Enforce name policy or abolish it.

Casings
Byond Username: Watchulookinat

Enforce name policy or abolish it.

Post by Casings » #655051

The naming policy in my opinion, makes zero sense. It disallows "silly names" and as such, names like "Average Joe" have been bwoinked/noted, and forced to change, along with some of my own previous characters, "Fat Joe" "Larry Queefmeister", which are understandably "silly names." However, we had been playing as these characters for months with no input from any admins, and others with very similar names in the past/present, receiving no such warning/note. I recently inquired whether the name "Heisen Berg" would be okay, because after receiving 2 notes for name violations, I was warned by Vekter if I had violated the name policy again, I would be permanently name banned and forced to randomize name every shift, even though he had acknowledged that this ruling was completely per-admin and circumstantial, and even though the names had been allowed for months, admins are now "cracking down on naming policy." I was told the name "Heisen Berg" was too silly, meanwhile in this very shift there are several people with names such as "Vents-Hot-Air, Hunts-The-Valid, Northern Lights, Toxoproctis, Principium Vitae, Feasel Easel, Homes Mothington, Delta Wolfe, Hugh Mann, Brick Mortar, Chip Dipson." and this was one shift alone, with a server population of 40. None of these names were deemed "too silly" even though they are literally made up renditions of normal words, with no naming basis whatsoever. Werner Heisenberg created the theory of quantum mechanics, but his name is too silly, meanwhile "Feasel Easel" and "Hugh Mann" seem totally appropriate? I don't want to have to tiptoe around a naming policy that has no common ground, or actual basis, and is literally just dependent on whether an admin that day feels its "silly"
I understand this is not a place for ban appeals, and I am not trying to appeal my notes/bans, I just don't understand how I've received 2 notes and a warning that I'll be perma namebanned, but these players go every shift with made up names, and nothing happens? So I just don't understand why some players are being called out, but others are allowed to keep their namesakes, and I'd also like to understand why "Heisen Berg" is too silly of a name (and I understand the breaking bad reference, but again, the name is a lot older and not nearly as silly as 90% of the names currently playing")
So if there is a naming policy, at least have it clearly spelled out rather than be how each individual admin is feeling that certain day?
san7890
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: San7890
Github Username: san7890

Re: Enforce name policy or abolish it.

Post by san7890 » #655052

There's already an active discussion surrounding this topic here: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=32558
Simultaneously making both the best and worst jokes on the internet. I like looking at maps and code. Learn how to map today!. You may rate me here.
Imitates-The-Lizards
Byond Username: Typhnox

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #655063

If I were an admin, I would've bwoinked your "Queefmeister" name under rule 8, not naming policy.

Also, "Vents-Hot-Air" and (presumably) "Hunts-The-Valid" are lizards, who have "Does-The-Thing" as naming policy, so both of those names are completely valid.

Also not sure why you're bringing up moth names. They basically don't have any name policy.
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #655064

Imitates-The-Lizards wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 4:56 amAlso, "Vents-Hot-Air" and (presumably) "Hunts-The-Valid" are lizards, who have "Does-The-Thing" as naming policy, so both of those names are completely valid.
"Hunts-the-Valid" is blatantly OOC in IC.
► Show Spoiler
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #655066

Are you really here to defend Larry Queefmeister, my dude
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #670451

The definitive naming policy change discussion thread is viewtopic.php?f=33&t=33089

Go post there instead, please.

I can't promise this term will implement any changes, but I am personally looking into it over the next 6 months to see what can be accomplished from Spookuni's plans, goals and redraft.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin