Reduce Terry's population limit to 70.

Turbonerd
Byond Username: AccountName5

Reduce Terry's population limit to 70.

Post by Turbonerd » #660361

Terry struggles with 80-90 pop rounds. Most subsystems are slowed significantly, and it becomes extremely obvious. I don't think there's a point in letting Terry reach 90 pop when we have Campbell.
SkeletalElite
Byond Username: SkeletalElite
Github Username: SkeletalElite

Re: Reduce Terry's population limit to 70.

Post by SkeletalElite » #660363

Isn't it soft capped at 70? Like once you hit 70 it only lets byond members and admins join?
Turbonerd

Post by Turbonerd » #660369

SkeletalElite wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 1:50 am Isn't it soft capped at 70? Like once you hit 70 it only lets byond members and admins join?
Nope. That's just when it recommends people to connect to a different server.
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #661833

I like this idea except for Sybil too… Seems like it would help seed Bagil and Campbell while also improving the pretty consistent 30+% TD these servers get in the super highpop ranges.

((((Atmos becomes essentially unplayable above 30%+ TD)))
Spoiler:
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Post by TheFinalPotato » #661843

90 pop should be supported, tho td off it is sort of inevitable until we get threaded maptick
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?
TheLoLSwat
Byond Username: TheLoLSwat

Post by TheLoLSwat » #661893

yea for sybil too please
LoveMirror
Byond Username: LoveMirror

Post by LoveMirror » #663145

Reduce Terry's population limit to 1 so I can learn atmos in peace.
Seriously though, if maxpop is reached easily, there should be a second LRP EU server added.
Image Image
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #663182

perf shouldn't really be a reason for lowering pop, it should be a reason for charging forwards efforts to make the game more performant. we need to support even higher player counts for things like events, and we need incentive to do it. i'd be much more interested if you had gameplay reasons behind your thoughts.
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
LoveMirror
Byond Username: LoveMirror

Post by LoveMirror » #663254

Mothblocks wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:47 am perf shouldn't really be a reason for lowering pop, it should be a reason for charging forwards efforts to make the game more performant. we need to support even higher player counts for things like events, and we need incentive to do it. i'd be much more interested if you had gameplay reasons behind your thoughts.
The only one past performance I can think of, is that the common channel becomes unreadable in high-pop.
Other than that, high-pop > low-pop purely because there's always something going on and you WILL get paramedics rescuing you if you self-robust yourself.

The server olympics event was perfectly playable performance-wise, too, and we had over 100 people on it, but that was a few years ago and I'm not sure if bloat accumulated.
Game runs better than ever. Reminder to all to clear your BYOND cache every now and then.
Image Image
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #663318

tbf i completely believe that we'd have perf problems at such high pop, i simply think it's a bad reason to reduce pop
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
Turbonerd

Post by Turbonerd » #663323

Mothblocks wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:47 am perf shouldn't really be a reason for lowering pop, it should be a reason for charging forwards efforts to make the game more performant. we need to support even higher player counts for things like events, and we need incentive to do it. i'd be much more interested if you had gameplay reasons behind your thoughts.
Thinking about it, I agree with you and no longer support my own policy thread, and don't have anything to add. This can be closed if no one has anything else to say.
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #663335

At around 30%+ TD, atmos becomes essentially unplayable. A burn can for instance (one of the essential things atmos uses to generate heat for gasses), reaches 94,000K in around 5-10 min with normal dilation. But at 30%+, it will take more like 45 min before it reaches its peak heat.

Other basic atmos things like tritium generation, BZ generation, pretty much anything that involves mixing gasses to create other gasses, or even using thermomachines to cool and heat large quantities of gasses, slows to a halt. It essentially isn’t worth playing above 30% TD. This is just a small department though and to be fair only a small handful of players are going to care about it, so it’s not a great argument for lowering the popcap, but it is a shame atmos can’t be played on highpop.
Spoiler:
san7890
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: San7890
Github Username: san7890

Post by san7890 » #664059

I am personally uninterested in reducing player population on any server, and Rave/Spookuni concur with me (as far as LRP servers are concerned). Turbonerd above already said that they weren't interested in this policy thread continuing, but I just don't like artificially crippling servers that have massive fluctuations in population. We don't regularly max out at 90 pop, we tend to get somewhere from 80-85 (anecdotally), and I just don't like the thought of chopping out those 15 players. I approach stuff like this as if I were on the outside looking in, and I think a server that operates at 90 population should remain that way (with the technical challenge being... a good challenge). Would suck if I was locked out of my favorite server just because they deflated the cap and I had to adjust my schedule to cram a shift in, rather than the server service me.
Simultaneously making both the best and worst jokes on the internet. I like looking at maps and code. Learn how to map today!. You may rate me here.