based, do you wear an eyepatch?
That would render a cyclops blind.
RedBaronFlyer wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:52 pm
Drag wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
It would somehow manage to pick Birdshot Station for headmin if we did that
Lacran wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
Vekter wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
dendydoom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #685201

decent thread title, 6/10
Bawhoppennn
Github User
Byond Username: Bawhoppennn
Github Username: Bawhoppen

Post by Bawhoppennn » #685204

I'm gonna have to give it a 5/10- you started doing a classic newspaper headline format, but then fucked it for some reason by doing "[COMMA] the nut"
So close to an 8/10 or higher
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

<KorMobile> you're a hero

[21:20:53] <%oranges> Baw "has cute legs" hoppen
DEAD: ADMIN(Owegno) says, "Nothing lewd happens in adminbus sadly."

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

(F) DEAD: Professor DonkPocket says, "Admins preventchaos with good messages"

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> russians have no souls so magic enrages them
<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #685210

bro will find really any reason to complain about a change
conrad

Post by conrad » #685223

That's it. I'm sick of all this "Laser Gun" bullshit that's going on in the tg station server right now. Thermal pistols deserve much better than that. Much, much better than that.

I should know what I'm talking about. I myself commissioned a genuine thermal pistol in Cargonia for 2.000 credits (that's about $20,000) and have been practicing with it for almost 2 years now. I can even cut slabs of solid assistant with my thermal pistol.
Cargonian techies spend years working on a thermal pistols box and emitter it up to a million times to produce the finest guns known to mankind.

Thermal pistols are thrice as hot as laser guns and thrice as cold for that matter too. Anything a laser gun can cut through, thermal pistols can cut through better. I'm pretty sure thermal pistols could easily bisect a secoff wearing full riot gear with a simple pair of shots.
Ever wonder why Security never bothered conquering Cargonia? That's right, they were too scared to fight the disciplined Quartermasters and their thermal pistols of destruction. Even in World War VI, Nanotrasen soldiers targeted the men with the thermal pistols first because their killing power was feared and respected.

So what am I saying? Thermal pistols are simply the best guns that the world has ever seen, and thus, require better stats in the tg station server. Here is the stat block I propose for thermal pistols:

/obj/projectile/energy/inferno
name = "molten nanite bullet"
icon_state = "infernoshot"
damage = 60
damage_type = BURN
armor_flag = ENERGY
armour_penetration = 20
reflectable = NONE
wound_bonus = 10
bare_wound_bonus = 10
impact_effect_type = /obj/effect/temp_visual/impact_effect/red_laser

/obj/projectile/energy/cryo
name = "frozen nanite bullet"
icon_state = "cryoshot"
damage = 60
damage_type = BRUTE
armour_penetration = 20
armor_flag = ENERGY
sharpness = SHARP_POINTY //it's a big ol' shard of ice
reflectable = NONE
wound_bonus = 10
bare_wound_bonus = 10

Now that seems a lot more representative of the killing power of Thermal pistols in real life, don't you think?
tl;dr = Thermal pistols need to do more damage in tg station, see my new stat block.
I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here. :hug::beer: 𝒯𝒶𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶 𝓈𝒶𝒷𝒶𝓉𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓁. :faggot::heart:
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
conrad wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
Drag wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
Lacran wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
Vekter wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
dendydoom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
toemas

Post by toemas » #685236

oranges wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 1:28 am bro will find really any reason to complain about a change
what do you mean "find any reason" its a PR that buffs laserguns and i stated that i think laserguns are overused and asked why they needed to be buffed
MooCow12
Byond Username: MooCow12

Post by MooCow12 » #685238

I`m okay with the pr, countering burn damage is actually a lot easier than countering brute (fiery sweat, slime person, reflectors, etc)

the main issue is the higher wound bonus and damage means people who get hit by stray shots have more reason to turn on their superiors.
(but thats the fun part)
List of my favorite TG Staff.
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:who's this moocow guy and why is their head firmly planted up athath's ass
cSeal wrote: TLDR suck my nuts you bald bitch
Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #685297

conrad wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 2:28 am
That's it. I'm sick of all this "Laser Gun" bullshit that's going on in the tg station server right now. Thermal pistols deserve much better than that. Much, much better than that.

I should know what I'm talking about. I myself commissioned a genuine thermal pistol in Cargonia for 2.000 credits (that's about $20,000) and have been practicing with it for almost 2 years now. I can even cut slabs of solid assistant with my thermal pistol.
Cargonian techies spend years working on a thermal pistols box and emitter it up to a million times to produce the finest guns known to mankind.

Thermal pistols are thrice as hot as laser guns and thrice as cold for that matter too. Anything a laser gun can cut through, thermal pistols can cut through better. I'm pretty sure thermal pistols could easily bisect a secoff wearing full riot gear with a simple pair of shots.
Ever wonder why Security never bothered conquering Cargonia? That's right, they were too scared to fight the disciplined Quartermasters and their thermal pistols of destruction. Even in World War VI, Nanotrasen soldiers targeted the men with the thermal pistols first because their killing power was feared and respected.

