Dr. Quinn Does Weird Science

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
Chadley
Byond Username: Armodias

Dr. Quinn Does Weird Science

Post by Chadley » #686586

*GASP*

Oh, hey. It's you. Sorry, I've been pretty tired recently. I haven't gotten much sleep since working on my dissertation on the broken clock theory.

It's coming along, but the research isn't all there yet.

Hm? Oh. What's that? That's just ekat.

I'm trying to figure out how one man can make this many bad takes. I've had to sift through a lot of really really shitty statements. One of these has gotta be right...

Sometimes I thought I found one, but then I realize it was a quote. This guy gets into a lot of fights.
ekaterina wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 9:20 pm
conrad wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 9:12 pm I admire Ekaterina's willpower to be wrong all the time and die on every hill they stand.
You can repeat the lie that I'm wrong over and over as many times as you want and I'll still be right.
Plug your ears and cover your eyes while you do it so you can look even more like a child throwing a tantrum over hearing the truth that you dislike.
And some of them are just really bad...
ekaterina wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 7:54 pm
iwishforducks wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 3:37 pmi genuinely think multi-z is a mistake and that the game would be better off without it.
You should have campaigned on a platform of taking multi-Z maps off the rotation. You'd have won in a landslide lmao.
I don't even understand this one.
ekaterina wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 7:54 pm Cyborgs are conversion antags.
... I know it's bait, it's just like...
ekaterina wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 7:54 pm I have an idea! How about we just print money? What could possibly go wrong?

*sigh*

Y'know forumites. I'm on page 6 now, and I still can't find anything correct that he said-

Hey... Where did he go..?

OH FUCK!

Last edited by Chadley on Sun May 21, 2023 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
► Show Spoiler
ekaterina
Byond Username: Ekaterina von Russland

Re: Dr. Quinn Does Weird Science

Post by ekaterina » #686593

teleports behind you
baton crackles, sparks fly
the sec hailer exclaims "FACE THE WRATH OF THE GOLDEN BOLT"
Chadley wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 10:24 pm One of these has gotta be right...
All of them are right, without fail. You're just not robust enough to see it.
I have a confirmed grand total of 1 merged PR. That basically means I'm a c*der now. 8-)
toemas wrote: ekaterina is really funny because they just consistently say what should be complete common sense (...) and then they get dogpiled by everyone in the thread
kinnebian wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:51 am i agree with ekaterina but in a less aggressive manner
sinfulbliss wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:03 am Marina is actually a very high quality roleplayer, believe it or not, and a pretty fun and good-faith player in my experience.
warbluke wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:03 am Suboptimal research play detected, deploying lethal force.
Timberpoes wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:50 am No deviations allowed. All must know the meta. All must power the game.
TheLoLSwat
Byond Username: TheLoLSwat

Post by TheLoLSwat » #686604

someone better than me at this should edit ekat hunting down the players club one by one
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #686606

shouldn't have skimped out on the iStock padded room. what you needed was a real 100% polyester padded room

too late now though
Spoiler:
kinnebian
Byond Username: Kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #686617

this is FUCKED up i cant even find my stock photos to properly assemble a cry for help
respect (let him do his thing)
NoxVS
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NoxVS

Post by NoxVS » #686637

Ok listen guys quick but important lesson

When using sprites and pictures from the game, you have to be careful with scaling

Here we have a revolver, in all it's glory. But It's kinda small and difficult to see, so let's scale it up!

Wow! That looks terrible! And that's because we used bilinear scaling. We told it to make the image bigger, and to do this it needs to add more pixels. How does it know what pixels to add? In this instance, we told it to guess. You need a pixel between a black pixel and a red pixel, and so it decides that's probably supposed to be in the middle - Dark red.

What you need to use is nearest neighbor scaling

There it is, nice and crisp. Instead of estimating what pixel to use, this method just picks the closest one that's already there and uses that color. As long as you don't enlarge it in very small quantities, it looks great.
The weak should fear the strong
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server
dirk_mcblade
Byond Username: Dirk_McBlade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #686638

Bilinear scaling (and cubic) looks like ass for sprites.
Chadley

Post by Chadley » #686639

NoxVS wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 5:46 am Ok listen guys quick but important lesson

When using sprites and pictures from the game, you have to be careful with scaling

Here we have a revolver, in all it's glory. But It's kinda small and difficult to see, so let's scale it up!

