(MRP) Random implant checking

DaydreamIQ
Byond Username: DaydreamIQ

(MRP) Random implant checking

Post by DaydreamIQ » #661479

So it was recently brought up to me that despite people saying that it was against the rules. Randomly checking traitors for implants with no evidence of their existence is apparently not covered at all in policy (Maybe RP Rule 8? Hence why the MRP tag here). Personally I'm under the impression that its always been against the rules considering you're not allowed to use the MMI method on lings at all. And without evidence beforehand it really can seem like power gaming, some clarification would at least clear up any confusion on whether it is or isn't a rule breaking offense.
zxaber
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Zxaber

Re: (MRP) Random implant checking

Post by zxaber » #661482

Rule 4 wrote:Except metagaming/comms, bug/exploit abuse, erotic/creepy stuff, OOC in IC or IC in OOC, and spawn-camping arrivals. Team antagonists can do whatever they want as per lone antagonists, as long as it doesn’t harm their team. Non-antagonists can do whatever they want to antagonists as per lone antagonists, but non-antagonists are not allowed to pre-emptively search for, hinder or otherwise seek conflict with antagonists without reasonable prior cause. Non-antags acting like an antag can be treated as an antag.
Applies to all servers, not just MRP.
Douglas Bickerson / Adaptive Manipulator / Digital Clockwork
OrdoM/(Viktor Bergmannsen) (ghost) "Also Douglas, you're becoming the Lexia Black of Robotics"
Rustybuckets6601
Byond Username: Rustybuckets6601

Post by Rustybuckets6601 » #661486

I'm all for it actually being against the rules since you brought up the ling mmi thing (which i never considered). I also always considered random implant checking to be lame as fuck regardless of rules, even if I'm non antag with no implant it's still a straight up bruh moment, and even still if I'm a sec officer and another officer does a random implant check.
DaydreamIQ

Post by DaydreamIQ » #661489

zxaber wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:24 am
Rule 4 wrote:Except metagaming/comms, bug/exploit abuse, erotic/creepy stuff, OOC in IC or IC in OOC, and spawn-camping arrivals. Team antagonists can do whatever they want as per lone antagonists, as long as it doesn’t harm their team. Non-antagonists can do whatever they want to antagonists as per lone antagonists, but non-antagonists are not allowed to pre-emptively search for, hinder or otherwise seek conflict with antagonists without reasonable prior cause. Non-antags acting like an antag can be treated as an antag.
In this situation I'm referring to say security has their hands on a traitor. But don't have reasonable proof to either confirm they're a tot, or do a bag search. Find contraband and without any evidence of there being an implant going "Alright implant check them".
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #661491

DaydreamIQ wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:31 am
In this situation I'm referring to say security has their hands on a traitor. But don't have reasonable proof to either confirm they're a tot, or do a bag search. Find contraband and without any evidence of there being an implant going "Alright implant check them".
If they don't have some way to prove that someone is an antag or someone eye witness reported it (etc.) why would they search for implants? Someone doesn't exactly have to use the implant to get searched and have people know implants could exist, but searching for them just because you can as a way to check off the 'is this dude valid' checkboxes is definitely something thats been discussed before.

Doesn't matter if the person has an implant or not going on a stretch like that is dangerous and people have eaten the dirt for doing this sort of thing in the past. Killing someone inappropriately without knowing they were an antag doesn't automatically make it okay just because they were one.

It immediately makes me thing of threads like this one about checking dorms for antags: viewtopic.php?p=587054#p587054

I know it isn't 100% the same situation, but the same spirit of the game applies.

Moving onto something that is on topic however...

Here is the previous thread that discussed this exact topic for Manuel: viewtopic.php?f=85&t=27774&p=580690&hil ... ck#p580690
If you're going to implant check you should have a justifiable reason to suspect they are a traitor. Break ins, stealing someone's ID, stealing a laser, are actions which are not tied down specifically to traitors and aren't sever enough to justisfy an implant check.
Murder, multiple instances where someone is brought in for theft of weaponry, or being in possession of syndicate equipment are sufficient for an implant check.

Headmin Votes:
Coconutwarrior97: Yes.
Domitius: Yes.
Naloac: Yes.

It is very much against the rules, feel free to ahelp it whenever you see it so this behavior can be weeded out.
Hugs
DaydreamIQ

Post by DaydreamIQ » #661493

Misdoubtful wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:47 am
DaydreamIQ wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:31 am
If they don't have some way to prove that someone is an antag or someone eye witness reported it (etc.) why would they search for implants? Someone doesn't exactly have to use the implant to get searched and have people know implants could exist, but searching for them just because you can as a way to check off the 'is this dude valid' checkboxes is definitely something thats been discussed before.

Doesn't matter if the person has an implant or not going on a stretch like that is dangerous and people have eaten the dirt for doing this sort of thing in the past. Killing someone inappropriately without knowing they were an antag doesn't automatically make it okay just because they were one.

It immediately makes me thing of threads like this one about checking dorms for antags: viewtopic.php?p=587054#p587054

I know it isn't 100% the same situation, but the same spirit of the game applies.

Moving onto something that is on topic however...

Here is the previous thread that discussed this exact topic for Manuel: viewtopic.php?f=85&t=27774&p=580690&hil ... ck#p580690
If you're going to implant check you should have a justifiable reason to suspect they are a traitor. Break ins, stealing someone's ID, stealing a laser, are actions which are not tied down specifically to traitors and aren't sever enough to justisfy an implant check.
Murder, multiple instances where someone is brought in for theft of weaponry, or being in possession of syndicate equipment are sufficient for an implant check.

Headmin Votes:
Coconutwarrior97: Yes.
Domitius: Yes.
Naloac: Yes.

It is very much against the rules, feel free to ahelp it whenever you see it so this behavior can be weeded out.
That's actually a really handy find, thanks! For some reason that particular thread isn't linked to on the headmin rulings (Though not everything is listed on there so Wiki can be a bit unhelpful as usual)
SkeletalElite
Byond Username: SkeletalElite
Github Username: SkeletalElite

Post by SkeletalElite » #661530

Implant checking is basically useless on LRP anyway. The only thing that justifies it are actions that are acting like an antag, in which case, you're free to just kill them anyway.
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Post by RaveRadbury » #661575

This was already handled in a previous policy thread. The ruling from that thread will be added to the wiki.

viewtopic.php?p=580690#p580690