Subject regal rats to the ghost role flavor text policy

Scriptis
Byond Username: Scriptis

Subject regal rats to the ghost role flavor text policy

Post by Scriptis » #655831

> You are an independent, invasive force on the station! Horde coins, trash, cheese, and the like from the safety of darkness!
> Smashes the supermatter APC
> Dies

Currently, we treat the Regal Rat like it's just a regular antagonist instead of a ghost spawner role--but let's face it, it is just a ghost spawner role, and it should be treated as such. You click the funny rat as an observer and you take the role. You even get flavortext!

If you take the role just to murderbone or rush down the engine, gravgen, and silo, you should be subject to administrative scrutiny, as with other ghost roles. Follow your flavortext.
Spoiler:

Imitates-The-Lizards
Byond Username: Typhnox

Re: Subject regal rats to the ghost role flavor text policy

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #655833

The problem I have here is the lack of consistency with flavor text. Why should this be considered rp enforced and actionable, while traitor flavor text is flat out ignored? When was the last time you saw someone besides me ACTUALLY be an ARC terrorist and save all the stations animals, for example?

But then you turn around and heretic flavor text... Is enforced! Don't tell anyone Jimbo the janitor is a heretic or you get bwoinked!

Oh, but then you look at regal rat and it's not enforced.

Consistency, please!
Indie-ana Jones
Byond Username: Indie-ana Jones

Post by Indie-ana Jones » #655834

I've always seen the Regal Rat as an informal early midround antagonist really, it's not very strong but it gives the crew something to hunt down during the early part of the round when things are relatively quiet. I think it deserves antagonist's rights as opposed to ghost spawner role, seeing it's more like a pyro anomaly slime than a podperson or similar. I wouldn't mind formalizing its spawn method to be like other midrounds if that would work better, though I kind of like that the ghost who searches for it gets to have it.
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #672540

After talking with the maintainers, there's a definite vibe that the Regal Ratte was not envisioned to be doing low-effort massive-impact sabotage like rushing down the grav gen APC, SM engine APC, ore silo, etc. We also don't think enforcement should go as far as their core flavour text and they should still antagonise and kill people in the spirit of being an actual antagonistic threat.

We can't replace their hard coded flavour text, and can only put any policy information we wanted to communicate behind a verb the player has specifically hunt down. Properly communicating policy in-game will require some form of code change or update to the Regal Ratte.

Even without this change being implemented, we're happy for admins to make sure Regal Rattes are playing within the scope of their lesser antag status.

Cat in a Hat: "Works for me"
Fiesty Ferret: "Fine with me"
Pissing Ocelot: "Written by me"
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin