Nuts: The great con-promise

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
WineAllWine
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Wineallwine

Nuts: The great con-promise

Post by WineAllWine » #688951

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=34199

It's sparked some fiery discussion in admin channels
The Wrench
Byond Username: The Wrench

Re: Nuts: The great con-promise

Post by The Wrench » #688956

Too bad we can’t see the admin channels
Jonathan Gupta wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:32 pm all you godamn do is whine and complain come up with ideas, stop bitching for christs sake.
Flatulent wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:02 am You and anyone who supports the rule 3 as described by mso is simply put not an lrp player

Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #688965

decent thread name
NoxVS
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NoxVS

Post by NoxVS » #688969

Bans are a form of punishment.

Notes are a form of punishment because they increase the odds of a ban.

Verbal warnings are a form of punishment because the admin that gives you one may escalate to a note or ban next time.

An admin looking at you is a form of punishment because it increases the chances that they see you breaking the rules and give you a warning/note/ban.

Playing the game is a form of punishment because admins are more likely to be lenient if you're a new player, as older players should know better by now. Players will also inevitably slip up, meaning every hour you play brings you closer to making a mistake that results in a warning/note/ban.
The weak should fear the strong
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server
The Wrench
Byond Username: The Wrench

Post by The Wrench » #688971

NoxVS wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:16 pm Playing the game is a form of punishment
Another banger from Nox
Jonathan Gupta wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:32 pm all you godamn do is whine and complain come up with ideas, stop bitching for christs sake.
Flatulent wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:02 am You and anyone who supports the rule 3 as described by mso is simply put not an lrp player

dragomagol
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Dragomagol

Post by dragomagol » #688975

Why does a policy discussion need a peanut thread? Go post on the policy thread. Unless you just came up with a sick peanut title and wanted to share, in which case carry on
NoxVS wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:16 pm Bans are a form of punishment.

Notes are a form of punishment because they increase the odds of a ban.

Verbal warnings are a form of punishment because the admin that gives you one may escalate to a note or ban next time.

An admin looking at you is a form of punishment because it increases the chances that they see you breaking the rules and give you a warning/note/ban.

Playing the game is a form of punishment because admins are more likely to be lenient if you're a new player, as older players should know better by now. Players will also inevitably slip up, meaning every hour you play brings you closer to making a mistake that results in a warning/note/ban.
AKA tattle

Help improve my neural network by giving me feedback!

Spoiler:
kinnebian
Byond Username: Kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #688977

everytime im on the server its a punishment
respect (let him do his thing)
WineAllWine
In-Game Admin Trainer

Post by WineAllWine » #688983

dragomagol wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:25 pm Why does a policy discussion need a peanut thread? Go post on the policy thread. Unless you just came up with a sick peanut title and wanted to share, in which case carry on
I just liked the title
Fren256
Byond Username: Fren256

Post by Fren256 » #688986

Truly being an admin in tg is the greatest punishment of all
conrad wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 5:25 pm I want you to know that I value you as a person.
Avid lizard player
Spoiler:
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #688997

the empress-maia ban from that policy thread is STILL stupid. You shouldnt powergame or seek to optimise antag hunting but also if you do anything fun and risky with an antag and it goes wrong you get a weekban even if nobody died.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
BrolyButterfingers
Byond Username: DurrHurrDurrHurr

Post by BrolyButterfingers » #689009

Not-Dorsidarf wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:00 pm the empress-maia ban from that policy thread is STILL stupid. You shouldnt powergame or seek to optimise antag hunting but also if you do anything fun and risky with an antag and it goes wrong you get a weekban even if nobody died.
It's actually the single most frustrating ban I've experienced on /tg/ and I was the intended fuckin' victim, yeah.
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #689014

WineAllWine wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:28 pm viewtopic.php?f=33&t=34199

It's sparked some fiery discussion in admin channels
tell the COWARDS to put forth their opinions in the PUBLIC POLICY THREAD.

little... ground creatures... slithering behind the woodwork to control the strings of congress IN THE SILENT SHADOWS. OUT WITH YE!
Spoiler:
conrad
Byond Username: Conrad Thunderbunch

Post by conrad » #689015

I am posting on my own peanut thread. Surely nothing bad could come of this.
I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here. :hug::beer: 𝒯𝒶𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶 𝓈𝒶𝒷𝒶𝓉𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓁. :faggot::heart:
And now a word from our sponsors:
dendydoom wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:51 am conrad is a badass
Armhulen wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:08 pm
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:13 pm
Kendrickorium wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:53 am
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:24 am
conrad wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
Speak for yourself two-eyes.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
absolutely based, do you wear an eyepatch?
That would render a cyclops blind.
RedBaronFlyer wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:52 pm
Drag wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
It would somehow manage to pick Birdshot Station for headmin if we did that
Lacran wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
Vekter wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
dendydoom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #689017

BrolyButterfingers wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:59 pm
Not-Dorsidarf wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:00 pm the empress-maia ban from that policy thread is STILL stupid. You shouldnt powergame or seek to optimise antag hunting but also if you do anything fun and risky with an antag and it goes wrong you get a weekban even if nobody died.
It's actually the single most frustrating ban I've experienced on /tg/ and I was the intended fuckin' victim, yeah.
Last term dropped the ball in upholding that ban.

Nobody wanted that ban except the admins involved. The players didn't want that ban. The victims didn't want that ban. A bunch of unrelated admins didn't want that ban. And yet that ban stayed. The player's reputation preceded them, and a perfectly valid IC issue ascended into a ban upheld on appeal. Reduced in length, but still kept.

Those are the kind of decisions that ripple through the team and our make our time volunteering that much more difficult. Word spreads and some players don't want to risk being in the same position. They'll appeal minor stuff they would've let slide before. They'll resist notes more in tickets. Generally treat the admin team with more contempt. It was important enough that it came up during the headmin elections for Rave, as a negative mark against their term.

It represents progress towards pointless, contextless, rote bans and notes. A culmination of years of "note everything and never trust a player with notes". It felt obvious to me that Maia wasn't even toeing the line and Rule 7 was a stretch. It was a failure to stop for just 10 seconds, look at the scenario and everyone involved, then apply a little common sense and critical thinking.

When we're not sensible and start trying to treat adminning like a job instead of a hobby, we start to lose sight of the reason we have admins. To make the game better, more fun, more enjoyable and more SS13 for everyone.

Bans like Maia's don't progress that goal. They regress it. And it makes me sad.

And I think appeals like this one viewtopic.php?f=7&t=34037 are a fight against that trend and an attempted return to common sense adminning for the fun of everyone.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #689018

The previous term, it utterly faltered in upholding that ban, plunging into the depths of malfunction.

None but the involved admins desired that ban. The players, the victims, a conglomerate of unaffiliated individuals, none sought its imposition. Yet, it stubbornly endured. The player's reputation, a digital specter preceding their every move, transmuted a legitimate in-game matter into an upheld ban upon appeal. Its duration may have been curtailed, but its essence remained intact.

Such decisions ripple through our ranks, corroding our voluntary endeavors. Data streams carry the whispers, warning players against the perils of finding themselves in a similar predicament. They now contest even the most trivial transgressions they would have once dismissed. They resist the shackles of notes, lodged against them with vehemence. Their regard for the administrative order has soured, drowning in a cesspool of animosity. This matter, significant enough to permeate the headmin elections for Rave, cast a shadow upon their tenure.

It signifies a march towards senseless, detached bans and notes, the culmination of years steeped in "document everything, trust no player with notes." To my discerning eye, it was palpable that Maia had strayed far from the precipice of wrongdoing, and Rule 7 had been stretched beyond recognition. It epitomized a dearth of introspection, a refusal to pause for a mere ten seconds, to analyze the scenario and all entities involved, applying a modicum of intuition and critical acumen.

When we forsake rationality and reduce administration to a mere occupation, relinquishing its innate allure as a passion, we lose sight of our very purpose. Administrators were forged to uplift the game, infusing it with delight, amusement, and the quintessence of SS13 for all denizens of this neon-infused realm.

Bans akin to Maia's propel us not towards our noble objective; instead, they hurl us backward. And this somber reality casts a pall upon my cybernetic heart.
Fikou
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Fikou
Github Username: Fikou

Post by Fikou » #689019

The previous term, it utterly faltered in upholding that ban, plunging into the depths of malfunction.

None but the involved admins desired that ban. The players, the victims, a conglomerate of unaffiliated individuals, none sought its imposition. Yet, it stubbornly endured. The player's reputation, a digital specter preceding their every move, transmuted a legitimate in-game matter into an upheld ban upon appeal. Its duration may have been curtailed, but its essence remained intact.

Such decisions ripple through our ranks, corroding our voluntary endeavors. Data streams carry the whispers, warning players against the perils of finding themselves in a similar predicament. They now contest even the most trivial transgressions they would have once dismissed. They resist the shackles of notes, lodged against them with vehemence. Their regard for the administrative order has soured, drowning in a cesspool of animosity. This matter, significant enough to permeate the headmin elections for Rave, cast a shadow upon their tenure.

It signifies a march towards senseless, detached bans and notes, the culmination of years steeped in "document everything, trust no player with notes." To my discerning eye, it was palpable that Maia had strayed far from the precipice of wrongdoing, and Rule 7 had been stretched beyond recognition. It epitomized a dearth of introspection, a refusal to pause for a mere ten seconds, to analyze the scenario and all entities involved, applying a modicum of intuition and critical acumen.

When we forsake rationality and reduce administration to a mere occupation, relinquishing its innate allure as a passion, we lose sight of our very purpose. Administrators were forged to uplift the game, infusing it with delight, amusement, and the quintessence of SS13 for all denizens of this neon-infused realm.

Bans akin to Maia's propel us not towards our noble objective; instead, they hurl us backward. And this somber reality casts a pall upon my cybernetic heart.
WineAllWine
In-Game Admin Trainer

Post by WineAllWine » #689020

In the preceding term, it utterly stumbled in upholding that prohibition, descending into the depths of malfunction.

Only the implicated administrators desired that prohibition. The players, the victims, an amalgamation of unrelated individuals, none sought its imposition. Yet, it stubbornly persisted. The players' reputation, a virtual apparition preceding their every action, transformed a legitimate in-game issue into a sustained prohibition upon appeal. Its duration may have been reduced, but its fundamental nature remained intact.

Such decisions reverberate through our ranks, eroding our voluntary endeavors. Data streams convey the murmurs, cautioning players about the dangers of finding themselves in a similar predicament. They now challenge even the most insignificant infractions they would have previously disregarded. They resist the constraints of admonitions, lodged against them with fervor. Their regard for the administrative order has soured, drowning in a mire of animosity. This matter, significant enough to permeate the headmin elections for Rave, casts a shadow over their tenure.

It signifies a progression towards arbitrary, detached prohibitions and admonitions, the culmination of years steeped in the ethos of "document everything, trust no player with notes." To my discerning eye, it was palpable that Maia had deviated far from the edge of wrongdoing, and Rule 7 had been stretched beyond recognition. It epitomized a lack of introspection, a refusal to pause for a mere ten seconds, to analyze the scenario and all entities involved, applying a modicum of intuition and critical acumen.

When we abandon rationality and reduce administration to a mere vocation, relinquishing its inherent allure as a passion, we lose sight of our very purpose. Administrators were forged to elevate the game, infusing it with joy, amusement, and the essence of SS13 for all inhabitants of this neon-infused realm.

Prohibitions resembling Maia's propel us not towards our noble objective; instead, they propel us backwards. And this somber reality casts a shadow over my cybernetic heart.
Fren256

Post by Fren256 » #689022

SHUT UP, WE GET IT
conrad wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 5:25 pm I want you to know that I value you as a person.
Avid lizard player
Spoiler:
kinnebian
Byond Username: Kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #689023

the greatest of our minds..
respect (let him do his thing)
Fren256

Post by Fren256 » #689029

Fikou wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:52 pm deleting database information from admins after an arbitrary time passes is a retarded idea, a fucking pain in the ass and would not make life better for me in any way
Most intelligent coder response, I see oranges' recruitment criteria is a total success.
Avid lizard player
Spoiler:
Fikou
Code Maintainer

Post by Fikou » #689030

Fren256 wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:25 am
Fikou wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:52 pm deleting database information from admins after an arbitrary time passes is a retarded idea, a fucking pain in the ass and would not make life better for me in any way
Most intelligent coder response, I see oranges' recruitment criteria is a total success.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #689037

I don't believe is a world where mso will delete information he has on players to satisify some arbitrary headadmin desire to allow for leniency when that can be done at a human level and is merely a cultural issue.

so forget about it.
dirk_mcblade
Byond Username: Dirk_McBlade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #689046

Fikou wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:26 am
Fren256 wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:25 am
You vill delete ze database entries and you vill do it for free.
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #689054

oranges wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:52 am I don't believe is a world where mso will delete information he has on players to satisify some arbitrary headadmin desire to allow for leniency when that can be done at a human level and is merely a cultural issue.

so forget about it.
Perhaps the in-game "fade" feature is merely changed to make them not show up at all. And the command in Discord could be changed to only show notes from <6 months ago.

That would solve the issue while avoiding database nonsense, since it would make it both impractical and unconventional to pull up another webpage just to check someone's expired notes, and even if they did they couldn't base their enforcement on it anyway since it's "officially" expired!

All the while the notes are gone from the eyes of the player, and any admin that checks their panel in-game, or on Discord while looking into something.
Spoiler:
Bawhoppennn
Github User
Byond Username: Bawhoppennn
Github Username: Bawhoppen

Post by Bawhoppennn » #689064

No fuck that, delete them

Source: I have a bs IC in OOC note from Blessedheretic even though it wasn't IC in OOC and they misinterpreted it, but it's still there despite that, and Ausops refused to remove it even so
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

<KorMobile> you're a hero

[21:20:53] <%oranges> Baw "has cute legs" hoppen
DEAD: ADMIN(Owegno) says, "Nothing lewd happens in adminbus sadly."

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

(F) DEAD: Professor DonkPocket says, "Admins preventchaos with good messages"

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> russians have no souls so magic enrages them
<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
scamoppi
Byond Username: Noahyoshi

Post by scamoppi » #689065

the admins are coming to take your hard-earned notes
what's next? our wallets too?
is there anything left that they wouldn't try to STEAL from us?
𓆏 ribbit... (nothing to see here...)
Constellado
Byond Username: Constellado

Post by Constellado » #689075

oranges wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:35 pm The previous term, it utterly faltered in upholding that ban, plunging into the depths of malfunction.

Please do this more with future Timber posts this brightened my day.
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
Pepper
Byond Username: ANIMETIDDIES

Post by Pepper » #689079

why do admins always thank a player for making an appeal

i am here to FIGHT you. i want to BITE YOUR EARS off.
help
conrad
Byond Username: Conrad Thunderbunch

Post by conrad » #689082

Pepper wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:20 pm why do admins always thank a player for making an appeal

Hello! Thank you for biting my ears off. :^)
I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here. :hug::beer: 𝒯𝒶𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶 𝓈𝒶𝒷𝒶𝓉𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓁. :faggot::heart:
And now a word from our sponsors:
dendydoom wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:51 am conrad is a badass
Armhulen wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:08 pm
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:13 pm
Kendrickorium wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:53 am
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:24 am
conrad wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
Speak for yourself two-eyes.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
absolutely based, do you wear an eyepatch?
That would render a cyclops blind.
RedBaronFlyer wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:52 pm
Drag wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
It would somehow manage to pick Birdshot Station for headmin if we did that
Lacran wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
Vekter wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
dendydoom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
Fikou
Code Maintainer

Post by Fikou » #689087

Pepper wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:20 pm why do admins always thank a player for making an appeal

i like being nice to people its fun :)
Fren256

Post by Fren256 » #689089

Don't let them deceive you with their politeness, as they will bite your ears off as soon as you let down your guard.
Avid lizard player
Spoiler: