Suspend timed bans until the appeal is handled

CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Suspend timed bans until the appeal is handled

Post by CPTANT » #665304

Currently appealing timed bans is almost always completely useless. Someone gets a 3 day ban. Goes into appeals to show it is complete nonsense. Admins write 5 essays worth of text and after 2 weeks headmins finally reply and they go "lol yeah this shouldn't have been a ban".

Suspend the bans while the appeal is running so players aren't punished for admin tardiness. Resume the ban if it was actually legit.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
The Wrench
Byond Username: The Wrench

Re: Suspend timed bans until the appeal is handled

Post by The Wrench » #665359

This idea is stupid for a multitude of reasons, starting you are slowing down the ban appeal process significantly for no reason. Just wait the three days mate. Go outside, touch grass.
Jonathan Gupta wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:32 pm all you godamn do is whine and complain come up with ideas, stop bitching for christs sake.
Flatulent wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:02 am You and anyone who supports the rule 3 as described by mso is simply put not an lrp player

Imitates-The-Lizards
Byond Username: Typhnox

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #665372

Just on the miniscule off-chance this thread is serious, this would be a terrible idea... Guy goes on some mass RDM killing spree, ban is super obviously justified, files nonsense appeal, does it again. Wow good job, now two shifts got ruined instead of one.
TheLoLSwat
Byond Username: TheLoLSwat

Post by TheLoLSwat » #665386

its almost like you appeal short bans in order to get the note reworded / removed and the ban length being shortened (from 3 day to 1 day, etc;) is just a secondary affect if its accepted before the ban is up.

Who cares man. So what you lose out on 1 day (lol) while waiting for the headmins to go "dumb ban" and remove your 3 day ban.

We all could use breaks from this game at points anyway
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #665387

I'm not really sure what this will accomplish?

Whats the intended goal here?

How will this interaction work with those acting in bad faith?

Is something like this worthwhile for a one day ban?

What if an appeal is super deep and takes a long time to be fully processed?

Is it a bad thing to take a break from the game?

Is it a bad thing to take a break from the game even for undeserved reasons?
Last edited by Misdoubtful on Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Didn't need those parts
Hugs
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #665405

This is one of those ideas that sounds much better to an angry person in a discord call than it would be in practice.

While it's very frustrating that the headmin response to mid-length bans is excessively long (There's really no reason headmins should need several weeks or more for anything short of community-drama/blacklist-tier incidents), this proposal would essentially turn off the tgstation temporary ban system given the slow response times that are all that can currently be managed.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #665412

I feel like people aren't reading the TIMED ban part. Nobody is saying this should be the case for shitters that are permanently banned or acting in bad faith. If you think someone will do horrible shit in the couple of days this takes then they would do those horrible things after the ban.

The point is that players shouldn't be punished for tardy admins.
While it's very frustrating that the headmin response to mid-length bans is excessively long (There's really no reason headmins should need several weeks or more for anything short of community-drama/blacklist-tier incidents), this proposal would essentially turn off the tgstation temporary ban system given the slow response times that are all that can currently be managed.
No, you just reapply the ban afterward, people still get punished, everyone happy.
Adam Klein wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:38 pm This idea is stupid for a multitude of reasons, starting you are slowing down the ban appeal process significantly for no reason. Just wait the three days mate. Go outside, touch grass.
No it doesn't it only incentives being faster with the appeal.
Last edited by CPTANT on Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #665413

Misdoubtful wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:15 pm Whats the intended goal here?

1 How will this interaction work with those acting in bad faith?

2 Is something like this worthwhile for a one day ban?

3 What if an appeal is super deep and takes a long time to be fully processed?

4 What about perma bans?

5 What about ban evaders?

6 Is it a bad thing to take a break from the game?

7 Is it a bad thing to take a break from the game even for undeserved reasons?
1 People acting in bad faith don't get lousy timed bans in the first place.

2 It is especially worthy for one day bans because otherwise there is 0.0 chance of appealing wrongful bans.

3 Then the player shouldn't be punished for it and if it is declined in the end the ban is re-applied.

4 I specifically said timed bans because perma bans have enough time to be processed and the consequences of leaving people unbanned are worse.

5 Ban evaders have perma bans.

6 If it is voluntary, no. If it is because of an unjust ban yes.

7 Yes, unjust punishment is bad and gives a sour taste beyond the actual ban length.
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master

Post by Misdoubtful » #665415

I edited out the perm evade parts when I realized but was a bit too late.

I would love to have someone pull together the weekly, monthly, yearly bans as a frame of reference regarding the appeal to ban ratio.

It's something with a substantial difference that I can't quite put the numbers to at the moment.

Appealed bans happen, not very often, but they happen.

What would be the proposed process for something like this?

Say someone gets a week ban, someone appeals halfway through. What happens?

Is this something that could be solved with even more fluidity in allowing admins to handle bans for those that are away?

Would additional sections/info in ban appeals mitigate the time factor here?

The root issue here doesn't seem to be people getting banned, but the time it takes to process appeals. Usually these are the appeals that aren't very cut and dry, or have people buckling down on either side and refusing to budge.

Can you say with absolute certainty that people that have acted in bad faith have not received lousy timed bans? Can you prove that?

What about those that have not learned from a mistake?

What if they repeat that mistake while their ban is 'pending' or receive another ban for something else during that time period? What happens?
Hugs
ekaterina
Byond Username: Ekaterina von Russland

Post by ekaterina » #665432

I agree with this proposal. This is a great idea, emulating protections that defendants in real life also have.
I have a confirmed grand total of 1 merged PR. That basically means I'm a c*der now. 8-)
toemas wrote: ekaterina is really funny because they just consistently say what should be complete common sense (...) and then they get dogpiled by everyone in the thread
kinnebian wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:51 am i agree with ekaterina but in a less aggressive manner
sinfulbliss wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:03 am Marina is actually a very high quality roleplayer, believe it or not, and a pretty fun and good-faith player in my experience.
warbluke wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:03 am Suboptimal research play detected, deploying lethal force.
Timberpoes wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:50 am No deviations allowed. All must know the meta. All must power the game.
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #665458

If you want to talk about emulating protections defendants in real life have, don't come here.

We don't have separation of powers. Our judiciary, executive and legislature are all the same body: The admin team.

We just about managed habeas corpus, and even appeals stemming from that concept are overseen by the same party that initially placed the note or ban.

We don't have a concept of bail while hearing your appeal, either.

Also, we're just a video game. Shit's complicated enough already. Let's keep it simple.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
Mice World
Byond Username: Mice World

Post by Mice World » #665464

I don't see this as a problem. If an admin constantly bans players for awful reasons, they'll be deadmined. If an admin bans someone in obvious bad faith, they'll be deadmined. Well, ideally they should anyway.

Full ban appeals (Ban + Note removed) are fairly rare and I don't agree with changing how bans work just to account for them.
It keeps getting worse!?
LoveMirror
Byond Username: LoveMirror

Post by LoveMirror » #665479

ekaterina wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:36 pm I agree with this proposal. This is a great idea, emulating protections that defendants in real life also have.
a ban on /tg/ is not comparable to a real life stint in jail bro.
go outside and inhale some fresh air, might help those neurons
Image Image
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Post by TheFinalPotato » #665485

stupid
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?
Turbonerd
Byond Username: AccountName5

Post by Turbonerd » #665491

TheFinalPotato wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:32 pm stupid
conrad
Byond Username: Conrad Thunderbunch

Post by conrad » #665496

ekaterina wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:36 pm I agree with this proposal. This is a great idea, emulating protections that defendants in real life also have.
Emulate real life prosecution when administrating silly spessmen gas sim.

I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here.
And now a word from our sponsors:
dendydoom wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:51 am conrad is a badass
Armhulen wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:08 pm
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:13 pm
Kendrickorium wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:53 am
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:24 am
conrad wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
Speak for yourself two-eyes.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
absolutely based, do you wear an eyepatch?
That would render a cyclops blind.
RedBaronFlyer wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:52 pm
Drag wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
It would somehow manage to pick Birdshot Station for headmin if we did that
Lacran wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
Vekter wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
dendydoom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
Hoxha
Byond Username: Haddam Sussein

Post by Hoxha » #665503

bastardblaster
Byond Username: BastardBlaster

Post by bastardblaster » #665504

Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #665608

At least make them pay bail.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #665626

This doesn't seem like a good idea. If temp bans are suspended upon appeal, admins won't be able to get rid of players without permabanning them, so they'll just perma instead. Admins already use permas way too often when 1 week, 2 week, 1 month etc. bans would've been just as good, this will make it worse.
Spoiler:
Riggle
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Riggle

Post by Riggle » #665697

Don't you think if this gets implemented the admin team will get more bad faith ban appeals? And before you say we should punish players for those that's not a good idea.

Taking a break for a day or two isn't a bad thing, it helps with burnout. It might not be fair, but please keep in mind that this is a game. You won't die from shock of not playing it for a bit.

Of you're getting banned in the first place you might want to consider not breaking the rules.
Very cool link
Look at my cool text
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #665711

Riggle wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:39 pm Don't you think if this gets implemented the admin team will get more bad faith ban appeals? And before you say we should punish players for those that's not a good idea.

Taking a break for a day or two isn't a bad thing, it helps with burnout. It might not be fair, but please keep in mind that this is a game. You won't die from shock of not playing it for a bit.

Of you're getting banned in the first place you might want to consider not breaking the rules.
This is for the people that don't break the rules and still get banned. Not for those that do.
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master

Post by Misdoubtful » #665720

Honestly this proposal still needs plenty of fleshing out otherwise you can expect more questions to be coming in that need answering.

Especially if that proposal hinges on potentially making more work for everyone involved.
Hugs
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #665731

the actual topic seems like a more interesting one, specifically should there be any reimbursement to a person who was "wrongfully" banned / punishment for a "wrongful" ban.

If this is the topic we're sticking with, no way. Id rather have "you must answer appeals within X time or its free to be handled by someone else" be tighter as opposed to anyone who contests a ban gets free pass to cause potentially more trouble.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
TheLoLSwat
Byond Username: TheLoLSwat

Post by TheLoLSwat » #665847

wait guys on second thought... lets implement this right now...... for the health of the game...
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #665850

TheLoLSwat wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:25 am wait guys on second thought... lets implement this right now...... for the health of the game...
Wait a second...
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #665919

Cobby wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:34 pm "you must answer appeals within X time or its free to be handled by someone else" be tighter as opposed to anyone who contests a ban gets free pass to cause potentially more trouble.
oooOoOoo now THIS is a cool idea. Like those pizza delivery companies that promise a free pizza if they’re over 30 minutes late.

so let’s say you request headmin review or something for a few days ban and they end up overruling it, even removing the note - but you were banned for a few days maybe even a week unjustly technically. maybe they should give you like …… an antag token or something? if you had to serve time banned after it was overruled.
Spoiler:
Jackraxxus
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Jackraxxus

Post by Jackraxxus » #665922

sinfulbliss wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:17 am
Cobby wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:34 pm "you must answer appeals within X time or its free to be handled by someone else" be tighter as opposed to anyone who contests a ban gets free pass to cause potentially more trouble.
oooOoOoo now THIS is a cool idea. Like those pizza delivery companies that promise a free pizza if they’re over 30 minutes late.

so let’s say you request headmin review or something for a few days ban and they end up overruling it, even removing the note - but you were banned for a few days maybe even a week unjustly technically. maybe they should give you like …… an antag token or something? if you had to serve time banned after it was overruled.
I want this. Not because I think it's a good idea or anything, but because I want to see people intentionally get themselves wrongly banned, then appeal it and get it overturned late (By somehow making it a super-edge case maybe that requires a lot of discussion maybe?) purely for the antag token. I think it would be funny.
iamgoofball wrote:Vekter and MrMelbert are more likely to enforce the roleplay rules Manuel is supposed to be abiding by than Wesoda or Jackraxxus are.
Qbmax32
Byond Username: Qbmax32
Github Username: qbmax32

Post by Qbmax32 » #665985

my admin feedback thread

quotes
Spoiler:
wesoda25 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:02 am Qbmax32 is quite literally one of the dumbest individuals I have ever had the misfortune of coming into contact with. He has zero redeemable traits, and honestly I have to suppress my gag reflex every time he shows up in a conversation.
Malkraz wrote:YES
DRINK THE PISS QB
angelstarri wrote:qbmax is a retard
imsxz wrote:mythic please stop you’ve hit rock bottom and you KEEP DIGGING
deedubya wrote:I'll defend to the death your right to scream "NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER" on a constant basis, but I'll also equally defend the right of people to call you a fuckin' pillock for doing it.
datorangebottle wrote:what, not having to act like customer service in a volunteer customer service position?

Here's a rebuttal: you're literally in a customer service slash celebrity position. Volunteer or not.
Malkraz wrote:can you stop posting this shit
Nalzul wrote:Fuck Blob (can you imagine how hot it would be to be gangbanged by a bunch of blobbernauts, the blob, and spores)
Wyzack wrote:qbmax your pathetic display of abhorrent burgercraft has brought shame onto the omnivores
Plapatin wrote:i AM the senate
BONERMASTER wrote:I am a big thinker, and it would only be logical if my character had a big head as well. And glasses. Because only people that think, wear glasses.
feem wrote:i tried to send canisters of urine to the station but ended up turning all oxygen into urine and breaking lavaland and also breathing
Anonmare wrote:Each post in this thread can't settle on what it wants to be, but yet, each one is more cursed than the last.
Beesting12 wrote:please write an apology to this forums, this community, the host, and the internet as a whole for the data storage space you wasted with this complaint.
Vile Beggar wrote:i don't like this thread
imsxz wrote:nervore
FantasticFwoosh wrote:I will whisper sweet nothings that will confuse and perhaps scare you a little, but enhance the experience no-less.
afelinidisfinetoo wrote:By the way, the person who posted that catgirl porn on the github page was me. If anyone wants my private stash just PM me
Nervere wrote:Anything for a femoid.....
Qbopper wrote:I'm a dumb poopy butthead
CitrusGender wrote:god i love it when people feed me my own fried legs
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #666046

I think its far less stupid than ignoring obvious bullshit bans for weeks and keeping people banned while ignoring the appeals.
mstachife
Byond Username: Mstachife

Post by mstachife » #666085

this assumes reviewing ban appeals is a full time job
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #666087

Suspend "No Peanut" rules on ban appeals after 4 days with no admin response
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #666097

Pandarsenic wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:06 am Suspend "No Peanut" rules on ban appeals after 4 days with no admin response
Groundbreaking. Let’s make it 3 days though. Maybe even 2.
[this space reserved]
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #666099

I would personally go for 2 days but I think that might be too radical of a proposal to get through

SHIT I should've started there then presented 4 days as the compromise option, I'm bad at this
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #666110

Counter proposal, we add this but if your appeal is rejected you are put in a real jail to ensure balance.
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #666116

No, what? This is stupid. It's a valid point to want headmins to handle ban appeals faster, but the vast majority of bans are upheld by them and a ban isn't automatically unjust simply because you think it is.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #666119

Pandarsenic wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:09 am I would personally go for 2 days but I think that might be too radical of a proposal to get through

SHIT I should've started there then presented 4 days as the compromise option, I'm bad at this
6 hours. final offer
[this space reserved]
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #666120

I get the sentiment behind this, but this is a much greater pain in the ass administratively than it's worth. I'm not particularly worried about players coming back during their open appeal to cause trouble since generally if it's a timed ban, we don't expect them to come back and cause trouble, we just want to give them a timeout to think on their actions. Just seems like a massive pain in the ass to unban them once the appeal is up, have several days worth of deliberation, and then reban them (possibly minus time served) after it's been decided against them.

I'd prefer the headmins be quicker in getting around to controversial ban appeals, but based on Rave's post in her campaign thread, sounds like they have busy and conflicting schedules making it difficult to discuss. I'm also assuming admins are already reprimanded for consistently bad bans, particularly ones where the investigation is lacking or there is a poor understanding of policy. The idea of compensation for unjustly serving a ban is also interesting, but once again it would be a pain to implement administratively. It would be nice if there was a code way to implement antag tokens (wyci, i know).

I would like to add that reviewing ban appeals is much more difficult than a lot of you are assuming. Investigating is much easier during the round when you can view logs per player and everyone is there for live questioning. Headmins investigating a ban appeal have to pull logs, read through them, wait long amounts of time for responses (if needed), and then discuss the applicable rules and policy if it's not clear cut, which it rarely is. It's easy to post your two cents on a peanut thread and go about your day when the consequences of your post are nil.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Riggle
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Riggle

Post by Riggle » #666130

CPTANT wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:21 pm -snip-
So only players who got banned unfairly would appeal? Sounds very optimistic. Unless you're proposing yet another committee that decides if someone got banned for breaking a rule or not. Head admins seem more than enough for me. Or are you proposing all rule 1 bans to be suspended? A lot of those are permabans anyway.
Very cool link
Look at my cool text
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #666141

Okay, I have thought for a while and I have come back with an actual criticism other than just "this is a stupid idea". It is, but I feel like I should at least tell you why.

Literally anyone who is banned for more than a day will appeal every ban they can because it doesn't matter if they're obviously in the wrong, all they would have to do would be to appeal, be rejected, then request a headmin appeal and they'd be unbanned until the headmins touch it.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #666221

Vekter wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:40 am Okay, I have thought for a while and I have come back with an actual criticism other than just "this is a stupid idea". It is, but I feel like I should at least tell you why.

Literally anyone who is banned for more than a day will appeal every ban they can because it doesn't matter if they're obviously in the wrong, all they would have to do would be to appeal, be rejected, then request a headmin appeal and they'd be unbanned until the headmins touch it.
So? They will still be banned for the same amount of time.
vect0r
Byond Username: Vect0r

Post by vect0r » #666249

It will be so much more work for a admin: if it takes this long for this amount of ban appeals, think about how long it would take if EVERY SINGLE BAN was appealed
VENDETTA+Cecilia Vujic
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #666276

CPTANT wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:43 pm
Vekter wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:40 am Okay, I have thought for a while and I have come back with an actual criticism other than just "this is a stupid idea". It is, but I feel like I should at least tell you why.

So? They will still be banned for the same amount of time.
I don't think you understand how many bans we hand out on a weekly basis.
Spoiler:

Sightld2
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Sightld2

Post by Sightld2 » #666336

Sounds like an issue of "Do you think the admins are right or wrong more often than not."

spookuni
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Spookuni

Post by spookuni » #668030

I intentionally left this thread until the new elects could weigh in on it, as while it's silly it is more or less direct criticism of our term.

Neither we nor they have any interest in implementing this system - it rewards bad faith play and appeal behaviour at the cost of the rounds of everyone who isn't copping bans, and frankly wouldn't be particularly effective if fast but good ban responses are the highest priority.

Spook: To be frank, if headmins have to immediately support bans for those bans to stick, you're going to see most bans get immediate headmin approval, regardless of deeper-merit. Properly going over a ban and making sure that procedure was followed and that everything was done fairly often takes time, especially when there are multiple bans up at once - time that you can't rush.
Rave: Do not implement
San: Do not implement
Elects: 3/3 Do not implement