PAINT CONTEST ON SYBIL JUNE 2ND

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
Shellton(Mario)
Byond Username: Sheltton

PAINT CONTEST ON SYBIL JUNE 2ND

Post by Shellton(Mario) » #686026

Bottom post of the previous page:

PAINT CONTEST
PAINT CONTEST.PNG
WHERE? SYBIL SECTOR IN THE LIBARY
WHEN? JUNE 2ND THE FIRST ROUND START AFTER 8PM EST!
WHO?
YOU! YES YOU! COME ALL I DONT CARE IF YOU ARE SOME SHITTER OR SOME H RPER! JUST DONT BRING A MAXCAP! ALSO WE WILL NEED JUDGES! I YOU ARE INTERESTING IN BECOMING ONE PM ME ON DISCORD WITH YOUR CKEY OR CHARACTER NAME! Shellton#3065 or if that doesn't work search Shellton in the TG general chat discord history and right click my name to dm me. Am only aiming to have 2-3 judges so you may or may not get accepted as one but you are still welcomed to paint.
WHAT ARE WE DOING?
YOU DRAW PAINTINGS AND THEY WILL BE JUDGED BY MYSELF AND OTHERS! YOU WILL HAVE TILL HAVE 30-45MINS DEPENDING ON THE FLOW OF THE ROUND. IF THE SHUTTLE NEEDS TO BE CALLED SUB 30MINS WE WILL RUN IT BACK THE FOLLOWING ROUND OR IF THE EVENT IS RUINED BY ANTAG
THE RULES
NO USING THE PROGRAM THAT ALLOWS YOU TO PAINT ANY IMAGE IN GAME FLAWLESSLY
IF YOU HAVE ANY FURTHER QUESTIONS FEEL FREE TO DM ME USING THE METHODS STATED ABOVE
Last edited by Shellton(Mario) on Fri May 19, 2023 2:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
AwkwardStereo
Byond Username: AwkwardStereo

Re: PAINT CONTEST ON SYBIL JUNE 2ND

Post by AwkwardStereo » #688428

not one picture included

sadly i had to take off, i was hopeful i could sneak something in before i had to leave but i spent too long waffling
Shellton(Mario)

Post by Shellton(Mario) » #688433

dirk_mcblade wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:03 am Just host it on manuel if you don't want it bombed instead of giving the paint contest meta protections.
Wanst bombed, the server perished
dirk_mcblade
Byond Username: Dirk_McBlade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #688434

Shellton(Mario) wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:57 am
dirk_mcblade wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:03 am Just host it on manuel if you don't want it bombed instead of giving the paint contest meta protections.
Wanst bombed, the server perished
Ah that's fair
Shellton(Mario)

Post by Shellton(Mario) » #688436

AwkwardStereo wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:39 am not one picture included

sadly i had to take off, i was hopeful i could sneak something in before i had to leave but i spent too long waffling
paint contest even 2.PNG
PAINT CONTEST EVENT.PNG
AwkwardStereo
Byond Username: AwkwardStereo

Post by AwkwardStereo » #688456

Shellton(Mario) wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:34 am
AwkwardStereo wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:39 am not one picture included

► Show Spoiler
Thanks. Really cool to keep putting this on, and I do hope they happen a little more frequently.

Also I see some fun paintings in there. Some chemist shit, loss, soyjack. Pristine.
Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #688459

i thought it was the 8th not the 2nd :(
TypicalRig
Byond Username: TypicalRig

Post by TypicalRig » #688501

rule one isn't a metaprotection
Boot
Byond Username: B00t

Post by Boot » #688533

TypicalRig wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:13 am
rule 4 trumps rule 1
Image Image
TypicalRig

Post by TypicalRig » #688535

Boot wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:22 pm
rule 4 trumps rule 1
t-they aren't AI laws homie they don't have priority over each other like that.. it's at admin discretion.

anyway to keep this from going off topic just a suggestion for the next time. Can we have people plan designated "I will definitely record this round" people be it someone observing as a ghost, or a participant like a judge? I sadly had to miss it due to irl things but for the next time would be nice if there was a place we could watch how it went as opposed to just photos
Shellton(Mario)

Post by Shellton(Mario) » #688537

TypicalRig wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:34 pm
anyway to keep this from going off topic just a suggestion for the next time. Can we have people plan designated "I will definitely record this round" people be it someone observing as a ghost, or a participant like a judge? I sadly had to miss it due to irl things but for the next time would be nice if there was a place we could watch how it went as opposed to just photos
I will look into recording the next one all be it from a host pov. I don't really have the reach to find someone to record it from a ghost pov.

That being said am going try and do a little bit more planning for the next one and look into some improvements that can be made.
Boot

Post by Boot » #688538

rule 4 trumps rule 1
t-they aren't AI laws homie they don't have priority over each other like that.. it's at admin discretion.
This is why people hate catgirl players. Stay on manuel please.
Image Image
Bawhoppennn
Github User
Byond Username: Bawhoppennn
Github Username: Bawhoppen

Post by Bawhoppennn » #688541

I'm excited for it
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

<KorMobile> you're a hero

[21:20:53] <%oranges> Baw "has cute legs" hoppen
DEAD: ADMIN(Owegno) says, "Nothing lewd happens in adminbus sadly."

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

(F) DEAD: Professor DonkPocket says, "Admins preventchaos with good messages"

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> russians have no souls so magic enrages them
<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
dirk_mcblade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #688597

rule 4 trumps rule 1
Any admin who bans an antag on sybil for rule 1 will have their ban overturned on appeal. Stick to manuel.
Paint contests on LRP are a privilege, not a right.
dirk_mcblade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #688598

Seriously, what part do you not understand of "Lone antagonists can do whatever they want."? You've got me malding and double posting because of that statement. I previously believed in coexistence with the paint club but now I'm thinking we ought to issue a fatwa to all lone antags against paint contests on LRP just to prove this point. Damn. Threatening players to waste their antag roll and not plasma flood or whatever they want to do because it coincides with a player run event is the REAL violation of rule 1 in my opinion, and that's coming from the perspective of someone who lately just uses antag rolls to loosen escalation rules rather than end rounds. The entitlement, my dudes.
kinnebian
Byond Username: Kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #688602

dirk_mcblade wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:12 am Seriously, what part do you not understand of "Lone antagonists can do whatever they want."? You've got me malding and double posting because of that statement. I previously believed in coexistence with the paint club but now I'm thinking we ought to issue a fatwa to all lone antags against paint contests on LRP just to prove this point. Damn. Threatening players to waste their antag roll and not plasma flood or whatever they want to do because it coincides with a player run event is the REAL violation of rule 1 in my opinion, and that's coming from the perspective of someone who lately just uses antag rolls to loosen escalation rules rather than end rounds. The entitlement, my dudes.
this is a dirkpilled post
respect (let him do his thing)
TypicalRig

Post by TypicalRig » #688612

dirk_mcblade wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:12 am Seriously, what part do you not understand of "Lone antagonists can do whatever they want."? You've got me malding and double posting because of that statement. I previously believed in coexistence with the paint club but now I'm thinking we ought to issue a fatwa to all lone antags against paint contests on LRP just to prove this point. Damn. Threatening players to waste their antag roll and not plasma flood or whatever they want to do because it coincides with a player run event is the REAL violation of rule 1 in my opinion, and that's coming from the perspective of someone who lately just uses antag rolls to loosen escalation rules rather than end rounds. The entitlement, my dudes.
it really says a lot about a playerbase when the bare minimum request of "don't actively target a cool rare player run event that we don't get a lot of with something boring like explosives and one click AoE tier grief" is met with arguments of super specific scenarios where a person MUST grief art club because they rolled the antag chance that is coded to have a chance of rolling every shift like that's significantly rarer than an event which takes time and effort to setup, which is actively created for the sake of other players to enjoy.

Also is the irony not completely lost on you making claims about entitlement after writing this rant about how you will absolutely lose your mind not being able to rampage on this specific area for a single round. Admins can and will prioritize the enjoyment of the server over a few individuals that think click until horizontal is their godforsaken right. Inhale, exhale, and smell the paint on the canvas.
dirk_mcblade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #688615

TypicalRig wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:38 pm
it really says a lot about a playerbase when the bare minimum request of "don't actively target a cool rare player run event that we don't get a lot of with something boring like explosives and one click AoE tier grief" is met with arguments of super specific scenarios where a person MUST grief art club because they rolled the antag chance that is coded to have a chance of rolling every shift like that's significantly rarer than an event which takes time and effort to setup, which is actively created for the sake of other players to enjoy.

Also is the irony not completely lost on you making claims about entitlement after writing this rant about how you will absolutely lose your mind not being able to rampage on this specific area for a single round. Admins can and will prioritize the enjoyment of the server over a few individuals that think click until horizontal is their godforsaken right. Inhale, exhale, and smell the paint on the canvas.
Some of us have things to do in real life and if that means we only play a few rounds every week or every month even, then if we're rolling antag on a server that specifically says antag does whatever they want*, then we're doing whatever what we want*, particularly when Manuel is the containment server for people who don't want the possibility of mass destruction. It's not like you don't have a perfectly acceptable alternative server.
In my case most recently I just spent my antag rounds experimenting on making brown gas and I figure one less actively hostile antag means longer round time but it sounds like people are forgetting what LRP rules mean and that means perhaps it is a moral imperative to destroy the station every time I roll antag ln sybil, even on the off chance it coincides with a player scheduled event if they think antags are leaving it alone due to the rules and not due to common courtesy.
Just as the US Navy sails everywhere it is allowed to by international law despite the complaints of other nearby rivals, perhaps I as an antag should wreck the station wherever allowed to by server rules despite the complaints of felinid mains. Until morale improves.

*Subject to the policy rulings which don't appear to apply here.
dirk_mcblade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #688617

Either that or wubli gives every rolled antag an antag token every time wubli decides to hall monitor the paint contest for interfering with their antag rounds on an LRP server as an admin. That's the only way I see this being remotely equitable if admins are allowed to just arbitrarily suspend rule 4. There's a difference between the history of other players being voluntarily polite during these events versus an admin just threatening them into compliance. One is based and the other is cringe.
WineAllWine
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Wineallwine

Post by WineAllWine » #688618

Or we could just do what we did last time and force extended and set threat to 0....
dirk_mcblade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #688619

Kind of disrespectful to all the seamen who died in Iwo Jima to be honest. And just one week after memorial day weekend too.
TypicalRig

Post by TypicalRig » #688626

Manuel this, Manuel that. Sybil players are clearly interested in the event, want to participate in the event, and want to see the event continue without lame forms of interference. Yet you say you'd rather it go to Manuel than have antag activity somewhat restricted for a shift. Is it not you who is misunderstanding their own playerbase at this stage?

"Some of us have things to do in real life and if that means we only play a few rounds every week or every month even" Does this same logic not apply to the person hosting the event and the people participating in it? I'm hearing a lot of me me me.

I think it's dumb that players upset about this would sooner have no antags in a shift during a player event than antags still rolling normally and just being told "keep it courteous" but I guess people like that shooting themselves in the foot isn't the worst case scenario.

But again, this has already gone off-topic. If you're that unsatisfied with it, I encourage you to make a policy discussion on an admin's role and what they can/can't do in a shift, but I don't particularly see it going anywhere. Admins can and are encouraged to be DMs when necessary. This falls under that.
dirk_mcblade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #688632

Nah I think they threaded the needle by turning off antags for the round.
wubli
Byond Username: Wubli

Post by wubli » #688642

dirk_mcblade wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:55 pm Either that or wubli gives every rolled antag an antag token every time wubli decides to hall monitor the paint contest for interfering with their antag rounds on an LRP server as an admin. That's the only way I see this being remotely equitable if admins are allowed to just arbitrarily suspend rule 4. There's a difference between the history of other players being voluntarily polite during these events versus an admin just threatening them into compliance. One is based and the other is cringe.
?
I didn't set the round to extended. I specifically told Wine not to because it was against Mario's wishes. What the fuck is this post? You can check admin logs through parsed logs to see that I didn't touch antags at all.
I didn't take any action. You can verify this. This is a needlessly hostile post over a few posts I made about believing people griefing the event just because sucked - but it did not happen nor did I do anything. Please take a second to verify what happened before you dedicate a post to call me a hall monitor and that I arbitrarily apply rules when I literally complied with what the event runner decided. I'm not your fucking enemy, Jesus Christ
argentina campeón :peel: :peel: :peel:
what's cooking good looking i'm jill desouza and i am here to try
wubli

Post by wubli » #688643

I still believe it should have some meta protection but I'm not the event runner so I didn't do anything about it! in fact I spent most of it outside of my house at a shawarma place waiting for my food.
I don't think it's evil and fucked up to say "we should have some meta protection during One Round One Day" and if you want to bring up rules I can also bring up rule 0 about admin discretion. you can bend the rules if it's for the best during a round, and no one uses it to be a shithead. but the point is that was my opinion that resulted in nothing because ultimately, not my event, not my decisions
I can't post asay logs currently but any admin can confirm that I specifically said not to remove antags
it's exhausting how much people want to be mad at you. leave me alone!!! I didn't do shit I just had an opinion I didn't act on!!!
Shellton(Mario)

Post by Shellton(Mario) » #688718

I could write an essay on this but that would be over kill and a waste of time. So I will just say this

It aint that deep, am going to ask for the next one to be greenshifted just due to the fact it is going to take over an hour for the event to end naturally and if an antag does anything that leaves the station in ruin even if it doesn't the directly affect the event will end the event or the crew not taking part in the event will be resentful if we recall the shuttle while the station is swiss cheese. And I was overall pleased with the results we got from the event when it was greenshifted.

If you take issue with this then, dont play. Its ok to take a break for an hour or so.
dirk_mcblade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #688722

wubli wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:20 pm
dirk_mcblade wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:55 pm Either that or wubli gives every rolled antag an antag token every time wubli decides to hall monitor the paint contest for interfering with their antag rounds on an LRP server as an admin. That's the only way I see this being remotely equitable if admins are allowed to just arbitrarily suspend rule 4. There's a difference between the history of other players being voluntarily polite during these events versus an admin just threatening them into compliance. One is based and the other is cringe.
?
I didn't set the round to extended. I specifically told Wine not to because it was against Mario's wishes. What the fuck is this post? You can check admin logs through parsed logs to see that I didn't touch antags at all.
I didn't take any action. You can verify this. This is a needlessly hostile post over a few posts I made about believing people griefing the event just because sucked - but it did not happen nor did I do anything. Please take a second to verify what happened before you dedicate a post to call me a hall monitor and that I arbitrarily apply rules when I literally complied with what the event runner decided. I'm not your fucking enemy, Jesus Christ
To clarify since the idiom may have been lost in translation, I think greenshifting the round a player event is on is an acceptable solution.

But you know what? I was wrong. I still strongly disagree with having meta protections over an LRP player event (aside from sidestepping the issue by turning off antags which I think is an acceptable compromise), but merely discussing it as a possibility isn't inherently wrong and just part of the planning process so I shouldn't have called you out for only talking about it. Therefore I apologize for that.
Boot

Post by Boot » #688747

Seems weird that Wine would force a green shift after being explicitly told by Wubli that the guy running the event doesn't want that.
Image Image
dragomagol
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Dragomagol

Post by dragomagol » #688754

AKA tattle

Help improve my neural network by giving me feedback!

Spoiler:
dirk_mcblade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #688758

Boot wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:16 pm Seems weird that Wine would force a green shift after being explicitly told by Wubli that the guy running the event doesn't want that.
On the other hand, where's the rule saying admins can't force greenshifts?
PengisBungholius
Byond Username: PengisBungholius

Post by PengisBungholius » #688768

I recorded the round, but uhhh didn't deafen myself in the tgstation discord vc... so the beginning has talking (and someone sniffling grossly) but it tapers off (I think I only checked like the first 10 min)

https://youtu.be/GyfwmAsWYW4

about 6 min in is when the painting starts upstairs, about 50 min is when judging starts
wubli

Post by wubli » #688771

dirk_mcblade wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:04 am To clarify since the idiom may have been lost in translation, I think greenshifting the round a player event is on is an acceptable solution.

But you know what? I was wrong. I still strongly disagree with having meta protections over an LRP player event (aside from sidestepping the issue by turning off antags which I think is an acceptable compromise), but merely discussing it as a possibility isn't inherently wrong and just part of the planning process so I shouldn't have called you out for only talking about it. Therefore I apologize for that.
greenshifting a round is giving it meta protections. if you're not an antag, there's hardly any chance of a conflict arising and leading to escalation during an event where most people will be painting on a canvas. is there a itty-bitty tiny chance that it will? yeah, i guess.

the difference is it removes antags entirely so there will be no chance of (legal) griefing. if you don't want to participate but still want to antag, you could do it while being aware that for this specific round, you can't touch the library
so i'm quite confused here because apparently antags not being able to bomb one specific place is bad and terrible but forcing greenshift and not allowing any antags at alldoes not qualify as wasting a round because not everyone can play a lot. truly what is the difference? if you give it a metaprotection, you're actually not fucking over those who want to play the game normally during this round with antags and all, by just asking them kindly not to ruin this specific event. it doesn't seem very logical to me to be fine with removing the chance of antags for everyone for the sake of the event, but not with asking antags to not touch one part of the station
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #688777

dirk is definitely going to get themselves banned with an attitude like that lmao
Shellton(Mario)

Post by Shellton(Mario) » #688779

PengisBungholius wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:34 pm I recorded the round, but uhhh didn't deafen myself in the tgstation discord vc... so the beginning has talking (and someone sniffling grossly) but it tapers off (I think I only checked like the first 10 min)

https://youtu.be/GyfwmAsWYW4

about 6 min in is when the painting starts upstairs, about 50 min is when judging starts
God bless you pengis, this video will be used to math out how much more time we would had needed
dirk_mcblade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #688797

wubli wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:13 pm
dirk_mcblade wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:04 am To clarify since the idiom may have been lost in translation, I think greenshifting the round a player event is on is an acceptable solution.

greenshifting a round is giving it meta protections. if you're not an antag, there's hardly any chance of a conflict arising and leading to escalation during an event where most people will be painting on a canvas. is there a itty-bitty tiny chance that it will? yeah, i guess.

the difference is it removes antags entirely so there will be no chance of (legal) griefing. if you don't want to participate but still want to antag, you could do it while being aware that for this specific round, you can't touch the library
so i'm quite confused here because apparently antags not being able to bomb one specific place is bad and terrible but forcing greenshift and not allowing any antags at alldoes not qualify as wasting a round because not everyone can play a lot. truly what is the difference? if you give it a metaprotection, you're actually not fucking over those who want to play the game normally during this round with antags and all, by just asking them kindly not to ruin this specific event. it doesn't seem very logical to me to be fine with removing the chance of antags for everyone for the sake of the event, but not with asking antags to not touch one part of the station
One results in you potentially banning someone for not breaking the rules and the other one doesn't result in you potentially doing that and in fact avoids putting yourself in that situation where you'd have to write twenty paragraphs justifying why you banned someone in FNR and how rule 4 doesn't apply when you're online without any policy threads on the wiki supporting your stance. I don't see any rule zero or rule one policies supporting you banning someone who bombs library once on Sybil during an event. Do you not see the difference?
oranges wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:38 pm dirk is definitely going to get themselves banned with an attitude like that lmao
Maybe. But I've been playing at least three years and have been banned once so that indicates to me I generally understand the rules and am a rule respecter™️. It's a moot point anyway because shelton is requesting green shifts for the event which again I think is the sensible solution.
Bawhoppennn
Github User
Byond Username: Bawhoppennn
Github Username: Bawhoppen

Post by Bawhoppennn » #688830

Dirk is probably right here but I only read one of the posts so maybe not
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

<KorMobile> you're a hero

[21:20:53] <%oranges> Baw "has cute legs" hoppen
DEAD: ADMIN(Owegno) says, "Nothing lewd happens in adminbus sadly."

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

(F) DEAD: Professor DonkPocket says, "Admins preventchaos with good messages"

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> russians have no souls so magic enrages them
<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
wubli

Post by wubli » #688831

I don't think you understand rule 0 - it pretty much means rules can be applied arbitrarily if it's considered for the best of the server (like quality control bans). I would not need to justify it much if you're asked specifically to not do one thing and you do it.
For example for OP TC trades I ask people to not go ham with them. To be considerate and try not to just wipe the station but make things more interesting. This is literally me restricting "lone antags can do whatever", just like I just gave someone gear you can't normally get in exchange for meaningless currency because I figured it'd be nice for the round.
I don't think we'll go anywhere with this so we'll have to agree to disagree and if it comes to it we'll get headmin policy 👍
WineAllWine
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Wineallwine

Post by WineAllWine » #688845

dirk_mcblade wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:19 pm
Boot wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:16 pm Seems weird that Wine would force a green shift after being explicitly told by Wubli that the guy running the event doesn't want that.
On the other hand, where's the rule saying admins can't force greenshifts?
It's very possible I was misremembering; it was quite late my time
stairmaster
Byond Username: Stairmaster

Post by stairmaster » #689270

i should have won