So what am I saying? Thermal pistols are simply the best guns that the world has ever seen, and thus, require better stats in the tg station server. Here is the stat block I propose for thermal pistols:

/obj/projectile/energy/inferno
name = "molten nanite bullet"
icon_state = "infernoshot"
damage = 60
damage_type = BURN
armor_flag = ENERGY
armour_penetration = 20
reflectable = NONE
wound_bonus = 10
bare_wound_bonus = 10
impact_effect_type = /obj/effect/temp_visual/impact_effect/red_laser

/obj/projectile/energy/cryo
name = "frozen nanite bullet"
icon_state = "cryoshot"
damage = 60
damage_type = BRUTE
armour_penetration = 20
armor_flag = ENERGY
sharpness = SHARP_POINTY //it's a big ol' shard of ice
reflectable = NONE
wound_bonus = 10
bare_wound_bonus = 10

Now that seems a lot more representative of the killing power of Thermal pistols in real life, don't you think?
tl;dr = Thermal pistols need to do more damage in tg station, see my new stat block.
this

THIS

also, new wounds!

hot - huge gaping/dripping hole
cold- frozen/shattered innards

god these pistols need more love
would be nice if a set started in the armory as well so that i'm reminded this pair of awesome babies exist
CMDR_Gungnir
Byond Username: CMDR Gungnir

Post by CMDR_Gungnir » #685300

I want guns to be dangerous.
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #685304

Kendrickorium wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 1:45 pm hot - huge gaping/dripping hole
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #685322

Jacquerel wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 2:46 pm
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
conrad

Post by conrad » #685325

Itseasytosee2me wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 4:26 pm
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
Epicgamer545
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Epicgamer545

Post by Epicgamer545 » #685329

conrad wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 4:57 pm
Epicgamer545
J. Howard, microcelebrity & ExOS
game admin - I am still a admin, please subject me to 4 hours of tickets
► Show Spoiler
Fikou
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Fikou
Github Username: Fikou

Post by Fikou » #685339

Epicgamer545 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 5:32 pm
Bawhoppennn
Github User

Post by Bawhoppennn » #685397

toemas wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 4:06 am i think laserguns are overused
I am not sure if I've ever seen a laser gun used for anything that isn't blob/xeno in 11 years
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
EmpressMaia
Byond Username: EmpressMaia

Post by EmpressMaia » #685407

Lasers are secs only useful lethal option. Maybe we should bring some ballistic weapons back
Lacran
Byond Username: Lacran

Post by Lacran » #685408

I'd really also like sec to have some kind of melee option that isn't stun based just just round start survival knifes in our jackboots.

Could we please also get jaws of life printable from the sec lathe
vect0r
Byond Username: Vect0r

Post by vect0r » #685416

Lacran wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 5:27 am I'd really also like sec to have some kind of melee option that isn't stun based just just round start survival knifes in our jackboots.

What about an energy saw? I got half of the spiriting done (everything but the mob spriting), and almost all of the code done tonight. It's a belt fitting weapon that does 20 damage (too much? I don't think so.) and has a on/off state with a cell like a baton.
energy_saw.png
energy_saw.png (1.22 KiB) Viewed 6623 times
VENDETTA+Cecilia Vujic
SkeletalElite
Byond Username: SkeletalElite
Github Username: SkeletalElite

Post by SkeletalElite » #685418

vect0r wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 8:12 am
Lacran wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 5:27 am I'd really also like sec to have some kind of melee option that isn't stun based just just round start survival knifes in our jackboots.

What about an energy saw? I got half of the spiriting done (everything but the mob spriting), and almost all of the code done tonight. It's a belt fitting weapon that does 20 damage (too much? I don't think so.) and has a on/off state with a cell like a baton.

energy_saw.png
20 is probably fine, same as circular saw but it needs to be charged. Should probably get a bit of a wound bonus too
Mice World
Byond Username: Mice World

Post by Mice World » #685427

Saws only do 15. 20 is fairly high as far as available weapons go. For reference cleavers also deal 15, an edagger does 18 and chainsaws do 24.
It keeps getting worse!?
Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #685441

Fikou wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 6:35 pm
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #685448

i misread the title for some reason and saw it as "lawyers to be buffed in effort to attract new security hires"
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #685454

Lawyers now do 5 additional burn damage and have a reduced energy cost, alongside a wound bonus.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #685477

should have both! Thermal pistols were a step in making more unique variants of laser weaponry and theres a lot more customization available with the premise of sci-fi laser technology than with ballistic guns we have more tangibility to
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Cheshify
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Cheshify

Post by Cheshify » #685515

Guns should get a buff to compensate. Not to damage or anything, we just remove all historical or factual gun content and replace it all with science-fiction equivalents that hold absolutely no ties to modern weapons.

All this will do is piss off gun nerds, and is therefore an entirely 100% positive change.

No more M1911 firing .45, now you have the Donk Co Handheld Projectile Accelerator firing Donk Brand 10u Rounds (units, the established in-world system of measurement).
Shout out to Riggle
Shout out to Dessysalta
PengisBungholius
Byond Username: PengisBungholius

Post by PengisBungholius » #685528

Indie-ana Jones wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 9:18 pm Is this change intentionally made in conjunction with the stun damage PR? It seems like this change was done to specifically push lasers over the 25 damage threshold, meaning every laser shot removes all stun damage, assuming you don't have any armor.
he made the PR in "very red voice chat"

he also said 'balance isn't real, we just make shit up and slap numbers on things and see if they work' in that vc
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #685533

snitch
Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #685572

PengisBungholius wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 5:23 am
Indie-ana Jones wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 9:18 pm Is this change intentionally made in conjunction with the stun damage PR? It seems like this change was done to specifically push lasers over the 25 damage threshold, meaning every laser shot removes all stun damage, assuming you don't have any armor.
he also said 'balance isn't real, we just make shit up and slap numbers on things and see if they work' in that vc
oranges works for blizzard????
Bawhoppennn
Github User

Post by Bawhoppennn » #685645

Kendrickorium wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 2:28 pm
PengisBungholius wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 5:23 am
oranges works for blizzard????
We can test this hypothesis by posting about Hong Kong in the coderbus
If we get banned, it is confirmed