Remove rule 8

Post by oranges » #595498

poorly written and encourages admin overreach

refocus it to explicitly be banning ERP between players
Capsandi
Byond Username: Capsandi

Re: Remove rule 8

Post by Capsandi » #595503

Agreed, Rule 8 is a terrible middle ground which only serves to tempt ban-happy admins to pass out flimsy bans. Either ban all RP or allow all RP. This gray area of ERP-RP will get many innocent Manuelites removed from TG. I have a theory that this rule was only made to quell Manuel's vibrant and diverse culture. Once I was validhunting cultists in dorms, and an admin had a GALL to bwoink me because I took a short detour to spew a few paragraphs at a catgirl in dorms 4. I have appealed the note 7 times and each time I get an answer summing up to "Sorry sicko, rule 8 and all!". Well guess what? Rule 8 is poorly worded, and a RP words ban would do a better job than a ban on this so called 'ERP'
Timonk wrote:
Wesoda25 wrote:Genuinely think they should be blacklisted.
You have clearly never seen his dick
Lower your tone with me if your tracked play time doesn't look like this:
Flatulent wrote:of course you can change religion doing it while islamic however makes you lose your head from happiness
ArcaneDefence
Byond Username: ArcaneDefence

Post by ArcaneDefence » #595504

Just for the sake of having it here-
Erotic/creepy stuff is not allowed.
No form of erotic roleplay is allowed on the servers, including things that could be construed as sexual by unwilling participants.
I'm of the opinion that creepy could be dropped from this altogether and have no impact on how effectively the rule communicates what type of behavior isn't acceptable.
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #595506

ArcaneDefence wrote:Just for the sake of having it here-
Erotic/creepy stuff is not allowed.
No form of erotic roleplay is allowed on the servers, including things that could be construed as sexual by unwilling participants.
I'm of the opinion that creepy could be dropped from this altogether and have no impact on how effectively the rule communicates what type of behavior isn't acceptable.
Someone watching you from maint could be considered creepy. Like why's that guy there, what's he doing, I'm feeling creeped out.

The word creepy doesn't really carry much weight, its a feeling of unpleasantness and unease, in a game where those things just exist.

Erotic covers all the bases on its own without creepy being attached, right? Maybe the intended term is perversion or something.
Hugs
MortoSasye
Byond Username: MortoSasye

Post by MortoSasye » #595508

I assume creepy is someone like, asking for your underwear or something

Still sexual covers it, so I think we're safe dropping that word alone
Bella Rouge; no, it's not Rogue
NSFW:
Sylphet
Byond Username: Sylphet

Post by Sylphet » #595510

Yeah sure honestly. If someone's doing something truly bad like kidnapping and trying to do sexual things to people in maint then we can still bonk them for it. TG is not an attractive server for ERP and I doubt that relaxing this rule will cause much trouble. Removing it entirely might cause problems, but we'll see.
Tell me how much you think that I should be thrown out of the nearest airlock !
https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 37&t=27175
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #595527

Sounds better tbh, ban wise it would mostly stay the same but would disallow more edge cases from happening. Creepy should be taken in a sexual manner I think, which the current rules implies but doesn’t explicitly state, so wouldn’t hurt from it being reworded.
[this space reserved]
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #595575

I've run into some shit has creeped me the fuck out that isn't necessarily explicitly ERP but was downright fucking disturbing and not too far off from being sexual, which is the stuff rule 8 definitely keeps away from the server. We had a rule 8 ban very recently that covers this somewhat as an example.

I think rule 8 covers enough gray area to let an admin be able to make sound judgements on what falls under it, and it is explicit enough that ERP isn't allowed. It's removal will probably invite more trouble than what it prevents.
SardarKreuz
Byond Username: SP_TA_009

Post by SardarKreuz » #595613

oranges wrote:poorly written and encourages admin overreach
refocus it to explicitly be banning ERP between players
Yeah, this rule seems "too loose".

A player "MEing" something about the character farting on someone else's face, peeing over, shitting, etc... would be totally eschatological, may cause grief and isn't sexual/eroticism. (And if it's creepy is open to interpretation. Is it "creepy"? Most woudln't necessarily think it is.)

Another "MEing" that their character look possessed or speaking an absurdity like that "they are Cthulhu's acolyte, they do eat brains every day and that they do must murder the entire crew" would be totally creepy by the very definition of the word.
But would it fall under this rule?

Then someone else is "MEing" their character is kissing someone else, or they do speak about being in love, ...
Or let's say we have two players with characters who are going for the chaplain to marry them.
Is this sort of thing to fall under this rule?

Interpretations are problematic.
.-..-. -.-. .... --- --- ... . / .- / .--- --- -... / -.-- --- ..- / .-.. --- ...- . --..-- / .- -. -.. / -.-- --- ..- / .-- .. .-.. .-.. / -. . ...- . .-. / .... .- ...- . / - --- / .-- --- .-. -.- / .- / -.. .- -.-- / .. -. / -.-- --- ..- .-. / .-.. .. ..-. . --..-- .-..-. / -.-. --- -. ..-. ..- -.-. .. ..- ... / --- -. -.-. . / ... .- .. -.. .-.-.-
UHJvZml0ISEhIF4sXg0KDQpCYXNlNjQgaXMgbG92ZWx5Lg0KRm9yIHJlYWRpbmcgdGhpcyB0ZXh0LCBjb25zaWRlciB5b3Vyc2VsZiB0cnVseSBCQVNFRC4NCg0KIkFMTCBZT1VSIEJBU0UgQVJFIEJFTE9ORyBUTyBVUy4iDQogICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgIC0gQ2F0cywgWmVybyBXaW5nDQo=
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #595665

this is a joke thread about rule 11 for people who havent noticed
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Intercept0r
Byond Username: Intercept0r

Post by Intercept0r » #595685

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:this is a joke thread about rule 11 for people who havent noticed
*me shamefully taps backspace as entire chapters disappear under the cursor
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #595733

it's not a joke, kind of embarrassing you would think that.
Booktower
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Booktower

Post by Booktower » #595772

Keep it as is. NecromancerAnne summed it up pretty well. I haven't seen any overreaching cases, could you post examples of cases where you believe admins where overreaching?
Arcanemusic
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ArcaneMusic

Post by Arcanemusic » #596442

I've had exactly one time I've had to use and justify the use of rule 8, and in doing so I felt like the wording to rule 8 was beneficial.

Specifically, a player was harassing another player who ahelped over the situation, stalking them with a camera as a non-antag with a camera console. One time a person walked past them and they PDA'd the harassed player saying that "I had that guy steal some of your hair". Claiming that they're going to watch them sleep and take blood samples from them, really gross personal conduct.

Explicitly blocking Sexual content is the intent of the goal, and I think we can all agree we don't want the server to be a gross sex pit. However, also blocking what I could best describe as "Creepy Fetish Shit" is also a useful extension of this rule. It might just work as an anti-harassment measure when someone's intentionally acting like a pest, but making that clearer in the rules as written is a fair objective.
I Broke: Economy, Hydroponics, Trading Cards, Mice, Civilian Bounties, the BEPIS, Techwebs, Newscasters, and MORE EVERY DAY
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #596445

That falls under rule 1
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #596446

If every rule 8 discussion thread is taken as a joke there can be no meaningful discussion on rule 8 so from here on out regardless of whether you think it's a real discussion or not let's treat it like one for the sake of discussing policy
Capsandi
Byond Username: Capsandi

Post by Capsandi » #596459

This was a joke thread?
Timonk wrote:
Wesoda25 wrote:Genuinely think they should be blacklisted.
You have clearly never seen his dick
Lower your tone with me if your tracked play time doesn't look like this:
Flatulent wrote:of course you can change religion doing it while islamic however makes you lose your head from happiness
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #604575

If we remove that, we need to re-write the rule in a way that more reflects what we consider to be creepy. Just removing the creepy part really neuters our ability to handle weirdos that toe the line.

Changing it would be a concern if we'd ever seen it misused or any cases of overreaching. Nobody seems to be able to provide examples.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #604584

It seems like what no creepy stuff is supposed to mean is "don't make it weird, don't be creepy, don't toe the line with sexual shit, understand the difference between jokes like the AI spamming 'moth feet' on vox and being a creepy motherfucker by going to all the moths in your department with a camera and asking for feet pics from them, etc."

And it seems like it's pretty reliably enforced as such and hasn't caused any real problems?
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Rohen_Tahir
Byond Username: Rohen Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #604591

Vekter wrote:If we remove that, we need to re-write the rule in a way that more reflects what we consider to be creepy. Just removing the creepy part really neuters our ability to handle weirdos that toe the line.
Rule 7 exists.