Wow! That looks terrible! And that's because we used bilinear scaling. We told it to make the image bigger, and to do this it needs to add more pixels. How does it know what pixels to add? In this instance, we told it to guess. You need a pixel between a black pixel and a red pixel, and so it decides that's probably supposed to be in the middle - Dark red.

There it is, nice and crisp. Instead of estimating what pixel to use, this method just picks the closest one that's already there and uses that color. As long as you don't enlarge it in very small quantities, it looks great.
Fucking Nox. What with his. knowledge. n shit. fuck you nox.

► Show Spoiler
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #686640

all of them look equally shit because the new revolver is some sort of weird nerf airsoft gun

I HAVE MULTIPLE REVOLVERS AT HOME, I'LL BE SHOOTING THEM IN A FEW DAYS. THEY DO NOT LOOK LIKE THIS. THE BARREL IS NOT THE SIZE OF THE FUCKING CYLINDER. THEY DO NOT HAVE "RED STRIPES" ACROSS AND THE SIGHT IS NOT RED EITHER. IT'S FUCKING ONE BRUSHED COLOR, AT MOST THE HANDLE IS LEATHER OR RUBBER.

sorry spergout over, got a visceral reaction.
Spoiler:
conrad
Byond Username: Conrad Thunderbunch

Post by conrad » #686649

sinfulbliss wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 6:11 am I HAVE MULTIPLE REVOLVERS AT HOME, I'LL BE SHOOTING THEM IN A FEW DAYS. THEY DO NOT LOOK LIKE THIS. THE BARREL IS NOT THE SIZE OF THE FUCKING CYLINDER. THEY DO NOT HAVE "RED STRIPES" ACROSS AND THE SIGHT IS NOT RED EITHER. IT'S FUCKING ONE BRUSHED COLOR, AT MOST THE HANDLE IS LEATHER OR RUBBER.
Man from the South being man from the South.
I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here. :hug::beer: 𝒯𝒶𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶 𝓈𝒶𝒷𝒶𝓉𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓁. :faggot::heart:
And now a word from our sponsors:
dendydoom wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:51 am conrad is a badass
Armhulen wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:08 pm
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:13 pm
Kendrickorium wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:53 am
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:24 am
conrad wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
Speak for yourself two-eyes.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
absolutely based, do you wear an eyepatch?
That would render a cyclops blind.
RedBaronFlyer wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:52 pm
Drag wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
It would somehow manage to pick Birdshot Station for headmin if we did that
Lacran wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
Vekter wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
dendydoom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
NoxVS
In-Game Admin

Post by NoxVS » #686652

sinfulbliss wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 6:11 am

all of them look equally shit because the new revolver is some sort of weird nerf airsoft gun

I HAVE MULTIPLE REVOLVERS AT HOME, I'LL BE SHOOTING THEM IN A FEW DAYS. THEY DO NOT LOOK LIKE THIS. THE BARREL IS NOT THE SIZE OF THE FUCKING CYLINDER. THEY DO NOT HAVE "RED STRIPES" ACROSS AND THE SIGHT IS NOT RED EITHER. IT'S FUCKING ONE BRUSHED COLOR, AT MOST THE HANDLE IS LEATHER OR RUBBER.

ok but this is the syndicate one

you don't join an evil crime syndicate and NOT have absurd guns with red everywhere

it's their branding, this is like buying an iphone and complaining it has an apple logo on it
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server
saprasam
Byond Username: Saprasam

Post by saprasam » #686655

sinfulbliss wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 6:11 am all of them look equally shit because the new revolver is some sort of weird nerf airsoft gun

i get its an evil syndicate that has extreme levels of branding but it looks like some shit straight out of a roblox fighting game. if it didn't have the colouring and was super damn chunky, sure. chunky revolvers are evil. but the colours make me irrationally angry
(FORMER) tgmc admin (I HAVE REGAINED MY HUMAN RIGHTS)
TheLoLSwat

Post by TheLoLSwat » #686678

i think we’re forgetting one thing, these are evil revolvers in space so it matches
Cheshify
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Cheshify

Post by Cheshify » #686681

All this thread has convinced me of is that we should take every accurate gun in the game and make them space-agey and silly
Shout out to Riggle
Shout out to Dessysalta
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #686705

Cheshify wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 2:06 pm All this thread has convinced me of is that we should take every accurate gun in the game and make them space-agey and silly
I want to throw a riot shotgun at Axle Brady and have him freak out about how it isn't realistic.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
dirk_mcblade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #686711

sinfulbliss wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 6:11 am

I hate the new sprite and agree with everything you said except you could get a red fiber optic sight for your revolver. The red front sight is the least of its problems.
Will also add that wheel guns are already, in my opinion, the fedora and katana of the gun world in present day let alone in wacky future space age. But I like the detective having one and I suppose there might as well be a 357 version to meta with.
dirk_mcblade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #686712

Rhino_Revolver_Black_6-inch_Barrel_Chiappa_Firearms_1.jpg
Hey sprite makers, do you want to have a futuristic syndicate revolver that doesn't look like you have no clue what you're drawing? Use the rhino revolver as a starting point and add a red stripe to it (if you must).
Omega_DarkPotato
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Omega_DarkPotato

Post by Omega_DarkPotato » #686731

fun fact, every futuristic revolver is either the rhino or autorevolver
Super Aggro Crag wrote:This is what u get when u let people into your community
play opus: echo of starsong
I'm an admin, typically on /tg/station Sybil. If you've got anything you'd like to say about me, my adminning, or my decisions, please comment in my admin feedback thread!
kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #686732

Why cant we all just sit down and enjoy a glass of the "assault rifle" from FO4?
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #686734

dirk_mcblade wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 7:52 pm Rhino_Revolver_Black_6-inch_Barrel_Chiappa_Firearms_1.jpgHey sprite makers, do you want to have a futuristic syndicate revolver that doesn't look like you have no clue what you're drawing? Use the rhino revolver as a starting point and add a red stripe to it (if you must).
one of the ugliest revolvers of alltime
Spoiler:
dirk_mcblade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #686740

sinfulbliss wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 2:16 am
dirk_mcblade wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 7:52 pm Rhino_Revolver_Black_6-inch_Barrel_Chiappa_Firearms_1.jpgHey sprite makers, do you want to have a futuristic syndicate revolver that doesn't look like you have no clue what you're drawing? Use the rhino revolver as a starting point and add a red stripe to it (if you must).
At least it exists as a revolver instead of the current flare gun spray painted black.
dirk_mcblade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #686741

kinnebian wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 1:11 am Why cant we all just sit down and enjoy a glass of the "assault rifle" from FO4?
Between this and the fact that they will use any made up name except the accurate names such as morphine and methamphetamine for their drugs, fallout in my opinion is actually pretty corny in its attempts to not reference anything that exists in real life for its games.
TheLoLSwat

Post by TheLoLSwat » #686743

kinnebian wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 1:11 am Why cant we all just sit down and enjoy a glass of the "assault rifle" from FO4?

i love how dumb fallout guns look they’re just wacky enough
AwkwardStereo
Byond Username: AwkwardStereo

Post by AwkwardStereo » #686745

you are fucking insane
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #686748

AwkwardStereo wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 3:28 am
you are fucking insane
This is how a 357 revolver is supposed to look. One brushed metal color, either silver or gunmetal black. A barrel smaller than the cylinder, and a wood/rubber handle.

IT'S NOT ROCKET SCIENCE. NOTICE THIS IS IDENTICAL TO THE PREVIOUS 357 REVOLVER SPRITE. WHY THEY REPLACED IT IS BEYOND ME
Spoiler:
Chadley

Post by Chadley » #686749

My forumpost bullying ekat... It's been hijacked...
► Show Spoiler
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #686752

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rc2wDyMbh0o

even hickock agrees it's ugly
Spoiler:
IT'S LIKE THE OLD 357 SPRITE VS THE NEW IRL
Spoiler:
AwkwardStereo

Post by AwkwardStereo » #686754

sinfulbliss wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 3:33 am
AwkwardStereo wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 3:28 am
you are fucking insane
This is how a 357 revolver is supposed to look. One brushed metal color, either silver or gunmetal black. A barrel smaller than the cylinder, and a wood/rubber handle.

IT'S NOT ROCKET SCIENCE. NOTICE THIS IS IDENTICAL TO THE PREVIOUS 357 REVOLVER SPRITE. WHY THEY REPLACED IT IS BEYOND ME
there's a place for grampa's revolver but if i wanted one it'd be this sexy beast.
► Show Spoiler
dirk_mcblade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #686755

Nearly everyone agrees the rhino is ugly, but it's arguably the most modern revolver in terms of design. Unless you count Ruger adding polymer frames and improving the internal mechanics / triggers of some of its revolvers, but I think of that as an incremental improvement rather than a brand new design (subjective opinion). I still think revolvers are obsolete for most gun owners except for extreme casuals or people who just like them.
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #686756

AwkwardStereo wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 3:56 am there's a place for grampa's revolver but if i wanted one it'd be this sexy beast.
Spoiler:
That's a fairly sexy gun, I'll admit, but I just don't like that squared off cylinder. A cylinder should be ROUND. It's like a revolver trying to be a semiauto.
dirk_mcblade wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 4:00 am I still think revolvers are obsolete for most gun owners except for extreme casuals or people who just like them.
WRONG. A revolver is the most reliable firearm you could possibly purchase. You can leave a revolver in a drawer for 5 years, pick it up, drop it in the mud, chuck it down a flight of stairs, and it'll still shoot like you just bought it. Semiautos are liable to jam... And if you press up hard enough against the barrel, you can push it out of battery so it won't fire.
Spoiler:
dirk_mcblade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #686758

sinfulbliss wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 4:07 am [
dirk_mcblade wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 4:00 am I still think revolvers are obsolete for most gun owners except for extreme casuals or people who just like them.
WRONG. A revolver is the most reliable firearm you could possibly purchase. You can leave a revolver in a drawer for 5 years, pick it up, drop it in the mud, chuck it down a flight of stairs, and it'll still shoot like you just bought it. Semiautos are liable to jam... And if you press up hard enough against the barrel, you can push it out of battery so it won't fire.
I think that's a common opinion and I agree re: leaving it in a drawer for five years without doing any care which is why it's a decent choice for people who rarely shoot guns but I don't know if that's true re: the premise that it's mechanically simpler or more reliable. If you have a malfunction with your revolver you might end up having to deal with cylinder timing and all sorts of bullshit that you probably can't deal with in the field or at all (I wouldn't know how to fix that). If you have a malfunction with your semiauto you can fix the problem most of the time by racking the slide. But I don't know I bought a semiauto that had a reputation for being reliable, worked out of the box with its packing grease, and thereafter I kept it oiled and didn't drop it in mud (skill / holster issue tbh I don't go out knee deep into rice paddies); don't really recall any malfunctions except when I put on a 22lr barrel but I don't think I ever shot 22lr in any gun without it malfunctioning sometimes.

Meanwhile you're giving up a significant amount of anmo capacity and, in the case of a 9mm pistol, cheaper ammo with which to practice. If you live in a state with magazine capacity limits then a revolver starts making more sense. I'd probably take a 686 plus over a 1911.
dirk_mcblade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #686759

AwkwardStereo wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 3:56 am
there's a place for grampa's revolver but if i wanted one it'd be this sexy beast.
► Show Spoiler
Not sure whether I like or dislike the cylinder (is it even a cylinder if it's squared off). The version you posted also seems to look better than the one I posted.
All the stuff that's ugly about the rhino are design features. The barrel is low to reduce felt recoil so you need metal up high to attach sights to, and they put holes in it to save weight (ugly). It has a railing under the barrel for attachments, which is useful (ugly).

This on the other hand is an example of what I consider aesthetic and a peak of slavic engineering. I wouldn't be surprised if it passed a mud test. The somewhat similar Cz75 P-01 does, supposedly: https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/czechpi ... t1489.html
CZ-75D-PCR-mag-800.jpg
Last edited by dirk_mcblade on Mon May 22, 2023 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheshify
In-Game Game Master

Post by Cheshify » #686761

datorangebottle wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 6:47 pm
Cheshify wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 2:06 pm All this thread has convinced me of is that we should take every accurate gun in the game and make them space-agey and silly
I want to throw a riot shotgun at Axle Brady and have him freak out about how it isn't realistic.
And also taking every recognizable ammo type and completely changing it.
Shout out to Riggle
Shout out to Dessysalta
dirk_mcblade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #686763

Cheshify wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 5:04 am
This is trolling basically on the level of "Haha I'm only pretending to be retarded". Why would you even bother messing with guns in a game without doing a small amount of research first?
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #686766

dirk_mcblade wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 4:39 am Meanwhile you're giving up a significant amount of anmo capacity and, in the case of a 9mm pistol, cheaper ammo with which to practice. If you live in a state with magazine capacity limits then a revolver starts making more sense. I'd probably take a 686 plus over a 1911.
You are, but most self defense scenarios end in 2-3 bullets I think is the statistic. You don't really need more ammo, but the ammo you do use should definitely be guaranteed to work.
I don't think you will get any cylinder malfunctions in a quality, well-made revolver, but I have shot some pretty expensive well-made semi-autos and have had them jam before. If you limpwrist the trigger or any number of things, you could end up with a jam.
Last edited by sinfulbliss on Mon May 22, 2023 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
Cheshify
In-Game Game Master

Post by Cheshify » #686767

dirk_mcblade wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 5:11 am
This is trolling basically on the level of "Haha I'm only pretending to be retarded". Why would you even bother messing with guns in a game without doing a small amount of research first?
Because purposefully pissing off gun nerds to make cool and funny weapons gives me joy.
Shout out to Riggle
Shout out to Dessysalta
dirk_mcblade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #686769

sinfulbliss wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 5:15 am
dirk_mcblade wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 4:39 am Meanwhile you're giving up a significant amount of anmo capacity and, in the case of a 9mm pistol, cheaper ammo with which to practice. If you live in a state with magazine capacity limits then a revolver starts making more sense. I'd probably take a 686 plus over a 1911.
You are, but most self defense scenarios end in 2-3 bullets I think is the statistic. You don't really need more ammo, but the ammo you do use should definitely be guaranteed to work.
I don't think you will get any cylinder malfunctions in a quality, well-made revolver, but I have shot some pretty expensive well-made semi-autos and have had them jam before. If you limpwrist the trigger or any number of things, you could end up with a jam.
I'll believe that statistic, but the unanswered issue is what kind of revolver will you be using. If it's 4 or 6 inch, fine, you'll probably use a 357 which will have stopping power but if you're concealed carry and you use a snub nosed, then I personally would only be using 38 special which performs worse than 9mm in exchange for a revolver that prints more than some subcompacts and compact 9mm semiautos (which is yet another disadvantage of the revolver, that it is wider than semiautos).
Lastly is the 2-3 shots a function of shots before incapacitating someone or shots given limited time? If you have a pistol with single action triggers it will fire more rounds in less time than a double action revolver.
I'm not saying people can't enjoy revolvers or that they aren't adequate for most people's purposes, I just think technologically they're inferior to semiautomatics.
Last edited by dirk_mcblade on Mon May 22, 2023 5:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
dirk_mcblade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #686770

Cheshify wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 5:15 am
Because purposefully pissing off gun nerds to make cool and funny weapons gives me joy.
Every day my theory that having no soul is correlated with being a janny gets confirmed more and more.
Cheshify
In-Game Game Master

Post by Cheshify » #686771

dirk_mcblade wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 5:25 am
Every day my theory that having no soul is correlated with being a janny gets confirmed more and more.
Oh no my friend, you don't get it. I have plenty of Soul to be sprinkled into every gun in the game :)
Shout out to Riggle
Shout out to Dessysalta
dirk_mcblade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #686772

Cheshify wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 5:42 am
dirk_mcblade wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 5:25 am
Oh no my friend, you don't get it. I have plenty of Soul to be sprinkled into every gun in the game :)
Are you responsible for that syndicate revolver heresy?
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #686781

the revolver first bows to game concerns, then reality
CMDR_Gungnir
Byond Username: CMDR Gungnir

Post by CMDR_Gungnir » #686782

dirk_mcblade wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 5:23 am I'm not saying people can't enjoy revolvers or that they aren't adequate for most people's purposes, I just think technologically they're inferior to semiautomatics.
Admitting beforehand that I've zero experience with firearms, but offering my opinion as a Logical Thinker;

I'd consider it similar to a smartfridge or a smartlock on your house. Sure, my analog lock is technologically inferior, and the smartlock that can pick up my smartkey and unlock the door when I get close to it is mighty convenient.

But at the same time, with an analog lock, I know that there's no situation where it'll stop working. If you ARE carrying in your day-to-day, I have to assume you have it for the off-chance you need it. Sure, that semiauto is pretty fancy, and sure that revolver sure is a lot less technologically advanced.

But if I'm in the kind of life or death situation where I need that thing in the first place, I don't want to roll the dice and hope it doesn't jam.
kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #686786

Chadley wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 3:36 am My forumpost bullying ekat... It's been hijacked...
worse, its been hijacked by gun nerds
AwkwardStereo

Post by AwkwardStereo » #686787

dirk_mcblade wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 4:59 am
Not sure whether I like or dislike the cylinder (is it even a cylinder if it's squared off). The version you posted also seems to look better than the one I posted.
All the stuff that's ugly about the rhino are design features. The barrel is low to reduce felt recoil so you need metal up high to attach sights to, and they put holes in it to save weight (ugly). It has a railing under the barrel for attachments, which is useful (ugly).

This on the other hand is an example of what I consider aesthetic and a peak of slavic engineering. I wouldn't be surprised if it passed a mud test. The somewhat similar Cz75 P-01 does, supposedly: https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/czechpi ... t1489.html
CZ-75D-PCR-mag-800.jpg
I mean, it still rolls like a cylinder. Does it really matter that much beyond aesthetics? They're both wheel guns.

The Rhino borrowed some from the Mateba Unica 6. It was a pretty weird but very cool auto revolver, as opposed to the Rhino being Double/Single action. Easily one of the coolest and sexiest firearms to ever exist, in my opinion. If I recall correctly it is also very rare.

That CZ looks pretty alright though I've never really had a place for compacts in my heart. Full size handguns I feel are peak handgun aesthetic.
Bawhoppennn
Github User
Byond Username: Bawhoppennn
Github Username: Bawhoppen

Post by Bawhoppennn » #686788

I stopped reading the thread when I saw the new syndicate revolver sprite
WHAT IS THAT THING
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

<KorMobile> you're a hero

[21:20:53] <%oranges> Baw "has cute legs" hoppen
DEAD: ADMIN(Owegno) says, "Nothing lewd happens in adminbus sadly."

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

(F) DEAD: Professor DonkPocket says, "Admins preventchaos with good messages"

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> russians have no souls so magic enrages them
<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
dirk_mcblade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #686792

AwkwardStereo wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 10:26 am
dirk_mcblade wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 4:59 am

CZ-75D-PCR-mag-800.jpg
I mean, it still rolls like a cylinder. Does it really matter that much beyond aesthetics? They're both wheel guns.

The Rhino borrowed some from the Mateba Unica 6. It was a pretty weird but very cool auto revolver, as opposed to the Rhino being Double/Single action. Easily one of the coolest and sexiest firearms to ever exist, in my opinion. If I recall correctly it is also very rare.

That CZ looks pretty alright though I've never really had a place for compacts in my heart. Full size handguns I feel are peak handgun aesthetic.
I'll look into that revolver, looks interesting.

There are full size CZ 75s as well, but their features aren't exactly the same (seems like they have about half a dozen models riffing off the original).
KJ018.jpg
CMDR_Gungnir wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 9:11 am
dirk_mcblade wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 5:23 am I'm not saying people can't enjoy revolvers or that they aren't adequate for most people's purposes, I just think technologically they're inferior to semiautomatics.
Admitting beforehand that I've zero experience with firearms, but offering my opinion as a Logical Thinker;

I'd consider it similar to a smartfridge or a smartlock on your house. Sure, my analog lock is technologically inferior, and the smartlock that can pick up my smartkey and unlock the door when I get close to it is mighty convenient.

But at the same time, with an analog lock, I know that there's no situation where it'll stop working. If you ARE carrying in your day-to-day, I have to assume you have it for the off-chance you need it. Sure, that semiauto is pretty fancy, and sure that revolver sure is a lot less technologically advanced.

But if I'm in the kind of life or death situation where I need that thing in the first place, I don't want to roll the dice and hope it doesn't jam.
I'm not an expert either, but for context, the CZ P-01 is supposedly NATO torture test compliant and has a failure rate of one shot per 2142 per the link I sent earlier. And a failure to fire would probably be corrected by just racking the slide. I'd roll the dice with those odds. Some handguns are worse than others, but if you properly maintain it and practice shooting like once a month you shouldn't have a problem. If you shoot less often a revolver is a good alternative. I'd have more confidence in a revolver collecting dust for five years in a drawer than a semiautomatic. I think 1911s in particular are range queens based on seeing one of them misfire pretty badly out of the box. Glocks are also probably pretty reliable since I think some of them are NATO compliant, which counts for something. I personally don't like glocks but that's a personal preference.
Chadley

Post by Chadley » #686811

kinnebian wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 9:51 am
Chadley wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 3:36 am My forumpost bullying ekat... It's been hijacked...
worse, its been hijacked by gun nerds
I had this whole idea lined up... Where like, ekat goes around killing all the people who are right to try and absorb their opinions, and then see if he ever makes a good take but like....
► Show Spoiler
dirk_mcblade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #686815

It's the least of what you deserve for playing on a server with that terrible of a revolver sprite.
NoxVS
In-Game Admin

Post by NoxVS » #686818

I can remake the post I made with like the clown mask instead but I don't think I can stop what I've accidentally started
wubli
Byond Username: Wubli

Post by wubli » #686826

I have developed cptsd triggered by the words "girls supporting girls"
argentina campeón :peel: :peel: :peel:
what's cooking good looking i'm jill desouza and i am here to try