Add "Y" and "N" to the soft filter.

Turbonerd
Byond Username: AccountName5

Add "Y" and "N" to the soft filter.

Post by Turbonerd » #660991

I have seen an excessive amount of NRP shuttle votes where they ask people to say "Y or N" as an answer, and quite a lot of people mindlessly say "Y" or "N". It's just so frequent and the volume of infractions that occur is just too much to include in an ahelp. I think adding these to the word filter will make those events more manageable, as well as reminding people that they are failing the bare minimum of RP.
serxule
Byond Username: Serxule

Re: Add "Y" and "N" to the soft filter.

Post by serxule » #660992

this would cause so many problems with things like stammering, mispelling things, accidental letters, this is just a stupid idea (because these arent netspeak, these are LETTERS of the ALPHABET)
Imitates-The-Lizards
Byond Username: Typhnox

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #660995

"Add actual letters of the alphabet to the filter"

....No.
Rohen_Tahir
Byond Username: Rohen Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #661012

"Y" typed alone should turn into "Why" because it'd be funny.
NamelessFairy
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: NamelessFairy

Post by NamelessFairy » #661044

To be fair, shuttle votes as a concept are NRP 9 times out of 10 regardless of what you have to say to vote. Anyways, adding individual letters to the filter is dumb.
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #661053

filter is regex, so we could filter out all single letter messages except 'i'. add it as a soft (are you sure you want to do this) filter as well.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
NSFW:
serxule
Byond Username: Serxule

Post by serxule » #661054

MrStonedOne wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:51 am filter is regex, so we could filter out all single letter messages except 'i'. add it as a soft (are you sure you want to do this) filter as well.
MSO confirmed doesnt know that A counts as a word and is used in almost every single sentence
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #661065

If it's not excessively taxing it might be kind of nice, but "O" would probably want to get a pass, L and W are questionable, fit to a T, a real G, watching some H online, pressing F to pay respects, etc.

The more I think about it the more single letter filtering seems more trouble than it's worth, before we even get into people accidentally putting a space in the wrong place.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
BlueMemesauce
Byond Username: BlueMemesauce

Post by BlueMemesauce » #661102

People can say Y and N in real life. In real radio communication, it's actually pretty realistic for common phrases to be shortened like that. I think it's fine.
Shellton(Mario)
Byond Username: Sheltton

Post by Shellton(Mario) » #661153

Who cares?
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #661154

I think that standard would be far too high to the levels of High RP.
► Show Spoiler
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #661155

BlueMemesauce wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 5:20 pm People can say Y and N in real life. In real radio communication, it's actually pretty realistic for common phrases to be shortened like that. I think it's fine.
In radio communication, people *lengthen* single letters (phonetic alphabet). They sure as heck don't shorten words to letters.
► Show Spoiler
BlueMemesauce
Byond Username: BlueMemesauce

Post by BlueMemesauce » #661175

Farquaar wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:04 am
BlueMemesauce wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 5:20 pm People can say Y and N in real life. In real radio communication, it's actually pretty realistic for common phrases to be shortened like that. I think it's fine.
In radio communication, people *lengthen* single letters (phonetic alphabet). They sure as heck don't shorten words to letters.
Phonetic letters were just created because radio can have interference and other issues where a short message can get lost. The radios developed 500 years in the future no longer have those issues, and it is likely that there would no longer be a reason for the phonetic alphabet.

I was thinking of the word "Received" which was shortened down to just "R", which on the telegram was just a single letter made up of a couple dots and a dash in morse code. It is true that when radios with voice came into use they had some disadvantages so the phonetic alphabet was created to pronouce R as "Roger".

After about 50 years of development, radios have already improved alot. It's common to hear people just say "Rog" instead of Roger. I don't think it's too much of a stretch to assume after all those improvements to the radio that people 500 years in the future won't use the phonetic alphabet anymore as there no longer is a need to. We can see in game that there's no interference and an infinite amount of messages can be heard at the same time, which negates the two main reasons the phonetic alphabet was created in the first place.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #661177

This is dumb and means you can never spell out words again.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Turbonerd
Byond Username: AccountName5

Post by Turbonerd » #661200

CPTANT wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:27 pm This is dumb and means you can never spell out words again.
The soft filter gives a confirmation box. It just discourages people from devolving too low into NRP.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #661211

MrStonedOne wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:51 am filter is regex, so we could filter out all single letter messages except 'i'. add it as a soft (are you sure you want to do this) filter as well.
You would think but the config is ecaped before turned into regex so you cant' actually insert regex into it
spookuni
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Spookuni

Post by spookuni » #662182

Given that there are a multitude of legitimate usages for single letter responses in normal conversation, we're hesitant to start adding things to the word filter before seeing if ruling fully on their status as OOC in IC / netspeak has an effect - so for the moment we'll be declining to add Y and N to the word filter, but will be ruling that single letter responses (as shortenings for words) to questions constitute netspeak, and encouraging admins to ask players to use their words a bit more (ye and no are both single extra letters on Y and N, it ain't hard)

Spook - Agree with above
Rave - Agree with above
San - Agree with above