THE better naming policy

serxule
Byond Username: Serxule

THE better naming policy

Post by serxule » #662189

this is just an idea but its arguably better in every way than whatever HRP shit is going on with the other naming policy draft (perhaps stolen from bee's naming policy but reworked for TG and not be aids)

Human: Normal human names, the kind that won’t raise an eyebrow if you chose to name your child, although references or names that mention real people are more restricted (e.g. names like "Carl Marks" are not allowed). This applies to all other races that reference human names. Human names can include prefixes/suffixes.
Ethereal: First name is any celestial body or name that sounds like one (look into Greek/Roman mythology for inspiration if nothing else), Last name is two capital letters.
Felinid: Normal human names or a pun/joke
AIs and Borgs: Mostly freeform, acronyms and numbers are allowed. Single human names are allowed for borgs or AI (e.g. AI named "John v2").
Lizard: Hyphenated names describing some action, or two part hyphenated names following Ashwalker naming conventions.
Moth: Latin (or psuedo-latin) species name OR an object, thing, concept, event OR vaguely human sounding name using some form of pun (e.g. Motthew, Lampton). Names like "Moth" or "Lamp" are permitted under admin discretion if a gimmick is being done.
Plasmaman: First name is or sounds like a periodic table element, last name is Roman Numerals

Other information:
Clowns, Mimes and nameable antags: May completely ignore the guidelines outlined above, but are still up to admin discretion on whether a name is inappropriate in general.
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Re: THE better naming policy

Post by iamgoofball » #662198

this is dumb
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #662221

I am strictly uninterested in any naming policy that forces a race to use a specific template without exception, and any system where all it takes is a single administrator disliking your name to get you appearance banned.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
TheLoLSwat
Byond Username: TheLoLSwat

Post by TheLoLSwat » #662234

iamgoofball wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:24 am this is dumb
serxule

Post by serxule » #662236

datorangebottle wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:15 pm and any system where all it takes is a single administrator disliking your name to get you appearance banned.
the current naming policy and "new" naming policy have that problem, thats why people want an actual naming policy, but mine doesnt have that problem
Capsandi
Byond Username: Capsandi

Post by Capsandi » #662240

lol imagine needing to care about naming policy just play a human with a boring ass name
Timonk wrote:
Wesoda25 wrote:Genuinely think they should be blacklisted.
You have clearly never seen his dick
Lower your tone with me if your tracked play time doesn't look like this:
Flatulent wrote:of course you can change religion doing it while islamic however makes you lose your head from happiness
datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #662241

serxule wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:57 pm
datorangebottle wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:15 pm and any system where all it takes is a single administrator disliking your name to get you appearance banned.
the current naming policy and "new" naming policy have that problem, thats why people want an actual naming policy, but mine doesnt have that problem
It still has hard rules for what each species can be named instead of guidelines, so your policy still has that problem.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
serxule

Post by serxule » #662243

datorangebottle wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:45 pm
It still has hard rules for what each species can be named instead of guidelines, so your policy still has that problem.
but thats not a "if an admin dislikes your name" thing, thats a "follow the rules" thing
datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #662244

serxule wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:47 pm
datorangebottle wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:45 pm
but thats not a "if an admin dislikes your name" thing, thats a "follow the rules" thing
Admins often disagree on what and how the rules are enforced. One admin sees a name as fine and not breaking the rules, another admin goes "this name is fucking stupid fuck this guy" and tells them to change their name. This is the inherent problem with having hard species naming rules and any system using hard species naming rules will run into this problem.

serxule

Post by serxule » #662256

datorangebottle wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:50 pm
Admins often disagree on what and how the rules are enforced. One admin sees a name as fine and not breaking the rules, another admin goes "this name is fucking stupid fuck this guy" and tells them to change their name. This is the inherent problem with having hard species naming rules and any system using hard species naming rules will run into this problem.
thats an external admin problem though, every rule ever has that issue
datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #662259

serxule wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:27 pm
datorangebottle wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:50 pm
thats an external admin problem though, every rule ever has that issue
That's my point. As long as the species-specific rules are rules, they are flawed. If they are treated and called as guidelines that aren't meant to be strictly followed, it becomes infinitely easier to defend names that are exceptions to the guidelines in good faith.

thgvr
Byond Username: Thgvr

Post by thgvr » #662380

iamgoofball wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:24 am this is dumb
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #662383

I didn't really post Bee's as a 'hey this is the be all end all'. Its a great starting point (Maybe one of the best starting points) but does it really meet the player/community expectations here?

I had started a naming policy draft for another server like two years ago, went and collected every single servers naming policy, saw how it looked across multiple rounds, tried to identify the best parts and worst parts of all of them considering the community I was making them for, make something great, and it still wasn't going to be right, so I ended up dropping it to come back to at another time.

That being said every server that had consistent naming set a bar for what was unacceptable and examples of such.

Consider this part of Goons:
Bigoted language (for example, slurs) is also not allowed in your ... character name ... whether as a joke, or masked with misspellings or spoonerisms. This rule also extends to cover bigotry and discrimination based around a player's in-game race, species, or gender identity.

Do not name your character after political or controversial figures. If you're unsure what might constitute as controversial: avoid naming your character after murderers, abusers, religious figures, or any name you've heard of in the news. Naming yourself Lise Meitner is fine, but naming yourself OJ Simpson is not. If an admin tells you to change your name because it's based on a political or controversial figure, it is not an invitation for debate. Change it or go elsewhere.
This blurb from Paradise:
The rules around names have changed over time. Right now the standard is that having unique names is highly encouraged. We want people to make their own characters, not just copy-paste someone from other media. However, being inspired by other media (Especially sci-fi) is quite understandable and enjoyable, but the character should be a unique personality, not just a character from another media “in space”. IRL figures (Barrack Obama, Betty White, etc) are not to be used at all.

Characters named Walter White who go around dealing meth are so overplayed that that admins are permitted to spawn in a character to shoot them to death and say “I am the danger”. Diona named Groot are overplayed and may be messed with by admins or just asked to change their name. JoJo references are a meme by themselves, and are more frowned upon as reference names for being more memey.

Do not name your character something sexually explicit.
This bit from CM:
Use a reasonable, unique, lore-friendly character name that has a first name and surname. Short reasonable nicknames are allowed inside the name (e.g. Derek 'Double-D' Donahue, Jane 'Crusher' Sanchez). Other character names should not be used, this includes ckeys. Nicknames should not be considered a meme. Nicknames should also not be slurs, 18+ content, etc... You may be a sibling or cousin of another player's character, however you cannot play another player's character unless it's part of a staff event. References can be made to characters in the Official CM-SS13 lore. Xenomorph prefixs should not be 18+ or slurs as well. Staff retain rights to make the final judgement if a name or Xenomorph prefix is acceptable or unacceptable.

Ranked, titled, honorific, offensive, famous and pop-culture names are not allowed
Roman numerals may be used, but should not be excessive.
Nicknames should not be written in all Caps Lock
Nicknames should at the maximum contain two words.

Acceptable Names
Arthur Walker
Jeremy Bennett
Becky Jones

Unacceptable Names/Prefixes
Adolf Hitler
Vladimir Putin
Donald Trump
Johnny 'Nazi' Johnson
Mike Rotch
David Weyland
Ellen Ripley
DIK
FAG
NIG
XIG
Names that are sexual puns/references of banned words/topics.

Exceptions
A name comprised of extremely common names (I.E John Williams) can be excused for being shared with someone otherwise forbidden, provided the player is not attempting to play as the linked person.

Or this piece from Yog:
General Rules
When in doubt, human naming rules can be used for any race unless otherwise stated below.

No names of famous people or things, real or fictional
Silicons, clown/mime, and wizards are exempt from this portion of the rule as long as the name is thematically appropriate
No titles or honorifics (Mr, Dr, -san, etc)
Silicons, clown/mime, and wizards are exempt from this portion of the rule as long as the name is thematically appropriate
No obscene words (including words that sound similar, even if the spelling is different)
If you are unsure or need ideas for names, the default names can be used as a reference
The max length of a name is 42 characters, however, using more than 30 characters is discouraged
Humans
Must have a first and last name
Middle initials are permitted, and middle names can be used as long as the character count is not exceeded
Must use a name that would be reasonable for a human to have in our world
Ex: Jacob Johnson, Micah J Collins
Even this from Aurora:
Characters must be named following a Firstname Lastname model (e.g. "John Smith"). No honorifics, nicknames or middle names (with exceptions for compound names such as Van/Von/Bin X). Think of your in-game name as the name printed on your work ID. Exceptions are made to alien races with alternate naming mechanics, such as the Diona or IPCs, please consult their specific wiki pages for exact details. In general, avoid reference/famous/joke names, please.
What do they all have in common?
Hugs
LoveMirror
Byond Username: LoveMirror

Post by LoveMirror » #662852

Misdoubtful wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:11 pm What do they all have in common?
All of them deny me the chance of roundremoving instantly-valid Adolf Hitlers and Joseph Stalins.
serxule wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:33 am snip
Racelocking names is stupid. If you want to be a moth called Antimony VII, it would offend nobody and cause no distress to anyone, either.
I had a moth with a lizard name once and literally no one cared - as it should be. If it's immersion breaking to some people, I suggest they purchase a VR Headset and go play Among Us or something.
Image Image
Redrover1760
Byond Username: Redrover1760

Post by Redrover1760 » #663806

This is very dumb. Naming policy should exist to get rid of names that are griefy/trolly/excessively ooc and excessively "immersion breaking" (and by immersion breaking, I mean straight up just "Santa Claus" when you aren't doing a christmas gimmick or roleplay like it). This suggestion, is in fact, also HRP bullshit. No offense, Serxule.

That should be the minimum. Add on extra rules about people having to actually be original with their character names instead of stealing their names and personality from excessively popular fiction to prevent the annoying immersion breaking from it and that's all naming policy really needs. At least in LRP.

Now, maybe as a code solution, one could also attach the id owners species to an id card if its examined by a person, and naming policy and the issues around it should pretty much be solved.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #663850

Everyone get in line and I'll give you an approved character name.
Epicgamer545
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Epicgamer545

Post by Epicgamer545 » #663862

Names should be unique, not restricted. They should be good names, yes, but should they be realistic? No! This is a setting taking place where a mega corporation has trapped you in a giant metal box lingering with threats and malpractice. Sure, you can restrict popular/overused/stupid/reference names, but you shouldn’t downplay a /real/ and creative name.

We don’t even need a set of rules, we need A POLICY. Something that isn’t ordered by importance, but a statement on what should be considered a name, and what should not be considered a name.

I want to redeem my and others personal freedom of “creating funny and absurd backstories”. It’s clear that people want realism, but, in a world where the lore is wild (corporations investing into crazy experiments, wizards uniting to murder and gib, and god striking the nearest clown into shatters of gore), it should be acceptable to go into the line of unique names. I don’t care if you want “realistic” name, just don’t force us with restrictions and start setting the guideline straight of NOT making a stupid name.

The day when “John Howard” turns into a restricted name for being a “unrealistic” name for having the word “John” in it or some other stupid reason, is the day I quit TG entirely.
Epicgamer545
J. Howard, microcelebrity & ExOS
game admin - I am still a admin, please subject me to 4 hours of tickets
► Show Spoiler
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #663864

John Spacestation
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #670455

The definitive naming policy change discussion thread is viewtopic.php?f=33&t=33089

Go post there instead, please.

I can't promise this term will implement any changes, but I am personally looking into it over the next 6 months to see what can be accomplished from Spookuni's plans, goals and redraft.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin